Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 05:59:58 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ... 125 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Mycelium Bitcoin Wallet  (Read 586150 times)
Jan (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1043
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 01:56:14 PM

Two more requests and then it will be (almost) perfect:

* Please update the German localization (its horrible currently. can't recommend it to new users in that form)
* Please make the option to backup the key(s) more prominent / more obvious for newcomers and as simple and foolproof as possible, not nested 3 levels deep and hidden and not restricted only to one key at a time and only to "external drives" (what is this in the context of a mobile phone anyways? I would have expected to be able to store a password protected backup on the SD-Card and also the option to send it with email (and other apps that implement "send to"))

Otherwise its really a great wallet. Especially I love the option to scan paper wallets. But unfortunately thats all it can be used for currently without a working key backup mechanism.

• German Version: Absolutely! Translations are top priority for version 1.1. We really hope to get Spanish, Chinese and Germen in place for december 6, just in time for the conference in Argentina. German has so far been quite a lot behind (blame Andreas)
  • Prominent Backup: It is already in 1.0. We will release it as soon as we are satisfied with test results. The way it works: The wallet tracks whether you have provably made a backup of each key in the wallet. If you have one or more keys without backup the main screen will show a "Backup Missing" button, which will guide you through the backup and verification process. Try out the testnet version which uses worthless testnet coins: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mycelium.testnetwallet&hl=en

Mycelium let's you hold your private keys private.
No_2

Activity: 901
Merit: 1033

BTC: the beginning of stake-based public resources

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 06:25:53 PM

Jan: big fan of this wallet. I've recommended it to a lot of people and use it myself.

Suggestion for added security: can you have the PIN number pad's numbers arranged randomly each time it comes up? This will prevent eavesdroppers working out your numbers from your finger position. Or perhaps have this feature as an option?
Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 06:33:08 PM

Thanks.
Interesting idea and definitely should be an optional setting. Let me think it through. It wont be for the coming release though.

mrfakename

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 08:04:05 PM

A quick query regarding how MYCELIUM works when generating/storing private keys. (V0.8.1 and v0.8.5)

I was using V0.8.1 on a Samsung galaxy Y (GT-S5360T) when I first tried out the app. I generated a private key but somehow deleted it as it would not export the key since the mycelium-export directory was non-existent on the sd card.

Does mycelium have a list of private keys stored in a file like the BTC-QT client does? (Ie the BTC-qt PC client stores 100 keys for use).

I'm hoping this is the case as I've lost the probate key for an address with 1.1 btc and was hoping I may be able to retrieve the required data if I rooted the device.

can anyone tell me if there's any hope of finding the private key on the gt-s5360t internal memory or with any other procedure?
Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 10:30:01 PM

A quick query regarding how MYCELIUM works when generating/storing private keys. (V0.8.1 and v0.8.5)

I was using V0.8.1 on a Samsung galaxy Y (GT-S5360T) when I first tried out the app. I generated a private key but somehow deleted it as it would not export the key since the mycelium-export directory was non-existent on the sd card.

Does mycelium have a list of private keys stored in a file like the BTC-QT client does? (Ie the BTC-qt PC client stores 100 keys for use).

I'm hoping this is the case as I've lost the probate key for an address with 1.1 btc and was hoping I may be able to retrieve the required data if I rooted the device.

can anyone tell me if there's any hope of finding the private key on the gt-s5360t internal memory or with any other procedure?

All keys are stored in a file. Mycelium does not pre-generate keys, and you will only find the keys in the file that the app is operating on. So if you delete a key from the app it is also deleted in the file. It may be possible to root your device and plow through the file system to locate fragments of old keys even if the file no longer contains it on a file system level, but I am not an expert in those matters.

ffe

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 02:50:35 AM

I wanted to thank you guys for the excellent work on Mycelium. My brother asked about Bitcoin and I pointed him to your wallet. He was completely satisfied and comfortable with it. It really is the go-to wallet for me.
btcdrak
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 04:37:43 PM

I tested Mywelium Wallet testnet version. I have SpiderOak (which is like Dropbox), but I cant seem to share my backup to it.
Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 06:51:52 PM

I tested Mywelium Wallet testnet version. I have SpiderOak (which is like Dropbox), but I cant seem to share my backup to it.
We have one other report of sharing problems, and we are working on a fix which we hope to have in place tomorrow.
It shouldn't be related to the app you want to share it with, but related to the device. However, it would be great if you could tell me what device you tried it on, and whether it works with other destination apps, such as email, bluetooth...
I don't know SpiderOak and haven;t tested it.

btcdrak
Legendary

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 07:02:05 PM

It's a Nexus 7. SpiderOak is like Dropbox but with zero knowledge encryption so they do not have access to your files even if a court orders them to reveal your data. You should look it up. Anyway, the app SpiderOak *does not appear* in the share list along with Google Drive, Dropox, Mail etc. I tried with Dropbox and it worked ok, but I cant try with SpiderOak because it isnt one of the share to options. That is the problem.
Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 07:21:25 PM

It's a Nexus 7. SpiderOak is like Dropbox but with zero knowledge encryption so they do not have access to your files even if a court orders them to reveal your data. You should look it up. Anyway, the app SpiderOak *does not appear* in the share list along with Google Drive, Dropox, Mail etc. I tried with Dropbox and it worked ok, but I cant try with SpiderOak because it isnt one of the share to options. That is the problem.
The share options are depend on the apps you have installed on your device. We share the encrypted PDF file using Intent.EXTRA_STREAM (android lingo). Maybe SpiderOak does not accept this type of share....

btcdrak
Legendary

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 07:52:37 PM

The share options are depend on the apps you have installed on your device. We share the encrypted PDF file using Intent.EXTRA_STREAM (android lingo). Maybe SpiderOak does not accept this type of share....

Maybe it doesn't register itself as a sharing destination.
No_2

Activity: 901
Merit: 1033

BTC: the beginning of stake-based public resources

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 08:29:55 PM

Thanks.
Interesting idea and definitely should be an optional setting. Let me think it through. It wont be for the coming release though.

Thanks, there was an article about some researchers who tested the efficacy of this and got fairly positive results in New Scientist about five years back - can't remember who the researchers were, it may be searchable on-line though.

One of my UK bank accounts also now uses it for the on-line login. It sounds weird, but the first few times it rearranged the numbers on the pad I did't notice...
Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 11:37:09 PM

Re-requesting a push for the development of CoinJoin-mixing in the Mycelium Wallet. With the redlist scandal going on, I think that implementing CoinJoin everywhere is a good idea.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 11:41:23 PM

Re-requesting a push for the development of CoinJoin-mixing in the Mycelium Wallet. With the redlist scandal going on, I think that implementing CoinJoin everywhere is a good idea.

I second this.

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 05:29:31 AM

I second this.

I totally agree. I think most of us had a few jaw dropping moments yesterday.
We have CoinJoin on the radar but it is going to take a while.

Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2013, 01:40:18 AM

I totally agree. I think most of us had a few jaw dropping moments yesterday.
We have CoinJoin on the radar but it is going to take a while.

Good to hear. Smiley

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 08:54:30 AM

While we are at the final stages of releasing version 1.0 we are already looking ahead for version 1.1 where the release topic is translations.
Our initial focus is Chinese, Spanish, German, Russian, and Portuguese.
We already have volunteers for everything but Portuguese

If you know Portuguese or someone who does please help us out

To sign up send me an email at: jan.moller@gmail.com

btcdrak
Legendary

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 08:56:19 AM

And BIP0038 for version 1.1?
Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 08:58:48 AM

I hope so.
Our internal deadline is december 6, just in time for the conference in Argentina (why we are keen on Portuguese and Spanish translations). It is going to be tight, but I hope we can make it.

(A)social

Activity: 644
Merit: 504

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2013, 10:05:17 AM

While we are at the final stages of releasing version 1.0 we are already looking ahead for version 1.1 where the release topic is translations.
Our initial focus is Chinese, Spanish, German, Russian, and Portuguese.
We already have volunteers for everything but Portuguese

If you know Portuguese or someone who does please help us out

To sign up send me an email at: jan.moller@gmail.com

How do you think to manage translations? Something like crowdin.net?

BTC: 1ASociaLbBZzBUR8hSw8CryajncADsR1m6 - Bitmessage: BM-orfFdAgAmtnBokTivq3vj1RtSVtXbrftM
OpenBazaar Store: https://openbazaar.com/store/QmeCThm8d5zcat7BjGw4SQeovaC5diF9s4b2yTSHWdpzmb
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ... 125 »
  Print  

Jump to: