Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 06:24:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 [165] 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 ... 252 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Just-Dice.com : Invest in 1% House Edge Dice Game  (Read 435291 times)
GOB

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

Come on!

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 02:38:53 PM

+1 to putting a disclaimer when you invest. You can use any legal prospectus to find suitable language (Something like, "Bankrolling Just-Dice represents a speculative investment and involves a high degree of risk. An investor could lose all or a substantial portion of his/her investment.")

Suggestion: Stop calling it "investment". I think a better word could be "bankroll". This might help people lose the idea that this is some sort of Savings Account with FDIC insurance.

"Bitcoin is to bank transfers, credit cards & Paypal, as Email is to letters, faxes & FedEx." 1BAMFrk1qJai5u7UnrhDXoBudGwbYynams
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 02:44:05 PM

What? Someone beat my max bet? (Which I haven't made.) I missed some action again huh.

oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 03:04:28 PM

I think the site needs improvement. Investors might help with that. But instead of doing it the way we do it now, whoever shouts loudest on the forum or in the chat, why not let them actually vote on an issue. Weighted by their investement (and time), like I said.

dooglus what do you think about this idea?

Easily gamed:  nakowa shows up, deposits 11,000 BTC, obtains > 25% of the vote, votes, and then withdraws.

with this answer the question should be off the table I guess. chapeau for the answer

Or maybe not. It's not as if I never thought of that possibility. My suggestion was:

vote weight, per account := sum: amount invested * time invested

Which means nakowa or anyone else still can show up, invest for 5 minutes, vote and then divest, but his vote weight would be the same as someone who had a much smaller amount invested, but since the beginning of j-d. The biggest vote weight would go to those investors who had large sums invested, since the beginning, the way it should be, IMO.

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
mechs

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 03:09:28 PM

I think the site needs improvement. Investors might help with that. But instead of doing it the way we do it now, whoever shouts loudest on the forum or in the chat, why not let them actually vote on an issue. Weighted by their investement (and time), like I said.

dooglus what do you think about this idea?

Easily gamed:  nakowa shows up, deposits 11,000 BTC, obtains > 25% of the vote, votes, and then withdraws.

with this answer the question should be off the table I guess. chapeau for the answer

Or maybe not. It's not as if I never thought of that possibility. My suggestion was:

vote weight, per account := sum: amount invested * time invested

Which means nakowa or anyone else still can show up, invest for 5 minutes, vote and then divest, but his vote weight would be the same as someone who had a much smaller amount invested, but since the beginning of j-d. The biggest vote weight would go to those investors who had large sums invested, since the beginning, the way it should be, IMO.
This would be a much more practical and fair way to set the max profit percentage.  Let every user choose between .25% an 1%. Then at any given time the max profit percent = the average weighted by the time-value of the votes.
Time vote value= Principal Investment Amount x days invested (gets reset to 0 with divestment).
Fixes to issues at once, fixes how max profit decided in a fair and simple way & gives a strong disincentive to rapid investing/divesting to day trade whales.
rdponticelli

Activity: 325
Merit: 250

Our highest capital is the Confidence we build.

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 03:18:23 PM

The only way that I can see to make it a little more provably fair to investors is making a system of distributed server seeds, and giving access to each new server seed to a different big investor. That way you can even distribute the risk of holding everything on a single hosting service. So on each roll the central server asks to each seed server what's the hash for that roll of that user, and the seed servers answer with a corresponding hash which is then used to roll the final number.

Main drawbacks would be a lot of added complexity, maybe increased unreliability if you need all the servers up all the time, probably a cost/benefit ratio too high...
elm
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 03:21:24 PM

The only way that I can see to make it a little more provably fair to investors is making a system of distributed server seeds, and giving access to each new server seed to a different big investor. That way you can even distribute the risk of holding everything on a single hosting service. So on each roll the central server asks to each seed server what's the hash for that roll of that user, and the seed servers answer with a corresponding hash which is then used to roll the final number.

Main drawbacks would be a lot of added complexity, maybe increased unreliability if you need all the servers up all the time, probably a cost/benefit ratio too high...

and the whale as a big investor......?
rdponticelli

Activity: 325

Our highest capital is the Confidence we build.

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 03:25:28 PM

and the whale as a big investor......?

Yes, but he would have access to only one server seed, which would be worthless without the main server seed, and the other 3, 4, 5 you'll have distributed around....
w00dy

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 03:26:14 PM

THIS is stupid.

- you add a hell lot of complexity & points of failure
- you have to trust more people

what does "little more provably fair" even mean?!  Huh  It's either A (Rock solid, cause of math) or B (math do not proof the outcome of your 20 Satoshi bets)

So far it's A.

JD is doog's thing. either trust it (the math behind it AND doog for not running with the coins) or GTFO. End of story.
drawingthesun
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 03:26:19 PM

I'm really liking the vote idea. Between 0.2% and 1%, vote weight is based on amount invested for what period of time.

EDIT: this vote is for max bet profit.

This would require dooglus to build a system to track vote weight per account in real time.

However an additional thing to add would be a time half life. So older time is less relevant past a certain point, perhaps after 3 months each month on has halfing effect.

An example: days 1 to 365 (site open for a year)

Example involves person A and person B.

Day 1: A has 100 bitcoin invested, B has nothing invested
Day 275: A divests, B now invests 100 bitcoin.

Day 365 vote weight:

A should have half the vote weight that B has, and every month more that B stays divested the time should half off instead of degrading like normal, because its old irrelevant time.

If no half life is implemented, then at day 365 A will have 3x the vote power of B even though B has been far more current.

I think the half life should not be too close to the current day because whales can just invest for a short period of time, but if after 3 months the time invested past that point becomes worth less and less, it will give current investors a better vote.

The site will need to count vote weight all the time, if B divests 10 bitcoin for 1 day this needs to be continuously monitored and weighed.

EDIT 2: The downside is that this is very complicated for something that is currently 1 variable that dooglus has set and most people are happy with.
Rannasha

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 03:38:51 PM

You can't rely on a single source for generation of the roll outcome.

A better mechanism would be to have 2 servers controlled by different people with each its own seed (this concept can be expanded beyond 2, but my example uses 2 for simplicity).

For any user, both servers have their own server seed and publish its hash as usual. The player can provide his client seed and the nonce is generated as usual too. When a player makes a roll, server 1 computes hash(seed1, clientseed+nonce) and broadcasts the hash to server 2. Server 2 then computes hash(seed2, received_hash_from_1) and returns to server 1.

Server 1 is the regular JD server operated and controlled by dooglus. Server 2 in this example is a server controlled by a third party, be it some form of trusted escrow or a large investor.

The last server to compute a hash, knows whether a bet will win or lose and can in principle feign a network interruption to not transmit bets that have an undesirable outcome. To combat this, other server(s) keep a log of all bets for which the hash was transmitted, but no reply was received. Servers will retry to transmit their hash to the next server in case of a timeout and prevent users from placing new bets until the previous one has resolved.

In this setup, there is no single party that has sufficient information to predict bet outcomes. With servers keeping logs of bets they receive and transmit, the system can be audited to ensure that no single party is witholding bets with undesirable outcome. Obviously, this is a relatively complex system and it introduces additional latency and potential failure if a secondary server is disconnected. But this is just a rough sketch, one could extend the system with numerous servers and some form of redundancy.

This setup would make JD (or any similar game) provably fair for its investors under the assumption that the operators of the servers are all independent and not conspiring together.
maqifrnswa

Activity: 454

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 04:21:28 PM

In the vote system, no one gets what they want (but everyone gets some average). In the market system, everyone gets exactly what they want.

Both introduce a similar amount of complexity (keeping track of additional variables for each user and the site as a whole).
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 04:40:33 PM

Keeping track of what exactly?

I suggested: vote weight = sum over: deposits * duration deposited.

This information is already there (go to your investment history. nothing more is needed).

Not saying it isn't some work to be implemented (some interface for voting, code that calculates the vote weight), but: no, there are no "additional variables" that need to be tracked.

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
EskimoBob
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

Quality Printing Services by Federal Reserve Bank

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 05:35:32 PM

SL went down in flames. BTC price is down in flames... Is BTC gambling next?

While reading what I wrote, use the most friendliest and relaxing voice in your head.
BTW, Things in BTC bubble universes are getting ugly....
integrity42

Activity: 476
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2013, 06:26:39 PM

Dooglus,

Can you please refill the hot wallet?  Maybe you should leave more then a few hundred in there at a time?  It always seems to be empty.

thanks.

maqifrnswa

Activity: 454

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 06:58:01 PM

Keeping track of what exactly?

I suggested: vote weight = sum over: deposits * duration deposited.

This information is already there (go to your investment history. nothing more is needed).

Not saying it isn't some work to be implemented (some interface for voting, code that calculates the vote weight), but: no, there are no "additional variables" that need to be tracked.

additional variable = your vote

that is an additional variable needed in both cases
dooglus (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1330

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 09:51:37 PM

Was nakowa invested when mechs won?

He had 20% of bankroll, which means he would have lost over 400+ to mechs

Great, that just means Nakowa will come and win another 400 from us to make it up...

While I was away from the cold wallet, nakowa ended up with a balance of over 10k BTC which I was unable to cash out for him.  Instead he invested it, and asked me to block his account from betting, which I did.

So yesterday after mech's win, he was unable to use those 10k BTC to try to win his lost investment back.  He asked for a withdrawal while I was sleeping last night, but had reinvested it by the time I woke up.

I imagine sooner or later we'll be online at the same time, he'll withdraw, make a new account, redeposit, and try (and probably manage) to regain the coins mechs took from him.  The chance of turning 10k into 10.4k is pretty good.

Just-Dice                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
  ██████████████████████████ 
██████████████████████████████
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   Play or Invest                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 09:54:54 PM

Was nakowa invested when mechs won?

He had 20% of bankroll, which means he would have lost over 400+ to mechs

Great, that just means Nakowa will come and win another 400 from us to make it up...

While I was away from the cold wallet, nakowa ended up with a balance of over 10k BTC which I was unable to cash out for him.  Instead he invested it, and asked me to block his account from betting, which I did.

So yesterday after mech's win, he was unable to use those 10k BTC to try to win his lost investment back.  He asked for a withdrawal while I was sleeping last night, but had reinvested it by the time I woke up.

I imagine sooner or later we'll be online at the same time, he'll withdraw, make a new account, redeposit, and try (and probably manage) to regain the coins mechs took from him.  The chance of turning 10k into 10.4k is pretty good.

Well, in fact he divested and made a few gambles from a new account, but stopped suddenly (after he lost a few dozens BTC) and wrote on the chat:

No more show. I cannot beat the house.

And invested again.

Funny stuff if you ask me. And I have to say I'm glad to see Nakowa talking some sense, despite of the chance of recovering the losses being smaller without him gambling.

chriswen

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 04:05:39 AM

Yay, bitcointalk is back up.  Dooglus, have you thought about implementing my method for risk management of investors?
TheFuneral

Activity: 356

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 04:50:39 AM

Yay, bitcointalk is back up.  Dooglus, have you thought about implementing my method for risk management of investors?

Dooglus what are you working on these days?
dooglus (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1330

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 05:57:06 AM

Funny stuff if you ask me. And I have to say I'm glad to see Nakowa talking some sense, despite of the chance of recovering the losses being smaller without him gambling.

Here are his stats on the new account:

wagered: 366.42000000
bets: 30
profit: -120.00000000
losses: 20
wins: 10

Just-Dice                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   Play or Invest                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge
Pages: « 1 ... 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 [165] 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 ... 252 »
  Print  

Jump to: