Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 11:38:07 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ... 69 »
  Print  
Author Topic: HashFast launches sales of the Baby Jet  (Read 119560 times)
CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 07:48:21 AM

The extra capacity will be chips only, to be used with a HashFast or third party chassis.

I'm not harping the "buyer protection plan" (it is a lot more than any other company has done, so I applaud HashFast for this), but make sure you guys read the fine print.

You will need to pay for the chips to be assembled into actual mining equipment (which is probably why they can afford to do this).
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 07:54:04 AM

The extra capacity will be chips only, to be used with a HashFast or third party chassis.

I'm not harping the "buyer protection plan" (it is a lot more than any other company has done, so I applaud HashFast for this), but make sure you guys read the fine print.

You will need to pay for the chips to be assembled into actual mining equipment (which is probably why they can afford to do this).

Yes, this is true but the hardware specs will be open sourced from the get go which should spawn a new generation of Babyjet clones into which these high performance, high efficiency chips can be inserted.
Ytterbium

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2013, 08:14:02 AM

That's the thing.

Even if they try to do the same thing, their  chip production costs should be significantly higher.

How would you know?

papamoi

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 08:26:18 AM

i didn t really read the fine print

there will still be costs for the buyer as he ll need to make an pcb and make it assembled so that s not really a buyer protection if he needs still to spend to get it done

u ll need to improve this guys if you want to do things seriously
rammy2k2
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 08:46:36 AM

i'm curious if people are still stupid enough to make pre-orders after BFL and AVALON stories  Roll Eyes I myself, refuse to make anymore pre-orders.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 08:49:32 AM

Don't forget you can still order immediately at 800.609.3445 or email sales@hashfast.com.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 08:54:21 AM

there will still be costs for the buyer as he ll need to make an pcb and make it assembled so that s not really a buyer protection if he needs still to spend to get it done

Like I said above, the hardware will be open sourced. There will be clones built for the chips inexpensively. In fact, an entire industry could be built around this concept.

And the chips won't have to scale the Great Wall.  Wink
papamoi

Activity: 378

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 09:04:11 AM
Last edit: August 13, 2013, 09:39:16 AM by papamoi

Like I said above, the hardware will be open sourced. There will be clones built for the chips inexpensively. In fact, an entire industry could be built around this concept.

And the chips won't have to scale the Great Wall.  Wink

u have convinced me

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY

lol

seriously speaking you need to have a more mature/finished proposal than this one

zedicus
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2013, 09:16:12 AM

How much is this assembly fee you speak of?

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
AussieHash

Activity: 692
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 09:24:15 AM
Last edit: August 13, 2013, 10:37:33 AM by AussieHash

How much is this assembly fee you speak of?

What we really need to know then is will HF be releasing an open source motherboard design and are there any suppliers lined up to produce PCBs with these chips. PCB builders will only be interested if HF are selling reels of chips. Assuming the baby miner has 1 GF chip, and we are supplied with 1 chip after 90 days, it will not be useful. Also of note this GN chip requires liquid cooling so basically home made / rasberry boards are not going to happen.

Addendum >> on further review, this is actually quite a generous offer.  In context, a reel of 3000 bitfury chips for October delivery is US$57,750 or EU$45,000.  You would need 256 chips for 400GH = US$4,928.
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:xkLUp-B7TgoJ:https://megabigpower.com/shop/index.php%3Froute%3Dproduct/product%26product_id%3D52+&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=au&client=safari
http://www.bitfurystrikesback.com/product/bitfury-55nm-asic-by-reel/

Hence 1-3 x 400GH hashfast "GN" chips for free is generous (HF will generate many more GH/wafer than bitfury)
The only question is how much will HF charge us to attach them to a chassis !

+1 will you offer hosting ?
RoadStress
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 09:35:19 AM

Let's see what users will do with only the chips...

klee
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 09:38:32 AM

These guys certainly try to be the leader. Shipping is prohibitive for buying one (I live in EU). There is always IceDrill as a lower cost alternative...

Maybe someone provides hosting with these?

Cypherdoc if I order one can you provide hosting? Fee negotiable..
crumbs

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 11:09:39 AM
Last edit: August 13, 2013, 12:34:13 PM by crumbs

Hating to break into the talk about how babies are made Smiley...

Still - here is Miner Protection Program:

Along with everyone else, we too have been closely watching the growth of the network Hashrate.

It is of concern to all miners,  particularly to those looking to pre-purchase equipment.  The more time there is between purchase and delivery, the greater the risk that the Hashrate will climb to a point where the miner will never make their money back.

That is the reason behind our Miner Protection Program, and the guarantee we provide is:

If any of our pre-purchase customers has not achieved payback on their investment in HashFast equipment within 90 days* of taking delivery from us, we will support them by providing them with up to 4X the Hashing capacity they originally purchased, free of charge.

The details:

We will give you double the extra capacity you would have needed to break even (up to a maximum of 4x your original purchase). The extra capacity will be chips only, to be used with a HashFast or third party chassis.

*Assuming you have been running your mining rig 24/7, ROI calculated from the daily difficulty level, block arrival rate, and hash rate of equipment delivered.

Eduardo deCastro
Founder and CEO, Hashfast

Sounds like an excellent deal. Let me see if i understand it correctly:

1.  You guarantee that the chips will be within the announced specs (<1W/Gh, >400Gh/s), or money back in on Jan 1, 2014?
    1a.  Will it still make sense for me to build support circuitry & mine with it four months into next year?
           (using your refund date of Jan.1, 2014 as the start date, +90 days to determine no-break-even, +30 days shipping,
           shipping to board assembler, assembly, more shipping, etc. bringing us to April 1, 2014)?

2.  What percentage of the $5,600 price is the *price* of the chip?  
     2a.   Will i be able to buy blank boards from you?  
     2b.   If not, will your gerber files etc. be royalty-free & available?  At what date? (i'd like to have the boards on hand when the daffodils bloom)

3.  If, after mining for another 90 days, i still don't get ROI, will i be able to get *2* more chips, rinse & repeat?

4.  Are you giggling now, since these are the very wrong questions to ask?  (the right one being "should i have been less curt with the Nigerian prince?")
Flying Hellfish
Legendary

Merit: 1756

Verified Bernie Bro - Feel The Bern!

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 12:30:22 PM

Hating to break into the talk about how babies are made Smiley...

Still - here is Miner Protection Program:

Along with everyone else, we too have been closely watching the growth of the network Hashrate.

It is of concern to all miners,  particularly to those looking to pre-purchase equipment.  The more time there is between purchase and delivery, the greater the risk that the Hashrate will climb to a point where the miner will never make their money back.

That is the reason behind our Miner Protection Program, and the guarantee we provide is:

If any of our pre-purchase customers has not achieved payback on their investment in HashFast equipment within 90 days* of taking delivery from us, we will support them by providing them with up to 4X the Hashing capacity they originally purchased, free of charge.

The details:

We will give you double the extra capacity you would have needed to break even (up to a maximum of 4x your original purchase). The extra capacity will be chips only, to be used with a HashFast or third party chassis.

*Assuming you have been running your mining rig 24/7, ROI calculated from the daily difficulty level, block arrival rate, and hash rate of equipment delivered.

Eduardo deCastro
Founder and CEO, Hashfast

Can you explain how you calculate and what "payback of your investment" means?  Is payback meant to mean "break even" point?  Is the break even point (if that's what you mean) calculated in BTC or USD?

Your terms appear to be hastily put together with a lot of ambiguity, leaving you guys many options to "word speak" your way out of it.
pmorici

Activity: 479

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 12:44:55 PM

Yes, this is true but the hardware specs will be open sourced from the get go which should spawn a new generation of Babyjet clones into which these high performance, high efficiency chips can be inserted.

@cypherdoc, what makes you think the hardware 'specs' will be open sourced?
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 12:48:15 PM

@cypherdoc, what makes you think the hardware 'specs' will be open sourced?

Because when I first heard of this program that's the first question that popped into my head as a miner like yourself.

They've personally told me this is the case.
rograz

Activity: 575

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 01:12:54 PM

i think you're going to be surprised.

And some/most/all gains by going big will be lost due to lower yields/lower clock potential is my completely uneducated guess. If everything works out from the start and yields are where they are supposed to be on the first run of chips I can see it paying off, my impression of the tech industry however from the last few generations is that the amount of problems and delays seems to increase exponentially with your chip size :p
jspielberg

Activity: 490
Merit: 255

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 01:33:04 PM

i think you're going to be surprised.

And some/most/all gains by going big will be lost due to lower yields/lower clock potential is my completely uneducated guess. If everything works out from the start and yields are where they are supposed to be on the first run of chips I can see it paying off, my impression of the tech industry however from the last few generations is that the amount of problems and delays seems to increase exponentially with your chip size :p

I think the biggest thing going for them regarding chip size is that I imagine it isn't as complex as a CPU.  They don't need to support a full instruction set.  They just need to duplicate the hashing core a couple of 1000 times and if 10% of them don't work... not a big deal.  If the MOV or DIV on a CPU doesn't work... it is a big deal.
rograz

Activity: 575

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 03:33:37 PM

I think the biggest thing going for them regarding chip size is that I imagine it isn't as complex as a CPU.  They don't need to support a full instruction set.  They just need to duplicate the hashing core a couple of 1000 times and if 10% of them don't work... not a big deal.  If the MOV or DIV on a CPU doesn't work... it is a big deal.

Still the issue of heat density and clock potential, usually these 2 factors alone means that smaller chips outperform bigger chips in terms of performance/mm2. Then again most of my knowledge from this area comes from the GPU/CPU industry so it might be as you say that size is not an issue in this case.
jspielberg

Activity: 490
Merit: 255

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 06:28:56 PM

Then again most of my knowledge from this area comes from the GPU/CPU industry so it might be as you say that size is not an issue in this case.

Hopefully someone with asic design skills could contribute... I can barely spell GPU.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ... 69 »
  Print  

Jump to: