Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 04:53:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 ... 124 »
  Print  
Author Topic: CoinTerra announces its first ASIC - Hash-Rate greater than 500 GH/s  (Read 230752 times)
hope4me

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 09:19:46 PM

. I was concerned it would take years to get to reasonable prices,

Define reasonable price.
No matter what price point per TH you pick, if miners overbuy it wont be profitable.
Reasonable prices are prices very close to cost of production which means there is no more room to discount and therefore supply slows past a certain difficulty point.  The faster we get close to production cost in 28nm format the better.

Exactly. Thats why I waiting. These prices will be during next year, so no big deal of lost oppurtunity buying now the overpriced ones.

What will mater next year is the electricity cost  Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
abacus

Activity: 618
Merit: 500

a clockwork miner

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 05:48:17 PM

@cointerra:

I premise that I am not really interested in buying at this price level and with probable negative ROI projection (from any vendor).
Anyway I would kindly know two things:

- Have you intention to use one or more distributors for the EU market?

- Will you also sell "naked" hardware to small customers?
For naked, I mean just all needed electronics without PSU, water cooling system and case.

Thank you.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2013, 06:35:03 PM

@cointerra:

I premise that I am not really interested in buying at this price level and with probable negative ROI projection (from any vendor).

For naked, I mean just all needed electronics without PSU, water cooling system and case.

Thank you.

Who would you like to see become a distributor for the EU market?

Trusted individuals from this forum?

Regular electronic resellers?

Both?

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
abacus

a clockwork miner

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 08:08:19 PM
Last edit: September 26, 2013, 08:18:55 PM by abacus

Not sure about that, but I think that a distributor that already does it should be the best solution.
What I am looking at is a way to mitigate risks. Customs could keep your gears blocked for weeks.

Of course if distributors think to act as man in the middle and rise the price by 50%, as already happened (*), then I am sure I prefer to have some risks and order directly from the manufacturer.

Or don't order at all if the only way is from a distributor acting like that (*).

(*) CriptX/burnin anyone?
desired_username

Activity: 879
Merit: 1013

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 08:20:59 PM

I think the market has been severely distorted by pre-sales.  Miners have been willing to pay more for gear because they have been paying for it in a time frame when it looked like a good investment - but by the time they actually get the gear, the ROI is nada.  Miners will soon  (out of necessity, if not common sense) come to realize that this preorder thing ain't working - and vendors will have to have gear in-hand to sell it.  THEN, miners will be able to make realistic decisions about what prices make sense.

So you expect a company to pay for all the development. Create ASICs and wait for the customers to take them. I don't see that happening.

1.) It would require a huge investment and higher risk

2.) They would be silly not to keep the devices for themselves instead

xyzzy099
Legendary

Activity: 1063
Merit: 1048

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 08:34:43 PM

I think the market has been severely distorted by pre-sales.  Miners have been willing to pay more for gear because they have been paying for it in a time frame when it looked like a good investment - but by the time they actually get the gear, the ROI is nada.  Miners will soon  (out of necessity, if not common sense) come to realize that this preorder thing ain't working - and vendors will have to have gear in-hand to sell it.  THEN, miners will be able to make realistic decisions about what prices make sense.

So you expect a company to pay for all the development. Create ASICs and wait for the customers to take them. I don't see that happening.

1.) It would require a huge investment and higher risk

2.) They would be silly not to keep the devices for themselves instead

Yes.  Just like every other business in the world.

You might be right about it being silly for them not to keep the devices and mine with them themselves though.  If that's what makes business sense, I think that's what they should do.

This nonsense of financing via preorders will end very soon though, as enough people get burned, and the difficulty curve goes even more vertical.

Libertarians:  Diligently plotting to take over the world and leave you alone.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2013, 08:58:16 PM

Not sure about that, but I think that a distributor that already does it should be the best solution.
What I am looking at is a way to mitigate risks. Customs could keep your gears blocked for weeks.

Of course if distributors think to act as man in the middle and rise the price by 50%, as already happened (*), then I am sure I prefer to have some risks and order directly from the manufacturer.

Or don't order at all if the only way is from a distributor acting like that (*).

That makes sense.

Who are the most trusted/experienced distributors in our community?

Eleuthria (BTCguild) has sold many USBs in the US.

Who distributed AsicMiner's USBs in Europe?

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
viriat0

Activity: 1008
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 08:58:54 PM

That makes sense.

Who are the most trusted/experienced distributors in our community?

Eleuthria (BTCguild) has sold many USBs in the US.

Who distributed AsicMiner's USBs in Europe?

yxt

abacus

a clockwork miner

View Profile
September 29, 2013, 11:49:45 AM

Let me do a little bump please...

@cointerra:

Thank you.

I think this could interest other people too, am I right?
If not so, I will contact them by PM or email.
Bicknellski

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 10:17:15 AM

CoinTerra is proud to announce the specs of our first ASIC chip – GoldStrike1 (aka GS1)

GS1 is a 28nm chip and will be one of the highest performance ASICs in the Bitcoin mining world with a hash rate greater than 0.5TH at a power consumption of significantly less than 1 watt/GH. More details later this month before we take preorders.

The GS1 chips are expected to arrive late Q4 2013.

Our website will be ready to take preorders later this month with a range of products involving one or multiple units of the GS1.

Just chips available?

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2013, 09:03:39 PM

On a more serious note, I'll agree that CoinTerra has more impressive marketing material than most of their peers, but is there any 'meat' anyone can link me to? Where are they at in terms of schedule? Are they still on track? Did they pass tape-out yet? When are their first wafers expected? What does their PCB look like? Are they using air or water cooling? Will they rely on a host controller (such as USB-connected PC) or will they be using their own integrated controller such as an rPi?

I'm late to this party, but the details coming out of the CoinTerra camp seem to be quite sparse. Details which should have been long ironed out and committed to. I'd like to know how far along they are and if their December target is still viable. Competitors like BitFury and BFL have been posting board layouts, actual PCB pictures, enclosure pics, etc. all along. I'd expect CoinTerra to have these available as well, but have they disclosed any of this yet?

Does anyone know anything beyond the little that can be gleemed from their website? Someone asked me if they are legit ... I wasn't sure how to answer that.

There is no 'meat' but plenty of slick Cointerra vapor.

There are so specs, only ballpark estimates, because the chip has yet to tape-out.

Ballpark estimates given before the physical design has been emulated and finalized are meaningless wishes, not specs.

Tape-out was supposed to happen the first week of October, but we've heard nothing about that since they announced this goal.

Maybe "first week of October tape-out" was construed as a spec, when it was actually a ballpark estimate.   Roll Eyes

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
jjiimm_64
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 12, 2013, 07:10:55 PM

update would be nice.... at least an email to current investers...i mean customers

1jimbitm6hAKTjKX4qurCNQubbnk2YsFw
abacus

a clockwork miner

View Profile
October 13, 2013, 09:55:39 AM

update would be nice.... at least an email to current investers...i mean customers

LOL!

They were supposed to tape-out in the first week of October; an update would indeed be a good thing.
hagbase

Activity: 433
Merit: 254

View Profile
October 13, 2013, 10:07:11 AM

Yes update would be nice, are u still on track?
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4102
Merit: 1632

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2013, 11:16:18 PM

For what it's worth, CoinTerra have been talking to me about their MCU protocol and I have been working on a preliminary driver model for them, so they have most definitely not disappeared. I suspect they're approaching the communication via forum aspect differently to other manufacturers.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
ur0pl

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 02:07:50 AM

I missed the previous posts. Where is the tapeout?

cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 02:22:34 AM

I missed the previous posts. Where is the tapeout?

there is none.
gnar1ta$
Donator

Activity: 798

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 04:00:27 AM

Does it even matter if they are on track? Even $3/Ghash for an early Jan delivery does not return $3 in 12 months at 30% jumps.  A few % lower and it works out, but a few weeks later - and no one has delivered on time yet - and your back to losing.

Losing hundreds of Bitcoins with the best scammers in the business - BFL, Avalon, KNC, HashFast.
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 08:43:02 AM

They should offer even lower prices now. I want to buy a Terraminer IV. Gimme $2/GH and I'll get 10 units or something.

aerobatic

Activity: 702

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 08:47:35 AM

They should offer even lower prices now. I want to buy a Terraminer IV. Gimme $2/GH and I'll get 10 units or something.

While it may be possible for them to sell you chips at a lower price if they choose to, i really doubt they can sell any 'systems' lower than $3/GH because of all the other stuff thats in the box (case, power supply, cooling (fans, radiator, pumps), pcbs, controllers, sockets, cables etc).
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 ... 124 »
  Print  

Jump to: