Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 02:25:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Will bitcoin be used to support terrorists?  (Read 140867 times)
sikke

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 11, 2017, 02:04:15 AM

On March 8th, Cheollima Civil Defense(CCD) released a video on its website claiming:” Han Sol, the son of Kim Jong Nam, and two other family members were met quickly and relocated to safety. “ And they receive bitcoin for financial support. This is something nice to do. BUt what if bitcoin be used to support some bad organizations, even terrorists? Is this already happening?  What i am worrying is if bitcoin be widely used for bad things, negative news would be all over and bitcoin price will drop. It will lead to tougher regulation. Do u think world leaders are willing to kill btc to make sure they can fight terrirists?

It does make sense that terrorists might be interested in using bitcoin.

However they can essentially do the same thing with any other fiat currency, in paper notes. They are in fact more untraceable than bitcoin because bitcoin has a public ledger, even though the identifiers are not linked to one single person.

So you can't blame bitcoin for providing a perfectly legitimate service.

Much like bitcoin is being used for drugs, so is cash.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
madwica

Activity: 714
Merit: 531

View Profile
April 11, 2017, 02:06:30 AM

On March 8th, Cheollima Civil Defense(CCD) released a video on its website claiming:” Han Sol, the son of Kim Jong Nam, and two other family members were met quickly and relocated to safety. “ And they receive bitcoin for financial support. This is something nice to do. BUt what if bitcoin be used to support some bad organizations, even terrorists? Is this already happening?  What i am worrying is if bitcoin be widely used for bad things, negative news would be all over and bitcoin price will drop. It will lead to tougher regulation. Do u think world leaders are willing to kill btc to make sure they can fight terrirists?

yes they can do it without a doubt. bitcoin is open for all those who wants it , invested on it and want to earn thru it. we cannot dictate other person to how and when they may need to spend it. decision is in their hands.
Agree with you mate, bitcoin has freedom to used by all people in the world, users can spend bitcoin anywhere they want if they want to used in bad things they can and bitcoin is not required to give full personal information of each user that is why it is possible for that scenario.
Doofus (OP)

Activity: 102
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 11, 2017, 03:55:33 AM
Last edit: April 20, 2017, 01:46:18 AM by Doofus

Who can verify the news is factual? Or simply made up?

I have a member that was the head of a major mafia gang with global network. He managed the financials of this gang and at one time he was responsible to launder as much as 20% of the entire supply of Bitcoin available. It was no easy task. He had to use various means to spread (sort of) the Bitcoin allocation to various investment assets under the radar. Or course some of the means to do so includes using the services of localbitcoins.com and some unknown Bitcoin exchanges. Others include buying Bitcoin tokens from Chinese mining companies using Bitcoin itself. Today the gang has no more Bitcoin left. All successfully laundered into fiat. Do you believe this story? Who can verify as facts?

Even I can write fake news.

And by the way, did I tell you of a friend that is the step daughter of the ex-Phillipino prime minister? Apparently she is in ownership of some half a ton of pure gold bars.
first of all, the story is not made up!(http://news.8btc.com/bitcoin-plays-a-role-in-humanitarian-assistance) And i am not sure what kind of organization CCD is. certainly in this case, it did something good. my point is everything has two sides, if it could be used for good, it can also be used for bad. But is btc strong enough to face all this?
Przemax

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 11, 2017, 08:39:10 AM

If a terrorist would want to keep anonimity its better not to use bitcoin, as its doable to trace the user with some effort put. His bitcoin exchange accounts could be suspended as it is required to give a personal data to withdraw a money into a bank account. So in my opinion the bitcoin gives no advantage to the terrorists and the cash is still the king in illegal activities. The only option I see that a terrorist can benefit from bitcoin is to store the value in bitcoins and make deals exchanging bitcoins for cash.
SamMurphy

Activity: 107

Bitcoin unionhead who's neglecting fiat :)

View Profile
April 11, 2017, 11:37:42 AM

The bitcoin can be used from all of us, even if you are good or bad person. We can't be sure who use it and why. Not only terrorists but many bad guys using to do that they want. Bitcoin is anonymous, and we can control it who will use it. And that's why we can't complain about it, because like you, you don't want anyone else know what did you do with bitcoin, we don't have the authority to know about the others. 
Questat

Activity: 2828
Merit: 604

View Profile
April 11, 2017, 01:28:09 PM

The bitcoin can be used from all of us, even if you are good or bad person. We can't be sure who use it and why. Not only terrorists but many bad guys using to do that they want. Bitcoin is anonymous, and we can control it who will use it. And that's why we can't complain about it, because like you, you don't want anyone else know what did you do with bitcoin, we don't have the authority to know about the others. 
I'm sure it's the users responsibility or judgement on how to use bitcoin, it can be use at anything as users preference.
Whether bad or good, bitcoin is still a good tool for faster transaction online and it is the reason why it's very popular now.
Believe in bitcoin because it is the future...

skorupi17

Activity: 490
Merit: 256

View Profile
April 11, 2017, 03:08:04 PM

I'm sure it's the users responsibility or judgement on how to use bitcoin, it can be use at anything as users preference.
Whether bad or good, bitcoin is still a good tool for faster transaction online and it is the reason why it's very popular now.

Of course. Bitcoin does not decide on how it will be used, it just follows on how its user wants it to be used. If the user want bitcoin to be used to pay for crimes, used to buy drugs, pay prostitutes, or any other bad and illegal things, the user can freely do so. The user can also use bitcoin for good or neutral things such as paying for goods and services, donations and alike. Bottomline, bitcoin is just a tool for payment, neither good nor bad.
krisnt80

Activity: 729

View Profile
April 11, 2017, 03:21:12 PM

Bitcoin donations or crypto currencies wont make any difference, nowadays big donations are made to support terrorists, and nothing happens at all, banks dont care what the money is for as long they get their fee, easy as that. Bitcoin is a currencie that can be used for both sides, and there is no way to prevent the abuse of any of them. I doubt terrorists will risk their money over bitcoin, since they can loose money doing such, and they do have their costs.
jak3
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
April 11, 2017, 03:41:27 PM

i am not even suprised a bit with this news we all know what is bitcoin and how much privacy does it provides, and in addition to this some governments where trying to shut it down but thats because they still didn't get its working system. in this type of situation ofcourse any terrorists can use it for their own benifits even the black market is using bitcoin from its start, we can see bitcoin at the tor network anywhere
wuvdoll
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1025

View Profile
April 12, 2017, 01:25:11 PM

That’s the right answer. Anyone with half a brain knows that it’s not the currency that’s bad but the user  in the criminal act. Bitcoin in itself is just as capable as and other digital currency or fiat currency and should not be condemned just because someone used it for a bad purpose. Almost everything in the world would be banned if governments ran countries like that. I think that Bitcoin will not have a problem with this issue.
GreenBits
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1048

View Profile
April 12, 2017, 02:38:32 PM

Bitcoin donations or crypto currencies wont make any difference, nowadays big donations are made to support terrorists, and nothing happens at all, banks dont care what the money is for as long they get their fee, easy as that. Bitcoin is a currencie that can be used for both sides, and there is no way to prevent the abuse of any of them. I doubt terrorists will risk their money over bitcoin, since they can loose money doing such, and they do have their costs.

LOL I have to agree, so much illicit money is moved through the traditional financial system that bitcoin could never compete,.just as a function of scale. Bitcoin might be viable for money ttansfer, if there is liquidity. But buying anything that would fund a meaningful war effort, besides food, would be pretty difficult as no one really accepts bitcoin at the moment. Also, funding terrorism isn't a small dollar exercise; to convert the btc to fiat to actually buy stuff would probably set off AML/KYC flags at most legitimate banks.
YuginKadoya
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1169

View Profile
April 13, 2017, 08:51:31 AM

if you make enough research, they won't need bitcoin. Banks are calculated to make more money laundering. They might even move money in cash.
If you understand bitcoin then you will realized that they need bitcoin because bitcoin is anonymous and they can easily transfer money from one to another without being notice by the governments authorities. Bitcoin is being abused by the criminals in the black market and use it to sell and buy things illegally and we don't need to be surprise if the terrorists also do the same.

It can really happen, bitcoin truly is flexible and has a fast transaction transfer any where in the world if you really know the bitcoin address of the person you will send it too, actually it is long known that it is being used in an illegal way and the authorities can't make a move about it cause they don't control bitcoin.

Being not able to control by the government is the main reason why bad guys have an eye on it, It is use before on blackmarket or illegal activities that doesn't requires lots of detail or information on them. Bitcoin being abused by criminals that's why some country were banning it. But hoping terrorist or anyone might be able to realize the benefits of bitcoin to everyone and not let their selfishness and being greedy rules them.

It makes sense why they are using it, to suffice their needs and I think it is more faster if you have done illegal things that a normal bitcoin mining would do, and In my opinion there are good and bad things that may happen in the bitcoin community when they are engaging with bitcoin the good thing provided by them are the large transaction happening with them when they bought bitcoin using fiat that is a score for us to heighten up bitcoin value, but the bad effect of it is the government would really be against bitcoin because it is being use by illegal traders most of the time.
Dimelord

Activity: 490

View Profile
April 13, 2017, 07:02:28 PM

Just like US dollars are used for all illegal activities,bitcoin may also be used to support terrorists.We could neither control such things,nor we could blame bitcoins for that.Bitcoin is a decentralized currency created by satoshi to free people from banks.Its up to users how they use it.
erickkyut

Activity: 1176
Merit: 509

View Profile
April 22, 2017, 03:38:16 PM

Just like US dollars are used for all illegal activities,bitcoin may also be used to support terrorists.We could neither control such things,nor we could blame bitcoins for that.Bitcoin is a decentralized currency created by satoshi to free people from banks.Its up to users how they use it.

Bitcoin has a higher chance to be used in illegal activities and terrorism because of some of its features such as being decentralized and can use even without submitting some identification forms. It is most likely being used in the deep web according to the article I had read.
Serellyn

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 22, 2017, 03:48:53 PM

It probably is already being used to support terrorists considering the illegal activities that we already know that it's used for, an example of this is that it is used to buy illegal items on the darknet. Criminals are attracted to bitcoin as it offers anonymity (its very difficult to track). Being used by terrorists shouldn't have a negative or positive impact on the currency as i am sure that these same terrorists use other currencies such as USD and probably even CAD.
lemonade09

Activity: 98

View Profile
April 22, 2017, 03:51:34 PM

Probably but we know that bitcoin is anonymous and free to use by anyone who wants to use and also including the terrorist they are allowed to use bitcoin and but we dont allowed them to do illegal transaction but we cannot stop them to do that because we know the law in bitcoin and it can use by anyone in the world and it gives you a instant payment in the world.
naughty1

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 22, 2017, 05:12:07 PM

Bitcoin is completely free and it is used by everyone, if you think that terrorists use it for illegal activities, I think it is feasible. Bitcoins are really too convenient for them when they want to buy anything. And for terrorists, weapons are always important, and they certainly use bitcoin as a currency for exchange. The deep web is an example of that. Not too surprised about this, everything always exists bad side and good side. Bitcoin is no exception.

▄▄█████████▄▄
     ▄███▀▀       ▀▀███▄
   ▄██▀               ▀██▄
  ██▀ ▄▄             ▄▄ ▀██
 ██▀  ▐██████▄ ▄██████▌  ▀██
██▀    ██  ███ ███  ██    ▀██
██      █▄ ▐██ ██▌ ▄█      ██
██▄      ▀ ▐██ ██▌ ▀      ▄██
 ██▄        ██ ██        ▄██
  ██▄        ███        ▄██
   ▀██▄              ▄██▀
     ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
        ▀▀█████████▀▀
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄      ██                                         
██████████  ▄▄  ██▄▄▄▄▄▄  ▄▄  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  ██▄     
██          ██  ████████  ██  ████████  █████████  ████▄   
██          ██  ██        ██     ▄▄██▀  ██   ▄██▀  ██ ▀██▄ 
██          ██  ██        ██  ▄██▀▀     ██▄██▀▀    ██   ▀██▄
██████████  ██  ████████  ██  ████████  █████████  ██     ██
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀▀     ▀▀

Finance

▄█▄    ▄▄▄▄▄▄███████
         ▄█████▄   ▀███████████
 █▄    ▄█████████    ██████████
 ███▄▄█████████▀   ▄██████████▌
 ████████████▀   ▄████████████
▐██████████▀   ▄█████████▀ ▀██
▐█████████▄   █████████▀     ▀
████████████▄  ▀█████▀
███████▀▀▀▀▀     ▀█▀

OrangeII

Activity: 2072
Merit: 503

#SWGT PRE-SALE IS LIVE

View Profile
April 22, 2017, 05:18:51 PM

Bitcoin is completely free and it is used by everyone, if you think that terrorists use it for illegal activities, I think it is feasible. Bitcoins are really too convenient for them when they want to buy anything. And for terrorists, weapons are always important, and they certainly use bitcoin as a currency for exchange. The deep web is an example of that. Not too surprised about this, everything always exists bad side and good side. Bitcoin is no exception.
You're right, sometimes things can be used for good and some are used for evil. Does not rule out that bitcoin is used to support terrorists, even it is also used in dark web. Well, it has been used for a long time on the site, the important thing is that it should use it for good.

.SWG.io.

..Pre-Sale is LIVE at $0.15..

..Buy Now..

``█████████████████▄▄
``````▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄
````````````````````▀██▄
```▀▀▀▀``▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄███
``````▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄``▄███
``▄▄▄▄▄▄▄```▄▄▄▄▄``▄███
``````````````````▄██▀
```````````████████████▄
````````````````````▀▀███
`````````▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄████
```▄▄▄``▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄`````███
`▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄``▄▄▄▄▄▄`````███
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀████
```````````````````▄▄████
``▀▀▀▀▀``▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████
██``███████████████▀▀

FIRST LISTING
..CONFIRMED..

dothebeats
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 1352

Cashback 15%

View Profile
April 22, 2017, 05:28:23 PM

In all honesty, bitcoin is very prone into being used as a gateway to send illegal funds to terrorists due to its pseudo-anonymous nature; it is much harder to track as to where the money really went even though everytime you send a coin it leaves some taints or trails which you can follow—but that is easily prevented by using mixing services. Also, it is not new that weapons are being sold in exchange to bitcoins, so it might be that some weapons being used by terrorists are actually purchased using bitcoins.

.HUGE.
▄██████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄███████████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████████▄
███████▌██▌▐██▐██▐████▄███
████▐██▐████▌██▌██▌██▌██
█████▀███▀███▀▐██▐██▐█████

▀█████████████████████████▀

▀███████████████████████▀

▀█████████████████████▀

▀█████████████████▀

▀██████████▀▀
█▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
CASINSPORTSBOOK
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄█
cpfreeplz
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1042

View Profile
April 22, 2017, 05:30:51 PM

In all honesty, bitcoin is very prone into being used as a gateway to send illegal funds to terrorists due to its pseudo-anonymous nature; it is much harder to track as to where the money really went even though everytime you send a coin it leaves some taints or trails which you can follow—but that is easily prevented by using mixing services. Also, it is not new that weapons are being sold in exchange to bitcoins, so it might be that some weapons being used by terrorists are actually purchased using bitcoins.

But if you just replace bitcoin with $100 bills and you have the exact same answer. Bitcoins are just basically online cash. Technically you could always trace the serial number on a bill too (or at least banks or the government could).
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 »
  Print  

Jump to: