Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 07:37:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 ... 125 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Mycelium Bitcoin Wallet  (Read 586097 times)
Exhibit_A

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 02:49:27 AM

Thanks for the help .. what a great community Smiley

So by a "cold wallet", or "cold storage" you mean a hard copy printout of the private keys?

What I am currently doing is regularly (once a month) converting some cash savings to bitcoin using ANXPRO, and sending the bitcoin to my multibit address. I keep backups of my multibit wallet. If I import my private key to Mycelium, will it be the same address as in multibit and if so what happens to the random address that Mycelium created on startup?

Can I import the multibit wallet directly into Mycelium or only the private keys?

Thanks again
Andy
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Jan (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1043
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 06:47:18 AM

Thanks for the help .. what a great community Smiley

So by a "cold wallet", or "cold storage" you mean a hard copy printout of the private keys?

What I am currently doing is regularly (once a month) converting some cash savings to bitcoin using ANXPRO, and sending the bitcoin to my multibit address. I keep backups of my multibit wallet. If I import my private key to Mycelium, will it be the same address as in multibit and if so what happens to the random address that Mycelium created on startup?

Can I import the multibit wallet directly into Mycelium or only the private keys?

Thanks again
Andy
If you import a private key from Multibit to Mycelium you will see the same balance and be able to spend from it in both places. This is however not a good idea:
1. Instead of exposing your funds to one potentially compromised computing environment  you expose it to two.
2. You may get confused as to why money went away from one wallet when spending from another.
3. You may cause double spends if you send from both wallets at or near the same time.

Instead I suggest that you have your Multibit address (not private key) imported in Mycelium, which allows you to observe, but not spend, the funds.
If you wish to spend from both wallets it is best to let them each have their own private keys.

If we are talking about savings and not 'beer money', then I would not have the funds online at all. Put them on paper and do cold storage spending:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV-29RFU6xA

Mycelium let's you hold your private keys private.
Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 10:09:44 AM

Mycelium 2.0 Alpha with full HD support launched for testnet.

Over the summer we have been working hard to get Mycelium 2.0 with HD support ready. The Alpha version has been submitted for testnet and should be available on Google Play shortly.

The same signed APK can be downloaded here:  http://mycelium.com/assets/btcwallet/mbw-testnet-release-2.0.0-ALPHA3build20003.apk

What's different?

At a glance it looks like it used to except that the Keys tab is renamed to Accounts, and all your keys/addresses are called accounts. So all your private keys and read-only addresses are preserved fully backwards compatible.

Beneath the UI everything has changed.

What is new?
  • When you click the + button in the Accounts tab you can create a new HD account. The first time you do this a master seed will be created. All HD accounts are derived from the same master seed using BIP44 account derivation. You can create your master seed from a BIP39 word lists (like with Trezor), or from an internally generated random number, or from an encrypted PDF backup (restore scenario).
  • If you only use HD accounts you will only have to make one backup ever.
  • An HD account automatically generates a new receiving addresses when you receive a payment to the current receiving address.
  • An HD account automatically generates new a new change addresses when you send a payment that requires change.
  • Transactions that you create while offline or with bad network connection get broadcasted once you go online.
  • Transaction history is not limited to the last 20, and allows for seamless expansion when scrolling.
  • You can put labels on transactions.
  • You can have your classic single address accounts side by side with HD accounts.
  • You can list the unspent outputs for all your addresses in an account. Nerdy feature, but nice to have now that your balance is spread over several addresses.
  • You can have as many accounts as you like (HD or not), but your wallet will be slower if you have many. Since HD accounts produce unlimited amounts of new addresses as you use them you will eventually feel the effect. To mitigate that you can archive accounts as they grow heavy. You can activate archived accounts as you wish.

TL;DR

Help us testing the testnet version of Mycelium 2.0 to get the production version out faster

If you need testnet coins strike a deal with Virtual Trader by clicking "Buy / Sell Bitcoin"

Mitchell
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 3864
Merit: 2185

Verified awesomeness ✔

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2014, 10:18:36 AM
Last edit: September 05, 2014, 10:33:57 AM by bitcoininformation

Well done guys.

Having a HD wallet is a huge improvement. You guys always deliver amazing work and I am glad that I'm using your wallet! It might not look amazing, but it I couldn't care less about that. Keep it up guys!

Duelbits
            ▄████▄▄
          ▄█████████▄
        ▄█████████████▄
     ▄██████████████████▄
   ▄████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄███▄
 ▄████▐▀▄▄▀▌████▐▀▄▄▀▌██

██████▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀█████

▐████████████■▄▄▄■██████████▀
▐██████████████████████████▀
██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████▀
  ▀███████████████████▀
    ▀███████████████▀
         ▄ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▄▄
         ▄▀▀▄      █
         █   ▀▄     █
       ▄█▄     ▀▄   █
      ▄▀ ▀▄      ▀█▀
    ▄▀     ▀█▄▄▄▀▀ ▀
  ▄▀  ▄▀  ▄▀

Live Games

▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄
 ▄▀ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄ ▀▄
▄▀ █ ▄  █  ▄ █ ▀▄
█ █   ▀   ▀   █ █  ▄▄▄
█ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ █ █   █
█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █▄█
█ ▀▀█  ▀▀█  ▀▀█ █  █▄█

Slots
        ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
        █         ▄▄  █
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄       █
█  ▄▄         █       █
█             █       █
█   ▄▀▀▄▀▀▄   █       █
█   ▀▄   ▄▀   █       █

Blackjack
|█▀▀▀▀▀█▄▄▄
       ▀████▄▄
         ██████▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀    ▀▀█
████████▄        █
█████████▄        █
██████████▄     ▄██
█████████▀▀▀█▄▄████
▀▀███▀▀       ████
   █          ███
   █          █▀
▄█████▄▄▄ ▄▄▀▀
███████▀▀▀
                 NEW!                  
SPORTS BETTING 
|||
[ Đ ][ Ł ]
AVAILABLE NOW

Advertisements are not endorsed by me.
bitcats
Legendary

Activity: 1014
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 10:25:56 AM

Thanks. Great job!
Could you add an option to import QR codes from files (jpg,gif)? I use Cyanogen on Galaxy S4 and the QR scanner doesn't work for me. This would be very helpful to many people with scanning issues.

"Unser Problem ist nicht ziviler Ungehorsam, unser Problem ist ziviler Gehorsam."  - Howard Zinn
Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 10:32:52 AM

Thanks. Great job!
Could you add an option to import QR codes from files (jpg,gif)? I use Cyanogen on Galaxy S4 and the QR scanner doesn't work for me.
Thanks.
I would much rather get the scanner work with Cyanogen on Galaxy S4. Can you send a bug report with as much detail as possible to developers@mycelium.com? A short movie clip that shows how it behaves would be really helpful.

bitcats
Legendary

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 10:52:55 AM

Thanks. Great job!
Could you add an option to import QR codes from files (jpg,gif)? I use Cyanogen on Galaxy S4 and the QR scanner doesn't work for me.
Thanks.
I would much rather get the scanner work with Cyanogen on Galaxy S4. Can you send a bug report with as much detail as possible to developers@mycelium.com? A short movie clip that shows how it behaves would be really helpful.
I can try to send you a movie. But I think that it's just an issue of my old cyanogen build. The latest builds will probably work, but I dont want to go through the whole update procedure again.
I would really appreciate a "reading from gif" feature. This would also be helpful to people with a broken cam (i.e. my brother)  Wink

"Unser Problem ist nicht ziviler Ungehorsam, unser Problem ist ziviler Gehorsam."  - Howard Zinn
Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 11:11:46 AM

Thanks. Great job!
Thanks.
I can try to send you a movie. But I think that it's just an issue of my old cyanogen build. The latest builds will probably work, but I dont want to go through the whole update procedure again.
I would really appreciate a "reading from gif" feature. This would also be helpful to people with a broken cam (i.e. my brother)  Wink
Adding this feature means two things:
1. Quite a bit of development work (we are swamped already)
2. More complex UI for everybody else
Sorry, but it is probably more fair (if measured across of the universe for some kind of undefined means of measuring) if you update cyanogen and if your brother gets a phone that is not broken.

bitcats
Legendary

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 11:16:39 AM

Thanks.
Sorry, but it is probably more fair (if measured across of the universe for some kind of undefined means of measuring) if you update cyanogen and if your brother gets a phone that is not broken.
Ok. Do you still want the movie clip?

Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 11:25:57 AM

Thanks.
Ok. Do you still want the movie clip?
If an upgrade to cyanogen does the trick that won't be necessary.

Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 01:19:56 PM

Please give Mycelium some upvote love  Grin
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2fjpsu/mycelium_20_alpha_with_full_hd_support_launched/

Exhibit_A

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 02:53:53 PM

Hi,

I need a little assistance.

I exported my private key from my multibit wallet, but could not work out how to import into Myceluim. I assumed I could import the key file, but there was no file import option. So I copied the content of the key file to the clipboard, but the 'read from clipboard' option was greyed out.

I then scanned the QR code from multibit which worked, so now I can see the balance in Mycelium, but it does not contain the private key.

How can I import the private key?

Thanks
Andy
Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 03:15:18 PM

Hi,

I need a little assistance.

I exported my private key from my multibit wallet, but could not work out how to import into Myceluim. I assumed I could import the key file, but there was no file import option. So I copied the content of the key file to the clipboard, but the 'read from clipboard' option was greyed out.

I then scanned the QR code from multibit which worked, so now I can see the balance in Mycelium, but it does not contain the private key.

How can I import the private key?

Thanks
Andy
You probably scanned the bitcoin address from multibit and got a read-only account in Mycelium. To be able to spend you need the private key.
If you have the private key on SPIA format you can import it from the clipboard as a text string, but you must be aware that any app on your phone can potentially get to it while on the clipboard. In general I don't think it is a good idea to share private keys among wallets. IMO it is better to let the wallets protect and spend from their own private keys. The more computing environments you expose a private key to the more you are exposed to theft or loss.
(Mycelium does not support importing multibit backups)

Exhibit_A

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 03:26:30 PM

Thanks ....

I am considering replacing multibit with mycelium. But I need access to the private key in mycelium to do this.

I tried to import the key from clipboard, but the option is greyed out even after copying the test to the clipboard.

How do I get the clipboard import option to be active?

Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 03:43:26 PM

Thanks ....

I am considering replacing multibit with mycelium. But I need access to the private key in mycelium to do this.

I tried to import the key from clipboard, but the option is greyed out even after copying the test to the clipboard.

How do I get the clipboard import option to be active?

(If you wish to migrate then I think it is a better idea to send the funds using a transaction.)

The clipboard button automatically gets enabled if you have a private key on it in SIPA format.
Here is an example:
KwWVqndQMw1DyL4Sb2moNArofcQztswhGbSkX2M9mhDBv6BtZ6gW

DON'T use it except for testing purposes!

On some phones there have been problems with the clipboard, so alternatively you can turn it into a QR code using some software you trust.

Exhibit_A

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 04:06:53 PM

Thanks again,

Yes, I think I will just send via a transaction.

The main reason I am doing this is to end up with a 'Cold Storage' wallet. If its not too much to ask, can you instruct me on how to create a cold storage wallet, or can you point me to a good site which explains it?

trasla

Activity: 707
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 05, 2014, 07:18:21 PM

Thanks again,
Yes, I think I will just send via a transaction.
The main reason I am doing this is to end up with a 'Cold Storage' wallet. If its not too much to ask, can you instruct me on how to create a cold storage wallet, or can you point me to a good site which explains it?

The point in having a cold storage is not to have the private key stored on any device.
You just scan the private key from paper in order to create transactions.
Here is a video showing how that works.

The best way to create paper wallets for cold storage is to use the Mycelium Entropy. But till you get one, you could for example use bitaddress.org to generate bitcoin addresses, and the option paper wallet from the menu to print them like in the video. Just note that depending on the amount of money you will put on that paper wallet you might want to take extra steps to rule out the possibility of malicious software to steal your private key. For example: download bitaddress.org, take your computer offline while generating and printing, etc. Please make sure you know about the risks before putting serious amounts of money on an address.
pm7

Activity: 34

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 09:03:51 AM

* Email notifications for LocalTrader - Google Push Notifications system is still kind of unreliable, and we can't fix it because it's Google servers that are having issues, so this is a fix until we figure out something better.
How to change email address in LocalTrader?

About HD Wallet:
Can I see more (used?) receiving addresses?
Can I import Electrum Public Key (for watch-only functionality)?
Can I create Public Key of Mycelium Master Seed?
Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 09:21:01 AM

* Email notifications for LocalTrader - Google Push Notifications system is still kind of unreliable, and we can't fix it because it's Google servers that are having issues, so this is a fix until we figure out something better.
How to change email address in LocalTrader?

About HD Wallet:
Can I see more (used?) receiving addresses?
Can I import Electrum Public Key (for watch-only functionality)?
Can I create Public Key of Mycelium Master Seed?

You can set the notification email address in settings.

You cannot see old receiving addresses directly. In general reusing address makes you less anonymous. There are two workarounds however:
1. You can select a transaction in an account and 'Show Details'. This will list all the addresses participating in the transaction. If the transaction was you sending, then the input addresses will be yours.
2. You can select an account and select 'Show Unspent Outputs'. This will list those of your addresses that have funda in them.
In general I think we should all be moving away from directly managing/using addresses.

You cannot directly view/export the root public key from the master seed. You can however see the BIP39 word list (in settings for now as a debug thing). We are probably going to add a feature that allows you to properly export the master seed word list. That list can be imported into other BIP39 compatible tools.

pm7

Activity: 34

View Profile
September 06, 2014, 10:05:41 AM

Thanks for the reply. What about possibility of importing public key of hd wallet?
Also, words in settings are the same for two different hd wallets - bug?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 ... 125 »
  Print  

Jump to: