Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 09:33:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 ... 230 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Official BITMINE CoinCraft series 28nm ASIC miners thread  (Read 565006 times)
SolarSilver
Legendary

Activity: 1112
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 07:41:16 AM

Mining total-noob here: I have ordered the 2TH/s CoinCraft rig which will consume 3000 Watt in Turbo mode. I am concerned that at such high wattages there might be a fire hazard if one of the components in the rig decides to give up the ghost. What do you experienced guys think? Is this a valid concern? I don't have a basement or anything, just an apartment and I am planning on placing the rig in a corner of my living room.

There is no specific risk of fire, even if something would burn out the equipment would most likely fail and no longer work (thus stop consuming power). If you browse the Avalon thread, you'll see pictures of some small scorch marks on the PCB where some component failed but 3000 Watts does not imply a large flame shooting out.

But if you think you'll host this in your living room, then prepare by buying a pair of earbuds and opening the windows as 3k Watts of heat is a lot to vent and the fans will be on full blast all the time. Your neighbours will probably not like it either
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
UzairHashmi

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 07:59:04 AM

Thanks for the reassurance Solar. Ideally I would like to get hosting for the rig, but if I have to have it my home I can use it as a space heater for my 30 sq meter living room Smiley Provided of course the fans are not loud. I asked the Bitmine customer service guy on the phone about the loudness level, and he said it is not high, not more than a normal computer. If it does turn out to be too loud I will move the rig to my window-sealed balcony, but getting power there will be an issue.
Puppet
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1040

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 08:22:21 AM

3000 Watts does not imply a large flame shooting out.

Electrical equipment is always a fire risk, but Bitcoin miners which are rushed to market with generally little to no QA and testing, and that consume high amounts of power are a bigger risk. Also 3000 watts implies very high amp draws that can heat up cables, (bad) connectors and potentially make them catch fire:
http://forum.kncminer.com/filedata/fetch?id=25647

Now Ive had a 500mW USB charger catch fire on me as well, so its not like this is exclusive to high current bitcoin miners, but  I would certainly rate them a higher risk and take appropriate precautions.
SolarSilver
Legendary

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 07:01:15 PM

Electrical equipment is always a fire risk, but Bitcoin miners which are rushed to market with generally little to no QA and testing, and that consume high amounts of power are a bigger risk. Also 3000 watts implies very high amp draws that can heat up cables, (bad) connectors and potentially make them catch fire:
http://forum.kncminer.com/filedata/fetch?id=25647

All I see is a melted part, there are very few items inside that can actually catch fire

Unless you have mineral oil inside I don't see what would burn. I've had the ATX connector on one of my old GPU rigs burn right through the motherboard, but it just stops there. No fire. Horrible smell, yes. A puff of smoke, OK, but not enough to set off the fire detection

Now Ive had a 500mW USB charger catch fire on me as well, so its not like this is exclusive to high current bitcoin miners, but  I would certainly rate them a higher risk and take appropriate precautions.

I don't think you can compare both cases
Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 09:43:06 PM

I can almost guarantee you that the fans will be loud.  3kW is a buttload of energy to dissipate as heat using air-based cooling.

As for the risk of fire, so long as the power supply and all of the DC cables are contained inside the unit's metal enclosure (unlike the KnC units), I think the risk is minimal.

Do be sure you power it using appropriately-sized circuit(s) and power cables.

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
Puppet
Legendary

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 10:34:55 PM
Last edit: December 25, 2013, 11:01:12 PM by Puppet

All I see is a melted part, there are very few items inside that can actually catch fire

This is from the same guy:

Based off the damage to the power supply and nothing else besides the one 12v wire going to miner it seems like something shorted in the power supply and one or more wires overheated and failed, spraying hot molten plastic aka: wire insulation around. The molten insulation then caught some papers and a small cardboard box on fire and a wireless keyboard and my oakleys. 

http://forum.kncminer.com/forum/main-category/hardware/25328-fire-woke-up-to-sound-of-smoke-alarms-and-smell-of-smoke

Doesnt take a lot of imagination to think what could have happened if more flammable objects where nearby or if he hadnt been woken by the smoke alarm.You dont need 6 feet flames to burn your house down, a cigarette or burning cable insulator can do it to.

SolarSilver
Legendary

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 06:50:23 AM

Based off the damage to the power supply and nothing else besides the one 12v wire going to miner it seems like something shorted in the power supply and one or more wires overheated and failed, spraying hot molten plastic aka: wire insulation around. The molten insulation then caught some papers and a small cardboard box on fire and a wireless keyboard and my oakleys. 

I'm sorry but this can't hardly have been a CE compliant setup, did it come with a metal case or a plastic case made of fire retardant plastic?

Bitmine better have a CE sticker on the back of their case or it will never make it through German customs...

I don't mind the ghetto mining setups, it's all fun and games but there is no way I'd be allowed to bring a setup made of loose boards and a power supply in a cardboard box into a data centre. For good reasons (see picture above)

You might as well make a cardboard case and park it next to some curtains...

Puppet
Legendary

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 08:10:31 AM

I'm sorry but this can't hardly have been a CE compliant setup, did it come with a metal case or a plastic case made of fire retardant plastic?

In the above example, it was the PSU that caught fire. An Antec, and a fairly highend model at that;  Im sure they have the required certifications.

ANyway, Im just pointing out miners are not without risk.  Electrical fires are nasty, take whatever sensible precautions you can. At the very least invest a few euro's in a smoke detector.

Bicknellski

Activity: 924

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 10:15:36 AM

In the above example, it was the PSU that caught fire. An Antec, and a fairly highend model at that;  Im sure they have the required certifications.

ANyway, Im just pointing out miners are not without risk.  Electrical fires are nasty, take whatever sensible precautions you can. At the very least invest a few euro's in a smoke detector.

+1 Isolate any units you buy is sound advice and a get a fire extinguisher situated nearby.

Code:
Fire extinguishers with a Class C rating are suitable for fires in “live” electrical equipment. 
Both monoammonium phosphate and sodium bicarbonate are commonly used to fight this
type of fire because of their nonconductive properties.

http://www.brkelectronics.com/faqs/oem/what-do-the-abc-ratings-mean-on-fire-extinguishers

http://forum.kncminer.com/forum/main-category/hardware/25328-fire-woke-up-to-sound-of-smoke-alarms-and-smell-of-smoke/page2

Kurt (KNC)

Super Moderator

19th December 2013, 10:10 AM

Hello,

It is extremely unfortunate that this has happened to you. We are extremely glad that despite the fire, you are safe and unharmed.

Most, if not all modern power supplies have:
- Over current protection (OCP)
- Over voltage protection (OVP)
- Short circuit protection (SCP)
- Over power protection (OPP)
- Over thermal protection (OTP)

The fact that your power supply set on fire, suggested that one or more of these industrial grade protections have failed.
It is good to hear that your miner is working as it should, if you have any issues please contact support.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
RetroGamer

Activity: 92
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 05:53:25 PM

Mining total-noob here: I have ordered the 2TH/s CoinCraft rig which will consume 3000 Watt in Turbo mode. I am concerned that at such high wattages there might be a fire hazard if one of the components in the rig decides to give up the ghost. What do you experienced guys think? Is this a valid concern? I don't have a basement or anything, just an apartment and I am planning on placing the rig in a corner of my living room.

makes here even someone thought about the point!
So when do I get the device are completely oversized for my current line?
georgem
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1007

spreadcoin.info

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2013, 06:00:30 PM

makes here even someone thought about the point!
So when do I get the device are completely oversized for my current line?

I don't see any problem.

Just ask an electrician, and order him to come to your home.

Even if you have to use thicker cables or a new socket on the wall, it will not be expensive compared to the price you already payed for the mining rig.

He will maybe adjust the fuse panel too.

(often people install washmachines or ovens that require such high wattage, so electrician will know what to do. It's a common thing to have something with 3000-4000 watt running in your home, but an electrician has to update your home probably.)

Just please ask an electrician, and don't do anything yourself.

I suggest that if 3000 watt is not possible in your place, that you first let the rig only run in power save mode, or remove part of the asic boards until your electrician has updated the wires/sockets in your place.

RetroGamer

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 11:50:43 AM

@giorgiomassa
17 days without news
from when does the 10% penalty from the date of manufacture or from Delivery Date
why has no buyers get a firm delivery date? then you could have a better orientation!
they write in the rescue plan purchases will automatically be increased to 10% so far has since done nothing yet.
on 10/12/2013 they have 3 weeks delay announced since they would have to act immediately and the purchases must update.
as a manufacturer, they should learn from the disaster, the avalon have no info always mean bad news.
I hope it happens anything else this year.
Daveb0

Activity: 51

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 01:48:09 PM

@giorgiomassa
17 days without news
from when does the 10% penalty from the date of manufacture or from Delivery Date
why has no buyers get a firm delivery date? then you could have a better orientation!
they write in the rescue plan purchases will automatically be increased to 10% so far has since done nothing yet.
on 10/12/2013 they have 3 weeks delay announced since they would have to act immediately and the purchases must update.
as a manufacturer, they should learn from the disaster, the avalon have no info always mean bad news.

+1

@giorgiomassa
any news about how it looks at the moment would be much appreciated - especially since you ensured that the january batches would not be affected.
RetroGamer

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 03:03:19 PM

@giorgiomassa
17 days without news

+1

@giorgiomassa
any news about how it looks at the moment would be much appreciated - especially since you ensured that the january batches would not be affected.
they had also alleged that they get their chips the end of November and start on 16.12.2013 with the production Angry
georgem
Legendary

spreadcoin.info

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2013, 03:09:00 PM

@giorgiomassa
17 days without news

+1

@giorgiomassa
they had also alleged that they get their chips the end of November and start on 16.12.2013 with the production Angry

It really starts to look a little bit strange.

But since we have end of year festivities, lets give them a few more days. But if on beginning of january this same game is continued to be played, I really don't see any good future.
Then it is really the rule of thumb that no asic hardware creator can be trusted, it's really EXACTLY the same as wild west gold rush 150 years ago.

Biterfly

Activity: 19

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 04:24:49 PM

@giorgiomassa
17 days without news

+1

@giorgiomassa

But since we have end of year festivities, lets give them a few more days. But if on beginning of january this same game is continued to be played, I really don't see any good future.
Then it is really the rule of thumb that no asic hardware creator can be trusted, it's really EXACTLY the same as wild west gold rush 150 years ago.

Spoke to Bitmine today on the phone, they said their people are on their way to china for a meeting with the manufacturer to confirm next week delivery of the chips to switzerland. They should land their tomorrow and by next week if all goes according to plan, they will start to assemble the miners by the end of next week and start deliveries the following monday.....lets hope all goes well. They asked me to call on tuesday and confirm if thats whats going to happen. they at switzerland are waiting to hear from their CEO who is on his way to china to confirm the delivery of the chips next week....fingers crossed..
RetroGamer

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 05:50:27 PM

@giorgiomassa
17 days without news

+1

@giorgiomassa

Spoke to Bitmine today on the phone, they said their people are on their way to china for a meeting with the manufacturer to confirm next week delivery of the chips to switzerland. They should land their tomorrow and by next week if all goes according to plan, they will start to assemble the miners by the end of next week and start deliveries the following monday.....lets hope all goes well. They asked me to call on tuesday and confirm if thats whats going to happen. they at switzerland are waiting to hear from their CEO who is on his way to china to confirm the delivery of the chips next week....fingers crossed..

Thank you for your info georgem
thats exactly why I'm upset.
Why must we seek as customers such information.
brief statements by bitmine would be required.
georgem
Legendary

spreadcoin.info

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2013, 07:20:22 PM

Thank you for your info georgem
thats exactly why I'm upset.
Why must we seek as customers such information.
brief statements by bitmine would be required.

Yes, they don't even have twitter.

Oh sure they have this twitter symbol at the bottom of their page, but it just links to all twitter with tag #bitcoin, so really it's totally useless.

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23bitcoin

Imagine they had their own twitter account and would inform us, like

"meeting in china"

"10k ASIC have arrived"

etc

that would be great.

By the way: I am still waiting for screenshots about their web interface. Nothing yet. :-(

HyperMega

Activity: 129
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 08:49:55 PM

@giorgiomassa
17 days without news

+1

@giorgiomassa

China?
GLOBALFOUNDRIES currently manufactures 28nm wafers only in Germany.
Did Bitmine already confirm that the wafers left the wafer fab in Dresden for chip packaging in China?
Daveb0

Activity: 51

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 10:41:58 PM

@giorgiomassa
17 days without news

+1

@giorgiomassa

I would agree, if it would just be about replying to standard emails.

I do also work in a Swiss company, and there nobody cares about (public) Holidays if things go south.
And being late three weeks with actually no evidence of any light at the end of the tunnel (no update about the chips, no gui previews, just nothing) is pretty much messing things up.
As CEO I would really wory about my reputation - or just have to life with the fact, that my company is as bad as any other currently in the market out there. So nothing about swiss quality and puncuality.

Furthermore, announcing a three week delay at the 10th of December is bullshit.
either:
- the delay "occured at" the 10th wich means 10th + 21days = 31st dec and they would fist have to start production/assembly & testing @bitmine then. So how could this not affect the January Batches?!
- the delay occured earlier (e.g. Nov 19th + 21 days = Dec 10th) which raises the question: how could they not notice, that they actually don't have recieved any chips yet?! What about the "careful planning" they promised? Missing a delay in a core component for 3 weeks in a project is not really professional. Or they knew it, an just did not tell us.

Anyway, travelling to China now is a few weeks to late - I would have expected that giorgiomassa wrote this news and post from the plane flying to China...
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 ... 230 »
  Print  

Jump to: