Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 12:02:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Why I am quitting ICO's  (Read 6081 times)
Commie

Activity: 621
Merit: 108

View Profile
April 27, 2018, 05:21:54 PM

Thanks for sharing. I have only participated in 2 ICOs and both worked out well, but for the majority of them I always had suspicions similar to those in your report.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
blodelf1

Activity: 172
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 27, 2018, 05:36:19 PM

I think It's a pity that you had such a sad experience. I participated in several successful ICO's. Of course now there is a lot of scam. But there are also very strong projects. You need to be able to see the potential.
max fray

Activity: 294
Merit: 10

JOIN THE NEXT MEGATREND IN CRYPTO!

View Profile
April 27, 2018, 07:54:44 PM

Marketing in 2017 has become so boring for many people that effective work with funds gives much more than pseudo-crowd-investing, especially if you take into account the portrait of an "average investor" (usually investing less than 1 ETH). Most funds raised in 2017 were brought by medium and large investors.
But the era of easy crypto-money comes to its end.
Investors themselves are becoming increasingly demanding: projects that have collected record amounts of money, but still have not provided any visible results of their work, have received the first claims from shareholders.
In this regard I can fully understand your disappointment.

youdacapt

Activity: 1806
Merit: 295

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2018, 08:18:33 PM

I do not choose to stop completely, rather focus on the use of maximum funds for ICO that really have good and potential competencies in the exchange market. I do not really like ICO expectations that make token prices unreasonable when compared to supply allocations. there are still many good projects and we do not need to be too skeptical not to support the evolutionary steps.
DigitalFox

Activity: 280
Merit: 28

View Profile
April 27, 2018, 08:32:52 PM

Over years I only had bad experiences with crowdfunding projects. It made me staying clear of ICOs and I think I wasn't wrong.

Bunk67

Activity: 266
Merit: 1

View Profile
April 27, 2018, 08:59:10 PM

everyday of this year is a blessed day for me i know ICO and am not thinking of quiting i belief this is my year that i will make it big, looking forward for the good project to do and am thinking of investing some money in ALTCOIN

●  ●  ●    CryptoMarketAds    ●  ●  ●
►  Democratize Crypto Advertising & Marketing  ◄
Ishiro5
Copper Member

Activity: 224
Merit: 3

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2018, 09:33:22 PM

This is about my experience too since i started participating in ICOs this year, only two of them did like 4x. Having been caught up in this too, i decided to research further. I discovered the following:

1. ICO price is not necessarily the cheapest price even if one buys at Pre-ico, there are smarter investors who buy through pools and get higher bonuses, and if they decide to sell even at Pre-ico or ICO price, they have made their gains already.
2. ICOs with 'huge' hard caps (say $20m and above) especially without a ready product or ready massive acceptance are a red flag, a low hard cap ico with a ready product and a good marketing team would most likely go 4x even if it does not perform, yes i do excuse ICOs with massive hype though and with low hard cap.
3. I join all the ICO pools i can find, that gives me an advantage by default when i buy through them.
4. Of course DYOR concept is still very key too.
5. The rest is fate.
Eugenar

Activity: 1274
Merit: 278

View Profile
April 27, 2018, 09:54:06 PM

I decided to quit ICO's. From December till now I invested about 5 eth into several ICO's. Invest what you can miss, this is what was able to miss.

Right now the first few of my ICO's have reached the exchanges. Most are under performing, but this is related to the overall dip (can be read everywhere). I understand, but ICO token economics have changed also.

• massive hardcaps
  • most is sold in pre-sale to big investors, leaving scraps for crowdsale
  • much attention to marketing, less to working product or realistic time lines
  • immediately available on EtherDelta and IDEX, sure sign of little interest in token economics/future
  • no lock on pre-sale tokens, whales take their x2, x3 or x-whatever as soon as possible (I would probably have done the same). Prices drop to below ICO price.
  • too many ICO's without distinctive differences.
  • too many ICO's in general
  • too much tokens reserved for team/marketing
  • many ICO's don't even have a crowdsale anymore (which perhaps is a good thing as the little investors are protected this way)
  • ICO prizes are quite high. 1eth = 1000/4000 tokens is pretty common, but with a hc of 40 million, this will not easily go x10 or more.

I was 'unlucky' to miss out on a few ICO's besides the ones I was able to participate in. Afterwards I am glad, since I was able to pick most up at a fraction of the ICO price.

Important as ever: DYOR as not all ICO's have a genuine solution to a genuine problem. Some may seem like a fantastic solution, but often it is marketing combined with a strong team, and not so much a great working product.

And who am I? I am definitely a nobody Tongue, but still wanted to share my experiences and perhaps save people from thinking of getting on board of the next x100 ICO Smiley

p.s. when a Telegram has over 20k subscribers all screaming 'when lambo' with endless rows of animated gifs, you may also wonder if this is a serious block chain solution which will revolutionize 'x' Smiley
I respext your opinion on why you are quitting ICOs but not all ICOs are the same. Some ICOs are really profitable and that's why there are still many people who are participating with bounties and ICO itself.  There are uncertainties indeed such as things related to scams,failure and so forth. But we can't hide the truth that there are good ICOs which gives benefit to people,particpants and investors.
djkyno

Activity: 798
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 27, 2018, 10:01:07 PM

I think we have to study the ICO project carefully before investing, because it is still a very risky investment even if the project looks good. However there are many people creating wealth by investing in the top successful ICO projects, holding their tokens and selling later when the price reach high levels.
Tamilson

Activity: 1022
Merit: 503

View Profile
April 28, 2018, 12:14:55 AM

Hm, yes. It's interesting point of view. It has the right to exist.
The usual crowdfunding platforms and startups are also full of foolish ideas and bad offers, but they still exist. So, I don't think tat this year is the end of ICO. Our analytics methods should be fastidious.
Ending ICO wasnt the answer about all the issues that surrounding this area of profiteering,what we need is to have a regulatory body that will focus only on every ico that will soon to comes out,this body will regulate the every project befeore they release it,so this will prevent all the necessary inquiries about ico.but we must be particular in every member that will be part of this body because irregularities will happen if now

This is so accurate as eliminating ico won't help end the problem and what we actually need is a regulation that will protect us and our investment from these scammy ico.
It's just sad that years by years ICO had become worst and there are only few that's legit but still it's hard to choose the fresh from the rotten.

Happy Coding Life Smiley
aeternus

Activity: 686
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 28, 2018, 02:16:27 AM

ICO is in fact unpredictable in the presence of future profits. In addition, there is a great risk that it will not take place at all and the money of depositors will be lost.
I really think that the OP is not alone and there are many people that are quitting icos as well, if you think about it there is not much of a reason to invest in icos anymore they offer no anonymity, they are incredibly risky and there is no guarantee that you are going to get any profits at all, so why you should invest in it when you can invest in safer cryptocurrencies and obtain profits that way.
Circles

Activity: 48

View Profile
April 28, 2018, 02:25:05 AM

Which ICO did you invest in? I will definitely be careful with ICOs, especially since now most of them involve KYC. Giving my very private details for something that might cost me money.
airdrophunter

Activity: 434
Merit: 100

The Exchange for EOS Community

View Profile
April 28, 2018, 02:46:32 AM

All those stated in the OP is also the reason why i am disappointed about some ICOs. But what's worst is that when you participated in a very promising ICO that turned out to be a scam midway in the ICO. That really hurts and all your efforts are time are just totally wasted.

|   EOS Exchange   |▌       The Exchange for the EOS Community!       |   EOSex   |
                          ICO: 15th October to 20th November  |  Free EXP Tokens: Join Bounty!                          
Whitepaper                 ANN Thread                 Telegram                 Twitter                 Mobile
MainIbem

Activity: 1344
Merit: 385

#SWGT PRE-SALE IS LIVE

View Profile
April 28, 2018, 03:45:52 AM

The ICO space is a free one, leading the decentralisation of payments. Therefore every Tom, Dick and Harry had found there way there. But there are still great projects being launched each day. What you need do is to take a deeper look into the project being prompted for the ICO and you will know which one will be great in the future. Because all of the ecosystems being built for these products are not yet mature.

.SWG.io.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄

▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄

▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█

``█████████████████▄▄
``````▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄
````````````````````▀██▄
```▀▀▀▀``▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄███
``````▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄``▄███
``▄▄▄▄▄▄▄```▄▄▄▄▄``▄███
``````````````````▄██▀
```````````████████████▄
````````````````````▀▀███
`````````▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄████
```▄▄▄``▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄`````███
`▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄``▄▄▄▄▄▄`````███
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀████
```````````````````▄▄████
``▀▀▀▀▀``▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████
██``███████████████▀▀

FIRST LISTING
CONFIRMED

alisa20172020

Activity: 149

View Profile
April 28, 2018, 04:29:32 AM

I'm no longer thinking about investing in ICO, I took part in several projects last year, most of them lost, and two projects haven't entered the exchange until now. I think most of the current ICO projects are going to be dumped after entering the stock exchange. At this stage, it will not be a good time to join ICO.
cahgantenx

Activity: 84

View Profile
April 28, 2018, 04:52:15 AM

the purpose of investing in ICO is to seek massive profits. ICO investment should also have good luck because many ICO are scam. Must dare to speculate to achieve big profits. I think so
bristlefront

Activity: 225

View Profile
April 28, 2018, 05:19:30 AM

We are oblige to wait for the ICO price to back to its original after a dump after the ICO is finished. It sucks but I have no choice since I'm not yet experienced in trading digital assets. If you are willing to wait for the price to be back at initial then wait at your own risk.

KeijiN

Activity: 294

View Profile
April 28, 2018, 05:25:34 AM

There is still many good projects, just this days is harder to find those. but still people are developing a great projects here.
newbie-hero

Activity: 518
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 28, 2018, 10:34:42 AM

ICO is in fact unpredictable in the presence of future profits. In addition, there is a great risk that it will not take place at all and the money of depositors will be lost.

Although I also used to invest in ICOs before now I have quitted doing these things as well. It is a very risky stuff as for me - you can lose everything.
binhvo1505

Activity: 728
Merit: 11

https://streamies.io/

View Profile
April 28, 2018, 11:00:26 AM

I decided to quit ICO's. From December till now I invested about 5 eth into several ICO's. Invest what you can miss, this is what was able to miss.

Right now the first few of my ICO's have reached the exchanges. Most are under performing, but this is related to the overall dip (can be read everywhere). I understand, but ICO token economics have changed also.

• massive hardcaps
  • most is sold in pre-sale to big investors, leaving scraps for crowdsale
  • much attention to marketing, less to working product or realistic time lines
  • immediately available on EtherDelta and IDEX, sure sign of little interest in token economics/future
  • no lock on pre-sale tokens, whales take their x2, x3 or x-whatever as soon as possible (I would probably have done the same). Prices drop to below ICO price.
  • too many ICO's without distinctive differences.
  • too many ICO's in general
  • too much tokens reserved for team/marketing
  • many ICO's don't even have a crowdsale anymore (which perhaps is a good thing as the little investors are protected this way)
  • ICO prizes are quite high. 1eth = 1000/4000 tokens is pretty common, but with a hc of 40 million, this will not easily go x10 or more.

I was 'unlucky' to miss out on a few ICO's besides the ones I was able to participate in. Afterwards I am glad, since I was able to pick most up at a fraction of the ICO price.

Important as ever: DYOR as not all ICO's have a genuine solution to a genuine problem. Some may seem like a fantastic solution, but often it is marketing combined with a strong team, and not so much a great working product.

And who am I? I am definitely a nobody Tongue, but still wanted to share my experiences and perhaps save people from thinking of getting on board of the next x100 ICO Smiley

p.s. when a Telegram has over 20k subscribers all screaming 'when lambo' with endless rows of animated gifs, you may also wonder if this is a serious block chain solution which will revolutionize 'x' Smiley
I understand the meaning that you convey. Actually it is quite similar to my thinking. There are a lot of ICO projects created, but most of them have only one function - transfer money. If the Crypto market has 1,000 coins in the same function, then everything will become chaotic? I feel that ICO projects at the moment are very puzzling.

S T R E A M I E S -  Streaming in Anonimity  -  No rules
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ●●     Whitepaper Released    ●● ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
DISCORD    -    BITCOINTALK    -    WEBSITE    -    EXCHANGE
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 »
  Print  

Jump to: