Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 11:27:23 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [Group Buy] Avalon ASIC Chips (SebastianJu) Batch 6 ordered (Closed)  (Read 125063 times)
SebastianJu (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2013, 12:32:37 AM

I'd like to apply for one [1] single (or 2 :->) chips from Avalon test batch.
I'm planning to make an open-source design for a miner that could be made at home.

What'd be so special about my project?
Simplicity - especially designed to be made at home

Use of development board Texas Instrument Stellaris Launchpad [or compatible version http://www.ti.com/ww/en/launchpad/tiva_c_head.html?DCMP=tivac-series&HQS=tivac-launchpad-b] - this will take a lot of complexity from the board - programmer, USB as well as [possibly] 32Mhz clock.
PCB's that are 2 sided [or 2 sides + 1 layer - they can be made at home], that could be etched using photosensitive spray [or even laser printer if someone can make small enough tracks reliably].
Common components, not some strange chips that must be ordered from china.

I plan on making a 16 chip version, this uC should handle that without problems. However scaling down won't be a problem.

What will you get in return?
Both PCB's and firmware will be distributed in open-source fashion. So if you like to make homemade devices [or just have a know-how, but don't want to pay anyone to build it] the design will be available well before the start.

Note: I still plan on making a design and open-sourcing it even if I'll don't get the chips. Just the designs will be available few months later :-)
Note2: I don't have any plans yet for making the miners for other people. I might consider it after I make a batch for myself. [knowing the costs, timeframe, etc.]

Sounds good to me... any objections from groupbuyers against giving him a chip or 2 if possible?

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
SebastianJu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2013, 12:39:44 AM

Good news... AlertBox gave me a ping... and i could see that the status at avalon for batch 2 changed to Processing finally... Smiley I wonder what brought this change but good that it happened...

szym00

Activity: 74
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 04:57:05 AM

I would like to get at least 1 sample chip for my 'test project'.

I am waiting for 80 from the Batch#1 so this one chip will be good  start for the beginning.
With this chip I will try to make the first sample of my project and test if hash algorithm implemented on my processor works. The PCB will be 2 layer. The controller will be some Atmel's AVR processor.
If this work I will make my final project with 80 chips - there will be 10 chips per board and modular design, so more 'sandwich layers' could be add Smiley
If someone would like to have something like this (if it works of course) I could make it and also distribute documentation for other people.

Thank you...
bcdev

Activity: 61

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 06:47:11 AM

I would like to get at least 1 sample chip for my 'test project'.

I am waiting for 80 from the Batch#1 so this one chip will be good  start for the beginning.
With this chip I will try to make the first sample of my project and test if hash algorithm implemented on my processor works. The PCB will be 2 layer. The controller will be some Atmel's AVR processor.
If this work I will make my final project with 80 chips - there will be 10 chips per board and modular design, so more 'sandwich layers' could be add Smiley
If someone would like to have something like this (if it works of course) I could make it and also distribute documentation for other people.

Thank you...
Are you planning on using AVR or AVR32?
In my opinion: 125ns is too fast for normal AVR. [It's only 2 instructions/second at 16Mhz and while I do think it's possible, it'd have to be written in ASM].
What's your opinion on this subject?
szym00

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 06:49:32 AM

In my opinion: 125ns is too fast for normal AVR. [It's only 2 instructions/second at 16Mhz and while I do think it's possible, it'd have to be written in ASM].
What's your opinion on this subject?

Currently I am thinking about some ATxmega processor.
bcdev

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 06:51:51 AM

https://raw.github.com/BitSyncom/avalon-ref/master/SPEC/A3256Q48-130507-V03-EN.pdf
daemondazz

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 06:58:15 AM

For the Caterpillar, I'm planning on using an Arduino level controller (haven't decided if we'll be using the Aruindo bootloader or not) and an external CPLD to handle the serial comms.

Computers, Amateur Radio, Electronics, Aviation - 1dazzrAbMqNu6cUwh2dtYckNygG7jKs8S
szym00

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 06:59:10 AM

That is why I wish to have this one sample to make some tests before the first Batch will come Smiley I have to check if my idea is good and if not I will change it and make some other.
krasnolud

Activity: 109

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2013, 07:10:23 AM

Good news... AlertBox gave me a ping... and i could see that the status at avalon for batch 2 changed to Processing finally... Smiley I wonder what brought this change but good that it happened...
Good job!
Thank you, Sebastian.

Now I can start counting "9-10 weeks"...
bcdev

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 07:14:54 AM

That is why I wish to have this one sample to make some tests before the first Batch will come Smiley I have to check if my idea is good and if not I will change it and make some other.
I really, really think that you should use something more powerful. There are plenty of arm developement boards that can be used. [Like the one I plan on using]
While it can be done in 2 AVR cycles [hopefully], it'd be VERY hard to implement. Do you have enough experience in AVR ASM?
Sorry, but based on your technical knowledge [who'd use 8-bit AVR for this task?] and lack of research [you didn't look for datasheet], I'd assign lower priority to give you sample chips. [Just my opinion, no offence meant.]

Sorry, didn't read your post properly.
You're right, ATxmega will be sufficent for this task.
szym00

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 07:23:07 AM

I have lot of experiences in electronics: creating, building, programming etc. so it is not a problem for me. I did not review the document you enclosed, I will do it later. Maybe you have right that 8bit is not so good idea... then I have to switch to 32bit, no problem Smiley

Currently I am wondering, because I do not know yet, how e.g. cgminer communicates with some uC boards via USB. How it sends data and in what kind of format... do you know something about it?

If you like we can switch to PM and not making a mess in this topic Smiley

Edited:
No problem Smiley
bcdev

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 07:59:05 AM

Currently I am wondering, because I do not know yet, how e.g. cgminer communicates with some uC boards via USB. How it sends data and in what kind of format... do you know something about it?
Not yet, but I don't think it's complicated. [As you didn't review the document - uC<-->ASIC communication is also preety simple]
I think that the biggest problem can be the interference on data/clock buses.
Just hope that there will be enough chips for both of us. :-)
Yes, let's do the rest of the technical communication elsewhere once we start building our Mighty Minerz :-P
szym00

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 08:35:03 AM

Just hope that there will be enough chips for both of us. :-)

Sebastian has to decide if we deserved on them Smiley
SebastianJu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2013, 10:57:07 AM

First thing today, the third batch is bought and paid:

Code:
Order 	Date 	        Status 	        Total 	 
#10369 May 23, 2013 On-hold ฿782.10 for 1 item

As far as i see in the table there are 602 chips in batch 3 open... i will post the table now, then answer pm's and posts...

ShadesOfMarble
Donator

Activity: 543
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 11:20:48 AM

Sounds like i should chose DHL for the next batch... though i doubt, because of lack of communication, that i can change EMS from last batches to DHL... i now tend to do it if possible even though its only a slight, felt, advantage...
You should. I made bad experiences ordering via EMS from China. Clearing customs is nightmare, because either you pay GdSk (Gesellschaft der Schnellkuriere) very much for doing it for you or you have to do it yourself. (I actually tried it but couldn't complete the customs form in which question like "Kennzeichen des Transportfahrzeugs" were asked...)

Review of the Spondoolies-Tech SP10 „Dawson“ Bitcoin miner (1.4 TH/s)

[22:35] <Vinnie_win> Did anyone get paid yet? | [22:36] <Isokivi> pirate did!
SebastianJu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2013, 11:36:59 AM

Sounds like i should chose DHL for the next batch... though i doubt, because of lack of communication, that i can change EMS from last batches to DHL... i now tend to do it if possible even though its only a slight, felt, advantage...
You should. I made bad experiences ordering via EMS from China. Clearing customs is nightmare, because either you pay GdSk (Gesellschaft der Schnellkuriere) very much for doing it for you or you have to do it yourself. (I actually tried it but couldn't complete the customs form in which question like "Kennzeichen des Transportfahrzeugs" were asked...)

Batch 3 has DHL as shipment... im not sure if i can change it for batch 1 and 2... ill try...

In dev-list, in my sig, a dev came to it newly... marto74. Here in thread bcdev and szym00 claimed for a chip. Another in german thread, while that is unsure yet. He has to ask back first.
So anyone has doubts to give bcdev and szym00 one or maybe 2 chips?

I nearly forgot... batch 3 is "Processing" already... Smiley

ummas

Activity: 274

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 12:18:44 PM

shitt
i`ve been tricked by my pc :/
lost 3h with it and now it`s to late for batch 3.

what about 4 ??
Schrankwand

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 12:20:24 PM

shitt

what about 4 ??

500 chips are left
ummas

Activity: 274

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 12:27:23 PM

Batch 3 has DHL as shipment... im not sure if i can change it for batch 1 and 2... ill try...

In dev-list, in my sig, a dev came to it newly... marto74. Here in thread bcdev and szym00 claimed for a chip. Another in german thread, while that is unsure yet. He has to ask back first.
So anyone has doubts to give bcdev and szym00 one or maybe 2 chips?

I nearly forgot... batch 3 is "Processing" already... Smiley

nevermind, just sended my order
SebastianJu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2013, 12:41:40 PM

shitt

what about 4 ??

4 is starting already... thats the reason one shouldnt wait until the last minute because many do this. The chance to miss that batch is very high then...

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 »
  Print  

Jump to: