Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 01:06:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ... 146 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][HLM] HELIUM  (Read 189395 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
adolf512

Activity: 532
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 21, 2017, 10:21:41 AM

it is the concept of PoS/masternodes i have an issue with http://www.truthcoin.info/blog/pow-cheapest/#example-2-delegated-proof-of-stake-dpos but if you do have masternodes i think the reward should be decreased with the number of masternodes, resulting in a good distribution and we will not end up withvthe dash situation where almost all coins are locked into mastetnodes.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SockPuppetAccount

Activity: 882
Merit: 500

MiG Messenger - earn while chatting

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2017, 11:38:09 AM

Has the hashing algorithm been decided on yet?  It is a DASH fork so that would seem to imply x11 but it is also an "economic fork" (as coins101 likes to call it) from SPR so I'm guessing spread-x11 maybe under consideration.

I would strongly advise using x11 rather than spread-x11.  I will be happy to explain my reasoning if I need to, but figured I'd ask first and save myself the keystrokes if x11 has already been decided on.

I have no objection  with going for 1,000 HLM from the start. There should be no in embarrassment in using Dash code as long as the plan is to use it as a foundation to build on and I don't think having the same 1000 Coin requirement is going to make HLM look like a simple clone.  Especially over the long term.

Agreed.  To be honest, I have no strong opinion on the question of masternode collateral but the thread has been very slow lately, so I felt obligated to pull an opinion out of my ass to help spark the discussion.
chrysophylax
Legendary

Activity: 2814
Merit: 1091

--- ChainWorks Industries ---

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2017, 11:42:10 AM

it is the concept of PoS/masternodes i have an issue with http://www.truthcoin.info/blog/pow-cheapest/#example-2-delegated-proof-of-stake-dpos but if you do have masternodes i think the reward should be decreased with the number of masternodes, resulting in a good distribution and we will not end up withvthe dash situation where almost all coins are locked into mastetnodes.

ok ...

that seems fair enough ...

though what number would you suggest - and in what opposition to ( dash for example? ) ? ...

distribution is not all the that needs to be looked as well in my opinion ... the coin cap and what the masternodes will be used for ( servicenodes? ) ... algo - and solo / pool mining - as well as the miner ( which is determined by the algo of course ) ...

all in all though - it will be an interesting project to watch and be involved in ...

#crysx

chrysophylax
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2017, 11:48:04 AM

Has the hashing algorithm been decided on yet?  It is a DASH fork so that would seem to imply x11 but it is also an "economic fork" (as coins101 likes to call it) from SPR so I'm guessing spread-x11 maybe under consideration.

I would strongly advise using x11 rather than spread-x11.  I will be happy to explain my reasoning if I need to, but figured I'd ask first and save myself the keystrokes if x11 has already been decided on.

I have no objection  with going for 1,000 HLM from the start. There should be no in embarrassment in using Dash code as long as the plan is to use it as a foundation to build on and I don't think having the same 1000 Coin requirement is going to make HLM look like a simple clone.  Especially over the long term.

Agreed.  To be honest, I have no strong opinion on the question of masternode collateral but the thread has been very slow lately, so I felt obligated to pull an opinion out of my ass to help spark the discussion.

out your ass? ... hahaha ...

well - algo for me has ALWAYS been an issue on the spread front - even in the early days ...

solo mining / pool mining always existed - and even when i was mining in a private pool - no one wanted to believe it was possible ... but there you have it ...

so algo ( if it was a more standardized 'regular' algo ) would attract a greater number of miners ( and subsequent dumpers ... no - not me ) as well as community interest and investors ... let spread do what gerogem - i mean spread - does ... and let helium do what helium does ... but in reference to mining an algo that is 'easier' to mine - that has always been an argument i seemed to lose each and every time ...

so i am in the same mindset about algo as i was in spr ... KISS - keep it simple stupid ...

difficult mining algos DO have their place ... but not in a fork of this magnitude in my opinion ...

#crysx

Diegox

Activity: 329
Merit: 147

View Profile
March 21, 2017, 11:48:58 AM

Will there be a bounty campaign?

SEMUX   -   An innovative high-performance blockchain platform  
▬▬▬▬▬      Powered by Semux BFT consensus algorithm      ▬▬▬▬▬
Github    -    Discord    -    Twitter    -    Telegram    -    Get Free Airdrop Now!
adolf512

Merit: 101

View Profile
March 21, 2017, 12:30:32 PM

though what number would you suggest - and in what opposition to ( dash for example? ) ? ...
Maybe something like this

20% to development
30% to masternodes
50% to miners.

https://www.docdroid.net/Vkl7a2E/helium.ods.html

coins101 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 21, 2017, 01:17:32 PM

Will there be a bounty campaign?

You will be able to suggest a project work package, cost it, give some deliverables, some KPIs so your work can be judged and ask for a distribution from the project to pay you to do the work. Others should also be able to compete with you.

Thinking about this, we'll probably also now ask that you show you have some connection with Helium, like you are part of the network. The threshold for that should be something but not prohibitive - a token gesture, as it were.
BonzoCorleone

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

@bonzocorleonee

View Profile
March 22, 2017, 04:50:27 AM

Cant wait for spreadcoin snapshot to helium, hopefully exchange will agree to do snapshot there. Best of luck to both helium and spreadcoin team!

Keep your Alts close, but your Bitcoin closer.
somogyipeti

View Profile
March 22, 2017, 04:53:24 AM

Please use some nicer grapich in the OP devs Smiley I tlooks like it made a 12 year old children Smiley
flaminius

Activity: 140

View Profile
March 22, 2017, 08:53:31 AM

This looks interesting, and I look forward to seeing how it develops. I'm mining some spreadcoin now so I can get some helium later!
zoose

Activity: 163

View Profile
March 23, 2017, 08:44:27 AM

This looks promising and you have already succeeded in creating buzz. Good job, I'll be following your progress.

Cryptopia
    Exchange  Mineshaft 2.0   Marketplace   Rewards  CoinInfo   [[Bitcointalk]] [Facebook] [Twitter]
▪▪▪▪▪■■■■■■■▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄■■■■■■■▪▪▪▪▪
Cryptocurrency Platform Services and Development 
miramare

Activity: 1162
Merit: 568

View Profile
March 23, 2017, 09:04:02 AM

Cant wait for spreadcoin snapshot to helium, hopefully exchange will agree to do snapshot there. Best of luck to both helium and spreadcoin team!

forgive me. What's spread coin? Can't see it on market cap.
BonzoCorleone

Activity: 154

@bonzocorleonee

View Profile
March 23, 2017, 10:28:15 AM

forgive me. What's spread coin? Can't see it on market cap.
It is on coin marketcap. Spreadcoin, the ticker is SPR. You can find it in bittrex. Hold and keep your SPR in your wallet till snapshot happen, so you got free helium and still keep your spread coin.

Keep your Alts close, but your Bitcoin closer.
Taltos777

Activity: 106
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 25, 2017, 12:21:57 PM

I love the idea of Helium.  Huge thank you!  keep us posted on it's developments.

I have a question please,  What are the amount of helium coins you thinking of needing for the masternodes please?  that way i can buy the right amount and have ready when masternodes come online.  thank you again!
-J
Taltos777

Activity: 106

View Profile
March 25, 2017, 01:51:18 PM

secondly,  create a slack we can all start talking together about Helium!
yighftyf

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 25, 2017, 03:08:59 PM

agree , we can start talking together about Helium on slack
mm2543363588

Activity: 109

View Profile
March 25, 2017, 03:18:01 PM

When will the information be released?
KarmaShark

Activity: 615
Merit: 554

View Profile
March 25, 2017, 03:45:03 PM
Last edit: March 25, 2017, 03:56:01 PM by KarmaShark

I love the idea of Helium.  Huge thank you!  keep us posted on it's developments.

I have a question please,  What are the amount of helium coins you thinking of needing for the masternodes please?  that way i can buy the right amount and have ready when masternodes come online.  thank you again!
-J

Thank you for your interest in Helium, we truly enjoy hearing feedback of all kinds from the community.

In regards to your question, there is a Helium Slack channel in operation. Simply PM me your email address and an invite will be sent out. Once the project is officially launched we will open up the Slack channel to the greater public.

All other relevant information on Helium (including collateral amount to host a Masternode) will be coming soon, so keep your eyes posted on this thread as we will be keeping you all updated.
SockPuppetAccount

Activity: 882

MiG Messenger - earn while chatting

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2017, 01:48:09 PM

solo mining / pool mining always existed - and even when i was mining in a private pool - no one wanted to believe it was possible ... but there you have it ...

Pool mining with spread-x11 is 100% possible.  Ocminer could fire up a SPR mining pool with his eyes close in under 30 minutes flat, guaranteed.  Spread-x11 doesn't prevent pool mining, it more accurately could be described as heavily discouraging public pool mining because if a nefarious miner finds a block, he can keep the whole thing for himself rather than sharing it with the pool.  If it is a private pool where the pool operator trusts all those who are mining on it?  No problem.  Hell, get creative enough and I can imagine ways in which a public pool could function. Require miners to deposit a certain amount of collateral before the pool will begin accepting their hashes or something.  The only reason an ambitious pool operator hasn't done something like this yet is because SPR has never had a high enough marketcap to offer a sufficient economic incentive.

Spread-x11 is, to put it bluntly, trash.  A novelty born in a time when the big "threat" to Bitcoin was the centralization of mining.  A misguided (and to put it bluntly again, lazy) attempt at creating a coin that discourages centralization.

Let's do a little thought experiment.  Imagine if Bitcoin could not be pool mined for some reason.  Solo mining only.  At the current hashrate, an Antminer T9 should find a block about once every 5 years!!  Might as well go buy a lottery ticket instead.  Small time at-home hobby miners with one Antminer in their computer room or a dozen of them in their garage do not exist in this world.  The overall hashrate and security of Bitcoin is much lower in this world.  The only miners that can compete are giant, warehouse scale industrial mining farms. 

Preventing pool mining prevents centralization of the hashrate at said pools, at the cost of encouraging the centralization of hashrate in the hands of a small number of individual entities!

Pool mining is not the enemy of decentralization.  Pool mining increases decentralization by democratizing the blockchain.

Please coins101, do not hobble HLM with spread-x11.
chrysophylax
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2017, 04:04:09 PM

Pool mining with spread-x11 is 100% possible.  Ocminer could fire up a SPR mining pool with his eyes close in under 30 minutes flat, guaranteed.  Spread-x11 doesn't prevent pool mining, it more accurately could be described as heavily discouraging public pool mining because if a nefarious miner finds a block, he can keep the whole thing for himself rather than sharing it with the pool.  If it is a private pool where the pool operator trusts all those who are mining on it?  No problem.  Hell, get creative enough and I can imagine ways in which a public pool could function. Require miners to deposit a certain amount of collateral before the pool will begin accepting their hashes or something.  The only reason an ambitious pool operator hasn't done something like this yet is because SPR has never had a high enough marketcap to offer a sufficient economic incentive.

Spread-x11 is, to put it bluntly, trash.  A novelty born in a time when the big "threat" to Bitcoin was the centralization of mining.  A misguided (and to put it bluntly again, lazy) attempt at creating a coin that discourages centralization.

Let's do a little thought experiment.  Imagine if Bitcoin could not be pool mined for some reason.  Solo mining only.  At the current hashrate, an Antminer T9 should find a block about once every 5 years!!  Might as well go buy a lottery ticket instead.  Small time at-home hobby miners with one Antminer in their computer room or a dozen of them in their garage do not exist in this world.  The overall hashrate and security of Bitcoin is much lower in this world.  The only miners that can compete are giant, warehouse scale industrial mining farms.  

Preventing pool mining prevents centralization of the hashrate at said pools, at the cost of encouraging the centralization of hashrate in the hands of a small number of individual entities!

Pool mining is not the enemy of decentralization.  Pool mining increases decentralization by democratizing the blockchain.

Please coins101, do not hobble HLM with spread-x11.

thats not what i was mentioning ...

i was actually saying that at the time when community AND dev were saying NO POOLS - i was mining with a pool AND optimized miner ...

i didnt say much in the beginning - but when i did - no one believed me ... which was great because i had the private pool all to myself and a few others that knew about it ... that was it  ...

nowadays - you make it sound like it was just a known fact that pools existed for it all the time ... it didnt ... there was a NO POOLS connection with spreadcoin - and in fact the spreadx11 algo itself ... we killed that literally weeks into the release of the algo - not months ...

so now i dont say too much when it comes to things as such - especially optimized miners ... we just let lips flap and tongues wag so as to not get into these sorts of conversations down the track ... no offence - honestly ... and also why i personally argue to no avail with 'devs' like sp and his 'super-modded' miners ... he hasnt even caught up with our miners hashrates for spreadcoin ... and he is STILL selling that damned miner that he tweaks occasionally and gets more btc for ... now he has started on nexus - two months after we had already smashed the hell out of the hashrates for our miner also ...

which again - why we keep quiet about a lot of this ... we are 7steps ahead ... and we like it that way ...

anyway - point is - i agree with the whole pool mining system for a few reasons ... not least because i started mining when i first started crypto - but also because i built a farm ( thefarm - which looks like its got problems right now - but just for the sake of this conversation ) - shred more blocks with many miners - helped the network and blockchain by mining not only at one pool - but many ...

if the algo used is an algo that is readily available to have a pool built around it - then the whole decentralization concept works very very well ... especially with highly optimized miners ( more hash for the same equipment ) ...

so we are agreeing on many points here - and im actually surprised that ( even though i had brought the algo issue up a LONG time ago with spread - AND - no one listened or ignored me altogether ) you bring this up now with such fervor ... i like a lot Smiley ...

an algo that works - is easily distributed - easily replicated - and can be build on ( stratum / pools ) SHOULD be the type of algo that is used in helium ...

thats the main reason we are designing ( actually currently testing ) a new algo for granite as we speak ... one that is difficult to mine - but only on the cpu / cards mining - is NOT difficult to replicate / distribute - is not difficult to build upon ( stratum / pools ) ...

nice stuff ...

im with sockpuppet on this - dont hobble the coin with spreadx11 ...

#crysx

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ... 146 »
  Print  

Jump to: