Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:06:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Computer Scientists Prove God Exists  (Read 25207 times)
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2013, 04:01:48 PM

I'm not sure, that having sheep herders as a prerequisite to creation is a scientific way to approach things, especially in the realm of mathematics. This thread is about finding God in logic and I just demonstrated that no matter how you spin it, it is always there. Smiley

But the idea that the universe is just composed of our imagination, and that if we can imagine it, it is real, is not based on any science or logic. The sheep herders were not a prerequisite to creation, they were a prerequisite to making up the mythology fairy tale about a being we call god. And I think what I just demonstrated is that yes, if you spin fantasies to fit your own beliefs and imaginations, you can make your own fantasies and imaginations be whatever the hell you want them to be. That's not a very big discovery. It also has no bearing on science or the real world.

Yes I agree that this universe has me in it. I was born from my parents.

It doesn't explain how you got here at all. Your parents became yours only after the fact. A year before your birth there was no such concept as "your parents", because all people were equally relevant to you at that point.

There was no "me" a year before I was born, and thus no "me" for anyone to be relevant to. I wasn't even half a DNA in my dad's sperm at that time. Hell, I wasn't even part of any cell that was in my dad's body at the time, since most of our body's cells get replaced every 3 to 6 months. At most I was some dirt, ready to feed some plant, that was eventually going to feed some cow or chicken. Obviously not sentient, and especially not me.

The only logical conclusion is that you existed at least as a concept, as an idea, before your physical birth.

Doesn't it take for some conscious brain to form an idea? Who was having me as an idea in their head that far back? I know it wasn't my parents. And even if it was, were they arare of the piece of dirt that was to become a plant that was to become food that was to become my dad that was become sperm that would eventually make me? I highly doubt it.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2013, 04:04:15 PM

And this I agree with you in part.  "Hell" is overused for sure.  The English translators thought they were doing us a service by translating Sheol, Hades into Hell and it causes problems.  I have gone on tirades about the problem this causes on some of my other posts on different threads.  So I totally get that.

That said, eternal damnation is something to be concerned about regardless and it is not a fabrication. 

Wait... did you just say, "You're right, hell is a totally made up place, and it was bad of those people to mess up the translation and make up such a place, but we should still worry about going to hell?" How does that even...  Huh
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2013, 04:08:26 PM

Based on the premise that Gödel's axioms(the stuff proves rely on) is true the conclusions(god exists) is also true. But it's still up to oneself to decide if the axioms are true or not.

Gödel is indeed mind-bending, confusing, and very scary stuff.

So faith in Gödel may replace faith in Göd? Because if you have the first, then you have a proof of the second, and need no more faith for that?

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

You are WRONG!

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 04:20:04 PM

Based on the premise that Gödel's axioms(the stuff proves rely on) is true the conclusions(god exists) is also true. But it's still up to oneself to decide if the axioms are true or not.

So faith in Gödel may replace faith in Göd? Because if you have the first, then you have a proof of the second, and need no more faith for that?
No, faith in what gödel wrote/said implies faith in god.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B6del's_ontological_proof

On the other hand, gödel also proved that a system of axioms strong enough to represent the natural numbers are either incomplete(there exists true statements that can not be proven) or inconsistent(there exists a statement that can both be proven and dis-proven).

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
dank
Legendary

Activity: 1134

You cannot kill love

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 04:22:40 PM

But He does not murder us. I suppose you could say that the fact that there is a Hell and that we choose to go there is God murdering us?

I'm more worried about your belief in hell than anything else.
We are in hell.

The universe is a chaos of infinite probabilities.

Only the most probable and logic universe emerge from all the patterns.

Every consciousness act as an observer of the universe.

There is no universe without an observer.

The sum of all observers make the world what it is.

If most of observers believe in the existence of god, it should make god exist.

The only limit is that you cannot make or do something that you believe is impossible.

The only unknown for me is what happen when 2 consciousness observe at the same time with opposite believes ?

Some people believe in god, some don't. Is there stronger consciousness than others ? Are we actually fighting, right now, for god to exist or not ?

MINDFUCK
Read this again.

13oZY8zzWEp48XZpEEi8zSkYJF5AWR2vXc DMhYmNzMnU2Avgu7sF3GSDybHumj8XH8V8
Currently seeking plot of land to host 1,000,000+ person music festival
Dankmusic - Hear the impossible, feel the impossible, be the impossible dankmusic.org dankcoin.org
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2013, 04:33:53 PM

No, faith in what gödel wrote/said implies faith in god.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B6del's_ontological_proof

On the other hand, gödel also proved that a system of axioms strong enough to represent the natural numbers are either incomplete(there exists true statements that can not be proven) or inconsistent(there exists a statement that can both be proven and dis-proven).

Yes, I recall my Gödel fondly from undergraduate studies, and I grew up with Games magazine, so lots of Hofstreider
I have Gödel Escher Bach on the reading list for my 13yr old for this year.  Though I may start him out with Raymond Smullyan first.
The kid took a practice LSAT test last week and knocked it out of the park, I need stuff like this to keep him humble and distracted from his career of playing and crafting video games so his computer has downtime to mine him some litecoins so he can pay his own academic expenses.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
BitChick (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 04:35:09 PM

Aaaaaaalll of that still doesn't explain why you would want to interfere with god's plan should god want to take your children to heaven. Do you think your children will go to hell or somewhere else if you didn't give them vaccines, and they were to die before they had the chance to suffer through years of life on earth?

More b/s. Christian fundamentals do not teach that God's plan is to take everyone to heaven. Sounds like more Catholic crap. The original 'plan' implemented by God was to 'Be fruitful and become many and fill the earth and subdue it', nothing about dying and going to heaven.

In fact I once had a conversation with an ex-catholic who's daughter was killed being run over by a car. When his local priest tried to console him by telling him the usual nonsense of 'God wanted her as a flower in his garden', the man asked why God chose 'being hit by a car' as his method of taking her. The priest could not provide a sane answer to that and the man came to the conclusion the priest was full of shit and stopped being a Catholic.

Another stupid teaching, which has scarred the reputation of organized religion terribly.

Even though I am not Catholic I can somewhat understand what the priest was trying to accomplish. I think the priest was trying his best to comfort your friend.  It is really difficult to know what to say to someone who is grieving like that.  Often the best thing is to do is say nothing at all.  Just being there is what is needed most of the time and it was foolish for the priest to respond like he did it sounds like.

That said, this world is filled with horrible things, death, sickness, abuse, etc.  But we should be hopeful that there is a place where there is no more death, sickness, pain and suffering.  

I know we would like to think that this place is for everyone regardless of their choices in this life, but that is not how God ordained it.  We can argue with Him.  We can fight Him.  We can raise our fist at Him and tell Him how incredibly unfair it all seems.  But how fair was it for Him to receive beatings and even being crucified on a cross in one of the most horrific deaths this world ever had just for our sins?  That seems the most "unfair" thing of all to me and I am forever thankful for that.

It is all in our perception of things.  

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
interlagos

Activity: 496
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 04:35:52 PM

Hey I just imagined that I am God! That should be proof enough for you all to bow down and worship me, right?
This guy needs to use air-quotes around the word scientist when he calls himself a computer "scientist".

God is not a measure of how much others worship you, but a measure of how much you can create. If you can create anything at all, then the next logical step would be to ask - can I create more?

Then you get to the point, when you're wondering if you can create the condition, where you would begin facing the limits to your creative powers and that leads to a paradox. Or maybe it's the paradox, that led you to begin creating in the first place, because paradox simply is, there was nothing before it, there is nothing after it, but it cannot just settle to rest either, that's what existence really is and that's where we live in Smiley
interlagos

Activity: 496
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 04:55:17 PM

I'm not sure, that having sheep herders as a prerequisite to creation is a scientific way to approach things, especially in the realm of mathematics. This thread is about finding God in logic and I just demonstrated that no matter how you spin it, it is always there. Smiley

But the idea that the universe is just composed of our imagination, and that if we can imagine it, it is real, is not based on any science or logic. The sheep herders were not a prerequisite to creation, they were a prerequisite to making up the mythology fairy tale about a being we call god. And I think what I just demonstrated is that yes, if you spin fantasies to fit your own beliefs and imaginations, you can make your own fantasies and imaginations be whatever the hell you want them to be. That's not a very big discovery. It also has no bearing on science or the real world.

Weren't those sheep herders also prerequisite to the fairy tale you call "science"?
So, if having a logical conclusion is a mere fantasy of my imagination, then it must be as real as what you call science or "real" world. There is no difference.

Yes I agree that this universe has me in it. I was born from my parents.

It doesn't explain how you got here at all. Your parents became yours only after the fact. A year before your birth there was no such concept as "your parents", because all people were equally relevant to you at that point.

There was no "me" a year before I was born, and thus no "me" for anyone to be relevant to. I wasn't even half a DNA in my dad's sperm at that time. Hell, I wasn't even part of any cell that was in my dad's body at the time, since most of our body's cells get replaced every 3 to 6 months. At most I was some dirt, ready to feed some plant, that was eventually going to feed some cow or chicken. Obviously not sentient, and especially not me.

So now you have two singularities, one where physical universe emerged out of Big Bang and the other where you as a consciousness emerged out of that physical universe, where there was no prior concept of you. What makes you choose the model with two singularities instead of just one, where you exist unconditionally and the rest is a product (sometimes very elaborate) of your imagination. Shouldn't Occam's razor apply here?

The only logical conclusion is that you existed at least as a concept, as an idea, before your physical birth.

Doesn't it take for some conscious brain to form an idea? Who was having me as an idea in their head that far back? I know it wasn't my parents. And even if it was, were they arare of the piece of dirt that was to become a plant that was to become food that was to become my dad that was become sperm that would eventually make me? I highly doubt it.

There is no conclusive evidence, that brain creates consciousness, but there is some evidence (tabooed by "science" by the way), that brain receives consciousness. And if brain does really only receive consciousness that exists unconditionally, then it is consistent with the model, where you imagine the Universe and then you put yourself there as a player.

Imagining might involve building very complex mathematical model with physical laws, so it is not just fantasy.
BitChick (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 05:07:44 PM

And this I agree with you in part.  "Hell" is overused for sure.  The English translators thought they were doing us a service by translating Sheol, Hades into Hell and it causes problems.  I have gone on tirades about the problem this causes on some of my other posts on different threads.  So I totally get that.

That said, eternal damnation is something to be concerned about regardless and it is not a fabrication.  

Wait... did you just say, "You're right, hell is a totally made up place, and it was bad of those people to mess up the translation and make up such a place, but we should still worry about going to hell?" How does that even...  Huh

Hell is not a made up. The English translators were not perfect and thought that simplifying "Hades" "Sheol" and putting in "The Grave" or "Hell" would make it easier for the readers to understand.  This just leads to more problems though with misunderstandings though.  

There is still a "lake of fire" that all that are not found written in the book of life will be cast into along with the demons.  Basically Hades is thrown into there: See "Revelation20:14 Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire." This is the second death, the lake of fire.  This is what most people think of when they think "Hell."  It has become an over simplification though.  "Hell" is really the second step.  I believe that there is a waiting place where the dead go first.  There Jesus preaches to the spirits in a timeless place so that all have the chance to accept or reject Him. Perhaps those that reject Him here do not get a second chance there?  That I am not sure of.  The story of Lazarus and the Rich man in the Bible illustrates this concept and describes what Hades is like pretty well.
The Rich Man and Lazarus

19 “There was a rich man who was dressed in purple and fine linen and lived in luxury every day. 20 At his gate was laid a beggar named Lazarus, covered with sores 21 and longing to eat what fell from the rich man’s table. Even the dogs came and licked his sores.

22 “The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham’s side. The rich man also died and was buried. 23 In Hades, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. 24 So he called to him, ‘Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.’

25 “But Abraham replied, ‘Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony. 26 And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been set in place, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.’

27 “He answered, ‘Then I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my family, 28 for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.’

29 “Abraham replied, ‘They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to them.’

30 “‘No, father Abraham,’ he said, ‘but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.’

31 “He said to him, ‘If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.’”

kokjo
Legendary

You are WRONG!

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 05:09:26 PM

Hell is not a made up.
[references to very old and entertaining fantasy book]

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2013, 05:20:18 PM

God exists in the understanding. If God exists in the understanding

This the flawed premise.

Our "understanding" of infinity is based on metaphor, not experience.

Godel's error is romanticizing mathematics.

The question of whether there is a "transcendent" mathematics independent of human thought is a meaningless question.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Where_Mathematics_Comes_From#Human_cognition_and_mathematics

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 3052

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2013, 05:32:11 PM

So bitchick, you still haven't answered my question if your god gets off on people's suffering.

By your own words he knows how we feel about everything and everything we will do in our lifes.  He knows if we will sin or not, even through our free will.

So why did he create hundreds of millions of people he knew he would have to drown later in life? 

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
BitChick (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 05:59:02 PM

So bitchick, you still haven't answered my question if your god gets off on people's suffering.

By your own words he knows how we feel about everything and everything we will do in our lifes.  He knows if we will sin or not, even through our free will.

So why did he create hundreds of millions of people he knew he would have to drown later in life? 

Yours is an age-old question that many a theologian has debated.  I think until we personally grasp and understand at a deep level how much God truly loves us, in spite of the suffering we endure and realize that even God endured great suffering for us on the cross, we will not be content with the way this life is and the fact that the course of history has allowed for the flood, Sodom and Gomorrah and so on.  I already said that a common thread, if you read the Bible in it's entirety, is how greatly God is grieved when he has to resort to disasters such as these.  God does not "get off" on our suffering.  He suffers as we suffer.  One of my earliest recollections as a child was when I was crying due to the fact I was being abused on a daily basis.  I asked God "Why?"  He said, "I am crying too."  That is all I needed to hear as a little four year old girl.  It seems simple yet is was so profound to me and I have never doubted that He understands.  I have doubted some things that have not made since to me since then though.  We can question Him, but faith comes with understanding that He loves us and has plan in it all and will work everything for good of those called according to his purpose.

One of my favorite Christian writers and Theologians is CS Lewis.  Many of his works are laced with answers to difficult questions such as these.  Here is one quote:
The problem of reconciling human suffering with the existence of a God who loves, is only insoluble so long as we attach a trivial meaning to the word "love", and look on things as if man were the centre of them. Man is not the centre. God does not exist for the sake of man. Man does not exist for his own sake. "Thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created." We were made not primarily that we may love God (though we were made for that too) but that God may love us, that we may become objects in which the divine love may rest "well pleased".”
― C.S. Lewis, The Problem of Pain

Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 3052

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2013, 06:06:24 PM

Yours is an age-old question that many a theologian has debated.  I think until we personally grasp and understand at a deep level how much God truly loves us, in spite of the suffering we endure and realize that even God endured great suffering for us on the cross, we will not be content with the way this life is and the fact that the course of history has allowed for the flood, Sodom and Gomorrah and so on.  I already said that a common thread, if you read the Bible in it's entirety, is how greatly God is grieved when he has to resort to disasters such as these.  God does not "get off" on our suffering.  He suffers as we suffer.  One of my earliest recollections as a child was when I was crying due to the fact I was being abused on a daily basis.  I asked God "Why?"  He said, "I am crying too."  That is all I needed to hear as a little four year old girl.  It seems simple yet is was so profound to me and I have never doubted that He understands.  I have doubted some things that have not made since to me since then though.  We can question Him, but faith comes with understanding that He loves us and has plan in it all and will work everything for good of those called according to his purpose.

So, your answer is that your god gets off on pain and suffering, his own or others.  You say he suffers as we do, so he purposely causes himself suffering.

As a four year old with an active imagination, you asked yourself why were you suffering, then you thought of a solution that was "all you needed to hear".   I've made myself feel better as well, and it didn't have anything to do with a fairy tale.

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
deadweasel

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 06:35:36 PM

Consider examining the evidence which exists against the made-up stories in the bible.  Your mind will be blown.  

Psychology has proven that people like this will stick to the story in their head because it is more coherent to them than is the evidence based approach which requires scientific rigor.  Since they don't have any kind of rigor at all, they cannot even begin down the road of examining the evidence based approach.  This will hard-line them deeper into their 'coherent' (in their mind) worldview, no matter how obviously unfounded by a questioning mind.

So this could be a LOOOOONG conversation.

maz

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 06:37:41 PM

Consider examining the evidence which exists against the made-up stories in the bible.  Your mind will be blown.  

Psychology has proven that people like this will stick to the story in their head because it is more coherent to them than is the evidence based approach which requires scientific rigor.  Since they don't have any kind of rigor at all, they cannot even begin down the road of examining the evidence based approach.  This will hard-line them deeper into their 'coherent' (in their mind) worldview, no matter how obviously unfounded by a questioning mind.

Trust me I've investigated evolution heavily, it did not satisfy me at all. In fact if anything I came to the conclusion that evolutionists are more blindly zealot than a lot of religious people. and that's saying something!
kokjo
Legendary

You are WRONG!

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 06:40:26 PM

Trust me I've investigated evolution heavily, it did not satisfy me at all. In fact if anything I came to the conclusion that evolutionists are more blindly zealot than a lot of religious people. and that's saying something!
nice! a christian who actually says he knows about evolution. Can you please tell me what you think is wrong with it?

deadweasel

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 06:44:31 PM

Ok.  So you investigated evolutionary theory and you came back with a conclusion about the people who believe it?

This is called ad hominem attack -- or attacking the person rather than the issue.  Would you remark on your investigation of Evolution (as separate from those who believe it?)

deadweasel

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 06:50:41 PM

nice! a christian who actually says he knows about evolution. Can you please tell me what you think is wrong with it?

I posted my feelings on it on another thread on bitcointalk. I think the foundation for me is far too much in the realms of guess work to even be considered a theory. I mention the point of 'nothing comes from nothing' and I struggle to believe otherwise. I believe it might have been Rassah who described a system he believes for the universe to have come from nothing, but it didn't add up to me. I mean if I showed you a coffee table and you said hey that's a nice table, where did you get that from? and I said, well it just appeared....You would say, don't be silly, someone must have made that...and if I said nope, just came from nothing...you would never believe me.

Our universe is unfathomably more complex than a coffee table, yet evolutionists believe that it came from nothing. If you go back far enough and ask where each component came from, you eventually come to the point that nothing can instantly appear from nothing.

In my mind, 2+2 has always equaled 4. It didn't used to equal 3 and evolve into 4. Our universe is perfectly balanced and to think that it blundered it's way into this balance is too far fetched for me to believe. It's all about plausibility. The universe screams intelligent design, not a constant array of mistakes eventually culminating in the mona lisa.

There is absolutely no need for this "nothing from nothing" crap.  Scientists at least know they don't know for sure.  There are many theories that account for 'nothing from nothing'.

The problem here is that when you stop learning and start believing fairy tales, well, you STOP LEARNING ENTIRELY. 

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 »
  Print  

Jump to: