Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 10:16:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 »
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you keep your bitcoins?  (Read 48734 times)
mrjoy15

Activity: 840
Merit: 504

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2017, 06:31:11 PM

I m storing my bitcoin in coinbase. As i don't have much, i am trying to keep it safely for future.
I would like to suggest you it's OK to keep your Bitcoin such of a third party exchange site in beginning, but you should conscious the security issue cause cause Coinbase not the best solution in the coming days. You turn off this service and will accept another secured wallet, which offer private key and so on like this.
NanaLelyakova

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 20, 2017, 08:22:11 PM

Well, to be absolutely accurate, you don't technically store bitcoins anywhere. What you store are the secure digital keys used to access your public bitcoin addresses and sign transactions. This information is stored in a bitcoin wallet.

Bitcoin wallets come in a variety of forms. There are five main types of wallet: desktop, mobile, web, paper and hardware. Here’s how they work.
richardsNY
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1091

View Profile
June 20, 2017, 09:18:41 PM

I'm using a desktop wallet. It has proven to be very reliable. Many people are using online wallets, but I don't completely trust online sites and feel better having coins on my desktop.
I never bothered with offline/paper wallets, I'm not that scared of being hacked.

Desktop clients are fine in terms of using them for the regular sending and receiving practices on a daily basis. Paper wallets are meant to provide people an ultimate form of offline cold storage. It will make any hack attempt unsuccessful, plus you are not exposing yourself to the risk of a system crash that might result in potential data loss, or that your HDD suddenly stops working completely. It's a complete form of protection. You should value your coins more, hackers are not the only threat....
Bagaji

Activity: 1330
Merit: 291

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2017, 09:26:24 PM

I will suggest you safe them in an offline wallet since you have a large amount of Bitcoin and you want to safe save them for a long period of time. For saving such amount in online wallet paper is some how risky for that kind of period you want to safe them. I have some of my own saved in an offline wallet for fear of unknown.
Betfair

Activity: 812
Merit: 260

View Profile
June 20, 2017, 09:37:19 PM

long term paper wallet, wouldnt invest hard wallet thing for now.
richmcrich

Activity: 1120
Merit: 507

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 03:15:00 AM

Since i dont hold any big volume of bitcoins my coins are always into two places, poloniex where i can trade or lend them and he other part is at blockchain since i do use them for a long time and havent any issue, just didnt liked the extra fees they started to charge to moove funds from other wallets we have.
Poloniex and sites like c-cex are commonly used like you said for keeping funds but also since the fees has increased significantly, people take the help of these exchanges as they send out mass payouts and hence lot lesser fee is given. I am not sure if it's a good idea to keep bitcoins in a online wallet like poloniex but for sure it's much easier and convenient and no long blockchains need to be downloaded.
KrakAJAX

Activity: 167
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 03:26:46 AM

Keep your main stash in a hardware wallet. I prefer the Trezor over the ledger, but I haven't tried the ledger blue yet which seems to be more advanced so someone let me know if that is a good option. Have to keep some on Poloniex as well just incase I need some quick altcoins!!
Smarty14392

Activity: 560
Merit: 286

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 04:04:07 AM

I dont actutally store my coins. I have invested all my coins in investbox in yobit and some are busy trading. I get enough profit daily by investing and trading. Even i am looking for a big investment. If you get any good investment site with a really good interest rate, let me know via pm. I would surely like to invest my coins in a good huge investment site for some really good profit. Trading has became much more risky these days, even a good research fails some times due to pumping and dumping groups so im looking to leave trading and make some profit by investing or lending my bitcoin.
dryandry

Activity: 173

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 04:16:10 AM

i choose online service to store my bitcoin
i use blockchain and coinbase
blockchain for long term and coinbase for short term
tanghere02

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 05:28:39 AM

I use online wallet like blockchain to keep my bitcoin as of now. I heard that it is safe to keep it on hard wallet or cold storage but I don't have those yet so I am sticking with online wallet as of now.

▄▄█████████▄▄                         ▄█▄                ▀██████▄                   ▄██████▀
        ▄█████████████████▄▄                    ▄███▄                 ▀██████▄               ▄██████▀
         ▀███████████████████▄                 ▄█████▄                  ▀██████             ██████▀
           █▀▀       ▀▀████████▄              ▄███████▄                   ██████▄         ▄██████
  ▄█▄                    ▀██████▄            ▄█████████▄                   ▀██████▄     ▄██████▀
 ▄████▄                    ▀█████▄          ▄███████████▄                    ███████▄ ▄███████
▄█████▀                     ▀█████▄        ▄██████▀██████▄                     █████▀▀▀█████▀
██████                       ██████       ▄██████   ██████▄                     ▀█▀     ▀█▀
██████                       ██████      ▄██████     ██████▄                     █       █
██████                       ██████     ▄██████       ██████▄                   ▄█▄     ▄█▄
▀██████▄                    ▄█████▀    ▄██████         ██████▄                ▄█████▄▄▄█████▄
 ▀██████▄                  ▄█████▀    ▄██████                                ███████▀ ▀███████
  ▀██████▄               ▄██████▀    ▄██████                               ▄██████▀     ▀██████▄
   ▀████████▄▄       ▄▄████████▀    ▄██████                               ▄██████         ██████▄
     ▀███████████████████████▀     ▄██████                 ██████▄      ▄██████▀           ▀██████▄
       ▀▀█████████████████▀▀      ▄██████                   ██████▄   ▄██████▀               ▀██████▄
           ▀▀█████████▀▀         ▄██████                     ██████▄▄██████▀                   ▀██████▄
  O HOLD YOUR
OWN KEYS!
  O   O [SUCCESS   
RAISE
US$18mil+]
ipungadhi

Activity: 272
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 05:32:23 AM

I keep my bitcoin into online web wallet.  I know that many peoples don't gibe a trust for online wallet but for now i haven't any support  equipment to keep my bitcoin into desktop wallet or cold wallet.

Same with me.  I do not have any wallet onlt the wallet I used for about two years now.  And I think it is safe to store my bitcoin in that wallet because before you could actually make any transaction, you will require to have an identification.  Illegal transactiin were blocked, I heard it on some of my friends.  So it is okay for me to just store my bitcoins there.
Honestly i never wear desktop wallet. Because I used to go out so my desktop wallet did not suit me so I needed a wallet that could be carried anywhere and flexible so I could use it without using a personal laptop.

Azkabal

Activity: 389
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 05:39:53 AM

I keep my savings on the Xapo, but I'm afraid to make a big investment so far, although this is ar good idea maybe.
Ekanenf

Activity: 290

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 05:53:18 AM

How do you currently store your coins

The best way to store your crypto is in a hardware wallet. I really recommend the Trezor, I recently got one and the peace of mind it brings is worth every satoshi I paid for it.

You bet, because this is a very safe place where we could store our bitcoin without worrying of it being hack. Hardware wallet is a little bit expensive but it is worth it, hardware wallet is too hard to hack unlike those web wallets out there which is very vulnerable. Blockchain have lost $400 million worth of bitcoin way back 2015(correct me if I'm wrong) because someone hack it, but the hacker was caught by the authority.

But since this hardware wallet is a little expensive that is why people are still using this web wallets because this is just for free, the only thing that they are going to pay is the transaction fee of it.
crwth
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1256

Try Gunbot for a month go to -> https://gunbot.ph

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2017, 06:15:45 AM

The best way to store your crypto is in a hardware wallet. I really recommend the Trezor, I recently got one and the peace of mind it brings is worth every satoshi I paid for it.

You bet, because this is a very safe place where we could store our bitcoin without worrying of it being hack. Hardware wallet is a little bit expensive but it is worth it, hardware wallet is too hard to hack unlike those web wallets out there which is very vulnerable. Blockchain have lost $400 million worth of bitcoin way back 2015(correct me if I'm wrong) because someone hack it, but the hacker was caught by the authority.

But since this hardware wallet is a little expensive that is why people are still using this web wallets because this is just for free, the only thing that they are going to pay is the transaction fee of it.
Well, I haven't tried Trezor, but I would want to have that. I think that's an awesome hardware wallet. I don't know yet if they ship here in my country, but definitely, I think it could be done. In an online exchange, that's definitely a hard thing to do. Web wallets are not recommended especially if you are storing lots of bitcoins.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
DoublerHunter

Activity: 2590
Merit: 644

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 07:24:51 AM

Well, I haven't tried Trezor, but I would want to have that. I think that's an awesome hardware wallet. I don't know yet if they ship here in my country, but definitely, I think it could be done. In an online exchange, that's definitely a hard thing to do. Web wallets are not recommended especially if you are storing lots of bitcoins.
Trezor is the best hardware wallet for me because it is one very first hardware wallet and it is trusted by a lot of big companies, big name people and also majority of the bitcoin users here in our community. They ship in any part of the world as long as your location is reachable by the shippers that they have.
Dudeperfect

Activity: 1190
Merit: 534

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2017, 07:34:39 AM

I use online wallet like blockchain to keep my bitcoin as of now. I heard that it is safe to keep it on hard wallet or cold storage but I don't have those yet so I am sticking with online wallet as of now.

Yes, you heard right that storing bitcoins in cold storage is the best practice to follow as anyone having the private keys are technically able to spend the bitcoins associated with that wallet. So in the case of exchange, they can spend your bitcoins but since they are offering a trustee service they don't do it without your permission. However, if their database if hacked or compromised then in such case hackers can get the access to your funds which is dangerous.

Creating a basic cold storage is not so difficult. You can create a paper wallet, which will hardly cost a dollar or two. However, don't forget to take extreme precautions while generating and printing paper wallet.
ppaul15

Activity: 56
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 08:52:09 AM

I maintain all of my bitcoins in an online wallet like coins.ph, blockchain, xapo and coinbase. I split all of bitcoin to prevent major loss of my btc just in case of hack. Also some of my bitcoin are in trading to gain some profit.
Joshapat

Activity: 1526
Merit: 255

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 09:45:29 AM

I maintain all of my bitcoins in an online wallet like coins.ph, blockchain, xapo and coinbase. I split all of bitcoin to prevent major loss of my btc just in case of hack. Also some of my bitcoin are in trading to gain some profit.
I suggest to change to offline or paper wallet wallet, this is because the security level of a web wallet is still doubtful, unless you activate features 2FA from google or SMS verification.

▄▄███▄    ▄███▄▄
     ▄▀▀    █    █    ▀▀▄
    ██    ▄▄▀    ▀▄▄    ██
    ▀▄▄▄█▀▀        ▀▀█▄▄▄▀
  ▄▄█▀█▄              ▄█▀█▄▄
▄█▀     ▀▀█▄     ▄▄█▀▀     ▀█▄
██          ▀█▄▄█▀          ██
▀█▄     ▄▄▄█▀▀  ▀▀▀▄▄▄     ▄█▀
  ▀█▄▄▄▀▀            ▀▀▄▄▄█▀
   █▀▀▄▄▄            ▄▄▄▀▀█
   ██  ▀▀▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▀  ██
    ▀▄     █      █     ▄▀
      ▀▀▄▄▄▀      ▀▄▄▄▀▀
cogwise
  ▄
█  █
  █
█  █
  █
█  █

█
█  █
  █
█  █
  █
█  █
  ▀
Hyper-charge your trading with intelligent insights   ▄
█  █
  █
█  █
  █
█  █

█
█  █
  █
█  █
  █
█  █
  ▀
▄█████████████████████▄
███████████████████████
████▀███████▀   ▀▀▀▄███
███▌  ▀▀███▌       ▄███
███▀               ████
███▄              █████
████▄            ██████
█████▄▄        ▄███████
████▄       ▄██████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀

▄█████████████████████▄
███████████████████████
████████████████▀▀█████
███████████▀▀▀    █████
██████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ██████
███▄     ▄█▀     ██████
██████▄ █▀      ███████
███████▌▐       ███████
████████ ▄██▄  ████████
██████████████▄████████
▀█████████████████████▀

▄█████████████████████▄
███████████████████████
█████  ▄▄▄▄▄  ▄▀███████
█████  █████  ██▄▀█████
█████  █▀▀██▄▄▄▄  █████
█████  █▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █████

█████  █▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █████
█████  █▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █████
█████  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  █████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀

gokselgok

Activity: 143

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 09:47:55 AM

yes that's correct but if you want to be safer you must buy cold wallets like Ledger or Trezor it is much safer rather than  hot wallets and in August 1 we don't know how it gonna be because of the  UASAF. Hoping that we don't loose any bitcoin on this because we hard earn this one.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
CryptoTalk.org| 
MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!
🏆
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 09:59:19 AM

I maintain all of my bitcoins in an online wallet like coins.ph, blockchain, xapo and coinbase. I split all of bitcoin to prevent major loss of my btc just in case of hack.
Instead of having to deal with just one central authority, you are putting yourself in a very uncomfortable position by making use of four different online wallet services. You think that will protect you against theft or hacks? Roll Eyes If you read below your post, you'll see others providing you an important bit of information.

in August 1 we don't know how it gonna be because of the  UASAF. Hoping that we don't loose any bitcoin on this because we hard earn this one.
If things go as they are right now, there won't be an UASF happening in August. Even if there was, and it did result in a chain split, you wouldn't lose any coins.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 »
  Print  

Jump to: