Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 04:29:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 ... 125 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Mycelium Bitcoin Wallet  (Read 586097 times)
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2014, 12:31:52 AM

You can only reach the folder if your phone is rooted. It's buried in the data folder under mycelium app's data.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Jan (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1043
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 01, 2014, 09:13:41 PM

Using Mycelium on a Blackberry Q5 and when I try to do a backup, it creates the PDF file, but when I try and attach it to an email (The only way sharing happens), it isn't attached and I can't find it.

Does anyone know where to find the pdf file it creates?
We have never really tested Mycelium on BB (partly because we don't have one). As far as I remember Stephen Gornick had some success running it on BB, but there were also some shortcomings (don't remember which). On android the available as 'share targets'  depend on the android apps you have installed that accept files (having dropbox installed gives you a drop box target). How that translates to BB I don't know, but you could try to install a different email program or some other file sharing apps.

If you cannot make the backup work on BB, I would instead create the private key offline, turn it into a QR code and import it into the wallet (go to the Keys tab and click the + button and then Scan). And then finally get rid of the private key that was initially created by the wallet.

Mycelium let's you hold your private keys private.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 01, 2014, 11:17:08 PM

As far as I remember Stephen Gornick had some success running it on BB, but there were also some shortcomings (don't remember which).

The minor inconveniences in running on BB10, ... detailed here.
 - http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=293472.msg6353007#msg6353007

And yes, ... backup was one of the issues I described.

I would instead create the private key offline, turn it into a QR code and import it into the wallet

That was the workaround I have used.

The only pain point I have is learning about a new response to my trade offer with Local Trader.  Right now I hear a beep -- that's it.  There's no interaction with BlackBerry Hub like I would get if there was a new WhatsApp message, for instance.  Of course, that's because it is an Android app with no access to BlackBerry notifications system (at least not yet, 10.3 will: http://devblog.blackberry.com/2014/05/new-beta-of-the-blackberry-runtime-for-android-apps-now-available, and also Android apps can use the Blackberry 10's sharing framework as well.  So the Mycelium backup feature will probably work with 10.3 when that becomes available.).

But even with that, whether I use Android or Blackberry, ... it probably would be nice if I were able to get an e-mail or text message notification that I received a new response to a trade ad.  All I need to know is that I should launch the app and check my Active Trades.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 05:19:09 AM

As far as I remember Stephen Gornick had some success running it on BB, but there were also some shortcomings (don't remember which).

The minor inconveniences in running on BB10, ... detailed here.
 - http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=293472.msg6353007#msg6353007

And yes, ... backup was one of the issues I described.

I would instead create the private key offline, turn it into a QR code and import it into the wallet

That was the workaround I have used.

The only pain point I have is learning about a new response to my trade offer with Local Trader.  Right now I hear a beep -- that's it.  There's no interaction with BlackBerry Hub like I would get if there was a new WhatsApp message, for instance.  Of course, that's because it is an Android app with no access to BlackBerry notifications system (at least not yet, 10.3 will: http://devblog.blackberry.com/2014/05/new-beta-of-the-blackberry-runtime-for-android-apps-now-available, and also Android apps can use the Blackberry 10's sharing framework as well.  So the Mycelium backup feature will probably work with 10.3 when that becomes available.).

But even with that, whether I use Android or Blackberry, ... it probably would be nice if I were able to get an e-mail or text message notification that I received a new response to a trade ad.  All I need to know is that I should launch the app and check my Active Trades.

Thanks Stephen.
Andreas has been working on email notifications during the last week  Wink ... and I am really looking forward to this myself (I am using both iPhone and Android).

There is probably going to be a release before we add email notifications with this:
1. Replace the trader age in the top of ads with the time since last activity (you can still see the trader age by clicking Info)

2. Show the price of an ad while editing/creating it

3. Notify traders when an ad is about to time out (currently after 60 days)

4. Remove the "Buying Bitcoins Near" / "Selling Bitcoins Near" title

5. Make trade chat NOT full screen (so you can see your network status)

6. Show fiat amount value when showing Sending/Receiving in the main balance view
7. Japanese translation
The above is currently available in the beta channel

Kazimir
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 08:58:20 AM

I personally prefer Mycelium as my #1 mobile wallet of choice. Now that Apple is allowing Bitcoin apps again, any chance Mycelium will come to iOS as well?

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
Siegfried

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 02:01:51 PM

I have been trying to figure out how to use "share payment request" over a chat app like WeChat, WhatsApp, or Google Hangouts. It sends something like this "bitcoin:1Fuz2SyLVegGhXquoigrQeczrbQjDuNzEU?amount=0.0212823" but there is no convenient way for the receiver of the message to transfer the information from his chat app to his bitcoin wallet. I suppose this is matter of the chat apps lacking functionality rather than Mycelium, but it would be nice if there were a way to take full advantage of the "share payment request" function.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2014, 10:11:06 PM

I personally prefer Mycelium as my #1 mobile wallet of choice. Now that Apple is allowing Bitcoin apps again, any chance Mycelium will come to iOS as well?

Not any time soon. The two platforms are really different, so such a project would be an enormous amount of work, and we would rather concentrate on more important things right now, like increased privacy and anonymity (HD Wallets). Plus Androids are better for decentralized open source stuffs  Grin Maybe eventually someone will figure out how to emulate it?
prof7bit

Activity: 938
Merit: 500

https://youengine.io/

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2014, 05:35:37 AM

Maybe eventually someone will figure out how to emulate it?
You could port the UI to something like libgdx. The Java bytecode of the entire app can then be compiled to native code with robovm and the libgdx GUI framework is cross platform. You would even get a standalone desktop app for free and even a compiled javascript version to run it in the browser.

staffsan

Activity: 33
Merit: 3

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 07:45:57 AM

My mobile phone reset itself and Mycelium can no longer find my wallet. I do not have any backup but I do have my pin code and I immediately took a raw copy of my Android internal hard drive so my Mycelium wallet should be in that raw data dump somewhere.

So I was wondering if someone knows of any unique sequence of bytes that exists in the wallet file that contains my private keys so I can search for and recover them? Or if someone knows another way I should go about recovering my private keys?
mr_john

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 08:05:41 AM

If the data partition just has been wiped (formatted), you *may* find data in the raw dump of the data partition. How did you do the "raw copy" of the internal storage?

However if you already have a bit-level dump of the partition you could try to grep for your bitcoin addresses (the addresses are also stored in the data file). The data file where the keys are stored in begins with:

Code:
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8' standalone='yes' ?>
<map>
    <string name="records">......

so you may look for these strings too.

Good look! And print your backup next time, it's really easy with Mycelium.  Smiley
staffsan

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 08:39:50 AM

If the data partition just has been wiped (formatted), you *may* find data in the raw dump of the data partition. How did you do the "raw copy" of the internal storage?

However if you already have a bit-level dump of the partition you could try to grep for your bitcoin addresses (the addresses are also stored in the data file). The data file where the keys are stored in begins with:

Code:
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8' standalone='yes' ?>
<map>
    <string name="records">......

so you may look for these strings too.

Good look! And print your backup next time, it's really easy with Mycelium.  Smiley

I created the "raw copy" using the method described at http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1818321 under the headline "Back up of the whole memory block (via adb)". So I seem to have backed up all the partitions and not just the data partition (but it should be in there too).

I grep'd for the <string name="records"> and found two newer wallet files that were created when I tried to reinstall Mycelium but I could not find the one that has my bitcoins so I guess it must have gotten overwritten at some point, right?

Thanks for the help! Smiley
mr_john

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 09:37:47 AM

Yes, with "dd" you should get a low-level bit-wise copy of the underlying blockdevice. Also if you already found other matching files this indicates that you got the correct device (where /data partition was stored on).

If you cannot find the data inside the dump, it may have been already overwritten or fragmented by the filesystem. I'm not an expert but in this case it may be very unlikely (or even impossible) to recover your keys. Embarrassed
staffsan

View Profile
June 06, 2014, 10:38:09 AM

Yes, with "dd" you should get a low-level bit-wise copy of the underlying blockdevice. Also if you already found other matching files this indicates that you got the correct device (where /data partition was stored on).

If you cannot find the data inside the dump, it may have been already overwritten or fragmented by the filesystem. I'm not an expert but in this case it may be very unlikely (or even impossible) to recover your keys. Embarrassed

Okay, that's what I thought :/.

Thanks for all the help though! Smiley
Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 07:33:53 AM

I have been trying to figure out how to use "share payment request" over a chat app like WeChat, WhatsApp, or Google Hangouts. It sends something like this "bitcoin:1Fuz2SyLVegGhXquoigrQeczrbQjDuNzEU?amount=0.0212823" but there is no convenient way for the receiver of the message to transfer the information from his chat app to his bitcoin wallet. I suppose this is matter of the chat apps lacking functionality rather than Mycelium, but it would be nice if there were a way to take full advantage of the "share payment request" function.
The problem is likely that they do not recognize "bitcoin:1Fuz2SyLVegGhXquoigrQeczrbQjDuNzEU?amount=0.0212823" as a URI, and don't offer you to 'launch' it.

Some apps may recognize HTML anchor tags like this:
Code:
<a href="bitcoin:1Fuz2SyLVegGhXquoigrQeczrbQjDuNzEU?amount=0.0212823">Payment Request</a>
... but I haven't experimented with it.

bitcats
Legendary

Activity: 1014

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 08:57:39 AM
Last edit: June 11, 2014, 10:07:19 AM by bitcats

I've installed Mycelium on a Samsung Galaxy with Cyanogen. Everything works fine except the built-in QR code scanner.

Is it possible to use another QR reader to scan a BTC address, copy it to the clipboard and import into Mycelium? Or is there a way to just take a pic of the code with the cam and import it into Mycelium?

edit: it's not an autofocus problem.

"Unser Problem ist nicht ziviler Ungehorsam, unser Problem ist ziviler Gehorsam."  - Howard Zinn
mr_john

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 09:44:36 AM

Everything works fine except the built-in QR code scanner.
Does it not focus? If so, try to disable the checkbox "Continous Autofocus" in the settings.

Some background:
The general idea in embedding a QR code scanner within Bitcoin wallets is: security. If you rely on a third-party barcode scanner app which may not be open-source (so that you can check it does not something malicious) someone could trick you into installing a malware barcode scanner which does not behave honestly.

For example: I could easily write a barcode scanner app, which works perfectly for weeks as expected (so that you won't suspect anything), but only if you scan a payment request which is - let's say greater than 5 BTC - my malicious barcode scanner returns one of my address instead of the real one you just scanned. If you would't look carefully enough you might end up sending your funds directly to the attacker.

@jan:
Just noticed last weekend on a friend's phone that on international Galaxy S2 (Samsung GT-I9100, sorry have no further build details) the autofocus also only works, when "Continous Autofocus" is disabled.
Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 12:22:11 PM

@jan:
Just noticed last weekend on a friend's phone that on international Galaxy S2 (Samsung GT-I9100, sorry have no further build details) the autofocus also only works, when "Continous Autofocus" is disabled.

Thanks Johnny.

I can make it disabled by default, but I need to know the exact model string as returned by android.os.Build.MODEL. This should be the value that you get by going into Settings -> About device -> Model number, alternatively there are apps that show this value, for instance "Elixir" shows this under software->Build->Model.

We already have it disabled for Nexus 4. Unfortunately it is not possible to determine which devices have this quirk.

@bitcats, can you confirm that disabling Continuous Autofocus helps for your device? In that case, please let me know what your model is.

bitcats
Legendary

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 10:35:27 AM

@bitcats, can you confirm that disabling Continuous Autofocus helps for your device? In that case, please let me know what your model is.
I disabled "Continuous Autofocus" on my Galaxy 4 (CyanogenMod), I tried "Auto" and "Macro" mode - didn't work! There's a popup message, but it autocloses within a second, impossible to read it.

I'd appreciate an option to import a QR code pic into Mycelium:

"Unser Problem ist nicht ziviler Ungehorsam, unser Problem ist ziviler Gehorsam."  - Howard Zinn
Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 12:54:43 PM

I disabled "Continuous Autofocus" on my Galaxy 4 (CyanogenMod), I tried "Auto" and "Macro" mode - didn't work! There's a popup message, but it autocloses within a second, impossible to read it.

I'd appreciate an option to import a QR code pic into Mycelium:

The external scanners I am aware of put whatever you scan on the clipboard.
So for payments I think it is a lot easier to use an external scanner and hit the clipboard button in the above screenshot.

Actually, if the thing you scan follows the bitcoin URI standard it will actually launch the wallet automatically.
Try and scan this one with an external scanner on your phone:

bitcoin:1Fuz2SyLVegGhXquoigrQeczrbQjDuNzEU

(I wouldn't advise to use an external scanner for scanning private keys unless you really trust the other apps on your device)

bitcats
Legendary

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 10:23:06 AM

I tried different QR scanners, only one worked but it has no clipboard option. I think it's a Cyanogen issue.
Isn't there a way to just use a pic of the QR code taken with the camera?

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 ... 125 »
  Print  

Jump to: