Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 05:26:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Pages: « 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 [87] 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 ... 914 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [LABCOIN] IPO [BTCT.CO] - Details/FAQ and Discussion (ASIC dev/sales/mining)  (Read 1079977 times)
Vigil

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 04:40:51 AM

Maybe just a bit too late in my transfer to pick up really low prices.

Reddit is saying this story is BS and a mistake regarding an old story.

There is another company named Avalon Ventures, or something like that that also raised $200 mil in the past few years. However, the WSJ wouldn't make that kind of mistake.

I wouldn't put it past them. Supposedly they may be quoting the bitcoin examiner article which may be bs.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TheSwede75 (OP)

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 04:49:00 AM

Not that I am personally that interested in speculation but I have purchased shares personally tonight. Clearly a lot of people are running scared because of the "Avalon news", but I think most people realize that this is GREAT news for Bitcoin as a currency, while I don't think it affects short/medium term mining or current/next generation ASIC at all.

What people should take this investment as is that a LARGE investor that couldn't possibly buy $200 million worth of Bitcoin on the open market is betting FIAT on BTC increasing in value A LOT in the next few years.

There is NO WAY that 20 nm will come out in any quantities before mid/late 2014 (and that would be very impressive) and time-to-market is still more important then anything.

I think the "crash" in ASIC stocks today has been a great opportunity for cheap shares in many companies not only Labcoin.
TheSwede75 (OP)

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 04:50:04 AM

Maybe just a bit too late in my transfer to pick up really low prices.

Reddit is saying this story is BS and a mistake regarding an old story.

There is another company named Avalon Ventures, or something like that that also raised $200 mil in the past few years. However, the WSJ wouldn't make that kind of mistake.

It would be just so much incompetence if that was the case. However, not at all impossible.
damiano
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

103 days, 21 hours and 10 minutes.

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 04:50:58 AM

Not that I am personally that interested in speculation but I have purchased shares personally tonight. Clearly a lot of people are running scared because of the "Avalon news", but I think most people realize that this is GREAT news for Bitcoin as a currency, while I don't think it affects short/medium term mining or current/next generation ASIC at all.

What people should take this investment as is that a LARGE investor that couldn't possibly buy $200 million worth of Bitcoin on the open market is betting FIAT on BTC increasing in value A LOT in the next few years.

There is NO WAY that 20 nm will come out in any quantities before mid/late 2014 (and that would be very impressive) and time-to-market is still more important then anything.

I think the "crash" in ASIC stocks today has been a great opportunity for cheap shares in many companies not only Labcoin.

You personally purchased shares in labcoin you mean?
Ytterbium

Activity: 238

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2013, 04:51:24 AM

I'm just hoping my buy at 0.001246 goes though before people figure that out Grin

freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 04:51:29 AM

Went to brush my teeth and now I am a bag holder. Lost about 2.5 BTC - everything I made in the last week and 1/3 of what I have.

bag holder too , now holding 13K+ LAB shares, 100 BTCGarden shares.

Holding this bag I have a feeling that this is a good choice Smiley

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
Exocyst

Activity: 266

Science!

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 04:53:28 AM

Translation: "Buy! Sheep. Buy!"

Honestly, Lots of winners and losers tonight. Great lesson in keeping liquidity, so you can pounce on weaker hands.

Vigil

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 04:55:32 AM

Honestly, Lots of winners and losers tonight. Great lesson in keeping liquidity, so you can pounce on weaker hands.

I bought some at around .0014 so I price averaged down to .0016 - lets see what happens over the next few days. I want to dump some of these for liquidity reasons.
TheSwede75 (OP)

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 05:08:14 AM

I am just voicing my opinion. And yes, Labcoin shares of course.
Mabsark
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 05:28:36 AM

I doubt Avalon would be able to get any 20nm chips produced in 2014. There will be limited capacity and that will be used by AMD, Nvidia and ARM.
Ytterbium

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2013, 05:51:24 AM

$200m should be plenty of money to get on the waiting list for 0.20nm.

But initial costs will be high, seems like it would be much cheaper to simply make 50% more 28nm chips.

I suspect $200m figure might actually be one thing that was taken from the older articles. It just makes no sense, unless they think the price of bitcoin is going to totally explode.

TheSwede75 (OP)

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 05:55:50 AM

UPDATE: Regarding my purchasing shares in Labcoin I up just wanted to point out that I am not privy to insider information (I function as marketing/support resource) and my motives behind buying shares is/was based on my own belief that Labcoin is undervalued at this point and that the Avalon news initially "scared" a lot of ASIC companies share holders.
TheSwede75 (OP)

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 06:00:29 AM

But initial costs will be high, seems like it would be much cheaper to simply make 50% more 28nm chips.

I suspect $200m figure might actually be one thing that was taken from the older articles. It just makes no sense, unless they think the price of bitcoin is going to totally explode.

No matter how I look at this, IF the investment is indeed $200 million that is nothing more than a HUGE bet on very fast and sharp increase in Bitcon value.

Why? Because almost no matter the technology used, to actually make a sustainable profit off $200 invested Avalon would have to hold OVER 50% of the network hash rate for a very long time (many years) at current BTC value, a calculation I think no VC would be willing to bet on (Not onto mention the huge risk to the Bitcoin network as a whole).

What this investment really is, is a HUGE bet on increasing BTC value. Nothing else in my opinion. It's someone who wants into BTC on a larger scale then they could reasonably purchase BTC over the open market.
Vigil

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 06:02:54 AM

No matter how I look at this, IF the investment is indeed $200 million that is nothing more than a HUGE bet on very fast and sharp increase in Bitcon value.

Why? Because almost no matter the technology used, to actually make a sustainable profit off $200 invested Avalon would have to hold OVER 50% of the network hash rate for a very long time (many years) at current BTC value, a calculation I think no VC would be willing to bet on (Not onto mention the huge risk to the Bitcoin network as a whole).

What this investment really is, is a HUGE bet on increasing BTC value. Nothing else in my opinion. It's someone who wants into BTC on a larger scale then they could reasonably purchase BTC over the open market.
If the story is even legit.
yuansuyi

Activity: 210
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 06:05:52 AM

UPDATE: Regarding my purchasing shares in Labcoin I up just wanted to point out that I am not privy to insider information (I function as marketing/support resource) and my motives behind buying shares is/was based on my own belief that Labcoin is undervalued at this point and that the Avalon news initially "scared" a lot of ASIC companies share holders.

I think you should not talk about buying/selling of labcoin stocks, as team member of  labcoin. It's just misleading.

I'm more interested in the 3M private shares, what's your plan to ensure the shareholders that you will not sell into market, not just by saying.
TheSwede75 (OP)

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 06:09:12 AM

If the story is even legit.

Of course. But even assuming it is, I would go as far as to say that the market reaction makes NO sense.

if Avalon indeed have taken on $200 million in capital, and one can assume they did not sell a majority position. IMAGINE what that values the company at! Then apply just a small amount of the same formula to ASICMINER, LABCOIN, ACTIVE MINING and BTCGARDEN..

Realistically that could re-value the entire ASIC sector.

If Avalon is worth ballpark $400 million+ what should the rest of the sector be worth? A LOT more then what the companies are today, that's for sure.
TheSwede75 (OP)

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 06:10:46 AM

I think you should not talk about buying/selling of labcoin stocks, as team member of  labcoin. It's just misleading.

I'm more interested in the 3M private shares, what's your plan to ensure the shareholders that you will not sell into market, not just by saying.

Point taken. Even though i am not an insider or founder/developer i see how it could be seen as inappropriate for me to discuss my investments. I have also been informed that Labcoin will make a public statement regarding the Founders holdings within 24 hours to ease any concerns from share holders.
Ytterbium

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2013, 06:13:20 AM

Glad I sold off most shares, even at a loss; what is left is not doing so well

Code:
LABCOIN Purchase History. Approx Profit:	▼ ฿ -86.7616417

Hopefully we'll see more info to satisfy investors than a pic of an fpga plugged into 3g router; like a Q/A session with dev which was mentioned, lot of red flags as it stands

The company is way undervalued.  Unless they're initial chips don't work, they'll have around at least 30Thash online by the start of september see here,  and if their chips hit only 50% of their performance goals they'll have 240Thash online with the second run of 130nm chips. 480Thash if they meet their performance goals.

Of course "chips not working" is certainly a possibility, but 130nm supposedly isn't that difficult.

Ytterbium

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2013, 06:19:45 AM

Actually, TheSwede75 Can you clarify: Their second 130nm order will be for 100k chips and is supposed to be ordered after they get their first order up and running, so they should get chips in december?

Also, the plan is to get 30-50Thash online in september, but here they say they want to get 1,000/1,500 chips in the first order which at 4.8Ghash would only be 4.8-7.2Th.

I assume they meant 10k/15k right?

freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 06:23:17 AM

I must agree that 200 million when AM has values at that range and a market capital of 1 billion is a big bet on bitcoin before miners given the production time-frame I must admit bitcoin always keeps me interested. Truly it would be a giant bull sign.
http://blockchain.info/charts/market-cap

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
Pages: « 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 [87] 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 ... 914 »
  Print  

Jump to: