Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 02:26:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Which USB hub to use with Block Erupters | NanoFury NF1 | BPMC Red Fury | Ant U1  (Read 128516 times)
bitly

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2013, 03:36:56 AM

how about doing a custom design of,  say, a 49 port usb 2.0 hub? Besides power, is there a data rate requirement?

What would be a reasonable $/hub to make a custom design attractive?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Nemo1024 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1014

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2013, 08:13:22 AM
Last edit: August 10, 2013, 01:21:18 PM by Nemo1024

how about doing a custom design of,  say, a 49 port usb 2.0 hub? Besides power, is there a data rate requirement?

You mean something like this:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=253749.msg2863038#msg2863038

@sunsofdust: I am adding your find to the table.

Also, I will pull some hubs, which got negative reviews into a separate "Beware" table.

And here is my contribution to the review/images. 30BEs running of 5 D-Link DUB-7 hubs. They are currently hosted by a PC. Once I am done playing with setting up my newly-acquired Pi, I will host them off it.

“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”
“We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.”
“It is important to fight and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated.”
visdude
Legendary

Activity: 1081
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 10, 2013, 04:14:47 PM

@visdude: Awesome  Cheesy

@ visdude,you are more clever than MacGyver  Cool  He would have made a really big messy looking contraption,that all looks like some kind of "picasso" art   Cheesy

Thanks guys.
forum2005

Activity: 127
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 10, 2013, 04:54:38 PM

pic with new 90 amp power supplies, brought price per port to less than $2

awesome

bitterdog

Activity: 728
Merit: 503

dApps Development Automation Platform

View Profile
August 10, 2013, 05:35:15 PM

pic with new 90 amp power supplies, brought price per port to less than $2

awesome

Fire marshall bill would be proud!

▄▄▄▄
        ▄▄████████▄▄
    ▄▄████████████████▄▄
 ▄████████████████████████▄
██████████▀▀███████████████
██████████▄   ▀█████████████
████████████▄   ▀███████████
██████████████▄   ▀█████████
█████████████▀   ▄██████████
███████████▀   ▄████████████
██████████▄  ▄██████████████
███████████████████████████
 ▀████████████████████████▀
    ▀▀████████████████▀▀
        ▀▀████████▀▀
            ▀▀▀

⬢⬢

⬢⬢

▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄████████▄▄
▄██████████▀▀▀█▀█▄
██ ▀█████▀     ▀██
██▌   ▀▀▀      ███
███▄           ███
████▀         ████
▀████▄     ▄▄████▀
   ▀▀▄▄▄▄████▀▀
       ▀▀▀▀

██████████████████

▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄████████▄▄
▄████████████████▄
██████████▀▀  ▐███
██████▀▀  ▄   ████
███▀   ▄█▀   ▐████
████▄▄█▀     █████
▀█████▌ ▄▄▄ ▐████▀
   ▀▀████████▀▀
       ▀▀▀▀

██████████████████

▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄████████▄▄
▄███████▀   ▐████▄
████████  ▄███████
██████      ██████
████████  ████████
████████  ████████
▀███████  ███████▀
   ▀▀████████▀▀
       ▀▀▀▀

██████████████████

▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄██▀█▀███▄▄
▄███▀▀▀ ▀ ▀▀█████▄
██████ ████▄ █████
██████ ▀▀▀▀ ▄█████
██████ ▄▄▄▄ ▀█████
██████ ████▀ █████
▀███▄▄▄ ▄ ▄▄█████▀
   ▀▀██▄█▄███▀▀
       ▀▀▀▀

██████████████████
bzh

Activity: 34

View Profile
August 10, 2013, 05:43:20 PM
Last edit: August 10, 2013, 05:54:59 PM by bzh

Sipolar 20-Port2020 (?)?¥420.00 (~$70)3.50 (?)1
Short evaluation- DO NOT BUY THIS HUB.

Long evaluation -  I bought this hub, thinking 90 watt, 20v, should be able to handle up to 30 usb eruptors, without a problem, but .....I just received mine and right off the bat, you could not run more than 12 miners in it, any more than that and the additional ones do get recognized, do not get assigned a com port number , but neither bitminer, nor CGminer, can run.  In addition, the hub is split into two 10 port hubs internally (It has two usb cables coming out of it (one for the left 10 and one for the right 10)).  I took it apart, and there seems to be a spot for a 2nd power adapter on the PCB, but there is no plug receptacle, I may put one in there, but there is some soldering involved and I am not the best at that.  Having one cable plugged into the PC from the hub results in the hub identifying one set of 10 USB eruptors running with no problem.  Plugging the USB cable in the 2nd usb port results in the other 10 being recognized, but when you plug in both, it looks like it recognizes everything (all 20) until you run CG Miner.  Then CGminer crashes and you cannot run.  it will work with up to 12 USB eruptors in it, in any configuration (6+6, 8+4, 10+2) but any more than that and cgminer crashes.  Now, to be clear, I am running CGminer with other hubs (two 7 port and one 10 port(and more than 12 USB eruptors, so I know its not a CGMiner configuration issue.), plus, bitminter doesn;t recognize more than 12 as functional either.

Save your money, this hub is not the answer for running 20 USB miners at once (even though I wanted it to be.)
I finally received this hub 3 days ago and it's a POS.... so I definitely confirm Garfield's conclusion.  I wish you had reviewed ot before I bought it.
it looks solid and promising but it can't handle more than 15 and runs hot.  you also get unpredictable stoppages on Eruptors.
as Garfield concluded, don't bother with this POS

are you sure its not a bad hub or power supply? there are 2 people on ebay selling this exact product (search bitcoin 20 usb hub) and they claim they've been running 20 w/o problems without upgrades and even show 20 BE hashing away in the ebay pic. they are sipolar 20v 20 port hubs with the 2 cables

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=271249085838&item=271249085838&lgeo=1&vectorid=229466
I connected 15 (sapphire batch) plus a raspi and a wifi adapter to this hub.

I have 15 hashing. Its not perfect(sometimes 15 will run for 24 hrs straight, other times only 14 will hash), but i am using cgminer 3.1.1 on a pi. I originally thought it might be a power issue, but then...

When I run minepeon it runs perfectly. Minepeon uses arch linux, diff usb drivers, and cgminer 3.3.1.

Maybe you have a bad power supply? Or did the first batch use more power?
bitly

Activity: 53

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2013, 07:53:39 PM

You mean something like this:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=253749.msg2863038#msg2863038

Thanks for pointing me to the link. Looks like it's not going to beat the market in terms of $/port
suprabitz

Activity: 148

View Profile
August 11, 2013, 01:29:00 AM

anybody using open case psu's can you give me some advice?

i have a 5v 20a psu with generic 10 port ebay hubs. they all light up with BE's but wont all launch the mining program. right now i have 35 connected, all lit up, but only 8 launches on bitminter with the uart com drivers. i had them all running using the zadiag drivers and 3.2.0 & 3.3.2 but they run for about an hour then lock my pc up. on the pi sometime most would launch but then start dropping out. when i swapped to brand name hubs on the pi they all worked. so something in my setup.
i dont have the 5v wire cut going to the computer. also i'm using probably 18-20 gauge wire going to the hubs and lamp cord going to the 120v.
also do you guys daisy chain these hubs one to another to another, or do you use a central hub with a bunch of hubs connected into it.
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212

View Profile
August 11, 2013, 01:38:40 AM

anybody using open case psu's can you give me some advice?

i have a 5v 20a psu with generic 10 port ebay hubs. they all light up with BE's but wont all launch the mining program. right now i have 35 connected, all lit up, but only 8 launches on bitminter with the uart com drivers. i had them all running using the zadiag drivers and 3.2.0 & 3.3.2 but they run for about an hour then lock my pc up. on the pi sometime most would launch but then start dropping out. when i swapped to brand name hubs on the pi they all worked. so something in my setup.
i dont have the 5v wire cut going to the computer. also i'm using probably 18-20 gauge wire going to the hubs and lamp cord going to the 120v.
also do you guys daisy chain these hubs one to another to another, or do you use a central hub with a bunch of hubs connected into it.

You have too many running at once,take one out try it,repeat until they run.Be it the USB hub or what I have no idea,but thats how I find out....................

Try BFGminer,follow these instructions:

https://www.btcguild.com/index.php?page=support&section=blockerupter

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
suprabitz

Activity: 148

View Profile
August 11, 2013, 02:42:51 AM

i thought 30 was ok.... pi was supposed to be good to about 42 or so. how many are you guys running per pi/pc for the bigger farms?
visdude
Legendary

View Profile
August 11, 2013, 06:55:48 AM
Last edit: August 11, 2013, 08:55:48 AM by visdude

A work in progress:

These are the 7-port hubs from MCM.  As you may have already noticed, these are just the generic hubs from China that's all over the Bay and sold dirt cheap albeit with less capable AC adapters. All MCM did was couple the hubs with better power units and marketed them.  I could have done better and further reduced the per port cost if I had put them together myself but I was in a jam as I was expecting more miners to arrive in a couple of days and I only have so much USB ports on my rigs.  I had to pony up for a 2-day shipping and for the applicable sales tax though which added a little to the per port cost but it's OK because I already ROI'd those extra expenses.  Smiley

MCM's site specified that the AC adapters are 5V 2.5A.  I then called tech support to verify the specs.  The gentleman literally called their warehouse while putting me on hold and came back on with the good news that it is in fact, a 5V 3.5A.  Here's a confirmation:

It supports seven miners with no issues; tested it for a few hours.  With all seven BEs hashing, the power units get very warm (an optimistically good indication that the internal heatsinks are doing their job of dissipating heat through the case) but one could still touch them for the longest time and not experience any burning discomfort.

The seven BEs registered 21W AC off the wall on a Kill-A-Watt while mining (100% load or thereabouts).  That's 3W AC for each miner.  Based on the BE's specified rating of 2.5W DC, that puts the AC adapters' efficiency at around 83% at 100% load; at 50% load (peak) it would probably be at least 85% efficient.  That's impressive for a wall wart.  If I'm not mistaken, this falls within the 80 Plus Bronze category.

I'm expecting a few more miners coming in on Monday and I intend to max them out and populate the two rear ports on each of them.  Here they are in action:

http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/visdude/media/MVI_0076_zps911be64e.mp4.html
galtbit

Activity: 231

View Profile
August 11, 2013, 02:27:35 PM

Great review!
aurel57
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 11, 2013, 02:43:09 PM
Last edit: August 11, 2013, 03:14:38 PM by aurel57

A work in progress:

These are the 7-port hubs from MCM.  As you may have already noticed, these are just the generic hubs from China that's all over the Bay and sold dirt cheap albeit with less capable AC adapters. All MCM did was couple the hubs with better power units and marketed them.  I could have done better and further reduced the per port cost if I had put them together myself but I was in a jam as I was expecting more miners to arrive in a couple of days and I only have so much USB ports on my rigs.  I had to pony up for a 2-day shipping and for the applicable sales tax though which added a little to the per port cost but it's OK because I already ROI'd those extra expenses.  Smiley

MCM's site specified that the AC adapters are 5V 2.5A.  I then called tech support to verify the specs.  The gentleman literally called their warehouse while putting me on hold and came back on with the good news that it is in fact, a 5V 3.5A.  Here's a confirmation:

It supports seven miners with no issues; tested it for a few hours.  With all seven BEs hashing, the power units get very warm (an optimistically good indication that the internal heatsinks are doing their job of dissipating heat through the case) but one could still touch them for the longest time and not experience any burning discomfort.

The seven BEs registered 21W AC off the wall on a Kill-A-Watt while mining (100% load or thereabouts).  That's 3W AC for each miner.  Based on the BE's specified rating of 2.5W DC, that puts the AC adapters' efficiency at around 83% at 100% load; at 50% load (peak) it would probably be at least 85% efficient.  That's impressive for a wall wart.  If I'm not mistaken, this falls within the 80 Plus Bronze category.

I'm expecting a few more miners coming in on Monday and I intend to max them out and populate the two rear ports on each of them.  Here they are in action:

My question is how are you connecting  all the hubs together? daisy chaining from one to another? or thru a empty hub?
DBordello

Activity: 349
Merit: 250

BTCPak.com - Exchange your Bitcoins for MP!

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2013, 03:42:46 PM

A work in progress:

Excellent post.  This is exactly the same plan I have.  I recently bought 4 of the MCM hubs, and confirm they have 3.5A power supplies.  My local electronics store has them for ~$7 each.

Two of the ports are in the back, in the opposite orientation.  Is there enough room to use those ports as well?  Are you actually able to get 7 miners on each hub?  In your picture it appears you are only using the front ports.

Nice setup.

Dan

www.BTCPak.com - Exchange your bitcoins for MP: Secure, Anonymous and Easy!
visdude
Legendary

View Profile
August 11, 2013, 07:41:25 PM

Great review!
Thanks!
Nemo1024 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1014

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2013, 07:46:40 PM

I have tried and using [ Monoprice 12-port USB 2.0 Hub w/3.5A AC Adapter ] in my setup I'm running 7 block erupters on it nicely and due to the nice round shape there is plenty of breathing room between all of the erupters for heat dissipation.

Monoprice 12-port USB 2.0 Hub w/3.5A AC Adapter

what would be cool would be if these had fold out male connecters in the bottom so that you could stack them.

He he, just found one that can be stacked! Smiley

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Revoltec-7-Port-USB2-0-Stackable-RZ055/dp/B002NQSE4I
http://www.ceneo.pl/7395777

Alas, as I see it, it's port layout will allow only for 3 BEs to be connected. Also, I cannot find the power adapter specs anywhere. So it will not be added to the main table.

“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”
“We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.”
“It is important to fight and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated.”
visdude
Legendary

View Profile
August 11, 2013, 08:17:31 PM

A work in progress:

Excellent post.  This is exactly the same plan I have.  I recently bought 4 of the MCM hubs, and confirm they have 3.5A power supplies as sold on the Bay.  My local electronics store has them for ~$7 each.

Two of the ports are in the back, in the opposite orientation.  Is there enough room to use those ports as well?  Are you actually able to get 7 miners on each hub?  In your picture it appears you are only using the front ports.

Nice setup.

Dan

Thanks!

I doubt if the ones from your local store have the 3.5A PSU.  For that price, I'm almost sure they come with the inferior 400mA or similar PSU as sold on the Bay.  Have you verified it?  If they do indeed have the 3.5A AC adapter, I sure would like to buy a bunch of them from your local store.  Even with a 2.5A adapter, they'd still be dirt cheap.  Where's your locality, BTW?

I only populated the front ports because I have exactly 35 miners (i.e. 7 x 5 = 35) in hand.  I'll have more BEs coming in tomorrow.
A_Member

Activity: 27

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 01:55:11 AM

How do we get this thread pinned? too many people starting new threads about HUBs. Undecided

+1
galtbit

Activity: 231

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 02:17:12 AM

+1
elite.mafia

Activity: 8

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 05:42:54 AM

I just received a Juiced Systems USB 3.0/2.0   13 (4x3.0, 9x2.0)
Your guide says it can run 6, but that is total bs!
I can run 3 MAX on this thing before I start getting more hardware errors than accepts. As soon as I plug in a 4th I get nonstop errors. Here is a picture from when I woke up this morning. The BAJ is a BFL Jalapeno
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/mikestrike/wat_zps9a9b5f86.png

I had 5 plugged in. After messing around for a while, I finally got it to stop showing USB AMUx READ BUFFERING XXX EXTRA BYTES and have all of them mining correctly with 1% or less error rate. I had to reduce the number connected through this hub to THREE before the errors went away!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 »
  Print  

Jump to: