Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 10:11:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitburner Fury - Hashrate Protection  (Read 250118 times)
TXSteve

Activity: 342
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 11:57:08 PM

Well I got 2 boards today

-- no usb cables
-- no fan
-- only one board with canbus terminators
-- the usb connector on one board fell off, looks like a cold solder joint, can't really see any solder on the pins

how you going to fix this cryptx?  Do I need to file a paypal complaint or do you have a return/replacement procedure?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mgio

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 12:21:53 AM
Last edit: October 10, 2013, 12:46:42 AM by mgio

I'm not sure how many people have gotten their miners though but I'm not terribly happy with them so far. I ordered a 8-board miner. It arrive today.

Here is my situation so far:

- THREE of the eight boards have micro-USB connectors that just came right off. I know they say to be careful with them, and I was as careful as I could be, but the weigh of a USB cable alone is enough to detach them from the board. They are only held on there by tiny traces. The feet should have been soldered to but it doesn't look like they were on the boards I have. These three boards are completely unusable!! You might suggest I could use the CANBUS but I can't because of the next issue:

- No CANBUS cable was included in my 8-board kit! This means that I had to use a 8-port hub and connect each board individually with USB cables. I spent $140 on cables today at RadioShack. I know I could get them cheaper online, but I couldn't afford to wait. Every minute that I'm not hashing is money lost. I can't upgrade the firmware on the 3 broken boards to use CANBUS because they have broken USB connectors and you need to upgrade the firmware first anyways. If anyone has any suggestions on how I can upgrade the firmware without USB, I'd be glad to hear them.

- One of my boards has the heatsink incorrectly mounted and blocks the holes for the metal rod standoffs. Fortunately, I was able to unscrew it and I realize it was simply mounted backwards. I flipped it around and it was fine.

- Many of the connector pins were bent during shipping. Some so badly that they shorted out against each other. I had to carefully bend them all back before I turned it on.

- The whole setup is extremely fragile. Like I said before, the weight of the cables is enough to break the device.

- Performance seems to be about 48 GH/s per board at 100w. Much less than expected. I was hoping for a minimum of 400 GH/s and it looks like it's going to be a little bit less than that. The power consumption is what I'm most unhappy about though. I haven't upgraded the firmware at all yet. Will that boost the hashrate or improve power consumption at all?

- I sent a message using the form on the asic-hardware.com website but I haven't heard anything yet. I'd like to exchange my 3 broken boards and get a CANBUS cable. If that isn't possible, I'd like to send the whole damn thing back and get a refund.

mgio

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 12:45:07 AM

Thanks! I didn't notice the screws there before.
scotjam

Activity: 269

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 12:45:55 AM

- No CANBUS cable was included in my 8-board kit! This means that I had to use a 8-port hub and connect each board individually with USB cables. I spent $140 on cables today at RadioShack. I know I could get them cheaper online, but I couldn't afford to wait. Every minute that I'm not hashing is money lost. I can't upgrade the firmware on the 3 broken boards to use CANBUS because they have broken USB connectors and you need to upgrade the firmware first anyways. If anyone has any suggestions on how I can upgrade the firmware without USB, I'd be glad to hear them.

If anyone wants to avoid this problem and buy some in advance, I ordered some CANBUS cables for my (now cancelled) bitburner XX orders; I have 4 cables and would be happy to sell them to anyone in the UK (or elsewhere but shipping would take longer / be more expensive) for not much more than cost (c. £12 inc. shipping for the lot within the UK, unless you need expedited shipping). Could also do collection in person in central London for £10.

It looks like they'd work for bitburner fury boards (seems to be the same interface) and I'd hate to see them go to waste.

scotjam
mgio

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 12:50:37 AM

If anyone wants to avoid this problem and buy some in advance, I ordered some CANBUS cables for my (now cancelled) bitburner XX orders; I have 4 cables and would be happy to sell them to anyone in the UK (or elsewhere but shipping would take longer / be more expensive) for not much more than cost (c. £12 inc. shipping for the lot within the UK, unless you need expedited shipping). Could also do collection in person in central London for £10.

It looks like they'd work for bitburner fury boards (seems to be the same interface) and I'd hate to see them go to waste.

scotjam

If you can ship them FedEx International (so they arrive in 2 days) and ship them out tomorrow. I'll give you 1 BTC for a cable (including shipping). Unless shipping is even more, in which case I'll add some more on to it.
TXSteve

Activity: 342

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 01:27:20 AM

mgio -- you can run them without flashing -- those instructions were for the old bitburners, these Fury's don't need to be flashed initially

However I am in the same situation as you, we can't do any firmware upgrades for the cards where the usb connector fell off, but they will run with the canbus connectors, at least mine are

also no cryptx reponse here,  very unprofessional

good luck on your setup
mgio

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 04:31:39 AM

mgio -- you can run them without flashing -- those instructions were for the old bitburners, these Fury's don't need to be flashed initially

However I am in the same situation as you, we can't do any firmware upgrades for the cards where the usb connector fell off, but they will run with the canbus connectors, at least mine are

also no cryptx reponse here,  very unprofessional

good luck on your setup

That's great to hear! Now I just got to get my hands on a CANBUS cable I can run my 3 damaged boards. Someone here is selling me an extra one but its going to be rough waiting till next week to get it.
I wish I knew the specs on the cable and connectors so I could just overnight one from Digikey. I might just take a guess and order some parts and anyways and see if it works.

It's also good to hear (in a way) that I'm not the only one who has had a USB connector fall off.

I've got it hashing with 5 of my 8 boards right now. Average hashrate is about 240 GH/s. Power consumption is 500w almost exactly. I'm using a 1000w OCZ 80+ gold power supply.

It looks like a mess but it's working:

mtbitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 876
Merit: 1000

Etherscan.io

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 04:33:04 AM
Last edit: October 10, 2013, 04:43:10 AM by mtbitcoin

Just to report. I received my order today. However instead of my original order of 2 boards, I only receive 1 board  Sad

The box came with a single fan and usb cable, no screws ...sigh...

Have sent in an email, hopefully this gets taken care off quickly  

EtherScan::Ethereum Block Explorer | BlockScan::Coming Soon
someone42

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

Chris Chua

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 05:11:22 AM

That's great to hear! Now I just got to get my hands on a CANBUS cable I can run my 3 damaged boards. Someone here is selling me an extra one but its going to be rough waiting till next week to get it.
I wish I knew the specs on the cable and connectors so I could just overnight one from Digikey. I might just take a guess and order some parts and anyways and see if it works.
The cable should be a straight-through (pin 1 to pin 1, pin 2 to pin 2, ..., pin 10 to pin 10) flat ribbon cable with 0.05 inch pitch. If you have one with >10 wires, you can just tear off all but 10. The connectors should be female sockets, 2 rows of 5 pins, 0.1 inch between each pin (you probably already knew that from looking at the board), IDC termination. Something like this: http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/CWR-210-10-0203/CSR10S-ND/1122565 should do.
mruiter

Activity: 281

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 05:51:34 AM

Just to share the setting i got the most out of my two boards.
Did not use CAN because if one board dies it looks like it effects performance of all (at least with my cgminer)

--avalon-options 115200:64:10:d:290 --bitburner-voltage 1300

Board 1 gets an average of 40Ghash
Board 2 gets an average of 43Ghash

When i put voltage higher it shuts down the miners one by one as overheat protection.
(And it's in my server room with airco on 18 degrees)

When i put freq to 295 board one dies so that effect is bigger then the performance i get on board 2 (Which is 1Ghash)

there is no way to get it anywhere near the 64 hash protection with latest firmware and custom build git pull from manual.
PSU is a 1200Watt from corsair, so power enough to blow boards to kingdom come if they want.

❘|❘ ICONOMI  Fund Management Platform
  LINK TO ICO | LINK TO DISCUSSION
mgio

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 06:05:54 AM

The cable should be a straight-through (pin 1 to pin 1, pin 2 to pin 2, ..., pin 10 to pin 10) flat ribbon cable with 0.05 inch pitch. If you have one with >10 wires, you can just tear off all but 10. The connectors should be female sockets, 2 rows of 5 pins, 0.1 inch between each pin (you probably already knew that from looking at the board), IDC termination. Something like this: http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/CWR-210-10-0203/CSR10S-ND/1122565 should do.

This is what I already ordered: http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?WT.z_header=search_go&lang=en&site=us&keywords=S9286-ND&x=-1228&y=-51&formaction=on

I guessed at the pitch since I had no way of measuring it. Seems like I guessed correctly. I also ordered this ribbon cable:

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?WT.z_header=search_go&lang=en&site=us&keywords=MC10M-5-ND%09&x=-1228&y=-51&formaction=on
Min€r

Activity: 359

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 08:43:33 AM

WTF - where is my order? I should get it last week & again nothing happend - no answer to mail mail & PM.   Angry

BTC Sticker: German | English  
BTC Promo Sticker Sets: German | English
1P7fvQGyNx2EwUD7zVfY8jvDFjfA5Sq59b
jlsminingcorp

Activity: 493

Hooray for non-equilibrium thermodynamics!

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 08:51:00 AM

I'm not sure if anybody has said this already, but thanks for all of the help and advice you've been giving on this thread someone42. It's great to have the technical support and it makes me a lot more comfortable about this venture.

Bitcoin can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards.
BitFury ASIC miner hosted group buy [DONE MINING]
tarmi
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 09:18:20 AM

WTF - where is my order? I should get it last week & again nothing happend - no answer to mail mail & PM.   Angry

+1

order #115x, ordered before september 17th, nothing yet.

mccampser

Activity: 290

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 09:23:19 AM

+1

+1
order #116x
Puppet
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1040

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 10:21:00 AM

cf the breaking USB connectors; this is something common apparently, I saw the same is happening with a completely unrelated product (multirotor flight controller) where most of these microusb connectors fell off.

To prevent it from happening: just put some hot glue or even epoxy glue under and around the connector.

If it already happened, anyone with some basic soldering skills should be able to fix it. If you are not comfortable with a soldering iron, find a friend or shop to do it for you.

BenTuras

Activity: 826
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 11:05:20 AM

That's great to hear! Now I just got to get my hands on a CANBUS cable I can run my 3 damaged boards.
I also didn't have a Canbus cable with my first avalon bitburner set.
I solved it by cutting the connectors of two old ide cable into 8 connectors of 2x5 pins.
(Just cut it with a Stanley knife between the 5th and 6th pin of one row)

I splitted one ide cable to 10/30 wires and then pushed the 10 wire cable onto 2x5 pins on the 8 connectors.
Ugly as hell, but it worked first time.

Also, for the bitburners you can't have a 10 connector cable on 8 boards.
The number of connectors must be the same as the number of boards.
And don't forget the 2 jumpers at both ends of the Canbus.

I am selling in stock OneStringMiner boards, based on the Bitfury chips. Have a look here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=495536.0
joee

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 11:46:56 AM
Last edit: October 10, 2013, 03:43:23 PM by joee

WTF - where is my order? I should get it last week & again nothing happend - no answer to mail mail & PM.   Angry

+1

+1
order #116x

same here, #114x, ordered and paid before september 17th.
2nd week of october is almost over  Angry

edit: order picked up by fedex today
Roy Badami

Activity: 563

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 01:07:38 PM

Also, for the bitburners you can't have a 10 connector cable on 8 boards.

As long as you use use the connectors at both end of the CANBUS cable, unused connectors shouldn't matter
RoadStress
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 01:15:45 PM

cryptx please post some updates about deliveries and refunds! You promised me shipping in the second week of October!

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 »
  Print  

Jump to: