Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:42:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40]
  Print  
Author Topic: Which USB hub to use with Block Erupters | NanoFury NF1 | BPMC Red Fury | Ant U1  (Read 128520 times)
RobMozza

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 07:24:46 PM

OK, thanks for your reply. I am defeated and will cease looking for the holy grail (5A 10 Port USB 2.0 hub)

Two D-Links will have to do
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
movellan

Activity: 348
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 02, 2014, 10:32:59 PM

D-Link 7 port powered hub was a good one for the Pi

There are lots of others

on page 1 there was a very good guide on which to avoid

Aye, although that only has six usable ports and they do look rather close together :-( I assume it's probably not a great hub for the larger Bitfury's and newer USB devices? should I upgrade later..

Looking at the list on page one, it only comes down to the two 5A hubs, the Anker or the Juiced but both are USB3 which probably wont work with my Pi.. hence I'm stumped in to what will work.. surely somebody knows of a 10 port USB 2 hub with a 4.5A or 5A power supply confirmed working on a Raspberry Pi?

USB3 generally do not work with the Pi

The d-link will happily support 4 antminers or 4 furies,          with an angled usb adapter, sometimes it will run 5 sticks.

the main one I have been using is a 49 port block erupter USB2,    which will happily accommodate 35 devices(this seems to be the limit for my Pi)

EDIT:- photo on dropbox   https://www.dropbox.com/s/paifqw0mxsys5yn/IMG_20140902_193547.jpg?dl=0

I have a couple of 49-port hubs I could use with a PI. What mining software and setup are you using?

klintay
Legendary

Activity: 1775
Merit: 1032

Value will be measured in sats

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2014, 12:34:31 AM
Last edit: September 06, 2014, 09:35:49 AM by klintay

OK, thanks for your reply. I am defeated and will cease looking for the holy grail (5A 10 Port USB 2.0 hub)

Two D-Links will have to do

I have a new 10 Port 10A USB Hub that i am selling. Check it out over here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=767550

Comes with power 12V 5A power adapter. we have US, EU, UK plugs

You might notice the design looks familiar Smiley

BTC payment is preferred.
RobMozza

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 12:58:43 PM

I have a couple of 49-port hubs I could use with a PI. What mining software and setup are you using?

Hi MudbankKeith, myself I'm just using Raspbian Wheezy with CGminer 4.5.0 connected to an Orico 10 port hub (only running 5 BE's and a USB fan) on my main PC I've plugged in the other 3 BE's and another USB fan. Hardly ground breaking is it.. 8 BE's, lol.

This morning I ordered two seven port D-Link DUB-H7 USB hubs, then I'll shift all the BE's over to the Pi (and probably buy two additional BE's) then that'll be me.. No point spending anymore money on this kit, although I may look into the faster USB devices such as the Furies
Mudbankkeith

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 05:50:00 PM

Hi MudbankKeith, myself I'm just using Raspbian Wheezy with CGminer 4.5.0 connected to an Orico 10 port hub (only running 5 BE's and a USB fan) on my main PC I've plugged in the other 3 BE's and another USB fan. Hardly ground breaking is it.. 8 BE's, lol.

This morning I ordered two seven port D-Link DUB-H7 USB hubs, then I'll shift all the BE's over to the Pi (and probably buy two additional BE's) then that'll be me.. No point spending anymore money on this kit, although I may look into the faster USB devices such as the Furies

Furies and antminer u1/u2 have another 3 months of useful life.(if you can buy them cheaply)

BTc donations welcome:-  13c2KuzWCaWFTXF171Zn1HrKhMYARPKv97
Mudbankkeith

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 05:57:52 PM

D-Link 7 port powered hub was a good one for the Pi

There are lots of others

on page 1 there was a very good guide on which to avoid

Aye, although that only has six usable ports and they do look rather close together :-( I assume it's probably not a great hub for the larger Bitfury's and newer USB devices? should I upgrade later..

Looking at the list on page one, it only comes down to the two 5A hubs, the Anker or the Juiced but both are USB3 which probably wont work with my Pi.. hence I'm stumped in to what will work.. surely somebody knows of a 10 port USB 2 hub with a 4.5A or 5A power supply confirmed working on a Raspberry Pi?

USB3 generally do not work with the Pi

The d-link will happily support 4 antminers or 4 furies,          with an angled usb adapter, sometimes it will run 5 sticks.

the main one I have been using is a 49 port block erupter USB2,    which will happily accommodate 35 devices(this seems to be the limit for my Pi)

EDIT:- photo on dropbox   https://www.dropbox.com/s/paifqw0mxsys5yn/IMG_20140902_193547.jpg?dl=0

Standard Pi with minepeon
I also have a cheap 10 port unpowered usb2 hub as a connecter.
I have 4xDlink 7 port hubs and 1x49 port erupter hub
4xfuries in each Dlink and the rest in the 49'er
This gives some space for air movement(they do get warm)
The 49'er is powered from the same supply as my antminer S3(saves having a hot paperclip in the PSU)
My max count seems to be 35 devices in this setup(the Pi fails to find any more that get pluged in)

movellan

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 03:47:48 AM

The 49'er is powered from the same supply as my antminer S3(saves having a hot paperclip in the PSU)
My max count seems to be 35 devices in this setup(the Pi fails to find any more that get pluged in)

Thanks for replying. Have you tried the 49-port hub alone with the Pi?  I can get the filled 49-hub unit to work with Windoze 7 but when rebooting Windoze forgets the config and you have to re-set the ports, so I'm looking for an alternative.
klintay
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2014, 04:06:10 AM

Thanks for replying. Have you tried the 49-port hub alone with the Pi?  I can get the filled 49-hub unit to work with Windoze 7 but when rebooting Windoze forgets the config and you have to re-set the ports, so I'm looking for an alternative.

Ubuntu might work well. It is easy to install along side Windows and is a lot more stable.
xstr8guy

Activity: 784
Merit: 1004

Glow Stick Dance!

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 04:28:25 AM

I hate to be that guy (well no, actually I don't, lol)...

Umm, but why is anyone messing about with USB miners these days?
Beastlymac

Activity: 630
Merit: 501

Miner Setup And Reviews. WASP Rep.

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 07:50:32 AM

I hate to be that guy (well no, actually I don't, lol)...

Umm, but why is anyone messing about with USB miners these days?

They are still probably the best tool for introducing people to bitcoin. Cheap, compact and don't make any noise also they output minimal heat. They most likely won't achieve a ROI but they are a good learning tool.

Message me if you have any problems
movellan

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 09:45:23 AM

Ubuntu might work well. It is easy to install along side Windows and is a lot more stable.

Know of any guides to use the 49-port units with Ubuntu?
Beastlymac

Activity: 630
Merit: 501

Miner Setup And Reviews. WASP Rep.

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 04:30:10 PM

Know of any guides to use the 49-port units with Ubuntu?

Using raspbian it was plug and play for me. It didn't require any setting up. You can see it in use here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LURaT9i8ttI&list=UUXpnoDc_-9APmSrv4-JIJkw

Message me if you have any problems
Mudbankkeith

View Profile
September 04, 2014, 06:54:08 PM

Not tried the 49 port with the Pi on it's own.
This rig has been running stable for weeks, It seems to be happy with 35 sticks, any more ant they are not found.
The main thing is to keep the Pi cool, hot apple Pi is nice to eat, but hot raspberry Pi for hashing is not a good idea.
It is still giving a return over electricity and should continue for another 3 months or so.
For August it returned 3.2/1                 that's a massive ................................ 0.03923 BTc
The Furies have been running since November 2013 and the U1's since January 2014
They will never ROI in their lifetime, but will anything else?

klintay
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2014, 04:26:57 AM
Last edit: September 07, 2014, 04:52:37 AM by klintay

I am giving away 4 x Dipo Electronic 10 Port 10Amp USB 2.0 Hubs. These are brand new and the latest hub from dipo. They come with free power adapter (60 watt), usb cable and mounts.

These are hub giveaway thread is here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=771339

The conditions that you must agree to:

- must have 10 miners or some sort of usb device that needs 8-10 ports.
- must agree to post pictures in this thread and my original thread (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=767550)
- agree to make a short video (2 mins at least) that will be uploaded to youtube for marketing purposes

People with hero/sr member status and high trust ratings are preferred. Hubs will be sent by registered airmail with tracking number. All expenses paid by me.

Youtube video just needs to show different angles of the hub in action. If you are using it for mining then you can finish with a shot of cgminer/bfgminer running

3 left right now
slashka

Activity: 248
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 07, 2014, 06:46:22 AM

Hey guys!

Yesterday I have bought d-link hub-h7. I have two 5-chip gridseeds and two antminers u2. I tried to run this antminers in charging ports, but it can handle only one at a time (as soon as I found this topic and see that yes, only 6 devices).

But I was able to run them both on that ports. All I need to do is manualy reconnect usb cable in rpi. I have tried to programmatically restart usb ports, but have no result. May be someone found a decision?

PayCoin - the people's money.
URC Coin - the power of hexagon!
Need a coin website? PM me
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40]
  Print  

Jump to: