Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 03:51:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 [269] 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Gridcoin (GRC) - first coin utilizing BOINC - Official Thread  (Read 597303 times)
trumpman

Activity: 914
Merit: 299

View Profile
September 26, 2017, 07:13:20 AM

If the logo has been updated, why does the wallet still have the OLD logo?

New logo is a major improvement, you can actually figure out what it's supposed to look like as opposed to the old logo that was WAY too convoluted and UNreadable.

in this post (in the comments) you can see what the new portfolio will look like in the next update: https://github.com/gridcoin/Gridcoin-Research/pull/517   

nota: these images are not definitive

looks sexy <3

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
enzo94vt

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 06:52:17 PM
Last edit: September 27, 2017, 11:21:15 PM by enzo94vt

BACKUP FULL-NODE WALLET GRIDCOIN

Remember to back up the file wallet.dat and gridcoinresearch.conf (if present) placed in %appdata%/Gridcoinresearch

http://i63.tinypic.com/16bzrdg.jpg

Even if it is automatically carried out in the same folder, to avoid accidental breakdowns of HDDs, hardware theft, cloud down services or any other catastrophe, it is always better to make additional backups of the file I've indicated to you. Always keep a copy of it in multiple devices and more than one cloud (OneDrive, GoogleDrive, Mega) maybe stored in an encrypted .rar file. It is in it that your money is stored! Gridcoinresearch.conf is only important if you are an active BOINC researcher. If you lose config file you lose connection to that beacon (wallet get locked out) from the beacon as keypairs are in these config. So if can't recover keypairs you would need to delete beacon or wait until beacon running out. If you choose to delete the reward should still be waiting until you request a new beacon (if code not change to beacon).
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 11:57:17 PM

in this post (in the comments) you can see what the new portfolio will look like in the next update: https://github.com/gridcoin/Gridcoin-Research/pull/517   

Still wasting a ton of screen space.
 The third most irritating thing with the current wallet is the HUGE amount of wasted "white space" in it that makes it a PAIN to be able to see what's going on without completely overloading the entire screen.
 #1 isn't actually the wallet itself - it's the "have to keep tons of coin around to stake in a reasonable timeframe" issue.
 #2 is the frequent wallet CRASHES that have returned with the current version.
 #4 is the "I want to pop up FULL SCREEN IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SCREEN" when started, instead of following STANDARD WINDOWS PRACTICE of start up in the location and size the window was when it was LAST CLOSED.

I get TIRED of having to REPOSITION AND RESIZE the bloody wallet every day or two due to the combination of the last 2 issues, AND having to re-UNLOCK FOR STAKING every time.

Why doesn't the wallet AUTOMATICALLY stake instead of having to do that stupid "unlock for staking" every bloody time the wallet is started up?
 It gets OLD having to "unlock for staking" every bloody time the wallet is started up.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
myst40k

Activity: 25

View Profile
September 28, 2017, 04:55:05 AM

The third most irritating thing with the current wallet is the HUGE amount of wasted "white space" in it that makes it a PAIN to be able to see what's going on without completely overloading the entire screen.
 #1 isn't actually the wallet itself - it's the "have to keep tons of coin around to stake in a reasonable timeframe" issue.
 #4 is the "I want to pop up FULL SCREEN IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SCREEN" when started, instead of following STANDARD WINDOWS PRACTICE of start up in the location and size the window was when it was LAST CLOSED.

I get TIRED of having to REPOSITION AND RESIZE the bloody wallet every day or two due to the combination of the last 2 issues, AND having to re-UNLOCK FOR STAKING every time.

Why doesn't the wallet AUTOMATICALLY stake instead of having to do that stupid "unlock for staking" every bloody time the wallet is started up?
 It gets OLD having to "unlock for staking" every bloody time the wallet is started up.

1. how much are "tons" of coins ?
2. my linux wallet run already maybe 2 weeks without problems
denravonska

Activity: 37

View Profile
September 28, 2017, 06:36:13 AM

Also, on a more positive note (which erkan also knows about), the problem with the crashes in Windows wallets has been fixed in the upcoming version: https://steemit.com/gridcoin/@peppernrino/gridcoin-wallet-v3-6-2-0-teaser

That's great news. Windows was throwing a Low Memory error for me earlier today,
telling me to close the GRC wallet. I have 16GB of RAM, I shouldn't be getting
errors like this at idle. We'll see how the update treats me.

I think you got hit by this one which happened frequently when trying to get back to the right chain. https://github.com/gridcoin/Gridcoin-Research/issues/261
It's been fixed and it looks like when can schedule 3.6.2.0 for tomorrow.
erkan

Activity: 226
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 28, 2017, 07:51:01 AM

security alert!

* attack to bruteforce pwds on GRCpool

-> CHANGE your PWDs !

https://twitter.com/GridcoinIRC/status/913309381869088768
erkan

View Profile
September 28, 2017, 09:59:17 PM

"attack (on GRCpool) has slowed down but is still active"

#updateAbout1hAgo

https://github.com/Erkan-Yilmaz/GRC/issues/48#issuecomment-332973809

security alert!

* attack to bruteforce pwds on GRCpool

-> CHANGE your PWDs !

https://twitter.com/GridcoinIRC/status/913309381869088768
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
September 29, 2017, 03:20:50 AM

I am one of the Top 20 research magnitude producers in Gridcoin (top 16 if you exclude the 3 GRCPOOL entries that aren't single producers, and sometimes in recent times Top 15 COUNTING them).
 In order to stake at least MONTHLY on a semi-reliable basis, I have to keep about a month worth of coin in the wallet - and I HATE that they're just sitting there USELESSLY instead of my being able to use them to add more hardware.
 (don't even MENTION "staking income", I get better return on that out of a SAVINGS ACCOUNT out of my credit union - BEFORE I have to factor in the GRC price drop of the last couple-three months).

For folks with small research numbers, they'd have to keep YEARS of coin on hand to get payouts at all (don't forget the 6 months "lose it if you don't stake by then" limit).

I probably should move my wallet to a LINUX machine - though the Win7 machine it's on now is fairly reliable, generally only needs a reboot every couple months or so since I don't DO a lot on it.
 However, I went with NO wallet crash/reboots for MONTHS prior to the recent wallet changes, the last two-three weeks I have been seeing a wallet crash/reboot on average every other DAY.

Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
denravonska

View Profile
September 29, 2017, 04:57:40 AM

I am one of the Top 20 research magnitude producers in Gridcoin (top 16 if you exclude the 3 GRCPOOL entries that aren't single producers, and sometimes in recent times Top 15 COUNTING them).
 In order to stake at least MONTHLY on a semi-reliable basis, I have to keep about a month worth of coin in the wallet - and I HATE that they're just sitting there USELESSLY instead of my being able to use them to add more hardware.
 (don't even MENTION "staking income", I get better return on that out of a SAVINGS ACCOUNT out of my credit union - BEFORE I have to factor in the GRC price drop of the last couple-three months).

For folks with small research numbers, they'd have to keep YEARS of coin on hand to get payouts at all (don't forget the 6 months "lose it if you don't stake by then" limit).

I probably should move my wallet to a LINUX machine - though the Win7 machine it's on now is fairly reliable, generally only needs a reboot every couple months or so since I don't DO a lot on it.
 However, I went with NO wallet crash/reboots for MONTHS prior to the recent wallet changes, the last two-three weeks I have been seeing a wallet crash/reboot on average every other DAY.

The last weeks issues were due to old, failing fallback mechanisms. If you upgrade to 3.6.2.0 it should run much more stable.
Vyazhan

Activity: 168

View Profile
September 29, 2017, 08:31:29 AM

With around 250$ worth of GRC in my wallet, I need around 1-2 days to stake, so nothing compared to some other projects out there Smiley

In the future, there will also be fixed staking rewards, which should make it even easier to stake!
ABitBack

Activity: 524
Merit: 502

View Profile
September 29, 2017, 04:20:35 PM

Do you earn more coins the longer you stake?

QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 03:49:47 AM

With around 250$ worth of GRC in my wallet, I need around 1-2 days to stake, so nothing compared to some other projects out there Smiley

$250 represents quite a bit more than one month of GRC income for me at current pricing.

2000 GRC (somewhat less than 2 WEEKS of my current income) gets me a state right now in slightly less than 2 weeks based on recent staking intervals.
 For someone with 80 magnitude of production (which would put them very close to or IN the Top 200 Gridcoin producers), they would have to keep over 3 MONTHS of income around to stake every other week.

For smaller folks, this a totally INSANE requirement and makes Gridcoin pretty much WORTHLESS to them.

I don't know of ANY other "project out there" that ties up so much of your earnings just to get paid your non-staking earnings - in fact, I'm not away of ANY other project that does so except for STAKING SPECIFIC type coins that don't have anything resembling a "proof of work" requirement.

Vyazhan

Activity: 168

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 06:05:53 AM

$250 represents quite a bit more than one month of GRC income for me at current pricing.

2000 GRC (somewhat less than 2 WEEKS of my current income) gets me a state right now in slightly less than 2 weeks based on recent staking intervals.
 For someone with 80 magnitude of production (which would put them very close to or IN the Top 200 Gridcoin producers), they would have to keep over 3 MONTHS of income around to stake every other week.

For smaller folks, this a totally INSANE requirement and makes Gridcoin pretty much WORTHLESS to them.

I don't know of ANY other "project out there" that ties up so much of your earnings just to get paid your non-staking earnings - in fact, I'm not away of ANY other project that does so except for STAKING SPECIFIC type coins that don't have anything resembling a "proof of work" requirement.

Sorry, I didn't quite get your jist but in that regard you are correct. This is a known problem and will be addressed in the future. The reason for that move was a security flaw that had to be addressed and as far as I understood it, there won't be a similar requirement in the future.
erkan

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 08:18:11 AM

tomorrow ends poll:

* Should Gridcoin implement fixed POS block rewards?

current status: Yes 92.7%

https://steemit.com/gridcoin/@erkan/technical-poll-should-gridcoin-implement-fixed-pos-block-rewards-vote-until-oct-1
Quezacoatl1

Activity: 1

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 11:10:47 AM

The gridcoin.io Thunderclap campaign has been extended by 2 weeks. Please keep supporting the campaign or add your support, if not already done so.

Nevertheless, the 10,000 GRC giveway will be paid on October 1st, so join the challenge, support the Thunderclap and spread word about Gridcoin in social media to improve your chances.

Dear supporters of science,

there is only one day to go and we are stuck at 90% of what we need. Also, we hear your requests to adopt the new Gridcoin-Logo in our video before the party starts. And yes, it would be good to have it. Therefore, we extended the thunderclap timeframe to include an updated video and to get even more support.

Many people from the Gridcoin community asked for this change and we are going to make it happen. Our new release date will be right before Gridcoin's anniversary day! This way, a lot of new people are going to get a chance to join the celebration.

Thank you for being with us!

Kind Regards, Quez
denravonska

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 12:59:08 PM

You can if you want to. http://wiki.gridcoin.us/Wallet_Auto-unlock_for_staking
erkan

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 01:53:59 PM

planning ongoing:

* do you have wishes for the BOINC team challenges in: October 2017 ?

https://steemit.com/gridcoin/@erkan/boinc-team-challenges-in-october-2017
trumpman

Activity: 914
Merit: 299

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 05:44:21 PM

Gridcoin news & stuff:
- The first prototype of the 3D gridcoin: https://steemit.com/gridcoin/@jefpatat/the-first-prototype-of-the-3d-gridcoin
- We should think back to where we came from: https://steemit.com/gridcoin/@grider123/we-should-think-back-to-where-we-came-from
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 08:18:48 PM

Thanks for posting the work-around.

Still doesn't explain why a work-around is needed though.

I'm also getting tired of the "every day or two" wallet reboots in the current version - though that was supposedly fixed MONTHS ago, more than a bit irritating that bug is BACK AGAIN.

denravonska

View Profile
October 01, 2017, 04:43:07 AM

Thanks for posting the work-around.

Still doesn't explain why a work-around is needed though.

Because you encypted the wallet with a password. In order to do modifications to it (spend a UTXO to stake) you have to decrypt it with the same password. If you prefer not using the auto unlock option you can always use the wallet unencrypted.

I'm also getting tired of the "every day or two" wallet reboots in the current version - though that was supposedly fixed MONTHS ago, more than a bit irritating that bug is BACK AGAIN.

Are you still having problems with 3.6.2.0? That one was just released a few days, not months, ago.
Pages: « 1 ... 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 [269] 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 »
  Print  

Jump to: