Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 05:34:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Why I am quitting ICO's  (Read 6083 times)
DikkieD (OP)

Activity: 560
Merit: 22

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 10:29:26 AM
Merited by k@suy (2), suchmoon (1), LoyceV (1), ralle14 (1), RodeoX (1), jeremypwr (1), Jet Cash (1), peter0425 (1), alyssa85 (1), BartS (1), Piggy (1), entrepmind23 (1), salterious (1)

I decided to quit ICO's. From December till now I invested about 5 eth into several ICO's. Invest what you can miss, this is what was able to miss.

Right now the first few of my ICO's have reached the exchanges. Most are under performing, but this is related to the overall dip (can be read everywhere). I understand, but ICO token economics have changed also.

• massive hardcaps
  • most is sold in pre-sale to big investors, leaving scraps for crowdsale
  • much attention to marketing, less to working product or realistic time lines
  • immediately available on EtherDelta and IDEX, sure sign of little interest in token economics/future
  • no lock on pre-sale tokens, whales take their x2, x3 or x-whatever as soon as possible (I would probably have done the same). Prices drop to below ICO price.
  • too many ICO's without distinctive differences.
  • too many ICO's in general
  • too much tokens reserved for team/marketing
  • many ICO's don't even have a crowdsale anymore (which perhaps is a good thing as the little investors are protected this way)
  • ICO prizes are quite high. 1eth = 1000/4000 tokens is pretty common, but with a hc of 40 million, this will not easily go x10 or more.

I was 'unlucky' to miss out on a few ICO's besides the ones I was able to participate in. Afterwards I am glad, since I was able to pick most up at a fraction of the ICO price.

Important as ever: DYOR as not all ICO's have a genuine solution to a genuine problem. Some may seem like a fantastic solution, but often it is marketing combined with a strong team, and not so much a great working product.

And who am I? I am definitely a nobody Tongue, but still wanted to share my experiences and perhaps save people from thinking of getting on board of the next x100 ICO Smiley

p.s. when a Telegram has over 20k subscribers all screaming 'when lambo' with endless rows of animated gifs, you may also wonder if this is a serious block chain solution which will revolutionize 'x' Smiley
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
aceptamosbitcoin

Activity: 981
Merit: 503

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 11:08:55 AM

Interesting point of view.
I'm on exactly opposite end - I'm going deeper with ICO's this year.

Your points are pretty valid, but this mean you just need to be more peaky where you are investing. And I'm always and only buying during the pre-ico phase, avoiding those ICO's with massive pre-sale.
Lovecove

Activity: 161
Merit: 38

(Thank you for all the merit =) ) ~Lovecove!

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 11:13:40 AM

I agree. The ICO craze is reaching its maximum. Everyone saw ICOs 40x'ing and what not last season. So naturally, everyone, both big and small investors, are trying to get in on the craze for the simple reason of dumping when the token or coin reaches a multiple in price.

And most ICOs are scams. You can argue this to death, but out of 100 ICOs, most are there for the hype and quick mass funding.

It's a bullet train to hell. Everyone who hasn't gotten off will end up splattered.

There's an exception to those few solid ICOs with great promise. But even those are pumped and dumped all the same.

Visit now if you're interested in buying these domains: EtherMining.org, CryptoMovement.org, Bitcoiner.Co
lisa12_81

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 11:31:21 AM

Hm, yes. It's interesting point of view. It has the right to exist.
The usual crowdfunding platforms and startups are also full of foolish ideas and bad offers, but they still exist. So, I don't think tat this year is the end of ICO. Our analytics methods should be fastidious.
Rascar Capac

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 11:38:42 AM

It's certain that the hard caps are high and that there are more and more... But some ICOs like crypterium or titanium still managed to reach it! I think the real problem is that it dilutes all this money on the market cap and therefore prevents good projects from succeeding  Sad
Lanatsa

Activity: 2828
Merit: 649

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 11:53:23 AM

Interesting point of view.
I'm on exactly opposite end - I'm going deeper with ICO's this year.

Your points are pretty valid, but this mean you just need to be more peaky where you are investing. And I'm always and only buying during the pre-ico phase, avoiding those ICO's with massive pre-sale.
Even myself have those kind of point which is definitely valid.I have seen this market is already crowded when it comes to projects which I do saw that they are just purely copying to each others idea as long they do able to represent something on the public that will able to make some funding but not totally minding on the total essence of a certain project this is why as an investor we should really be keen on everything.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
pogiparin

Activity: 140
Merit: 2

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 12:48:09 PM

This "ICO" phenomenon is overhyped. This creates a lot of speculations that drive people crazy. People just buy and sell without researching and leads to their downfall. I hope you'll find another area in which you can succeed.

|█     |     DPH     |     D I G I P H A R M     |     █|
HEALTHCARE BEYOND BARRIERS
╚════════   WWW.DIGIPHARM.CH   ════════╝
CherRic

Activity: 266
Merit: 12

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 12:49:22 PM

I decided to quit ICO's. From December till now I invested about 5 eth into several ICO's. Invest what you can miss, this is what was able to miss.

Right now the first few of my ICO's have reached the exchanges. Most are under performing, but this is related to the overall dip (can be read everywhere). I understand, but ICO token economics have changed also.

• massive hardcaps
  • immediately available on EtherDelta and IDEX, sure sign of little interest in token economics/future
  • no lock on pre-sale tokens, whales take their x2, x3 or x-whatever as soon as possible (I would probably have done the same). Prices drop to below ICO price.
  • many ICO's don't even have a crowdsale anymore (which perhaps is a good thing as the little investors are protected this way)
  • ICO prizes are quite high. 1eth = 1000/4000 tokens is pretty common, but with a hc of 40 million, this will not easily go x10 or more.

I was 'unlucky' to miss out on a few ICO's besides the ones I was able to participate in. Afterwards I am glad, since I was able to pick most up at a fraction of the ICO price.

Important as ever: DYOR as not all ICO's have a genuine solution to a genuine problem. Some may seem like a fantastic solution, but often it is marketing combined with a strong team, and not so much a great working product.

And who am I? I am definitely a nobody Tongue, but still wanted to share my experiences and perhaps save people from thinking of getting on board of the next x100 ICO Smiley

p.s. when a Telegram has over 20k subscribers all screaming 'when lambo' with endless rows of animated gifs, you may also wonder if this is a serious block chain solution which will revolutionize 'x' Smiley

Investment is really risks taking job. Sometimes you loose and sometimes you win. Your statements are true and valid. There are many ICOs now and most of them are hanging once they finish the sales. What happens next after that seems too difficult to predict because most of their roadmaps are too ambitious. Also, the tokens are too large in which, very cheap when traded or sold.
omonuyak

Activity: 882
Merit: 269

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 12:52:32 PM

Ico is good to invest in if you can actually make money if those projects will be listed in those big exchange and not on etherdelta and hitbtc were most thing that happened is dump and sell out of panic.
I don't think Ico itself is bad but what is bad is our attitude towards how this market work , no one want to invest in a project because he believes in the future of those project but just to sell for profits.
Taner

Activity: 686
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 12:54:48 PM

• massive hardcaps

Perhaps You should have chosen an ICO with initially small capitalization, high ratings and big bonuses.
charlotte04

Activity: 504
Merit: 102

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 01:07:04 PM

• massive hardcaps

I surely agree with you that there are so many ICOs that are coming out right now without even a unique product or anything, they just want to make money from investors.
congresowoman

Activity: 448
Merit: 103

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 01:07:22 PM

Your obervation have shown that many ICO nowadays are carbon copies of previous ICO of a diffent company. There are some investors that have been discouraged because of the effects of dumpers in etherdelta which put the coin in underperformance status. Many who gets the coin are bounty hunters willing to dump the moment token get into their wallet.
Some tip to give you is that before you invest try looking for a unique ICO, an ico which dont have a resemblance to others. And do some research first. 5 ETH is  big money bro.
This crypto business is a lot of trial and error but the good thing is that we learn along the way.

fredo123

Activity: 350

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 01:40:59 PM

Your obervation have shown that many ICO nowadays are carbon copies of previous ICO of a diffent company. There are some investors that have been discouraged because of the effects of dumpers in etherdelta which put the coin in underperformance status. Many who gets the coin are bounty hunters willing to dump the moment token get into their wallet.
Some tip to give you is that before you invest try looking for a unique ICO, an ico which dont have a resemblance to others. And do some research first. 5 ETH is  big money bro.
This crypto business is a lot of trial and error but the good thingt is that we learn along the way.
ICO's attracts many scammers who can simply create a bogus whitepaper and make off with a lot of money . Some developers also purposefully omit certain important details from their whitepaper to make their projects look more appealing than they actually are. The biggest consequence of all these scams is the decreased faith of the public in  blockchain technology which can potential spell absolute disaster.
DPrillio

Activity: 693

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 02:13:21 PM

This crypto business is a lot of trial and error but the good thingt is that we learn along the way.
ICO's attracts many scammers who can simply create a bogus whitepaper and make off with a lot of money . Some developers also purposefully omit certain important details from their whitepaper to make their projects look more appealing than they actually are. The biggest consequence of all these scams is the decreased faith of the public in  blockchain technology which can potential spell absolute disaster.
Yes, scams are everywhere and much more on the online community and it is not new to me that there are ICO's that they consider it scam but i don't believe on it, just maybe there are some ICO that are not successful so the distribution of bounty is very delayed. As for me i will never quit as being a bounty hunter because there are so many times that my reward is helping me a lot in my financial struggles.

alyssa85
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1088

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 02:22:15 PM

Have you managed to make any profits at all from your ICO investments? If you only invested in December, it's too soon to tell whether a coin will perform or not. You have to help things along by building a community, ensuring that the coins are listed on many exchanges etc, and it's hard work.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit InvestBox.|.BUY X10 AND EARN 10% DAILY.🏆
fokinlipat

Activity: 187
Merit: 2

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 02:30:30 PM

• massive hardcaps

You listed a lot of reasons there. I also don't invest much there because there are so many actually. It is time consuming to research about all then choose some for investment. Not worth my time for sure.
Zadicar
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1020

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 02:33:06 PM

Yes, scams are everywhere and much more on the online community and it is not new to me that there are ICO's that they consider it scam but i don't believe on it, just maybe there are some ICO that are not successful so the distribution of bounty is very delayed. As for me i will never quit as being a bounty hunter because there are so many times that my reward is helping me a lot in my financial struggles.
You should not just focusing on the bounty for setting and indication if a project is scam or not because even they do distributed but you cant able to figure it out on the earliest stage on a project which do really only aim for pump and dump scheme which we would only realize in the end and its too late to react which it do really leads up on losing up money as an investor. We should make our own assignment on selecting which one is the best.

Legendary / Hero Member

EPSILOAN ██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
████████████████████████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
█████▄     ███████    ▄█████
███████     █████    ███████
███████ ▄    ███     ███████
███████ █▄    █ █    ███████
███████ ██▄    ██    ███████
███████ ███▄  ███    ███████
█████▀   ▀██▄███▀     ▀█████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
JCLee

Activity: 280

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 03:47:59 PM

Ico is good to invest in if you can actually make money if those projects will be listed in those big exchange and not on etherdelta and hitbtc were most thing that happened is dump and sell out of panic.
I don't think Ico itself is bad but what is bad is our attitude towards how this market work , no one want to invest in a project because he believes in the future of those project but just to sell for profits.
Yep, ICO is really good but there are so many scammers are trying to take advanage of ICO to scam people. They often create some ICO project with good WP, roadmap, good dev team and private deposit address is the most important thing Smiley. These project are often widely advertised and when they got enough money, they will disappear with all the money of investors Smiley

BartS

Activity: 980
Merit: 255

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 03:48:43 PM

• massive hardcaps

Be glad it only took you 5 ETH and a few months to realize that, many after losing their money in icos double down on their mistake and keep investing in projects that are very shady, I have decided to stop investing in icos and will concentrate in alts with low market cap since I have noticed the same, the amount of money the devs want to get is simply too high and after the ico there is no room to grow so you can easily get 3 or 4 times the amount of tokens in the open market for the same price you could have paid at the ico phase.
DikkieD (OP)

Activity: 560
Merit: 22

View Profile
February 14, 2018, 05:13:06 PM

I am not a whale Smiley. I spread out that 5 eth over several highly sought after ICO's (like DADI, Beetoken, Wepower etc). It's not that I already am at a big loss, and I am sure things will turn for the better later on when those projects are more successful. However, I could have bought significantly more tokens per ICO if I had waited until they were available at exchanges like ED or IDEX (and even the regular ones).

So far I don't think I chose obvious scam ICO's, but I did have higher hopes Smiley. Anyway, I am not complaining about the performance of the ICO's I chose, it's more that I decided to only go for actual gems.

Maybe, if in the near future those sharing poules are risk-free, I may consider joining those in order to get in at pre-sale or earlier....but tbh, I don't think so as then I will simply just be a part of something that doesn't work proper in the first place (i.e. whales dropping loads right after launch at exchanges).

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 »
  Print  

Jump to: