Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 11:19:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Merit System Upgrade  (Read 34952 times)
aleksej996

Activity: 490
Merit: 389

Do not trust the government

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 07:53:36 PM

Decentralization comes is a natural benefit to the design of the system. As you pointed out decentralization isn’t required for bitcoin to work. Mining is highly centralized right now. Satoshi was looking for a way to remove the need for a trusted third-party to be involved in financial transactions online.  We are currently steering away from that system and I don’t know why everyone is allowing it to happen. Maybe it’s because they just don’t realize what Satoshi was trying to accomplish or they don’t see any other way to make bitcoin successful.

Congrats aleksej996, 20 merit points awarded

Thanks! Cheesy
This was fun. Never got my knowledge about Bitcoin tested before.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Darthswan

Activity: 818
Merit: 508

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 08:08:18 PM

No, it’s just that simple. To buy something online you need a way to pay them, right? Before bitcoin you had to involve a bank of some kind (wire transfer, debit card, MasterCard, Visa, etc.). The only method available to keep a bank out of it was to mail cash to someone in an envelope. That is way too slow, inefficient and risky. Bitcoin lets you send money to people around the world without involving a bank. You can debate the reasons or lack of reasons for having a bank out of the picture all day long but you can’t debate that Satoshi wanted to keep third parties out of the financial transactions between individuals.

What you say is right, but you do not fully understand Satoshi's riddle.
He endowed the Internet community emissions money. Here lies the secret.

I now wanted to ask you why Satoshi remained anonymous?
Just inventing a payment system cryptographic evidence instead of trust, you can go down in history, but he chose anonymity. Why?

▄▄████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████▄▄
      ███████████████████████▄▄
      ▀▀█████████████████████████
██▄▄       ▀▀█████████████████████
██████▄▄        ▀█████████████████
███████████▄▄       ▀▀████████████
███████████████▄▄        ▀████████
████████████████████▄▄       ▀▀███
 ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
     ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
▄▄        ▀██████████████████████▄
████▄▄        ▀▀██████████████████
█████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████████
█████████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████
██████████████████▄▄        ▀▀████
▀██████████████████████▄▄
  ▀▀████████████████████████
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
           ▀▀███████▀▀

.SEMUX
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
  Semux uses .100% original codebase.
  Superfast with .30 seconds instant finality.
  Tested .5000 tx per block. on open network
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
RejectedBanana

Activity: 406
Merit: 551

I am a banana.

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 08:37:56 PM
Merited by QuestionAuthority (20), KWH (5), The Sceptical Chymist (3)

I wouldn't mind a little extra merit recognition.

I make charts on Bitcoin doubling floors.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=178336.msg29049416#msg29049416
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=178336.msg29057313#msg29057313
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2203360.0;all

I also hate BCH and all that it stands for. Not a fan of ETH either.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=178336.msg26763396#msg26763396
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=178336.msg26636191#msg26636191
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2814091.msg28962531#msg28962531

I'm also anti-FUD optimist
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=178336.msg27110091#msg27110091
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=178336.msg26009090#msg26009090

I share learnings from the tax-man
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=178336.msg27110737#msg27110737
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=178336.msg23949403#msg23949403
QuestionAuthority (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 08:44:06 PM

No, it’s just that simple. To buy something online you need a way to pay them, right? Before bitcoin you had to involve a bank of some kind (wire transfer, debit card, MasterCard, Visa, etc.). The only method available to keep a bank out of it was to mail cash to someone in an envelope. That is way too slow, inefficient and risky. Bitcoin lets you send money to people around the world without involving a bank. You can debate the reasons or lack of reasons for having a bank out of the picture all day long but you can’t debate that Satoshi wanted to keep third parties out of the financial transactions between individuals.

What you say is right, but you do not fully understand Satoshi's riddle.
He endowed the Internet community emissions money. Here lies the secret.

I now wanted to ask you why Satoshi remained anonymous?
Just inventing a payment system cryptographic evidence instead of trust, you can go down in history, but he chose anonymity. Why?

I really can’t debate that with you here. It’s straying too far off topic and away from the reason for this thread.

QuestionAuthority (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 08:53:55 PM

I can’t see how anyone could believe you're not participating here. You do love those speculation threads. LOL I used to like speculation too (until I lost a bunch of coin).

Awarded 20 merit.

QuestionAuthority (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 09:00:53 PM

Decentralization comes is a natural benefit to the design of the system. As you pointed out decentralization isn’t required for bitcoin to work. Mining is highly centralized right now. Satoshi was looking for a way to remove the need for a trusted third-party to be involved in financial transactions online.  We are currently steering away from that system and I don’t know why everyone is allowing it to happen. Maybe it’s because they just don’t realize what Satoshi was trying to accomplish or they don’t see any other way to make bitcoin successful.

Congrats aleksej996, 20 merit points awarded

Thanks! Cheesy
This was fun. Never got my knowledge about Bitcoin tested before.

Glad you enjoyed it. Fun is a big reason to be here too.  Wink

Mrnat

Activity: 151
Merit: 101

Believe in Yourself, Do Magic, Be the Magic!

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2018, 10:08:19 PM

I would like to be tested QA, anytime you would have time for that definitely,
PS: Does not make a big difference for me now raising in rank or not, better let action speak by themselves.
I´m here for the long term and want to test my actual understanding
Trow me any question..
Thanks for your time Wink

▌▌   Anonymous and Untraceable     ›› ››   DeepOnion  ‹‹ ‹‹     TOR INTEGRATED & SECURED    ▌▌
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬     ANN  Whitepaper  FACEBOOK  Twitter  Youtube  Forum     ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
▌▌   ••  JOIN AIRDROP 🚀  ••  |||   Download DeepOnion   |||   ✅ Verified with DeepVault    ▌▌
QuestionAuthority (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 11:15:01 PM

PS: Does not make a big difference for me now raising in rank or not, better let action speak by themselves.
Trow me any question..

Let’s start with this: Lead me to some of your older posts that you feel good about, when you realized you liked bitcoin and you want to be here because you want to know more. Paste links in the thread.

wwzsocki
Legendary

Activity: 2744
Merit: 1708

First 100% Liquid Stablecoin Backed by Gold

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2018, 02:44:51 AM

Awarded 20 merit points to your post. Remember when you pass this on, don’t just give it to people you agree with, give it to people that can add something to the conversation, right or wrong. People learn more from being wrong than they do from being right.

Thanks. Indeed we wouldn't need a forum if we all agreed about everything. In that spirit, I passed the 10 sMerit on to the person I spend the most time arguing with. He would have been ranked up to Sr. Member next week and is definitely worthy of the title.

You are quite the class act (I was the person, who received the 10 merits from TheQuin)!
I´m also happy that we all agree that a forum particularly benefits from discussing conflicting viewpoints.

Instead of spending the 5 new sMerit that I now have due to your generosity for various good
posts, I´d like to dedicate them to the same purpose.

If anyone of you fulfills the following three requirements, I´ll give 5 merit to one of your constructive posts:
1. You were close to ranking up before the introduction of the merit system (1-2 activity periods away from a new rank)
2. You are an asset to the community that makes good and constructive posts regularly
3. You don´t exclusively post in the Altcoin subforums and care about Bitcoin

I am a match to point 1 and 2. Please check my account and judge by yourself if I am eligible to apply for merits. Not sure if I fulfill requirements stated in point 3.

QuestionAuthority (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 02:56:39 AM

Awarded 20 merit points to your post. Remember when you pass this on, don’t just give it to people you agree with, give it to people that can add something to the conversation, right or wrong. People learn more from being wrong than they do from being right.

Thanks. Indeed we wouldn't need a forum if we all agreed about everything. In that spirit, I passed the 10 sMerit on to the person I spend the most time arguing with. He would have been ranked up to Sr. Member next week and is definitely worthy of the title.

You are quite the class act (I was the person, who received the 10 merits from TheQuin)!
I´m also happy that we all agree that a forum particularly benefits from discussing conflicting viewpoints.

Instead of spending the 5 new sMerit that I now have due to your generosity for various good

If anyone of you fulfills the following three requirements, I´ll give 5 merit to one of your constructive posts:
1. You were close to ranking up before the introduction of the merit system (1-2 activity periods away from a new rank)
2. You are an asset to the community that makes good and constructive posts regularly

I am a match to point 1 and 2. Please check my account and judge by yourself if I am eligible to apply for merits. Not sure if I fulfill requirements stated in point 3.

I checked your post history and your an altcoin person. I’m not handling that. There’s a guy in that section that is awarding merit for altcoin supporters.

The thread is here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2833111.msg29044855#msg29044855

wwzsocki
Legendary

Activity: 2744
Merit: 1708

First 100% Liquid Stablecoin Backed by Gold

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2018, 03:04:25 AM

I checked your post history and your an altcoin person. I’m not handling that. There’s a guy in that section that is awarding merit for altcoin supporters.

The thread is here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2833111.msg29044855#msg29044855

Thanks for check and tip.

AnotherBTCNoob

Activity: 318
Merit: 108

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 03:33:47 AM

QuestionAuthority, nice touch with your offer. I see some excellent posts across the forum that are helpful, informative and these are people who genuinely contribute to the forum. I also see far far more junk spewed out by people who haven't a clue what they are talking about and clearly post just to drive up their numbers. The merit system is potentially a good idea but I can now see active members contributing to the forum in a productive manner but simply not moving up the levels in a way that could be argued they deserve.
QuestionAuthority (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 04:41:48 AM

QuestionAuthority, nice touch with your offer. I see some excellent posts across the forum that are helpful, informative and these are people who genuinely contribute to the forum. I also see far far more junk spewed out by people who haven't a clue what they are talking about and clearly post just to drive up their numbers. The merit system is potentially a good idea but I can now see active members contributing to the forum in a productive manner but simply not moving up the levels in a way that could be argued they deserve.

That’s true, I see more junk posts than good ones. I’m finding it difficult to locate posts to give merit to.

Mrnat

Activity: 151
Merit: 101

Believe in Yourself, Do Magic, Be the Magic!

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2018, 09:38:51 AM

Trow me any question..

Let’s start with this: Lead me to some of your older posts that you feel good about, when you realized you liked bitcoin and you want to be here because you want to know more. Paste links in the thread.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2147699.msg21501337#msg21501337

▌▌   Anonymous and Untraceable     ›› ››   DeepOnion  ‹‹ ‹‹     TOR INTEGRATED & SECURED    ▌▌
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬     ANN  Whitepaper  FACEBOOK  Twitter  Youtube  Forum     ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
▌▌   ••  JOIN AIRDROP 🚀  ••  |||   Download DeepOnion   |||   ✅ Verified with DeepVault    ▌▌
KWH
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1045

In Collateral I Trust.

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 12:50:39 PM

That’s true, I see more junk posts than good ones. I’m finding it difficult to locate posts to give merit to.

Same here. I am even looking through other members threads similar to yours and finding a few good posts but nowhere the amount I hoped for. It's almost a full time job without the pay.
I wonder if this is an indicator of just how bad the general crap post quality is?

When the subject of buying BTC with Paypal comes up, I often remember this: 

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Albert Einstein
QuestionAuthority (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 02:39:48 PM

Same here. I am even looking through other members threads similar to yours and finding a few good posts but nowhere the amount I hoped for. It's almost a full time job without the pay.
I wonder if this is an indicator of just how bad the general crap post quality is?

Yeah, I think it’s an indicator of the depths the forum has sunk into. I knew the post quality was no where near what it used to be but I had no idea it was this bad. I’ve been searching around looking for those threads where debating leads to something special clicking, like used to be the norm, and I can’t find one. I looked around yesterday for nearly 5 hours and found nothing worthwhile under two years old. It’s really very sad.

QuestionAuthority (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 02:43:15 PM

Trow me any question..

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2147699.msg21501337#msg21501337

I looked at that post and checked around your other posts and your’re an altcoin person. I’m not handling that. There’s a guy in that section that is awarding merit for altcoin supporters.

Duminda58031

Activity: 70
Merit: 3

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 02:46:43 PM

I cannot upgrade to member... can anyone help me out?
tanoe

Activity: 350
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 03:24:11 PM

I am just trying to spread bitcoin with limited knowledge from a few source.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2833137.msg29047420#msg29047420
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2819070.msg28865955#msg28865955
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1281079.msg28832589#msg28832589

and maybe I can join with your rule and has all the requirements.
this is my account, please review. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=1074062;sa=showPosts
QuestionAuthority (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 03:26:38 PM

I cannot upgrade to member... can anyone help me out?

I don’t merit altcoin people or anyone under Full Member but here is a thread that does: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2833111.msg29044855#msg29044855

I can tell you what might help you get merit. It looks like most of your posts are in bounty threads. You’re here to make money and that’s fine (we all need to eat). The problem you're having is that other members of the forum need to see you add value to the forum before they will reward you for being here. You’re probably thinking, well how can I do that when these people know more about this stuff than I do. The thing I have been most impressed by from new people is when they don’t understand something, they ask me valid questions and make me dig deep to give them the most correct answer I can give. Everyone has a unique perspective and the potential to add something to conversations, but; you need to join conversations so they know you have something to add. If you do that, it won’t be long before you have merit.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 »
  Print  

Jump to: