Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 08:57:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 [152] 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 ... 252 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Just-Dice.com : Invest in 1% House Edge Dice Game  (Read 435299 times)
pascal257

Activity: 493
Merit: 262

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 02:50:35 PM

Why do people come up with the same discussions every week on the same thread?  The random number generation used in just-dice is secure.  it takes entropy from OpenSSL's RAND_bytes function which is as secure as you can get without resorting to custom hardware - if you're worried about OpenSSL's RAND_bytes function then be worried about the ephemeral keys used to secure the SSL you use to talk to your bank.

Once it has these random bytes (the seed) it then uses HMAC_512 to generate all the random numbers for the player.  This is predictable because the game has to be provably fair, but it is not possible to determine or predict anything about the output of the function without knowing the server seed (see above).
Thanks for the information, finally a useful post.
On the page it says
Your client seed for that server seed was
Does anyone know if it actually means that the client seed is used as a seed for the server seed or if its just a mistakable formulation.

Also I'd like to know how the server seed for each user is saved. There's still the possibility of an SQL injection for example.
Bitsinmyhead

Activity: 465
Merit: 254

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 02:52:55 PM

And your method is unfamiliar to me! I have no idea where "Variance of 18 000 bets of 200BTC at 49.5%: 200 * sqrt(0.495*0.515*18000) = 13 500" comes from. My method is to simply apply the central limit theorem.

Its supposed to be standard deviation not variance, edited that mistake.
Using the formula for the standard deviation of a binomial distribution:  √[np(1-p)]
n= 18000 bets, p = 0.495 and (1-p) = 0.505

▄▄████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████▄▄
      ███████████████████████▄▄
      ▀▀█████████████████████████
██▄▄       ▀▀█████████████████████
██████▄▄        ▀█████████████████
███████████▄▄       ▀▀████████████
███████████████▄▄        ▀████████
████████████████████▄▄       ▀▀███
 ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
▄▄        ▀██████████████████████▄
████▄▄        ▀▀██████████████████
█████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████████
█████████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████
██████████████████▄▄        ▀▀████
▀██████████████████████▄▄
  ▀▀████████████████████████
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
           ▀▀███████▀▀

.SEMUX
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
  Semux uses 100% original codebase
  Superfast with 30 seconds instant finality
  Tested 5000 tx per block on open network
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
bitcoin44me

Activity: 252
Merit: 100

MARKETPLACE FOR PAID ADVICE LIVE BROADCASTS

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 02:54:02 PM

What is nakowa doing? Sad

elm
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 02:55:52 PM

Why do people come up with the same discussions every week on the same thread?  The random number generation used in just-dice is secure.  it takes entropy from OpenSSL's RAND_bytes function which is as secure as you can get without resorting to custom hardware - if you're worried about OpenSSL's RAND_bytes function then be worried about the ephemeral keys used to secure the SSL you use to talk to your bank.

Once it has these random bytes (the seed) it then uses HMAC_512 to generate all the random numbers for the player.  This is predictable because the game has to be provably fair, but it is not possible to determine or predict anything about the output of the function without knowing the server seed (see above).

I wish we could just put these PRNG vs RNG vs TRNG arguments to rest for good.

Will

why do You think it is so unimportant? but it is not possible to determine or predict anything about the output of the function without knowing the server seed (see above).
who could know the server feed? no one? IMHO it should be discussed if it is provably fair only for the player? but how about the investors? is JD provably fair for the investors?
broolstoryco

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

Enemy of the State

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 02:59:00 PM

The system JD uses is close to as good as it gets (assuming proper implementation). This is possible to the standardization of strong cryptographic protocols (and hash functions, such as SHA).
You're using some strong wording there. Do you have any source or quotes to underline this or are you just wildly speculating?

sha is currently the industry standard hashing algo. Quck google shows us that it is used in the most sensitive applications:
The SHA-2 hash function is implemented in some widely used security applications and protocols, including TLS and SSL, PGP, SSH, S/MIME, Bitcoin, PPCoin and IPsec.

i do not feel that my statement is so strong: again, assuming proper implementation, it is as good as it currently gets. There are no known, feasible attacks on sha.
You understand what a hashing algorithm does? What about the input?

the debate was: generation of numbers which determine if a given roll wins or not.

i stipulate that as the sha has a uniform output distribution, the results are evenly distributed. Furthermore, due to the security of the algo, we are unable to predict the next roll without knowing the plaintext (clientseed+serverseed+nonce). Therefore, the generation of lucky numbers is fair, contingent on correct implementation (which i know is not a simple issue)
pascal257

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 02:59:31 PM

Please don't feed the troll. Just look away and go on.
pascal257

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 03:01:00 PM

The system JD uses is close to as good as it gets (assuming proper implementation). This is possible to the standardization of strong cryptographic protocols (and hash functions, such as SHA).
You're using some strong wording there. Do you have any source or quotes to underline this or are you just wildly speculating?

sha is currently the industry standard hashing algo. Quck google shows us that it is used in the most sensitive applications:
The SHA-2 hash function is implemented in some widely used security applications and protocols, including TLS and SSL, PGP, SSH, S/MIME, Bitcoin, PPCoin and IPsec.

i do not feel that my statement is so strong: again, assuming proper implementation, it is as good as it currently gets. There are no known, feasible attacks on sha.

the debate was: generation of numbers which determine if a given roll wins or not.

i stipulate that as the sha has a uniform output distribution, the results are evenly distributed. Furthermore, due to the security of the algo, we are unable to predict the next roll without knowing the plaintext (clientseed+serverseed+nonce). Therefore, the generation of lucky numbers is fair, contingent on correct implementation (which i know is not a simple issue)
I already know the clientseed and the nonce. If the serverseed is poorly generated you can use the best hashing algorithm available and I'd be able to predict the output.
ctlaltdefeat

Activity: 464
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 03:10:38 PM

And your method is unfamiliar to me! I have no idea where "Variance of 18 000 bets of 200BTC at 49.5%: 200 * sqrt(0.495*0.515*18000) = 13 500" comes from. My method is to simply apply the central limit theorem.

Its supposed to be standard deviation not variance, edited that mistake.
Using the formula for the standard deviation of a binomial distribution:  √[np(1-p)]
n= 18000 bets, p = 0.495 and (1-p) = 0.505

Well, the binomial distribution does not really fit here, as it measures the number of successes without placing any weight on losses.
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 03:16:45 PM

Okay, this is going to be a longer post, responding to a number of people that wrote interesting comments. But first, can I please make one request:

Can we please try to retain a minimum of respect for each other in this discussion?

If find it incredibly frustrating that it's completely normal to throw around insults to someones intelligence in here because he or she disagrees with you on one or the other matter. If somebody is simply wrong (in an obvious, mathematically provable way), explain why he is wrong. But if a number of people, many of which have an education in a relevant field (CS, math, anything else with statistics) disagree on a non-trivial matter, then please keep in mind that you're poisoning the atmosphere and effectively contribute to reducing the signal/noise ratio if you throw around those insults.

That said, first reply:

Can't believe you smart math guys keep arguing against idiots about this invest/divest stuff instead of using your smarts to do something like this. (The irony is that those idiots are actually correct at the moment, because right now being invested is -EV by itself).

Some quick back of the envelope calculations to show why you should probably all just divest:

Wagered on site: 3.6M
Expected profit: 36 000
Actual profit: -3 000

Site is 39 000BTC under expectations. Now let us simplify and assume all bets made were 200BTC bets. (The actual situation will have less variance than this because most of nakowas volume has actually been on bets less than this.)

Total bets made 3.6M/200 = 18 000

Variance of 18 000 bets of 200BTC at 49.5%: 200 * sqrt(0.495*0.515*18000) = 13 500

Site currently running 39 000 / 13 500 = 2.88 st devations under expected.

Conclusion chance of the site running this poorly by chance: Way less than 1%.

You guys keep saying trust the math, but your conclusion is all messed up. The math is telling you to GTFO, chances of something being wrong here is so high that staying invested currently is -EV!

That's a strong statement backed by calculations. Thanks.

I'm not good enough in math to verify whether your calculation is correct, anyone else?

The problem, in my opinion: too many simplifying assumptions, therefore the result is somewhat off. For example, a large portion of the current  cumulative site loss was caused by early nakowa wins, when we still used full kelly, and max profit was significantly larger than 200.

So here's a similar calculation that IMO makes slightly less simplyfing assumptions, about the likelihood of nakowa winnings yesterday:

Yesterday's amount wagered: 1.5M, a huge portion of which came from nakowa, whose bets where, by a vast majority, at max profit (180-190). The same calculation as above: (1500000*1%)/(180 * sqrt(0.495*0.515*8333)) = 1.8 standard deviations below expected profit.

Quite lucky? Sure. Enough to reject the null hypothesis (fair RNG, no cheating)? Not quite.

Note that this is also in line with Peter R's results who keeps posting updates on the likelihood of nakowa's cumulative winnings.

Second reply:

[...]
As a first step, I'd try a 1.5% edge. It looks to me that 1% is obviously not enough. I'd also consider a commission on each divestment in order to have a bankroll that is more stable and not fluctuating like crazy like yesterday.

Opinions on this?

and

I can only assume the reason for this is the "invest/divest" day traders, including Dooglus (who divested when the house was up 3k), on average got lucky and screwed the ones like me who didn't divest. I'd say the "invest/divest daytraders" were gambling against those that did not divest, and the former won big time with a simple strategy: divest when you are up, invest again when the house is down.

I personally would prefer if we go on with a 1% house edge for now. It gives the site a competitive advantage which might otherwise be lost.

But about the other point (investment "daytrading") I agree. Which brings me to reply #3:

No you cannot, you are trying to time the market: a losing proposition. Staying invested throughout is the most profitable strategy. If you want to avoid a lot of variance you can divest. This is why Dooglus divested!

Lol. That must be why mechs is 25% down and stayed invested from July, while I made 10% profit yesterday Tongue
And the funniest part is that if I invest again today, I will make profit, again and again, while mechs will be waiting for weeks to break even :

This is outcome dependent thinking. You cannot generalize from a single case to the general case.

People this is not rocket science. I'm becoming extremely disappointed in people's overall intelligence Sad

There's at least one mathematically sound reason why one might disagree with the claim that "daytrading" is entirely random. So, first, please stop throwing around insults against people's intelligence.

That reason, no matter how unlikely, is that if nakowa would actually be cheating (he hacked j-d, found a flaw in the RNG, whatever), then his winning patterns are not completely random either, so "daytrading" in consequence could become (partially) deterministic as well. Agreed?

Please note: I'm not saying that's necessarily the case (that nakowa is cheating), but it's at least conceivable.

More importantly however, whatever you think the reason for this is, please look at nakowa's yesterday winning charts and tell me that there is no "exploitable" pattern to it:

At around bet 6000 or so, some people started a strategy that reversed investing/divesting at around the -2000/2000 mark (I was on j-d chat yesterday). Which turned out to be a rather profitable strategy.

Now, please read the following: Yes, I know. In the long, no such strategy can be profitable (unless nakowa's results are not random either). But yesterday, this sure tweaked the distribution of profits and losses.

So here's my opinion on this matter:

If you want to gamble on j-d, gamble. If you want to invest, make it an investment that lasts longer than a few minutes.

Someone here said he sees very little harm done by investment daytrading: I disagree. In the short run, some successful "daytraders" will skew the distribution of profits/losses among investors, which makes the losing investors rather unhappy, which in the long run hurts the site, because they might take out their investment and not come back.

Additionally, I see absolutely no benefits from investment daytrading. Again: if you want to gamble, you can do so by the gambling mechanism. I don't know where the idea comes from that the investment mechanism has to contain a gambling element as well, especially if (for the psychological reasons described above) it arguably hurts the site overall.

A possible solution:

I think a short, but noticeably invest/divest delay would be helpful.

Here's how it could work: Divesting is always instantenous.  Your initial invest is as well. But after any divest, another invest has to wait 1 hour. That's all.

You can still take out your investment whenever you want. You can still invest/divest several times a day. But "trading" swings when a whale is on the loose should become impossible.

Let me repeat one more time: Assuming the site works as intended (no cheating going on), then I know investment "trading" is -EV,  just like gambling. But in the short term, strategies based on the winning patterns of a whale can fuck up the overall investment situation, and will make many investors understandably unhappy.

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
broolstoryco

Enemy of the State

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 03:18:32 PM

I already know the clientseed and the nonce. If the serverseed is poorly generated you can use the best hashing algorithm available and I'd be able to predict the output.

yes, i agree, but this is just a question of using the OS prng, which falls under correct implementation. This may seem like tautology, but i was just trying to say the the system that jd uses is nothing revolutionary or new per se, it is just a collection of known and tested cryptographic methods. As i said, i do not feel that i made a very strong claim, my point was that the relatively simple system that jd uses should provide secure lucky number generation, if the algo guidelines were followed (as opposed to using a new, untested, faster hash algo that did not face rigorous testing)
bitcoin44me

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 03:19:39 PM

I deposited 2 btc and end up with 15 btc atm Sad
Feeling lucky, but I should stop before loosing everything...

rarefied

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 03:24:02 PM

could You please explain why he cant prove to players that the site is fair? when using TRNG

i think he interpreted using a trng as a replacement for the client - server seeds, instead of just for the generation of the server seed.

In the original quote stream was the following comment:

ofc it is prng. jd uses a sha512 hmac of a seed to generate the lucky numbers. for all intents and purposes this is absolutely random. if you find a pattern, it would imply a serious breakthrough in the field of cryptography (effectively breaking sha).

If a "TRNG" replaced the hmac-sha512 with server and client seeds scheme it would be impossible to prove if the numbers were fairly generated.
broolstoryco

Enemy of the State

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 03:30:02 PM

could You please explain why he cant prove to players that the site is fair? when using TRNG

i think he interpreted using a trng as a replacement for the client - server seeds, instead of just for the generation of the server seed.

In the original quote stream was the following comment:

ofc it is prng. jd uses a sha512 hmac of a seed to generate the lucky numbers. for all intents and purposes this is absolutely random. if you find a pattern, it would imply a serious breakthrough in the field of cryptography (effectively breaking sha).

If a "TRNG" replaced the hmac-sha512 with server and client seeds scheme it would be impossible to prove if the numbers were fairly generated.

fair enough, i guess we should have defined what we are talking about better
Bitsinmyhead

Activity: 465
Merit: 254

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 03:31:28 PM

Well, the binomial distribution does not really fit here, as it measures the number of successes without placing any weight on losses.

This is wrong. It fits perfectly as there is only two possible outcomes win or loss and when n is large a reasonable approximation to it is given by the normal distribution.

▄▄████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████▄▄
      ███████████████████████▄▄
      ▀▀█████████████████████████
██▄▄       ▀▀█████████████████████
██████▄▄        ▀█████████████████
███████████▄▄       ▀▀████████████
███████████████▄▄        ▀████████
████████████████████▄▄       ▀▀███
▄▄        ▀██████████████████████▄
████▄▄        ▀▀██████████████████
█████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████████
█████████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████
██████████████████▄▄        ▀▀████
▀██████████████████████▄▄
  ▀▀████████████████████████
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
           ▀▀███████▀▀

.SEMUX
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
  Semux uses 100% original codebase
  Superfast with 30 seconds instant finality
  Tested 5000 tx per block on open network
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 03:38:01 PM

Very good post oda, I agree especially on you analysis on "investment daytrading".

Regarding the competitive advantage of the 1% edge, it looks to me that 1.5% might be less attractive for guys like Nakowa, but nevertheless investors would make more money which is ultimately the goal of the site. I might be wrong and we could lose too much volume, it's difficult to calculate.

Finally, I see the chance of Nakowa cheating almost none. Yesterday he lost two smallish deposits and he did a bigger one to cover that losses, as a degenerate gambler would do. He started with a high bet of 130BTC, after a few hours he went to 170BTC, and the last hours he just went berserk and started to make bets as high as max profit allowed hin. The amount if high bets in relation to the smaller ones also increased dramatically at the end of his session, like he was getting anxious.

Finally, in the first few hours he took the house to - 6k, which meant +4k for him, but nevertheless he didn't stop because his goal was to cover the 5k loss of his previous two sessions. Finally and after 14 extenuating hours he stopped by winning 1k coins, but in the process he risked up to 8k. First, that doesn't seem like an unlikely outcome. Secondly, all the above completely looks to me as the behavior of a deluded compulsive gambler, and not the behavior  of a cheater.

pascal257

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 03:40:25 PM

Please note: I'm not saying that's necessarily the case (that nakowa is cheating), but it's at least conceivable.
We should keep this possibility in mind. It would be great if doog could deliver more information about how the server seed is saved.

Here's how it could work: Divesting is always instantenous.  Your initial invest is as well. But after any divest, another invest has to wait 1 hour. That's all.
This sounds like a reasonable idea. You'd also have to set a waiting period for withdrawal to avoid the creation of new accounts to reinvest immediately.
bitcoin44me

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 03:50:48 PM

Greed is bad Sad

mechs

Activity: 210

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 03:52:44 PM

Very good post oda, I agree especially on you analysis on "investment daytrading".

Regarding the competitive advantage of the 1% edge, it looks to me that 1.5% might be less attractive for guys like Nakowa, but nevertheless investors would make more money which is ultimately the goal of the site. I might be wrong and we could lose too much volume, it's difficult to calculate.

Finally, I see the chance of Nakowa cheating almost none. Yesterday he lost two smallish deposits and he did a bigger one to cover that losses, as a degenerate gambler would do. He started with a high bet of 130BTC, after a few hours he went to 170BTC, and the last hours he just went berserk and started to make bets as high as max profit allowed hin. The amount if high bets in relation to the smaller ones also increased dramatically at the end of his session, like he was getting anxious.

Finally, in the first few hours he took the house to - 6k, which meant +4k for him, but nevertheless he didn't stop because his goal was to cover the 5k loss of his previous two sessions. Finally and after 14 extenuating hours he stopped by winning 1k coins, but in the process he risked up to 8k. First, that doesn't seem like an unlikely outcome. Secondly, all the above completely looks to me as the behavior of a deluded compulsive gambler, and not the behavior  of a cheater.
I would move beyond discussion of whether Nakowa is cheating at this point (which would require the OPs help which you have to trust to invest here) and instead more simply ask if the site functioning as intended? It seems we consistently come up with improbable results with yesterday just being the latest example. As an example, gambling for 14 hours straight and mostly spamming max bets should give the house edge an opportunity to work. In effect, this is acting more like a fair coin flip than a weighted dice roll.  That is on the gambling side.

On the investment side, the intention was for player profit or gain  = player's % of bankroll X site profit or gain.   I understand there may be some slight deviations from that, but myself and all the other "passive" investors are experiencing significant deviations from this expectation.  Personally, my personal loss was about 35% greater than expectations for the last session based on the formula above. This is due to meaningful fluctuation in the investment amount at the time of large fluctuations in the house profit.  

If Dooglus is okay with these phenomenon on both the gambling and and investment side, then let him say so and that will be the end of that.  If either of these are deviating far from Dooglus' expectations and plans for J-D, then some sort of corrective action should be considered.
broolstoryco

Enemy of the State

View Profile
September 30, 2013, 03:54:44 PM

This sounds like a reasonable idea. You'd also have to set a waiting period for withdrawal to avoid the creation of new accounts to reinvest immediately.

i am also for this
DiamondCardz
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1112

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2013, 03:55:36 PM

Yeah, it definitely doesn't seem like the 1% house edge is working as intended. The only way investors can make profit is by investing and divesting constantly to take advantage of sharks.

BA Computer Science, University of Oxford
Dissertation was about threat modelling on distributed ledgers.
Pages: « 1 ... 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 [152] 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 ... 252 »
  Print  

Jump to: