Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:40:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 ... 124 »
  Print  
Author Topic: CoinTerra announces its first ASIC - Hash-Rate greater than 500 GH/s  (Read 230752 times)
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2013, 01:25:32 AM

didn't everyone else do that too including your 'home team' ?  hashfast announced their 400 GH chip specs at least a month before they taped out.  How is that any different?

HashFast went from logical design, to physical design, to complete tape-out in record-breaking time.  That speaks to their engineering and managerial prowess.

you're such a fanboy of hashfast you didn't notice they're more than a month late, even after they've got wafers back?   cointerra may have a month delayed tapeout, but they had built in some margin into their production and they say they can still meet their promised delivery schedule.  Possibly they can do this because they didn't promise an overly aggressive date, and just said late december, which they are still targetting.  They didn't over promise an early date then disappoint everyone but instead they gave a date that they believed they had a good chance of hitting.   hashfast now is in the unfortunate position of having sold their systems at october prices and will now deliver in december and beyond, making all their customers unhappy and feeling like they overpaid, whereas cointerra sold their systems significantly cheaper at december and january prices, and they're planning to deliver in december and january.  And if they deliver to those dates, their customers will get what they were promised, at prices that represent the extra time.   Its ironic that hashfast and cointerra will now deliver in the same month, yet they charged very different prices to customers.

You don't know that cointerra will deliver "in the same month" as HashFast.  Stop assuming facts not in evidence!

Of course I know about hashfast's delay.  It's funny when you dress up uncontested, widely-reported facts as some kind of argument clincher.

Sure, hashfast dropped the ball on the substrates.  That sucks but they are going to make it right.  Botching a tape-out is a far worse unforced error.

I'd rather be a day-one customer of an engineering-focused company like hashfast than a marketing-driven one like cointerra.

Really?  designing the 2nd generation chip tells you they're not happy with their first one?   A chip that outperforms, and is lower power than any other 28nm chip?  and you think that makes them unhappy?  Can you honestly, hand on heart, tell us that your own favoured hashfast team is not already thinking about their next generation chip?  Do you think any asic companies would be so dumb as to not have started designing the 2nd chip the second the first one has been put to bed.   And if they could afford two teams, they'd be doing them in parallel (like Intel does with Tick Tock architecture!)

Absolutely everyone who has taped out their chips, is already working on the next ones.   knc already announced theirs is in the works.   avalon's already announced the next three chips.  bitfury's on the next chip etc.  Good asic design takes time, and any asic company with any sense (and they are all very smart cookies) would most definitely be architecting their next chip the second they can so that in 6+ months' time, they've got a new product to offer their customers.  And I'm quite sure they have all learned a lot from their first chips so their second ones will be wayyy better.   And you know as well as i do that in the bitcoin world, hardware gets obsolete real fast... so you need to have a follow up in development ready for when you need it.

Again you assume facts not in evidence.  Cointerra's chip is 60 days away, not running at 1 GHz.

We know from their PR Hashfast is very far along with their 2nd chip.  But unlike Cointerra, they didn't fire their incompetent original design team and bring in new guys to design it.

They've paid expedite fees to get their chips delivered as fast as possible.  from tape-out to end of dec is less than 60 days so we'll see if they get them before end of dec.  Only time will tell but i think you're wrong that it will take more than 60 days!

Ask AMD why they decided GF's 28nm process isn't good enough for them, but TSMC's is (GF invested in the wrong 28nm tech years ago and TSMC didn't).

Just like Cointerra and Open Silicon, Global Foundries are amateurs compared to the 28nm pros at TSMC.

had hashfast been on time, i think that might've been true... but now that they're nearly two months late, in reality hashfast's multi petahash batches may well land in the same month as cointerras so i think the entire bitcoin mining community may well benefit from hashfast's delay (especially knc's customers who are probably extremely ecstatic right now... but also even cointerra's customers, who will now have much less network hash rate to contend with when their kit arrives, than it was originally going to be!)

Just having wafers back, without substrates is a pretty unfortunate position to be in as I'm sure you realise that wafers are useless without chips to put the dies in.  announcing an expected and significant customer delivery delay was pretty shocking for all concerned.. but do you think you can with a straight face accuse cointerra of a mere four week delay (and so far at least, unaffected delivery dates) when your own professed team has similar but much bigger problems (and very unhappy customers)

Delays during the tape-out process aren't unexpected... its an uncertain time and has to be taken into account during project planning... but delays AFTER your chips come back is a more surprising (and disastrous) outcome.  i expected to be mining with my hashfast systems by now.  instead, I'm literally not sure who will deliver sooner out of hashfast and cointerra, and knc is about to announce their new and improved systems in the next few hours!  and my existing knc gear has been hashing away with much less network hashrate than anyone could've expected this month.

The substrate delay is a one time thing, completely unrelated to TSMC's unparalleled ability to pump out 28nm wafers by the truckload.

Cointerra and HashFast are both a month behind, but HashFast started with a two month lead. 

All three of KNC, Hashfast and Cointerra are making relatively similar products with quite similar ish performance... differentiated only by price, delivery date and performance.  So far KnC has delivered on time.  Hashfast has announced substantial delays.  And Cointerra says they're still on time despite a four week tape-out slip.    Does it make you feel better about your own choice of miner's delay to try and bait another mining company  customers instead?  Perhaps you're better off placating the angry mob on your own forum before they try and storm the castle than spend your time worrying if cointerra will deliver on time.

You don't know WTF you're talking about.  HashFast's chips are three times more productive per sq. mm than KnC's.

VolcanicErupter asked a very good question on this thread, and I gave him the best answer I could.  Stop trying to control what other people say/do/think.

It's funny when you decry my post as unworthy, then write a giant wall of text strenuously attempting to debunk it.   Grin

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
aerobatic

Activity: 702
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 02:32:01 AM
Last edit: November 15, 2013, 02:42:52 AM by aerobatic

HashFast went from logical design, to physical design, to complete tape-out in record-breaking time.  That speaks to their engineering and managerial prowess.

I'm not denying they did it real fast. they're a damn good team and they were extremely efficient and aggressive.  but to say record breaking implies they did it faster than knc, and i don't think thats the case.  i think knc is definitely the record holder and neither hashfast (nor cointerra) will break that record!

You don't know that cointerra will deliver "in the same month" as HashFast.  Stop assuming facts not in evidence!

and you, equally don't know that they won't deliver in the same month.  but right now, their announced dates, are within a couple of weeks of each other!

Sure, hashfast dropped the ball on the substrates.  That sucks but they are going to make it right.  Botching a tape-out is a far worse unforced error.

hashfast has yet to say if and how they're going to 'make it right'.  what will they do?  refund everyone more than half of what they paid... to bring it into line with a december delivery $/gh price ?  e.g. to have charged the same as what cointerra charged per $/gh for december orders?  

and i agree that botching a tape-out is very annoying.  but if you can pay extra to everyone in the rest of the timeline to bring it back onto schedule and deliver when customers are expecting it, then no harm done!   Customers just care that they will get what they ordered, in a timely fashion.  they don't care what the company has to do to get there.

I'd rather be a day-one customer of an engineering-focused company like hashfast than a marketing-driven one like cointerra.

they're both engineering driven companies.  i don't know a single marketing person inside cointerra.  they don't even employ one, as far as i know.  they're just engineers, and cust support.  not a single marketing person.  they don't even employ someone of john (of hf)'s talents... though i think they should!

Again you assume facts not in evidence.  Cointerra's chip is 60 days away, not running at 1 GHz.

you have no evidence to the contrary either.  you don't KNOW cointerra's chip is more than 60 days away and you don't KNOW that its not 1 Ghz either!?   you're just trolling.   And yes, if you want to bet on it, i am confident enough on both of those facts that i would happily take your bet of both those statements exactly as you stated.   that cointerra WILL have chips within 60 days of tapeout, and that it WILL clock at 1 Ghz or over.

But i think you're missing a big point.  the customers don't care whether any chip is a particular clockspeed.  they care about delivery date, performance, price and power consumption...  hashfast's chip doesn't run at 1 ghz (i think it barely runs at half that speed... and it doesnt need to).   just as long as it delivers more than 400 GH, thats what everyone cares about.

We know from their PR Hashfast is very far along with their 2nd chip.  But unlike Cointerra, they didn't fire their incompetent original design team and bring in new guys to design it.

So you're saying that hashfast's team for their 2nd chip will be identical to the 1st chip are you?  Do you think thats likely?  Is it even relevant?  i mean, any change in architecture between chip 1 and chip 2 will probably require a different team with different skills.   i think that in almost every asic company's case, the team makeup between different generations of chips will be slightly, and possibly even wildly different depending on what they want to do different next time around.  You can be pretty sure that whoever contributed to the delay in tape-out at cointerra probably won't be flavour of the month next time around.

Ask AMD why they decided GF's 28nm process isn't good enough for them, but TSMC's is (GF invested in the wrong 28nm tech years ago and TSMC didn't).

no one cares whether gf is a better company than tsmc.  we all know tsmc is better.   its 4 times bigger, for a start.   but gf isn't a 'botch job' company either.  it has more than $4 billion in revenues and is the number 2 silicon company...  and they're both fully capable of churning out bucket loads of 28nm silicon, and if anything, making a deal with the number 2 company may get you more tlc than a deal with the number 1 company... as the number 2 is hungrier for the business and probably more willing to accommodate special requests (like expediting silicon production when its needed!)

Just like Cointerra and Open Silicon, Global Foundries are amateurs compared to the 28nm pros at TSMC.

Now you're just trolling again.  none of those companies are amateurs.  What a dumbass thing to say.   And do you think it makes hashfast and uniquify look like saints that they dropped the ball on the substrate thing?   no!  everyone makes mistakes.  If you measure companies just by their mistakes, they all look like amateurs.  The final proof... Will cointerras systems be on time, deliver the performance, and consume the power that they said?...   and we shall see.   And in January, when certainly both hashfast and cointerra will have systems in the wild, the 'customers' will be able to see whether they both delivered what they promised and whether they received 'good value'.  hopefully they both will!  everyone's a winner.  You don't need one to fail to make the other one good.  Both companies are good.. both companies are making good products and as far as I'm aware, both companies have sold out of the first two or more batches, so they both must have plenty of customers as well!   All they've got to do now is keep them happy!

The substrate delay is a one time thing, completely unrelated to TSMC's unparalleled ability to pump out 28nm wafers by the truckload.

Cointerra and HashFast are both a month behind, but HashFast started with a two month lead.  

Hashfast started with a two month lead alright.  And lost it.  Yes, cointerra is a month behind.  But hashfast is now more than a month behind.. nearly two (promised date was late oct).   But cointerra had the benefit of telling people a delivery date that had some slack in it, whereas hashfast was very optimistic.  They had a HUUUUGE lead, now disappeared.  bet cointerra are kicking themselves cos they could've come out ahead if they hadn't also had a delay!

You don't know WTF you're talking about.  HashFast's chips are three times more productive per sq. mm than KnC's.

yet again, you mis-understand the customer.   they don't care whose chips do what.  they care about systems and performance.. and price.. and delivery dates.  knc doesn't sell chips...  they sell systems.  and their system is a 550 GH today (and tomorrow, i believe its going to be faster.. 700?  750?).   hashfast's equivalently priced system is 400 GH today (and maybe 500 when oc'd).   price per GH - for the system - is what matters most, and availability.. and is regardless of how many dies or chips or whatever.  its a system to system comparison that customers most care about.   And there are other competitors too with completely different architectures like Bitmine, AMT, and Black Arrow... all of whom will now be in the marketplace in a similar-ish timeframe to hashfast and cointerra.

It's funny when you decry my post as unworthy, then write a giant wall of text strenuously attempting to debunk it.   Grin

You, Icebreaker, are just a troll.  You'll say ANYTHING, absolutely ANYTHING... to try and knock a competitor.   Well, I'm trying to be pragmatic.  I will defend cointerra against your trolling (and i also defend hashfast against other people's trolling.. and knc too).  I try to stick up for whoever is being unfairly maligned.  just trying to keep it real.  you're just a troll.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2013, 02:57:28 AM

Hi aerobatic,

Most of your above post is completely reasonable.

I disagree that KnC's chip is comparable to HashFast's.  KnC is an FPGA copy; HF's is not (hence the 3X GH/sqmm diff).

You need to explain how my sincere effort to answer VE's pertinent question constitutes "trolling."

If my answer was off-topic, content-free "trolling" why did you produce such voluminous, technically perspicuous responses?

I don't see how mere "trolling" could possibly engender such a wide ranging, thorough hashing (pardon the pun) out of various intricate ASIC production issues.

Why do you need to denigrate me for holding opinions contrary to your own?  Lack of confidence perhaps?  White Knight Syndrome?

I considered being a Cointerra customer/investor, then thought better of it.  Sharing the results of my due diligence isn't "trolling" no matter how much you object.

I'm far from being the only one who pegged them as a whiteboard/Powerpoint driven marketing company, promising great things before those things were actually designed.

Also, by virtue of being a HashFast customer, I can hardly fail to understand that POV!   Tongue

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
DPoS

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 03:36:31 AM

I disagree that KnC's chip is comparable to HashFast's.  KnC is an FPGA copy; HF's is not (hence the 3X GH/sqmm diff).

Hilarious!~

I already mined 55 BTC with those lousy KNC chips...  how many you mine with HashFast's superior chips?  How many will you EVER mine?

derp

~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~Play Boardgames for Bitcoins!!~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~ Something I say help? Donate BTC! 1KN1K1xStzsgfYxdArSX4PEjFfcLEuYhid
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 04:56:20 AM

Hilarious!~

I already mined 55 BTC with those lousy KNC chips...  how many you mine with HashFast's superior chips?  How many will you EVER mine?

derp

ditto Jupiter Oct 18th received order.....now at 1300 bucks over cost of Jupiter at 550gh for $7131.80..not bad for 25 days of mining

no complaints..

the problem with all these ASIC mnfg types is you either are at the head of the line or don't make ROI

I've no idea if/when I'll buy another miner but it will probably be KNC in that they take CC and paypal w/cc so if I have issues with the ASIC mnfg company getting the item out the door and keeping my $$$ (ie we take all the risk as miners) I can call the credit card company and pull the plug...no more BFL games

wish more options but after being screwed by BFL ....not gonna pay up front on the promise of delivery

anyway my 2c worth on all ASIC mnfg ...they are playing it too close to the ROI point or not by barely getting these units out in time or not ....w/o recent price increase of BTC even some KNC units of the 1st batch may have been iffy on getting ROI (sometimes better to be dumb and lucky )

and admittedly w/o the recent BTC increases I could of been screwed from an ROI viewpoint...so yeah something has to change in all this then just tossing out cash to the asic mnfg of choice and crossing fingers..they will get the beast out to you on time and/or not getting trampled by the TH they are tossing out as a whole can be a fun nail biting time

anyway CC or no play is probably a good start if you are thinking of getting a miner .....always best to have an exit strategy if they don't deliver

my 2c worth

Searing

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
TooDumbForBitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 05:04:07 AM

I already mined 55 BTC with those lousy KNC chips...

tipjar >>  1Ki3sF.......

Didn't I see you standing at the red light, holding a sign?

▄▄                                  ▄▄
 ███▄                            ▄███
  ██████                      ██████
   ███████                  ███████
    ███████                ███████
     ███████              ███████
      ███████            ███████
       ███████▄▄      ▄▄███████
        ██████████████████████
         ████████████████████
          ██████████████████
           ████████████████
            ██████████████
             ███████████
              █████████
               ███████
                █████
                 ██
                  █
veil|     PRIVACY    
     WITHOUT COMPROMISE.      
▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
|   NO ICO. NO PREMINE. 
   X16RT GPU Mining. Fair distribution.  
|      The first Zerocoin-based Cryptocurrency      
   WITH ALWAYS-ON PRIVACY.  
|

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄███████
   ████████
   ███▀
   ███
██████████
██████████
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███

▄▄█▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀█▄▄
   ▐██▄▄██████████████▄▄██▌
   ████████████████████████
  ▐████████████████████████▌
  ███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
 ▐██████     ████     ██████▌
 ███████     ████     ███████
▐████████▄▄▄██████▄▄▄████████▌
▐████████████████████████████▌
 █████▄▄▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀▄▄█████
  ▀▀██████          ██████▀▀
      ▀▀▀            ▀▀▀
DPoS

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 05:09:28 AM

I already mined 55 BTC with those lousy KNC chips...

tipjar >>  1Ki3sF.......

Didn't I see you standing at the red light, holding a sign?

Yeah the sign said "Will Work For No One, I'm Rich, Bitch"

~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~Play Boardgames for Bitcoins!!~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~ Something I say help? Donate BTC! 1KN1K1xStzsgfYxdArSX4PEjFfcLEuYhid
bclcjunkie

Activity: 833
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 06:02:21 AM

my guess is those asic manufacturers that mine themselves will make sure not to oversupply so that difficulty won't hurt its themselves and its customers as well...

ditto Jupiter Oct 18th received order.....now at 1300 bucks over cost of Jupiter at 550gh for $7131.80..not bad for 25 days of mining

no complaints..

the problem with all these ASIC mnfg types is you either are at the head of the line or don't make ROI

I've no idea if/when I'll buy another miner but it will probably be KNC in that they take CC and paypal w/cc so if I have issues with the ASIC mnfg company getting the item out the door and keeping my $$$ (ie we take all the risk as miners) I can call the credit card company and pull the plug...no more BFL games

wish more options but after being screwed by BFL ....not gonna pay up front on the promise of delivery

anyway my 2c worth on all ASIC mnfg ...they are playing it too close to the ROI point or not by barely getting these units out in time or not ....w/o recent price increase of BTC even some KNC units of the 1st batch may have been iffy on getting ROI (sometimes better to be dumb and lucky )

and admittedly w/o the recent BTC increases I could of been screwed from an ROI viewpoint...so yeah something has to change in all this then just tossing out cash to the asic mnfg of choice and crossing fingers..they will get the beast out to you on time and/or not getting trampled by the TH they are tossing out as a whole can be a fun nail biting time

anyway CC or no play is probably a good start if you are thinking of getting a miner .....always best to have an exit strategy if they don't deliver

my 2c worth

Searing
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 09:04:38 AM

my guess is those asic manufacturers that mine themselves will make sure not to oversupply so that difficulty won't hurt its themselves and its customers as well...

could be true..KNC says it will mine up to I think no more then 5% of their units sold.....but with how nuts it all is in the asic world...if they go thru with what they say and don't do a new product till march ....that would be in line with that...(unless others continue to ramp up production then they will do the same) But on a side note as a legit business lets say trying to make the next gen ASIC miner...what would you do ...with difficulty flying up ...everyone and his brother gonna pop stuff out from dec thru march...?

imho cointerra's batch 3 unit for 2th at 6k is over priced considering that it is competing against batch 1 and batch 2 increase of bandwith from its own products alone not to mention others...so if I was in kNC's shoes and really did want to make another next gen asic unit in march say...what would you guess to shoot for in TH and price?  so say your guess then is to shoot for a 4th unit at the same price as cointerra cause you are a month behind? would that be enough? this would drive me nuts!

imho KNC would probably from a business sense be much better off just keeping the cash they have made probably what is that about 20 million....?  I mean even if they want to make equip the cost vs risk of guessing this far ahead and getting it out in the timeline needed is daunting imho

on the other hand this article says that KNC made $3 million in just 4 days with BTC rise etc http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2013/11/400-bitcoins/

so anyway ....thats the dilemma  and as an example of forward thinking being wrong I was told by Josh at BFL in chat that no way KNC would get a unit out before Jan 2014 in July....well BFL imho really missed the boat on what they thought difficulty was gonna be with expected 600gh units selling at best in Jan 2014 (not counting the limited bullet run they may get out in dec)..... so they took that bet it looks like and KNC crushed it out in time ..thus imho killing the 600gh monarch card before it got out of the gate....you need a 6 month timeline at best to get something out the door but the price/speed has to work when they hit the street...man that is gonna be rough guessing for the next 1/2 year at least imho

man such guessing on what to put out and if it was technically possible to do so in timeline with difficulty as an asic mnfg would drive me to drink (again assuming they legitimately want to make product that returns ROI for customers to return and make more product ...which is what cointerra and KNC say they wish)

anyway above my pay grade...myself I understand ..amd probably gonna sit this out till march 2014 myself..got a KNC Jupiter 550gh unit (was supposed to be 400gh pleasant surprise) and unit that made ROI in 26days..but even with them shipping my unit on oct 15th on their timeline my ROI on the unit was due more to BTC rise and luck then anything else.......too razor thin on shipping these things out in time ..and when they ship ALL the units in say 3 weeks like KNC did and they all go kerplunk on the network at the same time from the company and a large splash in difficulty ensues..that further compresses the customers available timeline to make ROI at least

whatever will watch from the sidelines..but last point if I do buy from a asic mnfg in the future it will be by credit card so I have the option to 'bail' if they don't follow thru on their timeline ....not going thru bfl hell again...so far that is only KNC ...perhaps cointerra will change its mind again on paypal or cc orders

so it goes will be interesting to watch

Searing

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
cryptx

Activity: 350

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 02:38:58 PM

For those interested:

We are buying Batch 1 (December) and Batch 2 (January) Cointerra pre-orders.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=334606.0

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2013, 05:46:18 PM

Hilarious!~

derp

Yes, your failure to understand the difference between raw performance and underlying technology is hilarious.  Derp!

Who said anything about "lousy?"  Not I; my KnC group buys are mining me plenty of Bitcoins, so don't worry your silly little head about that!  Cheesy

OTOH, the chips in those KnC machines are about 1/3 as efficient as HashFast's on a GH/sqmm basis.  Because KnC chips are FPGA copies.

I know math is hard for you and you don't understand what an "FPGA copy" is, much less why HashFast's chip is more advanced.

Just forget about all the confusing things going on under the hood and focus solely on the output, like a good consumer.  Leave the icky details to us hardware nerds and you'll do fine!

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
aerobatic

Activity: 702

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 06:19:56 PM

Yes, your failure to understand the difference between raw performance and underlying technology is hilarious.  Derp!

Who said anything about "lousy?"  Not I; my KnC group buys are mining me plenty of Bitcoins, so don't worry your silly little head about that!  Cheesy

OTOH, the chips in those KnC machines are about 1/3 as efficient as HashFast's on a GH/sqmm basis.  Because KnC chips are FPGA copies.

I know math is hard for you and you don't understand what an "FPGA copy" is, much less why HashFast's chip is more advanced.

Just forget about all the confusing things going on under the hood and focus solely on the output, like a good consumer.  Leave the icky details to us hardware nerds and you'll do fine!

I'm curious... I've heard people say that the KnC chips are just fpga copies.. but I've not heard it from any legitimate nor direct sources.  Do you have a source for that info?   Its often said by hashfast as one of the FUDs that they spread, but i really haven't seen it directly mentioned anywhere.

And anyway, if they've got them running at less than 1 Watt per GH, at the wall.. thats pretty acceptable to me.  Its not as low power as hf or ct, but then, they're nit shipping yet... so the difference is moot.
Pinwheel

Activity: 378

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 07:07:13 PM

what is making me curious, who were all those people who purchased first CoinTerras 16000 usd per 2trhs. If those 16K invested in btc, back then it is now usd 66000. That way I can order now 11 CoinTerras 2trhs with delivery at February for same amount of bitcoins. Seems like 22 trhs is better then 2trhs. Maybe waiting make even more sense now too? I will buy Cointera's miners at some point, almost certain about it, but question is when, not sure about that.

Tom Waits: We should just start as soon as possible cause we might catch a rabbit before we have our pants on. (Juxtapoz)
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2013, 07:33:53 PM

I'm curious... I've heard people say that the KnC chips are just fpga copies.. but I've not heard it from any legitimate nor direct sources.  Do you have a source for that info?   Its often said by hashfast as one of the FUDs that they spread, but i really haven't seen it directly mentioned anywhere.

And anyway, if they've got them running at less than 1 Watt per GH, at the wall.. thats pretty acceptable to me.  Its not as low power as hf or ct, but then, they're nit shipping yet... so the difference is moot.

I don't have a source for that.  KnC may be standard cell, but getting the same efficiency at 28nm as Bitfury got at 55nm could be responsible for the popular 'FPGA copy' assumption.

Anyway, this is a Cointerra thread so let's get back to speculating about the reasons for their failed tape-out and (possibly related) decision to hire new people for their next chip.   Cool

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
DPoS

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 09:03:39 PM

You brought math up in your defense??  Let's see how well that works out for you.

KNC 1Th example using about 1W/Gh (rough numbers to prove the point)

Oct Output:  50 BTC (use a low $300 per BTC) for $15,000, less the $150 power costs.  (1% of revenue)
Nov Output:  30 BTC for $9,000 less the $150 power costs  (1.7%)
Dec Output:  15 BTC for $4,500 less the $150 power costs  (3.3%)

So if you got your wonderful 1/3 less power costs in October you save $100 per Th. which is less than 1% for that month

But of course you didn't..If you got your wonderful HF miner in Nov you save $100 per Th per month but down $15,000 for being late to the party (over 12 years to make up difference @ $100 month savings)

If you got your wonderful HF miner in Dec you save $100 each month but down $26,000 for being late (over 21 years to recoup)

If you got your imaginary HF miner in Jan you save $100 each month but down $30,500 for being a derp (over 25 years....)

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2013, 09:12:12 PM

If you got your imaginary HF miner in Jan you save $100 each month but down $30,500 for being a derp (over 25 years....)

I'm not getting my currently-under-construction HF miner, which is based on chips that have been delivered to San Jose, "in Jan."

If HF doesn't deliver by Dec 31, I get a refund.

HashFast gets 300% more hashing power per 28nm wafer than KnC.  That gives them great flexibility WRT MPP and delay compensation.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
fractal02

Activity: 504

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 09:15:42 PM

HashFast gets 300% more hashing power per 28nm wafer than KnC.  That gives them great flexibility WRT MPP and delay compensation.

For the moment HashFast have 0% more hashing power than KNC.
No miner = no hash power
End of line.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2013, 09:36:55 PM

HashFast gets 300% more hashing power per 28nm wafer than KnC.  That gives them great flexibility WRT MPP and delay compensation.

For the moment HashFast have 0% more hashing power than KNC.
No miner = no hash power
End of line.

Sorry, I'll use the future tense next time for the sake of you easily confused types.

This moment won't last forever.  Some of like to look down the road, instead of staring at rear-view mirror.

End of line?  Hardly.   Roll Eyes

The ASIC wars have barely begun!   Cool

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Micky25
Legendary

Activity: 974
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 09:38:43 PM

I'm not getting my currently-under-construction HF miner, which is based on chips that have been delivered to San Jose, "in Jan."

If HF doesn't deliver by Dec 31, I get a refund.

My dear iCEBREAKER,

I am proud to announce that inside this box, I hold your long awaited mining-unit.

Sadly, it has been run over by a truck and now is broken beyond repair (see left side). But don't fear, our MPP (Miner Protection Plan, aka MyPePe) will save you from any further chagrin, and we will REFUND you the original price you paid for this unit 4 times, which equates to $10 at the current $/BTC exchange rate.)

Thank you for your business and please come back every time,
Yours sincerely,
Eduardo Castrato

P.S.: About this refund thing, you obviously got something wrong, these where custom made stuff, additionally, money ran out, sorry.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2013, 09:44:01 PM

Posting a picture of HashFast's CEO holding a box of their finished wafers in poor lagging Cointerra's thread is just plain mean.

Have you no pity for Cointerra's ASIC design team, even as they are being replaced with more competent engineers?   Undecided

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 ... 124 »
  Print  

Jump to: