Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 02:26:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Aug 1 summary  (Read 96452 times)
aesma

Activity: 2380
Merit: 916

fly or die

View Profile
August 02, 2017, 05:02:18 PM

First learn how Bitcoin actually works.

In the thin client section 4 you mention importing your "private keys". If i only had one wallet and only intended to send it to one wallet would your "private keys" read just "private key" . I've only got one wallet and only intend to send it to one wallet (very small amount)
What is a wallet? A wallet is a collection of key pairs. If you have BTC on multiple addresses, then we are talking about multiple private keys. If all your Bitcoin are on a single address, then you only need the private key of that address.

i would really prefer to use core because i only have to trust core, im in the process of installing it...
You don't have to trust Bitcoin Core. You can review the whole code yourself, compile and build the wallet. Alternatively, you are not just "trusting" Core, but every single person that has ever reviewed that code.

Thanks! I appreciate your help!
You're welcome.

learn how bitcoin works, lol, I gota' learn how to ask a question first.... i missed a sentence or two and really should adopt "import" and "export" more, it would show my questions in a different light...you must sit there shakin' your head half the night lol....

A paper wallet is the same thing as a normal wallet, the idea is to generate it offline (computer not connected to the web, preferably using a bootable CD) and to only use the private key when you want to empty it. If you decide to import the private key instead of sweeping it, you can then use it as any other wallet. I didn't understand your quesiton about a broker though, do you have the private key of the current address where your BTC are ?
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
GiorgosK

Activity: 478
Merit: 253

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2017, 05:10:54 PM

I don't understand someone can claim BCH from his/her BTC without losing his same number of bitcoins ?
is this free money created ?

BitBay - The Future of Free Markets  |  BCT thread  |  https://bitbay.market
Dynamic Peg  - Whitepaper out  -  Working implementation to be released soon
Web Markeplace coming Fall 2018
AnfisKatechkin

Activity: 266
Merit: 107

I got BTC-e'd... I got WEXed...

View Profile
August 02, 2017, 05:12:19 PM
Last edit: August 02, 2017, 05:23:39 PM by AnfisKatechkin

I sent a few bitcoins through blockchain.info from different addresses and after that I checked my balance of BCH via Electron Cash and what I saw: All BCH are sent at the same time with the same tx but blockchain like blockdozer or blockchair doesn't show this tx and balances of my BCH wallets is zero!  WTH? At this time I sent a few btc through Mycelium and it worked fine! Whose fault is it?

Jafri101

Activity: 546
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 02, 2017, 05:13:07 PM

I think Bitcoin Cash will be just like an altcoin which can be bought and sold using Bitcoins. Though it is also true that some exchanges said their users will be deposited bitcoin cash in exchange of bitcoins in their wallets. And also there are some exchanges also that claims bitcoins will remain bitcoins.
Ruderalis

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 02, 2017, 05:13:30 PM

I see a lot of people cursing the bitcoin cash fork, but I only see profits, the bitcoin price still the same while u have receive a new coin with a value that a few hours ago rise until almost 700 $, so... I cant believe that most of people here are recommending to not claim yours BCC... Otherwise I feel to many people that not support bitcoin cash at it's beginning, like Coinbase and anothers exchanges, but had Bitcoin, are making huge benefits nowadays... so... reading this post looks like reversed world...
mmgen-py

Activity: 110
Merit: 26

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2017, 05:20:08 PM

what is the risk to import the core private keys to this wallet? With this is not possible to control the same private keys to both chains?
is not better?

Never import private keys into a wallet. Import your addresses using the 'importaddress' RPC call and sign your transactions offline using 'signrawtransaction'. This way your private keys never touch an online machine, so there's no risk of a misbehaving program stealing anything. The MMGen wallet manages your keys and performs all of these operations for you automatically. MMGen now supports BCH. You can even run BTC and BCH nodes at the same time and transact simultaneously on both chains.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2017, 05:22:04 PM

so can anyone explain what changed in BTC code? 
You can see that on the following website:https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin
Wrong. This repository has nothing to do with BCH.

what is the risk to import the core private keys to this wallet? With this is not possible to control the same private keys to both chains?
is not better?
Problems:
1) Malicious code.
2) Weak replay protection.
In either case, if you use the same private keys on BTC and BCH, you may end up losing funds. Why risk when you can prevent something like that from occurring?

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
aesma

Activity: 2380
Merit: 916

fly or die

View Profile
August 02, 2017, 05:28:06 PM

I sent a few bitcoins through blockchain.info from different addresses and after that I checked my balance of BCH via Electron Cash and what I saw: All BCH are sent at the same time with the same tx but blockchain like blockdozer or blockchair doesn't show this tx and balances of my BCH wallets is zero!  WTH? At this time I sent a few btc through Mycelium and it worked fine! Whose fault is it?

Your Electron cash client is probably synced to the BTC chain instead of the BCC chain. Your BCC have probably not moved.
groovyelegant

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 02, 2017, 05:33:21 PM

Thanks for the rundown.

Will be interesting now to see how miners get on board. At the time being, seems they can't mine a single block.

mmgen-py

Activity: 110
Merit: 26

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2017, 05:36:06 PM
Last edit: August 02, 2017, 06:56:46 PM by mmgen-py

so can anyone explain what changed in BTC code?  
Quite a lot. Apparently they based their code on Bitcoin Core 0.14.x but stripped out Segwit. However, they intentionally obfuscated the changes and if you compare the repositories you are going to see a lot of changed code. This makes it very hard to review what they did, thus I wouldn't trust their wallet(s).

They reformatted everything for an 80-column screen, which makes little sense to me as no one programs on an 80-column terminal anymore.

That being said, it is possible to review key parts of the code. I've examined the sighash function, which works as claimed so I no longer have any doubts about the replay protection. The spec is in doc/abc/replay-protected-sighash.md and the relevant function is SignatureHash() in the file script/interpreter.cpp. It's useful to compare with the same file in the Core repository to see what changes were made.

How to review the Bitcoin ABC code:

git clone https://github.com/Bitcoin-ABC/bitcoin-abc
    cd bitcoin-abc
    git diff --word-diff=color 964a185

(Commit 964a185 was the last commit before the ABC repository was forked from Core)
AnfisKatechkin

Activity: 266
Merit: 107

I got BTC-e'd... I got WEXed...

View Profile
August 02, 2017, 05:36:33 PM

I sent a few bitcoins through blockchain.info from different addresses and after that I checked my balance of BCH via Electron Cash and what I saw: All BCH are sent at the same time with the same tx but blockchain like blockdozer or blockchair doesn't show this tx and balances of my BCH wallets is zero!  WTH? At this time I sent a few btc through Mycelium and it worked fine! Whose fault is it?

Your Electron cash client is probably synced to the BTC chain instead of the BCC chain. Your BCC have probably not moved.
I can't send BCH anywhere because the wallet shows "not enough funds". How to force Electron Cash to sync to the right chain?
sudip76

Activity: 280
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 02, 2017, 05:45:13 PM

Thanks for update.  Smiley
BitcSeo

Activity: 1009
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 02, 2017, 05:53:04 PM

so again for the third time, why i should wait 30 confirmations and not 6 as opposite to 3 which carry some risk like theymos said?
More confirmations = more safety. The BCH chain will be susceptible to *easy* 51% attacks when the difficulty drops.

☞More confirmation, more safety will create more complication as well because trader's/buyer's will have to wait. right?

Thanks
Bitcseo

S🌏larplaNET  Rome🗺 🗺
TobiasVR

Activity: 626
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 02, 2017, 06:21:03 PM

how to claim BCH from electrum wallet ?
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3458
Merit: 6105

View Profile
August 02, 2017, 06:38:49 PM

how to claim BCH from electrum wallet ?

If you are speaking about Electrum.org then you can't really start using them from there, you need to install a BCH wallet like ElectrumCash (I'm not sure how clean or safe is it). Send the funds from your Electrum to another wallet, use your old seed of Electrum inside EC and the BCH should appear and you can send or receive them afterwards. Again, you must send your funds elsewhere before using your Seed into that new wallet, that ensure that your BTC are safe in case EC have a malicious code.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
chek2fire
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1142

Intergalactic Conciliator

View Profile
August 02, 2017, 07:03:58 PM

any idea how to split some coins i have to greenaddress wallet? Unfortunately i have enable there and multisig authy. I dont think is possible to do it.

http://www.bitcoin-gr.org
4411 804B 0181 F444 ADBD 01D4 0664 00E4 37E7 228E
newguy05

Activity: 1316
Merit: 503

Someone is sitting in the shade today...

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2017, 07:38:34 PM

Thank you theymos and everyone else who provided explanation of this rather confusing process to get bitcoin cash coins.

Below is my simplified understanding and also a question based on all the posts i read, please correct if any is wrong:

1) Install a completely new and different bitcoin wallet client (ie if you have bitcoin core wallet now, install something like bitcoin knots wallet).

1)Send your bitcoins from your existing wallet client to the new bitcoin wallet client - this is done so if the existing wallet private key is exposed later to scammers you dont risk losing the bitcoins, since they have already been sent to a different wallet.

2) Get the private key from your old (now empty of bitcoin) wallet.

3) Install a bitcoin cash wallet client

4) Load the bitcoin cash wallet client with the now empty bitcoin wallet private key, and you should see your bitcoin cash coins.

5) Then you can use the bitcoin cash wallet to send the bitcoin cash coins as you desire.

My question is on the bitcoin cash wallet client - many of the bitcoin cash wallet states they are bitcoin wallets? How do i know the wallet i installed is a bitcoin cash wallet or bitcoin wallet, and related, the coins that appear after loading the private key, is bitcoin or bitcoin cash?

Basically how do you differentiate between a bitcoin cash wallet vs a bitcoin wallet? Almost all the wallet recommended on bitcoincash.org describes themselves as bitcoin wallets, NOT bitcoin cash wallets.  So how do you what coin you actually have after installing and loading the private key?

Also what do you guys recommend as the best bitcoin cash wallet and bitcoin cash exchange to buy/sell bitcoin cash, since coinbase doesnt support it.

▄██████
       ▄████████
     ▄██████████
   ▄█▀     █████
 ▄███      █████
█████      ███████████████████████████
█████                           ████▀
█████                           ██▀
█████                          ▄▀   
██████████████████████████████▀
████████████████████████████▀
L I N K
by BLOCKMASON

..CREATE WEB APIS........
..FROM ANY SMART........
..CONTRACT.........................

█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█                     █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄              █
█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█

READ THE
WHITEPAPER

>>>

▄          █▄                         ▄
██▄        ███▄                     ▄██
████▄      █████▄                 ▄████
██████▄    ███████▄             ▄██████
████████▄   ▀███████▄         ▄███████▀
██████████▄   ▀███████▄     ▄███████▀
████████████▄   ▀███████▄ ▄███████▀  
██████████████▄   ▀█████████████▀   ▄██
████████████████▄   ▀█████████▀   ▄████
██████████████████▄   ▀█████▀   ▄██████
████████████████████▄   ▀█▀   ▄████████
BLOCKMASON
BUILDING THE FUTURE

FACEBOOK
REDDIT
TWITTER

LINKEDIN
GITHUB
MEDIUM
KNK

Activity: 692
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 02, 2017, 08:03:13 PM

My question is on the bitcoin cash wallet client
That's the sole problem. Right now there are very few BCH wallets and none of them is approved with the time so you risk installing a malicious wallet/software, which MAY steal all your funds both BTC and BCH and even some more user/password details available for your mac/windows/linux user account

So far there is no such known software, but it's YOU and only YOU who may decide to risk own funds

EDIT: I am very paranoid in such cases and may/(for sure) overreact, but ... 'better safe than sorry'

Mega Crypto Polis - www.MegaCryptoPolis.com
BTC tips: 1KNK1akhpethhtcyhKTF2d3PWTQDUWUzHE
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3150
Merit: 4309

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
August 02, 2017, 08:19:35 PM

EDIT: I am very paranoid in such cases and may/(for sure) overreact, but ... 'better safe than sorry'

you can NEVER be too paranoid with your private keys

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
Censorship of e-gold was easy. Censorship of Bitcoin will be… entertaining.
romeo111

Activity: 378
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 02, 2017, 08:37:01 PM

Dear
Thanks a lot.
Because your information and guidance for me.
I am happy to your updating security system.
And i am also request to everyone they must following forum rules & restriction.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 »
  Print  

Jump to: