Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 11:31:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Let There Be Dark! Bitcoin Dark Wallet  (Read 50214 times)
go1111111

Activity: 187
Merit: 162

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 10:06:38 AM

Can someone explain to me what the fear is here? That he would disclose some information to the public?

Read his description of what happened with Bitcoinica that he linked to earlier in this thread. It doesn't seem like he realizes what a huge mistake he made with the security breach, and he doesn't seem to really own up to it. It's more like "oops, oh well.. moving on...". People who take security seriously tend to have a certain mindset (listen to some interviews with the guy who created Armory), and from what I've seen that mindset is lacking in Amir.

Btw, it looks like this is the thread where Amir notified everyone of the breach (or a similar one, hard to tell because I think Bitcoinica was hacked 3 times): https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=93074

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 10:09:00 AM

Can someone explain to me what the fear is here? That he would disclose some information to the public?

Read his description of what happened with Bitcoinica that he linked to earlier in this thread. It doesn't seem like he realizes what a huge mistake he made with the security breach, and he doesn't seem to really own up to it. It's more like "oops, oh well.. moving on...". People who take security seriously tend to have a certain mindset (listen to some interviews with the guy who created Armory), and from what I've seen that mindset is lacking in Amir.

Btw, it looks like this is the thread where Amir notified everyone of the breach (or a similar one, hard to tell because I think Bitcoinica was hacked 3 times): https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=93074

It doesn't explain why someone with such a mindset you describe shouldn't be allowed on that list.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
adamas
Legendary

Activity: 1014
Merit: 1003

VIS ET LIBERTAS

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2013, 10:14:04 AM

We are providing an alternative. With 1% of the BF resources, we will do 10x more development and continue serving the community. Free market ftw.
Yes! You guys are extremely efficient ..
LOL, are you serious  Roll Eyes

"Es ist kein Zeichen geistiger Gesundheit, gut angepasst an eine kranke Gesellschaft zu sein."
The 4ner
aka newbitcoinqtuser

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

R.I.P Silk Road 1.0

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 03:45:15 PM

I still feel that this project lacks a concrete plan. However, I strongly share similar views and have decided to support the project.
As everyone else has stated, please don't disappoint the community. Don't let this turn into another Bitcoinica.
A donation from The 4ner is coming your way.
BadAss.Sx
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1002

Bulletproof VPS/VPN/Email @ BadAss.Sx

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2013, 08:20:54 PM

Just a project to grab some coins together...thats it. Like he said above me, there is no significant plan and also not really a point. BUT, i will be the first who gives his excuse when it comes to a great project.
The 4ner
aka newbitcoinqtuser

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

R.I.P Silk Road 1.0

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 09:12:23 PM

Will this wallet include support for Mac OS 10.9?
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2013, 10:01:55 PM

Interested but not investing... yet.
I wish you every success.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
Alpaca Bob

Activity: 153
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 04:22:39 PM

NSoogleA

That aggregation didn't really work.
Lol I know, but could not find something else!

But the idea behind and the question is real good...

America is out of controle!

For what it's worth: https://plus.google.com/+MikeHearn/posts/LW1DXJ2BK8k

The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks
caedes

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 05:32:26 PM

Regarding bloom filtering you say:

So they take a giant dump on Bloom filtering - which I proposed and partly designed to solve this very problem - then it turns out that their "Obelisk server" doesn't have any alternative solution. It has a cool name but no solutions to difficult privacy problems. So in fact your privacy is much better protected by using the regular P2P protocol, talking to the regular P2P network and uploading a noisy Bloom filter (or sharded set of noisy filters). Too bad Amir regards that scheme as impure, rushed and a "debasement", otherwise he could just use it in Dark Wallet.

We don't discard bloom filtering altogether.

We have discussed about it, but are unsure about using it and would like to investigate other solutions. The zmq encryption is only so good to protect communications with the servers or other clients, but I'm not sure we can use bloom filters in all situations, also I'm not sure they really provide so much privacy unless used with other deniability or  practices to make sure information is not leaked because of for example how you use the program or other patterns that could be traced to de-bloom your transactions.

Anyways that kind of privacy is very important for us, and will make a client taking these things into account. We're making a client (and architecture) that will *care* about your privacy, but want to have some leads open for exploration, like darknet or onion routing... we're making a client here so can think a bit out of the box.

We're making a wallet that knows big brother is out there looking for you, we won't be so dummy as to think the only enemy is the user or the server, you know what happens when you don't make those assumptions.

Also mind that this is not just Amir working here, we have a lot more minds that thanks to this crowdfunding will be focusing on those problems.
Mike Hearn
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 01:20:31 PM

OK, good to hear that.
phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 05:56:40 PM

Vote for Dark Wallet as your favorite Bitcoin Project of Autumn 2013

Only KNCMiner has more votes as of now.
eiliant

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 07:39:40 PM

- You tolerate a dangerous, rather-much-extremely-more-extremely-more-mentally-ill-than-Amir-or-me beast like luke-jr

I'm curious, what's wrong with luke-jr?
Ecurb123

Activity: 182

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 09:44:51 PM

did I hear on lets talk bitcoin that there is going to be some launching event in Milan for Dark Wallet?
hivewallet

Activity: 378
Merit: 325

hivewallet.com

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 10:41:51 PM

did I hear on lets talk bitcoin that there is going to be some launching event in Milan for Dark Wallet?

Planning event.

Hive, a beautiful, secure wallet with an app platform for Mac OS X, Android and Mobile Web. Translators wanted! iOS and OS X devs see BitcoinKit.
Tweets @hivewallet. Skype us here. Donations appreciated at 1HLRg9C1GsfEVH555hgcjzDeas14jen2Cn
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 12:18:40 AM

Planning event.

Milan, italy?

more or less retired.
hivewallet

Activity: 378
Merit: 325

hivewallet.com

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2013, 02:00:15 AM
Last edit: November 15, 2013, 02:57:12 AM by grabhive

Dark Wallet Certification proposal:

Ref: Let There Be Dark!

Greetings from Bitcoin Singapore!

Hive will be attending unSYSTEM's DarkWallet meeting in Milan on the week of the 24th. We propose that the outcome of this meeting be, at minimum, the establishment of a v1 "Dark Wallet Certification", a set of best-practice guidelines for wallets focused on decentralization and anonymity.

This topic is has been opened in order to get the community thinking about what exactly a "Dark Wallet" should be: We assume the use of Tor, CoinJoin, CoinSwap and other such developments. We assume the lack of centralized services wherever possible. We presume that we can evolve ideas about authentication (see the work of John Light, Joe Casico etc)... Still, our ignorance is vast and we would like to come armed at this meeting, with your feedback.

What ideas or thoughts do you all have?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=334241

Hive, a beautiful, secure wallet with an app platform for Mac OS X, Android and Mobile Web. Translators wanted! iOS and OS X devs see BitcoinKit.
Tweets @hivewallet. Skype us here. Donations appreciated at 1HLRg9C1GsfEVH555hgcjzDeas14jen2Cn
genjix
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1072

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 04:23:00 PM

If anyone wants to come participate in development, you're more than welcome.

https://wiki.unsystem.net/index.php/DarkWallet/Meeting_Nov2013

This is the event for starting everything. We have more public talks in the first week of December, and spaces if people need a place to sleep (although it will be quite busy). If you have a proposal for a talk or need a bed then send me a PM. Feel free to visit if you're around.

Our mailing list:

https://mailinglists.dyne.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/unsystem
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 04:28:02 PM

can someone explain to me what would be the purpose of incorporating tor? what benefits would that offer that wouldn't already be achieved by coinjoin?

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
QuantumQrack

Activity: 337
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 04:30:19 PM

I'm not donating even a satoshi until I see some work.
Ecurb123

Activity: 182

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 06:10:45 PM

If anyone wants to come participate in development, you're more than welcome.

https://wiki.unsystem.net/index.php/DarkWallet/Meeting_Nov2013

This is the event for starting everything. We have more public talks in the first week of December, and spaces if people need a place to sleep (although it will be quite busy). If you have a proposal for a talk or need a bed then send me a PM. Feel free to visit if you're around.

Our mailing list:

https://mailinglists.dyne.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/unsystem

I'm not a real developer, but would it be ok if I checked it out?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: