Bitcoin Forum
May 15, 2024, 07:52:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 ... 253 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Alpha Technology Litecoin (Scrypt) ASIC Miner Order Batch 1 Now!  (Read 529010 times)
wilson1973

Activity: 107
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 02:16:59 PM

people in the uk need remeber that the asic will be well over 6k with the vat.

It would cost at least 12k to build a gpu mining rig in the uk for 25mh/s.

If you are VAT registered like me it isn't an issue.

I hope to be running both in parallel.
Bobsurplus
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

Making money since I was in the womb! @emc2whale

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 03:10:23 PM

Fiaz, care to explain this, its not to inspiring my friend.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=408722.0

Hi there, firstly just to reiterate our office is for project management purposes, all units are manufactured in Bangalore. Now on to those pictures, our office wasn’t finished at the time they were taken, so they are quite old and as such irrelevant. In the interest of transparency and as a gesture of goodwill for the community I have decided to take a few quick photos of us:

Kind regards,

Fiaz.

Fiaz, That is all nice and well but the pictures were taken yesterday, not "quite old" as you say.

Care to run out and take some pics yourself from outside the building, looking in, just like the pictures supposedly taken yesterday.
stokecrypto

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 03:13:05 PM

#

but you can sell your rigs for at least 60% of original price, more money begin with but less risky
wilson1973

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 03:39:35 PM

#

but you can sell your rigs for at least 60% of original price, more money begin with but less risky

GPU or ASIC, I want to mine until it breaks, a broken GPU and a broken ASIC has the same value.

If by the time they arrive the difficulty deosn't match the rewards I'll go and mine another scrypt coin....
ForumbotNOT

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 03:55:45 PM

does it work?
vesperwillow

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 04:00:01 PM

If by the time they arrive the difficulty deosn't match the rewards I'll go and mine another scrypt coin....

Guy after my own heart. Run it till the wheels fall off.. then push it further down the road.

Acrobat

Activity: 60

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 04:50:16 PM

Fiaz, That is all nice and well but the pictures were taken yesterday, not "quite old" as you say.

Care to run out and take some pics yourself from outside the building, looking in, just like the pictures supposedly taken yesterday.

Nope, timestamp on the photo's is: 10-1-2014 15:51:01
Bobsurplus
Legendary

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 04:54:19 PM

On what photo?
Acrobat

Activity: 60

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 05:58:28 PM

On what photo?

The originals posted to http://imgur.com/a/Cd0Gb
Bobsurplus
Legendary

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 05:59:10 PM

On what photo?

The originals posted to http://imgur.com/a/Cd0Gb

Thanks for clearing that up.
Its About Sharing
Legendary

Activity: 1442

Antifragile

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 08:01:38 PM

1U cases usually have smaller fans, which are much noisier. 1U cases require special PSU rather than plain ATA PSU, don't they?
I think it would be better to use 2U or 3U case, to have quieter device, with standard PSU,
and with margins (more space), which would allow to enlarge size or number of modules if their hashing speed is worse than expected.

Using "margins on margins" worked well for KnCMiner. The others provided less margins and it was often the source of their problems.

You brought up something I had been wondering about: What is the noise level of the 1U units? Really, an answer in Db would be great. (A range for now).
I would imagine most people will be running these out of their homes and noise will be a HUGE factor.

I just bought a LTC mining computer with an AMD R9-290 GPU in it - NOISY (via terrible design). I had to use an aftermarket fan/cooler to bring the level down (a lot). Warranty is gone when you do that.

So, while things are still being finalized - Alpha Tech - Can you take noise into consideration? Most appreciated.

Its about sharing

I just built a 4u rig with 2 x r9 290, having 2 x 80mm fans and 2 x 120mm fans, It's circa 60db. I would imagine it would not be too dissimilar.

Rig number 2 under way with 3 of the r9 290's in....

With due respect you picked the WORST card to base your example on, as I clearly stated above. The R9 290 is the Absolutely WORST designed card when it comes to noise level as well as poorly designed when it comes to cooling. There is a reason my altered card is BOTH quiet and cool (13-20 degrees cooler than stock!!!). The R9 290 is made to run at 95 degrees (or should I say "withstand") as they apparently used the cheapest design possible - which is why they "made it to run" at 95°.

Alpha Tech can EASILY build a fairly quiet rig. The key is in the fans combined with an optimal cooling and air flow design. It is not rocket science and the work has basically already been done. (Just like the aftermarket R9 290 cooling system.)

In this day and age, there is NO reason to have a rig running above 20-25Db's, depending on the level of cooling needed (and perhaps if the overclocking is huge). If we start making these rigs impossible to
keep in houses, we do mining a great disservice imo.

IAS

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
vesperwillow

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 08:18:39 PM

With due respect you picked the WORST card to base your example on, as I clearly stated above. The R9 290 is the Absolutely WORST designed card when it comes to noise level as well as poorly designed when it comes to cooling. There is a reason my altered card is BOTH quiet and cool (13-20 degrees cooler than stock!!!). The R9 290 is made to run at 95 degrees (or should I say "withstand") as they apparently used the cheapest design possible - which is why they "made it to run" at 95°.

Alpha Tech can EASILY build a fairly quiet rig. The key is in the fans combined with an optimal cooling and air flow design. It is not rocket science and the work has basically already been done. (Just like the aftermarket R9 290 cooling system.)

In this day and age, there is NO reason to have a rig running above 20-25Db's, depending on the level of cooling needed (and perhaps if the overclocking is huge). If we start making these rigs impossible to

IAS

^- On point. My farm is approaching 25mh and you can't even tell the systems are on.

I put one in my bedroom. My girl can't sleep if so much as an ant walks on the floor and farts, it'll wake her up. She didn't even realize I had a mining rig in the bedroom until I showed her.

Prolimatech MK 26 coolers, Blue Vortex 140mm fans = 18db of mining fury @ 50-65*C overclocked. The only noise you ever hear is the occasional tinge from PSU components heating up and cooling down.

wilson1973

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 08:27:54 PM
Last edit: January 27, 2014, 08:37:56 PM by wilson1973

1U cases usually have smaller fans, which are much noisier. 1U cases require special PSU rather than plain ATA PSU, don't they?
I think it would be better to use 2U or 3U case, to have quieter device, with standard PSU,
and with margins (more space), which would allow to enlarge size or number of modules if their hashing speed is worse than expected.

Using "margins on margins" worked well for KnCMiner. The others provided less margins and it was often the source of their problems.

You brought up something I had been wondering about: What is the noise level of the 1U units? Really, an answer in Db would be great. (A range for now).
I would imagine most people will be running these out of their homes and noise will be a HUGE factor.

I just bought a LTC mining computer with an AMD R9-290 GPU in it - NOISY (via terrible design). I had to use an aftermarket fan/cooler to bring the level down (a lot). Warranty is gone when you do that.

So, while things are still being finalized - Alpha Tech - Can you take noise into consideration? Most appreciated.

Its about sharing

I just built a 4u rig with 2 x r9 290, having 2 x 80mm fans and 2 x 120mm fans, It's circa 60db. I would imagine it would not be too dissimilar.

IAS

Worse case scenario, best case scenario. I purely provided an answer to the question, it's neither right, nor wrong, it's based on my current setup and thats all. I'm running it in a rack in a data centre, so it's neither here nor there when it comes to how much noise it makes for me. Whilst there is every possibility to make a quiet rig, I still have to wear ear plugs in my server room.

Noise, size, neither are a deciding factor in my equation. It just needs to be built and work well.
wilson1973

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 08:30:39 PM

IAS

^- On point. My farm is approaching 25mh and you can't even tell the systems are on.

I put one in my bedroom. My girl can't sleep if so much as an ant walks on the floor and farts, it'll wake her up. She didn't even realize I had a mining rig in the bedroom until I showed her.

Prolimatech MK 26 coolers, Blue Vortex 140mm fans = 18db of mining fury @ 50-65*C overclocked. The only noise you ever hear is the occasional tinge from PSU components heating up and cooling down.

That sounds cool (excuse the pun). Are you running yours in open enclosures or closed chassis ?
mmilch
Copper Member

Activity: 343
Merit: 11

Secure automatic trading trade-mate.io

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2014, 08:41:08 PM

On the day when this 5MH/s card could come to my house (3Q Huh), R9 290X price can be 1,5-2 times lower than now, and there could be new GPU cards much more MH/power effective. I'm not sure is it a great deal

Besides.... it's useless for the other purposes

⚫ ⚫ ⚫ Make even more profit on crypto trading with secure automatic trading https://trade-mate.io ⚫ ⚫ ⚫
Its About Sharing
Legendary

Antifragile

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 08:48:45 PM

Its about sharing

IAS

Worse case scenario, best case scenario. I purely provided an answer to the question, it's neither right, nor wrong, it's based on my current setup and thats all. I'm running it in a rack in a data centre, so it's neither here nor there when it comes to how much noise it makes for me. Whilst there is every possibility to make a quiet rig, I still have to wear ear plugs in my server room.

Noise, size, neither are a deciding factor in my equation. It just needs to be built and work well.

Not sure if you missed my point or not. I have the same card as you and it is a GREAT card for hashing but a terrible card regarding noise. It is louder than everything that came before it.
So, when you said

it made no sense, as you picked the LOUDEST card regarding noise. Am I misunderstanding your bolded statement? The Alpha-Tech rig should be nothing like the R9 290 noise wise.

IAS

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
Its About Sharing
Legendary

Antifragile

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 08:55:37 PM

On the day when this 5MH/s card could come to my house (3Q Huh), R9 290X price can be 1,5-2 times lower than now. I'm not sure is it a great deal

How much energy and how many cards would you require to get 5Mh/s from R9 290 cards?
Answer - At roughly 870Kh/s it would take you 6 cards (roughly 350X6= 2100 bucks). 6 cards would use 1800 watts of energy.

So, by waiting as energy just makes it cost prohibitive where I (and many others are to Scrypt mine) I can get 5Mh/s for 1350 bucks and use only 80 or so watts of energy.
Of note, though I doubt it continues, is the LTC difficulty is falling hard. Due to Doge or?

Now, I understand that the above is not true for everyone but it is true for many. Also, there is no way I could either handle 1800 additional watts on my current breaker nor handle the
cost of upgrading each of those NOISY cards with upgraded cooling (as they are just no available, though I got lucky and found 1.)

IAS

BTC = Black Swan.
wilson1973

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 08:59:36 PM

Its about sharing

IAS

Not sure if you missed my point or not. I have the same card as you and it is a GREAT card for hashing but a terrible card regarding noise. It is louder than everything that came before it.
So, when you said

it made no sense, as you picked the LOUDEST card regarding noise. Am I misunderstanding your bolded statement? The Alpha-Tech rig should be nothing like the R9 290 noise wise.

IAS

Hey IAS, it's not my bold statement, it's just a statement on my current findings on the only card I use for mining (another three arrived today) and based on my setup and findings. I'm giving an example albeit (and hopefully) at the top of what we can expect.

Let's not get hung up on this it's going to be somewhere between 25db and 60db, I'm not particularly concerned.

Thanks.
wilson1973

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 09:00:40 PM

Guy after my own heart. Run it till the wheels fall off.. then push it further down the road.

Indeed, until the bitter end !
wilson1973

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 09:03:39 PM

On the day when this 5MH/s card could come to my house (3Q Huh), R9 290X price can be 1,5-2 times lower than now. I'm not sure is it a great deal

How much energy and how many cards would you require to get 5Mh/s from R9 290 cards?
Answer - At roughly 870Kh/s it would take you 6 cards (roughly 350X6= 2100 bucks). 6 cards would use 1800 watts of energy.

So, by waiting as energy just makes it cost prohibitive where I (and many others are to Scrypt mine) I can get 5Mh/s for 1350 bucks and use only 80 or so watts of energy.
Of note, though I doubt it continues, is the LTC difficulty is falling hard. Due to Doge or?

Now, I understand that the above is not true for everyone but it is true for many. Also, there is no way I could either handle 1800 additional watts on my current breaker nor handle the
cost of upgrading each of those NOISY cards with upgraded cooling (as they are just no available, though I got lucky and found 1.)

IAS

Agree, am maxed out currently, personally I can't wait to get hold of the Vipers and reduce some of my overheads. Not that I'm selling the GPU's, I will keep them all until they breakdown on me....
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 ... 253 »
  Print  

Jump to: