Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 04:43:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 ... 253 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Alpha Technology Litecoin (Scrypt) ASIC Miner Order Batch 1 Now!  (Read 529010 times)
Bobsurplus
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

Making money since I was in the womb! @emc2whale

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 03:44:49 PM

Fiaz, quick question for you.

If all goes as expected, I assume you will start working of more powerful machines, My questions is this:

Will first batch clients get dibs on your next batch. It would suck if we were forgotten when pre orders are taken for batch 2.

Already Answered:

This message is to all batch 1 customers, regarding you having preference in future releases. This will indeed be the case, you will all be given priority in subsequent batches and our future products. It is because of you that this has been made possible so thank you from everyone at Alpha Technology.

Regards,

Fiaz.

Thanks dude, I must have missed it.

coin@coin
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 08:17:46 PM

This was made possible because of two reasons:

1)   The average hashing power per chip has been beefed up significantly from our estimated 300Khs per chip to 800Khs per chip and thereby reducing the number of chips required to reach the required hashes.

2)   Earlier we were planning to stack miner boards vertically one over the other, however after the reduction in the number of chips we decided to go horizontally and increase the depth of the 1u chassis in order to accommodate the boards horizontally. The boards will be connected to each other through ribbon cables. By stacking boards horizontally thermal design improves as stacking of boards vertically will have passed the heat to all the boards which were above them. With efficient heat sinks having sizeable fins heat can be dissipated in the chassis by channelizing the heated air properly with the directed fans. If we need to we can also go for conduction cooling through the chassis itself.

A technical drawing will be shared in due course once we have finalized both the board and enclosure sizes.

Fiaz.

Great news! +1
RHA

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 10:13:06 PM

Fiaz, it's a real pleasure to read your detailed explanations and to watch this development process.

What are the estimations of shipping speed? How long time do you expect to take between the first and the last shipments of this batch?
Bobsurplus
Legendary

Activity: 1008

Making money since I was in the womb! @emc2whale

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 10:16:49 PM

Fiaz, it's a real pleasure to read your detailed explanations and to watch this development process.

What are the estimations of shipping speed? How long time do you expect to take between the first and the last shipments of this batch?

I too would like to know this?

I think they should all go out the same day!
vesperwillow

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 03:20:46 PM

This was made possible because of two reasons:

1)   The average hashing power per chip has been beefed up significantly from our estimated 300Khs per chip to 800Khs per chip and thereby reducing the number of chips required to reach the required hashes.

2)   Earlier we were planning to stack miner boards vertically one over the other, however after the reduction in the number of chips we decided to go horizontally and increase the depth of the 1u chassis in order to accommodate the boards horizontally. The boards will be connected to each other through ribbon cables. By stacking boards horizontally thermal design improves as stacking of boards vertically will have passed the heat to all the boards which were above them. With efficient heat sinks having sizeable fins heat can be dissipated in the chassis by channelizing the heated air properly with the directed fans. If we need to we can also go for conduction cooling through the chassis itself.

A technical drawing will be shared in due course once we have finalized both the board and enclosure sizes.

I do look forward to this technical drawing. I appreciate your response, but again, increasing the density of the chips and the speed, requires more power. More power = more heat, unless there's a significant catalyst for greater efficiency.

While I don't believe it impossible, I do find it unlikely to be 'that simple', especially for air cooling to solve the problem.

I look forward to being shown otherwise, of course.

elixir

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 03:48:20 PM

what would asic mining do to thr price of litecoin.

OPEC oc2E9cQ4StgaMW2a18pKuZGe5h9RZdLL9c

Non nobis solum, sed omnibus! - Franko

Ɖ ~ DSNJ49NdZM4KjLHfPSYEGWKRn7wSC4bWqi
michielnl

Activity: 123

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 06:30:47 PM
Last edit: January 23, 2014, 06:47:54 PM by michielnl

On Dec 17 - https://alpha-t.net/news/development-update-17122013/
"we have shown all hash rates as minimum expected figures."

On Dec 24 - https://alpha-t.net/news/registration-open-updates/
"Due to the previous errors of other ASIC companies, hash rate and shipping we have quoted are based on worst case scenarios. We expect to out-perform these quotations. All our boards will very likely have better hash rates than estimated/published. The published hash rates will be guaranteed as bare minimum if not better."

Hey there, we have optimized our ASIC RTL design in such a way that we will be able to achieve higher performance with a very low number of chips, thus the density of chips per machine will be significantly reduced.

Following your own statements, I herewith propose an alternative scenario :-)

Keep the same density of chips per machine and increase the total performance / hashrate per machine :-)
nightengale

Activity: 574

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 07:02:19 PM

"Due to the previous errors of other ASIC companies, hash rate and shipping we have quoted are based on worst case scenarios. We expect to out-perform these quotations. All our boards will very likely have better hash rates than estimated/published. The published hash rates will be guaranteed as bare minimum if not better."

Hey there, we have optimized our ASIC RTL design in such a way that we will be able to achieve higher performance with a very low number of chips, thus the density of chips per machine will be significantly reduced.

Keep the same density of chips per machine and increase the total performance / hashrate per machine :-)

I was wondering about this and asked the question. They claimed the machines would still over perform.

Bleh -- they make more money by reducing components, we get less hashing power.
Its About Sharing
Legendary

Activity: 1442

Antifragile

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 10:19:31 PM

I was wondering about this and asked the question. They claimed the machines would still over perform.

Bleh -- they make more money by reducing components, we get less hashing power.

If they can do anything like the precedent that KNC has done, they will really go down in history. I mean KNC delivered 550Gh/s when the machines were originally spec'd at 350/s or so (300-400). That is 57% above spec. So, a 5Mh/s machine would be an almost 8Mh/s machine. That would be great and to be honest, looking at the hash rate rise, it would be in line with what KNC did to maintain profitability for the customers.

I'm enjoying the posts from Fiaz, much appreciated.

IAS

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
michielnl

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 05:46:32 AM

If they can do anything like the precedent that KNC has done, they will really go down in history. I mean KNC delivered 550Gh/s when the machines were originally spec'd at 350/s or so (300-400). That is 57% above spec. So, a 5Mh/s machine would be an almost 8Mh/s machine. That would be great and to be honest, looking at the hash rate rise, it would be in line with what KNC did to maintain profitability for the customers.

Hi, I fully agree! If this would happen, I am sure that most batch 1 customers (and all non existing clients) would make sure they order for batch 2!
(just like what happened with KNC)  We all like companies who underpromise and overdeliver :-) Maybe you can become the KNC for Scrypt!

Fiaz, thanks for updates so far! ( I guess we all cannot wait to start mining with the maximum hash power available :-) )
michielnl

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 05:51:18 AM

5a) At this stage we do not require investors for funding, we already had enough funds to get this project started with our development partners, and the rest of the process via pre order funds.

Another argument.
Since pre-order clients helped to invest/fund, you may want to consider to provide full benefits/return to these clients:-)
benjamin07

Activity: 223
Merit: 116

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 01:28:58 PM

Hi Fiaz I have the following questions:

1. Why is your warranty only 6 months? shows lack of confidence in the product, can you make it at least a year (note BFL have lifetime warranty, meaning for as long as they sell the product + 1 year).

2. Someone has to raise this point. Alpha-t has acknowledged a million times that the pre-order money is mostly to fund you, so can we get an invoice for that part of the payment and then you send another invoice totally new? Frankly if you send the product with the invoice showing the full amount paid to you, the customs duty will be calculated accordingly. It does not make much difference to me personally either way but anyone think this is fair? The value on the invoice is not the value of the product. The product's value is less, it is the original amount minus whatever Alpha-t has spent on setting up shop as you keep saying. Do not make a false declaration as you will be banned, just make a correct statement that reflects the fact.

3. Will you be including the correct type of power cable to each country? I know in the UK people fit in the plug themselves, but if such things come through customs this way, the product will be declared non-conforming and withheld. Getting stuff out of customs can take something like 20 days, if you can be very careful about that you will help people avoid lots of trouble: correct invoice, declaration of conformity and correct type of plug.

4. Can you provide 2 Ethernet ports instead of one, so units can be easily cascaded?

5. Can you make the cover easily removable and include a fan? regardless of how good you think the thermal performance is, you will be testing it in a lab with AC. Some places have 50 degrees ambient. Would be nice to have an internal cut-off safety measure as well.

6. Can your engineers in India look at  "Gridseed" dot com and provide you with a technical comment you can pass on. Not sure why some people here are "afraid" of ASIC for scrypt while it is already out there and by the dozen per board.

7. Can you please give people the option if we want to use DHL. Please don't make decisions on the behalf of others in this regard. It may cost a bit extra but they deliver 10 times faster than anything and anyone else and you pay customs duty to Them (they get your stuff out much quicker and time is LTC).

Thanks.
vesperwillow

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 01:39:14 PM

4. Can you provide 2 Ethernet ports instead of one, so units can be easily cascaded?

While this seems like a good idea, if one rig dies, it could end up killing the daisy chain of other systems behind it.

$8 gets you a 4 port switch, $12 gets you a 16 port switch, etc, etc.. much better.

benjamin07

Activity: 223
Merit: 116

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 12:09:56 AM

While this seems like a good idea, if one rig dies, it could end up killing the daisy chain of other systems behind it.

$8 gets you a 4 port switch, $12 gets you a 16 port switch, etc, etc.. much better.

You are right, I was assuming the product would be high quality  Smiley
coinits
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1019

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 12:29:58 AM

With these pre-sales you are not really buying a rig, you are financing product research and development. The business model is suited better for the developer than the financier.

Jump you fuckers! | The thing about smart motherfuckers is they sound like crazy motherfuckers to dumb motherfuckers. | My sig space for rent for 0.01 btc per week.
Cygnify

Activity: 140

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 03:57:58 AM

Will there be any more opportunities to secure a unit before the launch date? Or are all preorders filled?

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓    ▶▶▶▶ Get Your Free Tokens Now ◀◀◀◀  First PoS Smart Contract Token
    PoSToken       Free Airdrop ●  No-ICO ●  100% Annual Interest First Year
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓    ANN ●  WebSite  ●  Twitter  ●  Slack  ●  Whitepaper
verloren

Activity: 323
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 04:59:44 AM

Will there be any more opportunities to secure a unit before the launch date? Or are all preorders filled?
ATM, best bet would probably be for someone selling their slot in the queue.
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 05:58:04 AM

Yup, and the closer to delivery date, the more expensive it gets.

vesperwillow

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 06:08:46 AM

For what it's worth guys, after reviewing some competitor hardware, I retract previous statements I've made in saying that it seems hard to believe.

I can believe 5mh in a 1U system as I've seen some equipment doing it.

I think it's possible they can stuff 25mh worth in a 1u, but that the thermal load won't be forgiving.

Now that I've seen the hardware is achievable, I hope this company can build my confidence up in them. I'm also awaiting a PM from Fiaz, hope he responds ...

anderl

Activity: 714

View Profile
January 26, 2014, 06:23:39 AM
Last edit: January 26, 2014, 07:29:57 AM by anderl

Your over you are is common grammar mistake in UK.
Sorry, but it is no mistake and it is you who needs to correct his grammar.  He said "Hey I can't really answer your questions" which is correct, he is not saying "You're" or "you" as that would not make any sense at all.  In this instance he used to correct wording.

I am also looking forward to fiaz answering a few of these questions put forth by crazyearner.  Especially the one mentioning visiting the premises of your business.

Read again...

Hey I can't really answer your questions without knowing them. Your welcome to PM me.

Fiaz.

Looks like you forgot to log out of your alt account again.

Fiaz can you report on why the user kab is posting using your signature "Fiaz"?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 ... 253 »
  Print  

Jump to: