Bitcoin Forum
May 15, 2024, 07:05:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 [220] 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 ... 443 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] [QRK] Quark | Core 0.10 upgrade  (Read 1031112 times)
pabloangello
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 10:42:48 PM

http://www.reddit.com/r/QuarkCoin/comments/1upa4x/someone_or_some_exchange_bought_around_2000000/

mbenga

Activity: 182
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 02:24:14 AM

we had a bump, i think it will pump soon
cryptohunter
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1167

MY RED TRUST LEFT BY SCUMBAGS - READ MY SIG

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 04:26:24 AM

That must be an exchange buying that 2M. USD

Same thing before btce added xpm.  Some how the price dumps to lowest for ages......then wow huge buy order. Next day or two announcement.  Exchanges make huge bank.

Only good thing is they didn't get my QRK at 7 or 8 cents..  no chance.

heskey

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 09:21:00 AM

We quarkers just follow one elementary rule. HODL!

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Promethium

Activity: 222
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 09:37:54 AM

We quarkers just follow one elementary rule. HODL!
Everybody HODL Grin

And while you at it take a look at http://forum.qrk.cc/thread/1242/quark-song-contest
flayway

Activity: 219
Merit: 102

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 11:19:11 AM

Good pump now when there is coming weekend drop soon  Grin Again some trick get price up and dump and buy later better price back.

XCP:     19zzpgk3oakH2b7zd63mw3DadtNkvefVfo    BTC:     1ASSkiRsqRUUp5Y8YQYnuc41fBbYR3iRD2
Netnox
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1008

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 11:27:10 AM

New website is up http://www.qrk.cc
GreenWins

Activity: 98

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 12:17:23 PM
Last edit: January 09, 2014, 12:28:21 PM by GreenWins

So after reading about the potential 51% attack on bitcoin. It's good to know quark is more secure because of CPU mining. I think people will finally understand how quarks actually stand out and why our mining period was so rapid.

Quark CPU mining insure that each individual able to securely defend the network and protect it.

Its About Sharing
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

Antifragile

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 03:09:39 PM

So after reading about the potential 51% attack on bitcoin. It's good to know quark is more secure because of CPU mining. I think people will finally understand how quarks actually stand out and why our mining period was so rapid.

Quark CPU mining insure that each individual able to securely defend the network and protect it.

I'm not sure that is completely true. The problem with Bitcoin and a 51% attack is more about the pools than about ASIC's, though there is something of a potentially centralized problem with ASIC's, yes.

Who has more mining pools, Bitcoin or Quark? I am pretty sure BTC has MANY MANY more pools. So, what that means is, due to Quark having fewer pools, it is even more important to watch for a 51%
attack. You can have good people unknowingly mining in a bad pool - with no idea of the pools intention. I think the Gigahash.io double spend thing is exactly that.

I would suggest some form of protocol for pools to follow that doesn't allow 1 to have more than 25% or some smaller arbitrary amount. A large holder of ASIC's (or CPU's) could still control a few pools in the same way though, so we need to work on this. For sure a single point of failure.

I am a holder of both Quark and BTC, with the latter being much larger than the former. But I have to be honest here, the best Crypto's should win as this is about the people, not the money (per say.)

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
Netnox
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1008

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 04:01:19 PM

I'm not sure that is completely true. The problem with Bitcoin and a 51% attack is more about the pools than about ASIC's, though there is something of a potentially centralized problem with ASIC's, yes.

Who has more mining pools, Bitcoin or Quark? I am pretty sure BTC has MANY MANY more pools. So, what that means is, due to Quark having fewer pools, it is even more important to watch for a 51%
attack. You can have good people unknowingly mining in a bad pool - with no idea of the pools intention. I think the Gigahash.io double spend thing is exactly that.

I would suggest some form of protocol for pools to follow that doesn't allow 1 to have more than 25% or some smaller arbitrary amount. A large holder of ASIC's (or CPU's) could still control a few pools in the same way though, so we need to work on this. For sure a single point of failure.

I am a holder of both Quark and BTC, with the latter being much larger than the former. But I have to be honest here, the best Crypto's should win as this is about the people, not the money (per say.)

Is it not possible for QRK to use limitations to pools to avoid it from reaching 51%? Something from outside the pool that can stop a particular pool just in case.
GreenWins

Activity: 98

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 04:58:33 PM
Last edit: January 09, 2014, 05:08:44 PM by GreenWins

I mean that as a solo miner. The average person is able to start mining without specialized hardware like ASIC if a pool starts to get close to 51%. While bitcoiners have no power unless they own ASIC hardware to help the network. This is where quark beauty shines.

porcupine87

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

hm

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 05:18:13 PM

I mean that as a solo miner. Average people are able to start mining without specialized hardware like ASIC if a pool starts to get close to 51%. While bitcoiners have no power unless they own ASIC hardware to help the network. This is where quark beauty shines.

I don't know. A pool consists of many individual miners. Therefore they can switch or make the pool even with 50%+ act with the protocol.

Well, if I want to support the network ASICs would be nice, true. But this is not only a disadvantage of Bitcoin. How many computers do I(or one entity) need to infect to get 51%. And with Quarkcoin?

"Morality, it could be argued, represents the way that people would like the world to work - whereas economics represents how it actually does work." Freakonomics
DarthNoodle

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 05:22:46 PM

I mean that as a solo miner. Average people are able to start mining without specialized hardware like ASIC if a pool starts to get close to 51%. While bitcoiners have no power unless they own ASIC hardware to help the network. This is where quark beauty shines.

I don't know. A pool consists of many individual miners. Therefore they can switch or make the pool even with 50%+ act with the protocol.

Well, if I want to support the network ASICs would be nice, true. But this is not only a disadvantage of Bitcoin. How many computers do I(or one entity) need to infect to get 51%. And with Quarkcoin?

Thats a good point, Quark is not a POS coin so i assume it can get 51% attacked? wonder how many cloud servers it would take if it can be attacked.. especially after the block reward flattens out!
Its About Sharing
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

Antifragile

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 05:42:02 PM

I'm pro Quark, but just thinking about weaknesses in any of the coins I hold is a good practice. A weakness of CPU's are bots. If a competing coin saw Quarks as a threat, what is to stop a fairly wealthy individual from buying some mining bots on Quark (huge amount) and try to get control of the network via a pool then? Not sure how expensive it would be on Quark but stranger things have happened when money is the goal, unfortunately.

Not that I think this would happen, but its good to be ready in the future for any form of attack.

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
professorY

Activity: 364

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 05:51:42 PM

I'm pro Quark, but just thinking about weaknesses in any of the coins I hold is a good practice. A weakness of CPU's are bots. If a competing coin saw Quarks as a threat, what is to stop a fairly wealthy individual from buying some mining bots on Quark (huge amount) and try to get control of the network via a pool then? Not sure how expensive it would be on Quark but stranger things have happened when money is the goal, unfortunately.

Not that I think this would happen, but its good to be ready in the future for any form of attack.

The cost of the attack is not really an issue. Botnets are installed via malware and infect hundreds or thousands or millions of computers. An attacker only needs the will and technical means. Money has nothing to do with it. That is the danger of CPU-only coins.

NotePad.io - Free, secure online notepad. Create & share (or keep private) rich notes, text and images.
cryptohunter
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1167

MY RED TRUST LEFT BY SCUMBAGS - READ MY SIG

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 05:57:30 PM

The cost of the attack is not really an issue. Botnets are installed via malware and infect hundreds or thousands or millions of computers. An attacker only needs the will and technical means. Money has nothing to do with it. That is the danger of CPU-only coins.

Botnets are getting much harder to install on peoples pc these days. Everyone i know if freaky anal about antivirus, malwarebytes etc etc, windows is getting pretty secure compared to what it used to be. People running old shit like xp probably don't have their pc on much and the cpu is mostly crap and they will notice if their cycles suddenly get raped. I would guess botnets will be less of a threat in the future. However, would be nice to see QRK have some POS later Smiley  just a couple of percent for anti inflation and protection against 51% also..

aorith

Activity: 84

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 06:40:22 PM

How hard would be to implement POS in Quark? and what would be (if any) the disadvantages?

BTC: 1Pc2BrecisYLZ2FSFEgCn16ogTHjopqEey  LTC: LM1XBHF8Ccv2vdgh3kqCqPaGkWGhzRMxjw
NXT: 3946500435546198781
dzejmsdin

Activity: 355

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 07:48:08 PM

New website is up http://www.qrk.cc

Finally!

▄▄█████████████▄▄
       ▄▄████████████████████
     ▄██  █  ██████████████  ███
   ▄████  █  ████████████   ██████
  ▄█████  █  ██████████   █████████
 ███████  █  ████████   ████████████
▄███████  █  ██████   ██████████████
████████  █  █████   ████████████████
████████  █  ███   █  ███████████████
████████  █  █   █  ██  █████████████
▀███████  █     ████  ██  ███████████
 ███████  █   ████████  ██  ████████
  ▀█████    ████████████  ██  █████
   ▀████  ████████████████  ██████
     ▀██ ███████████████████  ███
       ▀▀████████████████████▀▀
           ▀▀████████████▀▀

KURRENT

● GITHUB
● TWITTER
● SLACK
likepeas

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 08:18:10 PM

How hard would be to implement POS in Quark? and what would be (if any) the disadvantages?

check this out :

http://quarkpayments.com/
TBCM

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2014, 08:22:30 PM

I made a Quark Faucet Smiley

The faucet needs donations to increase the payout amount.

Pages: « 1 ... 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 [220] 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 ... 443 »
  Print  

Jump to: