Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:53:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 ... 117 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ASICMiner USB group buy- orders closed, pay for extra!  (Read 165540 times)
Rant2112

Activity: 70
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 07:45:19 PM

Arklan - you are welcome to mine with my 1 unit until it is packaged for shipping.  Cool

---

Also, leaving the warranty replacement parts sitting on a shelf seems insane.  Are people worried about them wearing out or breaking or something?

IMO that should be one of the benefits to Arklan for running this whole thing.  It is a lot of work and stress.

Anyway, it would be easy enough to distribute the profits back to the rest of us and that would be much better than having them sit gathering dust.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
joelnet

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 07:50:44 PM

Man, I'd never run a group buy after listening to you shit heads.  Jesus Christ.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 07:56:58 PM

Arklan - you are welcome to mine with my 1 unit until it is packaged for shipping.  Cool

---

Also, leaving the warranty replacement parts sitting on a shelf seems insane.  Are people worried about them wearing out or breaking or something?

IMO that should be one of the benefits to Arklan for running this whole thing.  It is a lot of work and stress.

Anyway, it would be easy enough to distribute the profits back to the rest of us and that would be much better than having them sit gathering dust.

I agree with all of this with the caveat that ~arklan should:

- do his best to ship in a timely manner.

- run the 'replacement reserve' in a transparent manner.

---

It can be kind of easy to get mixed up between 'doing the right thing' and 'doing the right thing for yourself'.

It can also be difficult to anticipate how others may attempt to game things (if/when warentee requests come in.)

How ~arklan handles these things will be interesting to watch.  I'm hopeful since it would be nice to know of a reliable and fair counter-party for potential future efforts of this nature.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
LazyOtto

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 08:07:26 PM

Arklan - you are welcome to mine with my 1 unit until it is packaged for shipping.  Cool

---

Also, leaving the warranty replacement parts sitting on a shelf seems insane.  Are people worried about them wearing out or breaking or something?

IMO that should be one of the benefits to Arklan for running this whole thing.  It is a lot of work and stress.

---

It can be kind of easy to get mixed up between 'doing the right thing' and 'doing the right thing for yourself'.

It can also be difficult to anticipate how others may attempt to game things (if/when warentee requests come in.)

How ~arklan handles these things will be interesting to watch.  I'm hopeful since it would be nice to know of a reliable and fair counter-party for potential future efforts of this nature.

I'm chiming in to agree with both the above quotes.

I'm sure arklan didn't foresee this at the beginning, but I do now see him as our point of contact for the six month warrentee period.

Specifically, like this:
1) One of 'ours' (i.e., one which has been delivered to an end user) dies.
2) We ship the dead one to arklan and he ships a working replacement in return.
3) When arklan has accumulated ten dead ones he ships that batch of ten to ASICMiner for replacement.

As compensation for this hassle, I see it as entirely fair / appropriate that arklan mine with the available spare parts / extras.

--

After the six month period I suggest that all the ones which are extra / spare parts be lotteried off by single units to the participants of this group buy.

-- edit

In fact, I see it as preferable that the spare parts be used for mining. The failure mode we are primarily dealing with here is 'infant mortality'. After about a ninety day period of use the ones which are gonna die will have died.
johnny5

Activity: 90
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 08:13:59 PM

Arklan - you are welcome to mine with my 1 unit until it is packaged for shipping.  Cool

---

Also, leaving the warranty replacement parts sitting on a shelf seems insane.  Are people worried about them wearing out or breaking or something?

IMO that should be one of the benefits to Arklan for running this whole thing.  It is a lot of work and stress.

---

How ~arklan handles these things will be interesting to watch.  I'm hopeful since it would be nice to know of a reliable and fair counter-party for potential future efforts of this nature.

I'm sure arklan didn't foresee this at the beginning, but I do now see him as our point of contact for the six month warrentee period.

Specifically, like this:
3) When arklan has accumulated ten dead ones he ships that batch of ten to ASICMiner for replacement.

As compensation for this hassle, I see it as entirely fair / appropriate that arklan mine with the available spare parts / extras.

--

After the six month period I suggest that all the ones which are extra / spare parts be lotteried off by single units to the participants of this group buy.

-- edit

In fact, I see it as preferable that the spare parts be used for mining. The failure mode we are primarily dealing with here is 'infant mortality'. After about a ninety day period of use the ones which are gonna die will have died.

I agree 100% with all the above.
HTML5 Gordon

Activity: 184
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 08:15:05 PM

---

---

Specifically, like this:

--

-- edit

Count me as another in full agreement.
aahzmundus

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

Invest & Earn: https://cloudthink.io

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 08:31:26 PM

---

---

Specifically, like this:

--

-- edit

Count me as another in full agreement.

Also agree, the profits from mining on spare units should cover shipping and hassle nicely.

johnny5

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 08:46:05 PM

i see Arklan is online, how about an update...200 in the mail?  going to work, ill be back in 12 hrs

Bummed for the lack of an update, either here, or in the spreadsheet.  Trying to remain positive here...
arklan (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1008

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 10:21:34 PM

first: i inadverterntly left another tab open with a thread (the asicminer one, actually) cause when i left i hadn't finished reading it.

spent the last few hours at, variously, the post office and office depot. post office... well, screwed me. i had tried this morning, for several hours, to print the shipping labels online so i could just drop them off and be done. for reasons unknown to me, that failed completely. i ended up going to the post office to try there- they handed me a pen to start writing the labels by hand. while standing. on my ankle. yea. not happening...

so i went to office depot, who can mail via USPS, and has a pick up... about 15 minutes ago, actually. and THEY were helpful and at least let me use their computer to input the data.

all packages marked as shipped are, well, shipped. i'll be emailing out the appropriate tracking info shortly.

an unexpected, and unexplained, hitch at office depot was shipping to canada. for reasons unknown to me, or the employee, we just couldn't get it to work. so, a force ninja, black lilac grant and sgrunger, i still have yours. they'll go out tuesday morning.

also, BIG note: for reasons unknown, the office depot system refused to allow insurance amounts in excess of 500 USD. i went ahead and mailed everything anyway, since i felt it was more important to get them out then delay till tuesday. if anything goes wrong in this regard, i suppose i'm on the hook. dear god, let nothing go wrong...

i think that's everything. i might (continue) to be slow to respond today, as i am likely going to take a nap...

oh, and:

Specifically, like this:

--

-- edit

Warranty Man, at your service! (apparently!) the above is exactly how i see it working. except for the "after 6 months lottery them" part... but then, that's me being greedy.

i don't post much, but this space for rent.
johnny5

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 10:25:08 PM

Thank you @arklan! - I owe you at least 2 beers, next time you're in SF!
arklan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 10:30:25 PM

Thank you @arklan! - I owe you at least 2 beers, next time you're in SF!

i may hold you too that. despite living in utah...

Klestin

Activity: 493

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 10:37:40 PM

Warranty Man, at your service! (apparently!) the above is exactly how i see it working. except for the "after 6 months lottery them" part... but then, that's me being greedy.
Thanks for the update, should quiet things down.  I'd like to join my voice to the lottery idea for after 6 months.  However, let's be honest here, after 6 months, these things are not exactly going to be mining at an incredible rate. Smiley  Therefore, if you don't like the lottery idea I definitely wouldn't raise a stink.
aahzmundus

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 10:57:06 PM

first: i inadverterntly left another tab open with a thread (the asicminer one, actually) cause when i left i hadn't finished reading it.

spent the last few hours at, variously, the post office and office depot. post office... well, screwed me. i had tried this morning, for several hours, to print the shipping labels online so i could just drop them off and be done. for reasons unknown to me, that failed completely. i ended up going to the post office to try there- they handed me a pen to start writing the labels by hand. while standing. on my ankle. yea. not happening...

so i went to office depot, who can mail via USPS, and has a pick up... about 15 minutes ago, actually. and THEY were helpful and at least let me use their computer to input the data.

all packages marked as shipped are, well, shipped. i'll be emailing out the appropriate tracking info shortly.

an unexpected, and unexplained, hitch at office depot was shipping to canada. for reasons unknown to me, or the employee, we just couldn't get it to work. so, a force ninja, black lilac grant and sgrunger, i still have yours. they'll go out tuesday morning.

also, BIG note: for reasons unknown, the office depot system refused to allow insurance amounts in excess of 500 USD. i went ahead and mailed everything anyway, since i felt it was more important to get them out then delay till tuesday. if anything goes wrong in this regard, i suppose i'm on the hook. dear god, let nothing go wrong...

i think that's everything. i might (continue) to be slow to respond today, as i am likely going to take a nap...

oh, and:

Specifically, like this:

--

-- edit

How is the second package from Friedcat?  Any news on that?  Or did I miss a previous post...

arklan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 11:09:35 PM

How is the second package from Friedcat?  Any news on that?  Or did I miss a previous post...

it's local, but arrived after they'd sent the trucks yesterday. i'll get it tuesday. and yes, i tried calling to see if i could pick it up. no good, were already closed last night, and not open at all today.

aahzmundus

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 11:17:11 PM

it's local, but arrived after they'd sent the trucks yesterday. i'll get it tuesday. and yes, i tried calling to see if i could pick it up. no good, were already closed last night, and not open at all today.

Thank you for the prompt update!  See guys!  Just calm down and everything will be ok!  Good work Arklan, I am sure this has gotten a little stressful, but know that most of us really appreciate all the work you put into this.

I wonder... maybe if some units get lost in the mail, can you use the replacement units for that?  Who knows...  hopefully none are lost, and the majority that get sent out tuesday get full insurance.

If any do get lost, and you are put on the hook for them... I will be sure to donate a % of my mining to help bail you out.

arklan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 11:18:25 PM

Thank you for the prompt update!  See guys!  Just calm down and everything will be ok!  Good work Arklan, I am sure this has gotten a little stressful, but know that most of us really appreciate all the work you put into this.

I wonder... maybe if some units get lost in the mail, can you use the replacement units for that?  Who knows...  hopefully none are lost, and the majority that get sent out tuesday get full insurance.

If any do get lost, and you are put on the hook for them... I will be sure to donate a % of my mining to help bail you out.

if it comes up, i'll ask here about the warranty guys. course if it's a 20 pack that's lost... *shudder*

hephaist0s

Activity: 711
Merit: 532

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 11:21:48 PM

Just got my tracking number from Arklan! So, to recap:
- ASICMiner only sold these in lots of 300, which none of us could afford (or chose not to) individually, so we needed a group buy; none of us stepped up to organize this, but Arklan did
- Arklan's group buy was the first to complete, thus making us the first batch to ship, thus making us the first on earth to get to play with these
- Arklan has been pleasant and organized throughout
- While it is arguable that the first batch might not have been re-shipped as fast as humanly imaginable, that hypothetical loss of .013BTC revenue for one day -- we're talking a cup of coffee here -- isn't hurting any of the buyers -- especially taking into account how far ahead of the other group buys we are -- and the only person complaining is a guy who isn't in the first batch anyway, so it doesn't even effect him.
Thank you very much, Arklan! I certainly wouldn't want to deal with all of us.

Tips graciously accepted on my behalf by Mr. Pig. | object2212.com | BTC:1H78y8FVeQrWY6KnxA6WLFQGUoajCuiMAu | ETH:0x3c1bC39EC7F3f6b26ACb6eeeEFe7dE2f486a72E9
arklan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 11:26:43 PM

- ASICMiner only sold these in lots of 300, which none of us could afford (or chose not to) individually, so we needed a group buy; none of us stepped up to organize this, but Arklan did
- Arklan's group buy was the first to complete, thus making us the first batch to ship, thus making us the first on earth to get to play with these
- While it is arguable that the first batch might not have been re-shipped as fast as humanly imaginable, that hypothetical loss of .013BTC revenue for one day -- we're talking a cup of coffee here -- isn't hurting any of the buyers -- especially taking into account how far ahead of the other group buys we are -- and the only person complaining is a guy who isn't in the first batch anyway, so it doesn't even effect him.

yea, y'all suck!

i'm kidding, i'm kidding. overall it's gone well, though not perfectly.

John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 01:31:36 AM

+1 - running a group buy is headache prone as you'll need to satisfy everyone's whims.  Wink
Arklan has handled this remarkably well!
rethaw

Activity: 378
Merit: 255

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 03:33:38 AM

Precisely why none of "us" ran a group buy! That's capitalism for you.

Pages: « 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 ... 117 »
  Print  

Jump to: