Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 08:43:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 [238] 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 ... 312 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitmain looks like they're releasing a 15GH/s DASH miner called the AntMiner D3  (Read 299607 times)
Zand_

Activity: 112
Merit: 17

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 07:10:36 PM

If you'd read about the chips inside the D3, you'd know what you're asking is not possible. Baikal have been designed this way, you cannot physically change these chips to allow other algos.

Probably you are right and I am wrong , technically
But bitmain must know its fault and should do something if it is possible.
May be, they will reconsider their sale policy , aspect of customers rights
Would not it be great injustice to continue as if nothing had happened?
They are still selling L3+ anyway
They dont have rights to kill customers investement .
This is about  customer rights , Not chips.

My dude, if you're a miner, and a serious one at that, you know the risks you're exposing yourself to. There was an incredible influx of newbs that came along with the D3, people that heard about mining 3 days prior to sending money to bitmain probably. These people gotta learn the hard way that you're not getting a money printing machine. And, as with anything that involves financial motivations, there are risks. And rewards. The latter not so much with the D3, but it is what it is. I also have one and I couldn't say I'm happy about the situation, but I knew what I was getting into at least. Made a decent amount in september though, so there's that.

I'm also frustrated with the current situation. I checked out your petition and I'm wondering if it is even possible to repurpose these miners to hash different algos?
Giorgi.mm

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 07:23:15 PM

How much time does it take for power supplies to ship after miner ships?
madmartyk
Legendary

Activity: 2688
Merit: 1030

Yes I am a pirate, 300 years too late!

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 07:25:51 PM

If you'd read about the chips inside the D3, you'd know what you're asking is not possible. Baikal have been designed this way, you cannot physically change these chips to allow other algos.

This is about  customer rights , Not chips.

My dude, if you're a miner, and a serious one at that, you know the risks you're exposing yourself to. There was an incredible influx of newbs that came along with the D3, people that heard about mining 3 days prior to sending money to bitmain probably. These people gotta learn the hard way that you're not getting a money printing machine. And, as with anything that involves financial motivations, there are risks. And rewards. The latter not so much with the D3, but it is what it is. I also have one and I couldn't say I'm happy about the situation, but I knew what I was getting into at least. Made a decent amount in september though, so there's that.

I'm also frustrated with the current situation. I checked out your petition and I'm wondering if it is even possible to repurpose these miners to hash different algos?

Don't you people read!!!!

AllRiseH13

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 07:29:04 PM

lmao who knows, having the same problem...

Ladies and Gentlemen,

First post here!

New to this forum, and also mining as well. I am about to read through this thread, but figured in the mean time y'all (you all, for you Yankees) might be able to help me with a few questions on the D3 Antminers.

1. Is there any other coins worth mining besides DASH & MUE?

-Also does anyone know if you can mine Digitalcoin (DGC) and LTC using the x11? I've read some stuff saying you can, but can't find much information about those 2.

These are a few I have found looking up the x11 coins.

DASH, MUE, StartCoin, CannabisCoin, SmartCoin, Europecoin, GiveCoin, HashCoin, LimeXcoin, Logicoin, Muniti, Nyancoin, Quebecoin, XCurrency.

Obviously most are trash coins but this is all I have found.

2. What pools do you guys use?

Any recommendations?

Best Regards
mdude77
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 07:35:58 PM

-Also does anyone know if you can mine Digitalcoin (DGC) and LTC using the x11? I've read some stuff saying you can, but can't find much information about those 2.

DASH, MUE, StartCoin, CannabisCoin, SmartCoin, Europecoin, GiveCoin, HashCoin, LimeXcoin, Logicoin, Muniti, Nyancoin, Quebecoin, XCurrency.

Re LTC, LTC is definitely Scrypt, won't work for X11.  Can't speak for Digitalcoin, but I think it's Scrypt too.

Re pools, from an earlier post of mine:

That's your call based on your requirements and preferences.

If you would like to be paid in BTC, NiceHash is by far the best place to rent your hash.  Check their stats.  They regularly state the payments that go to sellers of hashrate exceed what you'd get by mining with 100% luck, and in many cases by quite a bit.  Just use their internal wallet to keep the fees at 2%.  (My sig has a referral for them.)  At the moment I have no reason to believe they are fudging their stats.  Someone stated here you have to watch them because sometimes they pay less than "100% luck".  From what I can tell they don't show that stat for X11 like they do scrypt and sha256.

If you want to play with other coins, Prohashing can pay in you in many different coins.  However it's a 5% fee.  If you think you can compensate for that fee by playing a coin, that may be best.  Someone stated here you have to watch them as well because they have some instability issues.

I think there are a few straight Dash pools as well.  However I don't know what they are.  Read back through the last few pages of posts to see.

If you have more than one D3, maybe set them to different pools for a few days and compare the results.

M

I mine at Kano's Pool because it pays the best and is completely transparent!  Come join me!
BenRickert

Activity: 420
Merit: 110

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 07:36:45 PM

I think most folks on here ty to be nice and helpful.....but when someone asks on their first post^^^^^^  if they "can mine LTC with X11" I just want to dive through my screen. WTF man.

You only live once....if you do it right, once is enough.

Excellent FAQ for Lightning Network https://medium.com/@AudunGulbrands1/lightning-faq-67bd2b957d70
Gladimor
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 07:53:46 PM

The thing with this "gold rush" to cryptocurrencies and mining in general is that 95%+ of people entering the market this year DO NOT understand what they are buying into. Like 3 out of 5 people I spoke to in person in regards to crypto wanted to start a bloody ICO to raise millions for some idea that could be accomplished for thousands. The amount of "stupid" in this industry has reached an all time high. It will take time for everyone to learn.

Especially for mining. Someone buys a D3 and expects it to mine Litecoin. Then they ask why it doesn't work. DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE YOU BUY SOMETHING.

Mining since 2014
Tegoa

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 07:54:37 PM

I signed the petition. I don't know if bitmain really care about the situation. But I think they don't have a good reputation now...
madmartyk
Legendary

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 08:07:44 PM

The thing with this "gold rush" to cryptocurrencies and mining in general is that 95%+ of people entering the market this year DO NOT understand what they are buying into. Like 3 out of 5 people I spoke to in person in regards to crypto wanted to start a bloody ICO to raise millions for some idea that could be accomplished for thousands. The amount of "stupid" in this industry has reached an all time high. It will take time for everyone to learn.

Especially for mining. Someone buys a D3 and expects it to mine Litecoin. Then they ask why it doesn't work. DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE YOU BUY SOMETHING.

Yep you see sponsored ads, make millions in crypto.  Bitcoin has been in the news with the price over $7K, people think this is easy, I can retire in 6 months!!  LOL

mdude77
Legendary

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 08:22:41 PM

I signed the petition. I don't know if bitmain really care about the situation. But I think they don't have a good reputation now...

They haven't had a good reputation for quite some time.  This is not new.

M

I mine at Kano's Pool because it pays the best and is completely transparent!  Come join me!
madmartyk
Legendary

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 08:26:49 PM

M

But us sheep line up to buy their miners!!!

mdude77
Legendary

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 08:32:53 PM

M

But us sheep line up to buy their miners!!!

You're always taking a chance with their stuff.

Sometimes you win.

Sometimes you lose.

In all cases, they win.

M

D3 Antminer

Activity: 94

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2017, 08:33:59 PM

Actually it is pretty technical issue which I can not claim exactly. But we all know that Baikal has announced to add 2 more algo for their miner.
Of course it does not mean that this could be the same for our case. Probably totally different issues both  hardware and software

I prefer to hear it from the company as an official statement.

At present, 91 people have signed this proposal.

https://www.change.org/p/https-twitter-com-bitmaintech-d3-antminer-firmware-update-for-additional-mining-algorithms?recruiter=831205993&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=share_petition

I think the bitmain  owes us at least an offical explanation about that .

mdude77
Legendary

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 08:36:30 PM

I think this is one huge misunderstanding.

Bitmain doesn't care a single iota about you.  Or the 90 others that signed it.

All they care about is their bottom line.

The only thing they "owe" you is delivering hardware that you paid for. 

At no point did they promise anything else.

M

madmartyk
Legendary

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 08:40:16 PM

Actually it is pretty technical issue which I can not claim exactly. But we all know that Baikal has announced to add 2 more algo for their miner.
Of course it does not mean that this could be the same for our case. Probably totally different issues both  hardware and software

https://www.change.org/p/https-twitter-com-bitmaintech-d3-antminer-firmware-update-for-additional-mining-algorithms?recruiter=831205993&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=share_petition

Yea, Baikal are FPGA based and Bitmain are ASIC, you are comparing apples to oranges.

D3 Antminer

Activity: 94

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2017, 10:07:21 PM

Yea, Baikal are FPGA based and Bitmain are ASIC, you are comparing apples to oranges.

it seem Baikal has did the same thing  1 year ago .
How do you pretty sure Bitmain can not do it ?
maybe they also want to clean up this mess.
Overclocking 15 GHS miners to 19 GHS is very  funny solution.
it just turned d3s  into a better heater.

http://bitcoinist.com/baikal-algorithms-x11-miner/

Dopert

Activity: 350
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 10:16:32 PM

lmao who knows, having the same problem...

Ladies and Gentlemen,

First post here!

New to this forum, and also mining as well. I am about to read through this thread, but figured in the mean time y'all (you all, for you Yankees) might be able to help me with a few questions on the D3 Antminers.

1. Is there any other coins worth mining besides DASH & MUE?

Any recommendations?

Best Regards

So LTC is scrypt not x11. By prohashing.com you can select LTC payout. DGC can be mined at x11 https://www.mining-dutch.nl but its a shitty coin i think.
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 10:51:21 PM

This is about  customer rights , Not chips.

Of course it does not mean that this could be the same for our case. Probably totally different issues both  hardware and software

I think the bitmain  owes us at least an offical explanation about that .

it seem Baikal has did the same thing  1 year ago .
How do you pretty sure Bitmain can not do it ?
maybe they also want to clean up this mess.
Overclocking 15 GHS miners to 19 GHS is very  funny solution.
it just turned d3s  into a better heater.

http://bitcoinist.com/baikal-algorithms-x11-miner/

I’ve answered this question thousands of times now and people just can’t get it into their thick skulls.

Baikal designed an FPGA based miner which means the circuit inside can be reprogrammed and reflashed Tom possibly make for the hashing of other algorithms possible. The downside of using FPGAs is their efficiency is indeed better than that of a GPU’s, but they are less efficient than an ASIC.

Bitmain has designed an ASIC based miner which results in better efficiency than FPGAs. The downside of this is the chip is limited to only X11 and cannot be simply firmware flashed to mine other algorithms. Unless you can physically change the circuitry inside of the chips it is not possible to mine other algorithms on the D3.

There’s legitimately nothing more to this. Making a petition or new firmware will not work. You’d have to have a FPGA based miner to do that. Unless they somehow refunded the D3s or gave coupons to buyers for a newer miner there’s no way they can clean up the mess they’ve made. I doubt they care anyways since they make millions in profits from their miners since people choose them solely for their efficiency and cost while ignoring the fact that Bitmain uses the cheapest possible parts and runs their miners, sometimes for long periods of time, before selling them. This makes them incredibly unreliable and repairs are expensive. This is why competition is good, to force Bitmain to make a better product.
Longsnowsm

Activity: 868
Merit: 517

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 11:49:10 PM

Like others said, the petition is a waste of time.  The difference is in completely different technology. 

Baikal = programmable chip
Bitmain = purpose built chip that is not programmable

You can't change the D3 other than firmware that can possibly improve efficiency or allow you to overclock, underclock etc.  That is all done at the controller, not on the hashing chips.

If you want programmable and update capable miners then you need to get in line for the Baikal's.  They aren't as efficient with electricity, but they can mine multi algo's.

BenRickert

Activity: 420
Merit: 110

View Profile
November 10, 2017, 12:02:24 AM

Amen brother!! I lost count of the number of posts that go something like this......." Hi guys, I'm new here. I just got 50 D3's delivered to my door, I'm so pissed off!! They forgot the fucking power cords". ....or.... "Greetings miners, I just bought 100 D3's. What kind of PSU do I need for these things? Also, can I mine anything besides DASH with them??". Of course my all time favorite...." Hey there! Newbie here. I just started up my 25 new D3's in my studio apartment. Holleee SHIT are these things LOUD!! They're also making my apartment really HOT!! Should I get a fan or something??". SMH!!!

You only live once....if you do it right, once is enough.

Excellent FAQ for Lightning Network https://medium.com/@AudunGulbrands1/lightning-faq-67bd2b957d70
Pages: « 1 ... 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 [238] 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 ... 312 »
  Print  

Jump to: