Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 05:13:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do we want to continue to allow various vendor hate in here?  (Read 17308 times)
Rival

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 03:26:39 PM

One sad component of haters and baiters is the self-righteousness. They see themselves as some sort of holy warriors protecting the great unwashed from evil-doers. As if they are doing any service for anyone but themselves. The real joke is that filling page after page and thread after thread with regurgitated, gibbering bile makes them look like raving lunatics. They are not saving anyone. They are not helping anyone. The only opinion anyone has about their posts is that it is useless, innane clutter and that these forums would be better without it. The imagined power that comes with claiming that "90% of people agree with what I am posting" must surely be intoxicating, but in reality, no one cares. It isn't real.

There is no one who needs their brand of "saving", there are no crusades to win other than imagined ones, and their hate makes them a loser by default.

There are certainly plenty of issues with both asics related to manufacturing and delivery. But nothing they say or do is going to affect it one way or the other, nor will it likely affect anyone else's choices. They are powerless, and at some level they know this, and that only fuels their hate. Being irrelevant really pisses some people off, and makes them even louder.

I wish I could reach out to each and every one of them and cure them. Unfortunately, I think only the passage of time can do that. Eventually every vendor will either deliver or go belly up. Then what will they have left?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
k9quaint
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 03:42:47 PM

One sad component of haters and baiters is the self-righteousness. They see themselves as some sort of holy warriors protecting the great unwashed from evil-doers. As if they are doing any service for anyone but themselves. The real joke is that filling page after page and thread after thread with regurgitated, gibbering bile makes them look like raving lunatics. They are not saving anyone. They are not helping anyone. The only opinion anyone has about their posts is that it is useless, innane clutter and that these forums would be better without it. The imagined power that comes with claiming that "90% of people agree with what I am posting" must surely be intoxicating, but in reality, no one cares. It isn't real.

There is no one who needs their brand of "saving", there are no crusades to win other than imagined ones, and their hate makes them a loser by default.

There are certainly plenty of issues with both asics related to manufacturing and delivery. But nothing they say or do is going to affect it one way or the other, nor will it likely affect anyone else's choices. They are powerless, and at some level they know this, and that only fuels their hate. Being irrelevant really pisses some people off, and makes them even louder.

I wish I could reach out to each and every one of them and cure them. Unfortunately, I think only the passage of time can do that. Eventually every vendor will either deliver or go belly up. Then what will they have left?

The obvious counter-example to your claims is the PSA:

If you have ordered from ButterFly Labs and have not yet received your product, you are entitled to a refund whenever you request one (per FTC rules).
First ask ButterFly Labs for a refund, they will probably say no but you might get lucky.
If you ordered via PayPal you can file a complaint with them even if you are outside the 45 day window. Multiple customers have already gotten a refund from PayPal that was outside the 45 days.
If you ordered via Bitcoin or Bank wire, you can fill out a complaint with the FTC at  http://www.ftc.gov/complaint and they will advocate for you with ButterFly Labs to get your refund. You can also contact the office of the Kansas Attorney General and inform them that you have had your money taken with no product delivered for months, just more promises.
You can also do a paper filing with the DA here: http://da.jocogov.org/complaint-forms

There are also several threads on how to get a refund from ButterFly Labs, here are two:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=266945.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=272585.0

This message has grown over time and helped a few people get refunds from BFL (who at first refused to provide them). Customers are entitled to a refund until they are shipped a product (thus creating a 'sale'), many were unaware of this. This is real.

Maybe you were not around earlier (it would explain a lot) but the "vendor haters" were in the minority before April. There was a lot of euphoria going around and back then "the 90%" had a different take on things.

There is irony here as well. It is your post that is actually an example of the bad behavior. It contains only disdain and insults for those that disagree with you. Other people can speculate as to why you are so bitter in other threads.

Bitcoin is backed by the full faith and credit of YouTube comments.
Rival

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 03:56:09 PM

The obvious counter-example to your claims is the PSA:

If you have ordered from ButterFly Labs and have not yet received your product, you are entitled to a refund whenever you request one (per FTC rules).
First ask ButterFly Labs for a refund, they will probably say no but you might get lucky.
If you ordered via PayPal you can file a complaint with them even if you are outside the 45 day window. Multiple customers have already gotten a refund from PayPal that was outside the 45 days.
If you ordered via Bitcoin or Bank wire, you can fill out a complaint with the FTC at  http://www.ftc.gov/complaint and they will advocate for you with ButterFly Labs to get your refund. You can also contact the office of the Kansas Attorney General and inform them that you have had your money taken with no product delivered for months, just more promises.
You can also do a paper filing with the DA here: http://da.jocogov.org/complaint-forms

There are also several threads on how to get a refund from ButterFly Labs, here are two:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=266945.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=272585.0

This message has grown over time and helped a few people get refunds from BFL (who at first refused to provide them). Customers are entitled to a refund until they are shipped a product (thus creating a 'sale'), many were unaware of this. This is real.

Maybe you were not around earlier (it would explain a lot) but the "vendor haters" were in the minority before April. There was a lot of euphoria going around and back then "the 90%" had a different take on things.

There is irony here as well. It is your post that is actually an example of the bad behavior. It contains only disdain and insults for those that disagree with you. Other people can speculate as to why you are so bitter in other threads.

I fail to see hate or baiting in the message you quoted. That message certainly is a good contribution and is mostly just neutral in tone. I do not feel disdain for the haters, just pity. Their opinions are not the issue. Their actions are.

Threader

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 04:06:48 PM

I support Bitcointalk.org upholding first amendment right to free speech but also respectfully following  Bitcointalk.org's posting guidelines.

With that said, if you find the thread of interest but dislike a posters posts feel free to ignore poster(s).

If the thread is not of interest move on through the forum and find a thread that is of interest to you.

Don't tread on me!
tempestb

Activity: 729
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 06:05:47 PM

Do what most other forums do.  Contain it to one thread.  When a poster makes post after post that follow closely the same line of conversation of another thread.  Close it and have the last response point to the other thread that is already covering that topic.

Moderators need to use their opinion as to whether the subject deserves a new topic or not.  But in this way, you are not removing what anyone is saying, you are simply consolidating where the conversation is happening into the proper thread. 

1D7JwRnoungL1YQy7sJMsqmA8BHkPcKGDJ
We mine as we dream...  Alone
Ytterbium

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2013, 11:20:43 PM

As long as the 'ignore' button works I don't see what the problem is.

Ytterbium

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2013, 11:22:13 PM

Do what most other forums do.  Contain it to one thread.  When a poster makes post after post that follow closely the same line of conversation of another thread.  Close it and have the last response point to the other thread that is already covering that topic.

Moderators need to use their opinion as to whether the subject deserves a new topic or not.  But in this way, you are not removing what anyone is saying, you are simply consolidating where the conversation is happening into the proper thread. 

I agree, we don't need frothing BFL hate in a KnC thread, for example.

ProfMac
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 11:24:51 PM

The problem is that I can't present bitcoin to my friends or students as something sane people would have anything to do with while there is this level of incivility in the forums.
On the whole, these postings make us all look like kooks & hotheads.  If we manage to make bitcoin lose it's value by acting stupid, any damage we may think that a vendor has done simply does not matter.

I try to be respectful and informed.
Ytterbium

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2013, 11:35:52 PM

The problem is that I can't present bitcoin to my friends or students as something sane people would have anything to do with while there is this level of incivility in the forums.

Your friends and students shouldn't be buying ASIC mining hardware, if they don't have a deep understanding of how everything works in order to evaluate their prospects. They should be scared of buying hardware.

kano
Legendary

Activity: 4480
Merit: 1800

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 12:05:19 AM

On the whole, these postings make us all look like kooks & hotheads.  If we manage to make bitcoin lose it's value by acting stupid, any damage we may think that a vendor has done simply does not matter.

Don't forget the fact that silk road is the big starting point for Bitcoin popularity and a big reason why Bitcoin has succeeded.

You'll certainly not want them to know that either ... keep them away from Bitcoin Smiley

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 12:09:13 AM

Face facts: this is a modern day gold rush, and this sub-forum especially must reflect exactly the state of the fever until that's over. The supreme irony is that this thread has brought out the full cast of goblins and sky-spirits, if anything only to somehow help prove that they're genuine. It's a lesson in life, make of the circus what you will, but it cannot be controlled, tamed, reasoned with or made sensible. It is not possible.

Sad, but we are animals, the best we can do is a sincere attempt to be rational. And attempted exploitation of animal instincts will continue while we are all still biological.

And so the only genuine solution is trans-humanism  Cheesy Who's first on the operating slab?  Grin

Vires in numeris
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1065

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 01:14:00 AM

Why only "look like kooks & hotheads"? We are kooks & hotheads, this is what makes the Bitcoin millieu such an interesting subject for psychology, sociology, antropology and other humanities.

Who gave you a certificate that you are neither a kook nor a hothead? What was the testing protocol?

Please comment, critique, criticize or ridicule BIP 2112: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54382.0
Long-term mining prognosis: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91101.0
ProfMac
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 01:30:21 AM

Why only "look like kooks & hotheads"? We are kooks & hotheads, this is what makes the Bitcoin millieu such an interesting subject for psychology, sociology, antropology and other humanities.

Who gave you a certificate that you are neither a kook nor a hothead? What was the testing protocol?

Anyway, who said I passed?

I try to be respectful and informed.
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1065

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 02:19:45 AM

Finally I see some a hint of some real introspection from you. Maybe this picture will help you to reflect some more.

Unlike the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chilkoot_Pass mining of Bitcoin isn't going to actually kill anyone. The effect on their personal finances will be similar, but they are very likely to survive the adventure and maybe even get motivated to learn & understand the things like "international trade finance" and "P&L analysis".

Please comment, critique, criticize or ridicule BIP 2112: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54382.0
Long-term mining prognosis: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91101.0
m3sSh3aD

Activity: 322

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 07:29:13 AM

Finally I see some a hint of some real introspection from you. Maybe this picture will help you to reflect some more.

Unlike the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chilkoot_Pass mining of Bitcoin isn't going to actually kill anyone. The effect on their personal finances will be similar, but they are very likely to survive the adventure and maybe even get motivated to learn & understand the things like "international trade finance" and "P&L analysis".

Bit coin mining AS killed people. One that springs to mind is the dude that was sleeping in his mining room and died through heat exhaustion. So I'm sorry to say your wrong. Bit coin mining AS killed! :-)
Biomech
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1022

Anarchy is not chaos.

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 02:10:00 PM

Face facts: this is a modern day gold rush, and this sub-forum especially must reflect exactly the state of the fever until that's over. The supreme irony is that this thread has brought out the full cast of goblins and sky-spirits, if anything only to somehow help prove that they're genuine. It's a lesson in life, make of the circus what you will, but it cannot be controlled, tamed, reasoned with or made sensible. It is not possible.

Sad, but we are animals, the best we can do is a sincere attempt to be rational. And attempted exploitation of animal instincts will continue while we are all still biological.

And so the only genuine solution is trans-humanism  Cheesy Who's first on the operating slab?  Grin

Not me, but I'm certainly down with the finished product!
m3sSh3aD

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 05:09:09 PM

Seriously dude! Stop supporting the elite and realise the truth! WE'RE ALL BEEN LIED TO ABOUT EVERYTHING!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zc0ICPoqlM
Ytterbium

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2013, 05:30:08 PM

Bit coin mining AS killed people. One that springs to mind is the dude that was sleeping in his mining room and died through heat exhaustion. So I'm sorry to say your wrong. Bit coin mining AS killed! :-)

Impressive that he was able to post on a forum after he died.

m3sSh3aD

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 05:43:38 PM

Impressive that he was able to post on a forum after he died.

I've looked for the article but Google is so fixed that it just wants to show bitcoin is dieing! No surprises there! Of cause he didnt report his own death though, How does your brain work to even suggest such a thing!!!
k9quaint
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 06:36:22 PM

[ANN] Tin foil group buy!

0.2 BTC per roll.

Bitcoin is backed by the full faith and credit of YouTube comments.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: