Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 03:35:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ... 112 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Trust No One  (Read 161202 times)
kingkong12345678

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 06, 2011, 08:05:43 AM

Iam so confused is this the silk road or is this a forum associated with it?
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DialCoin

Activity: 15

View Profile
October 06, 2011, 12:56:24 PM

There's scammers everywhere. Just watch your back and don't be stupid!

Hear, hear.
EvryIntl

Activity: 29
Merit: 12

View Profile
October 07, 2011, 05:52:33 PM

The nice thing about a true free market currency is that the free market will teach people lessons about self-protections.  IMO, one of the biggest problems with the fiat system is that some intermediary theoretically can make everything right if you've been ripped off (theoretically).  It generates a false sense of confidence in a system that simply cannot right all wrongs.

There was a time when it was considered laughable that anyone would have a bank account (and if you know much about fractional reserve banking and how bank runs occur, you know why it was and is such a risk).

There was a time when it was considered laughable that anyone would use "rag money" instead of hard coin.

There was a time when it was considered laughable that any 3rd party could protect your and your assets better than yourself.

The really laughable part is that's how most of human history has gone - only in the last 50 years or so has much of this changed.

Who's the sucker?  We live in a time of exceptions and we believe them to be the rules.

Safeguard your own money.  Take responsibility for your own protection.  Otherwise, the market will teach you those lessons.

rTech

Activity: 305
Merit: 250

Trust but confirm!

View Profile
October 07, 2011, 08:01:28 PM

The nice thing about a true free market currency is that the free market will teach people lessons about self-protections.  IMO, one of the biggest problems with the fiat system is that some intermediary theoretically can make everything right if you've been ripped off (theoretically).  It generates a false sense of confidence in a system that simply cannot right all wrongs.

There was a time when it was considered laughable that anyone would have a bank account (and if you know much about fractional reserve banking and how bank runs occur, you know why it was and is such a risk).

There was a time when it was considered laughable that anyone would use "rag money" instead of hard coin.

There was a time when it was considered laughable that any 3rd party could protect your and your assets better than yourself.

The really laughable part is that's how most of human history has gone - only in the last 50 years or so has much of this changed.

Who's the sucker?  We live in a time of exceptions and we believe them to be the rules.

Safeguard your own money.  Take responsibility for your own protection.  Otherwise, the market will teach you those lessons.

+1
Nexor

Activity: 6

View Profile
October 10, 2011, 10:39:53 PM

I've had this philosophy since I started mining and haven't lost anything. (Yet :p)  Though it did convince me to use Lastpass software for all my passwords, they're all different and all very secure.  If you don't use it you should.
bitleaker

Activity: 42

View Profile
October 11, 2011, 02:49:13 AM

+1
+2
martychubbs

Activity: 742
Merit: 503

View Profile
October 11, 2011, 03:18:01 AM

Great info,  Grin

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
          ▄▄████████████▄▄
       ▄████████████████████▄
     ▄██████████████▀█████████▄
   ▄███████████████   ██████████▄
  ▐█████████████████   ██████████▌
 ▐█████████████████▀    ██████████▌
 ███████████████▀        ██████████
▐████████████▀     ▄███   █████████▌
████████████    ▄████▀██▄███████████
██████████▀██▄████▀    █████████████
█████████   ███▀     ▄██████████████
▐█████████        ▄████████████████▌
 ██████████    ▄███████████████████
 ▐██████████   ███████████████████▌
  ▐██████████   █████████████████▌
   ▀██████████▄█████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████████████▀
       ▀████████████████████▀
          ▀▀████████████▀▀
              ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

█
    ██
   ████
  ██▌███
 ▐██▌███▌
 ███ ██▀▌
 ▀██ █▄██
 █▄█ ███▀
 ▀██ ██▄█
 █▄█ ███▌
  ██▌███
  ▐█▌██
   ▐█▌
    █
    █
     ▀

░░██████
░░██████
░░██████

░░░░░░░░░░░██████
░░░░░░░░░░░██████
░░░░░░░░░░░██████

██████
██████
██████

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██████

▄▄██████▄▄
       ▐██▀    ▀██▌
       ██        ██
       ██        ██
       ██        ██
      ██████████████
      █████  ███████     ██ 
  ██  █  ████████  █ ██   
      ███████  █████    ██   
      ██████████████

▄██▄
▀██▀         ▄██▄
             ▀██▀

▄██▄
       ▀██▀

▄██▄
  ▄██▄     ▀██▀
  ▀██▀

▄▄█▄▄   ▄
█▄        ████████▀▄
███      █████████▀
▐███▄    ████████▌
▄▄█████▄▄▄███████▌
  ▀█████████████
  ▄▄██████████▀
    ▄████████▀
▀▀████████▀
    ▀▀▀

▄█▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀█▄
   ▐█▄████████████▄█▌
  ▐██████████████████▌
  █████▀▀▀████▀▀▀█████
 █████     ██     █████
▐██████▄▄▄████▄▄▄██████▌
 ████▄▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▄████
  ▀▀████        ████▀▀
      ▀▀        ▀▀

█▀▀▄▄▄█▄
         █    ▀█▀
       ▄▄█▄▄
▄██▄▄████████▄▄██▄
█████▀▀████▀▀█████
 ███▄  ▄██▄  ▄███
  ▀████▀██▀████▀
    ▀███▄▄███▀
       ▀▀▀▀

██ ██ ██ ██

██ ██ ██

██ ██

██ ██

Homepage

██ ██

██ ██

██ ██ ██

██ ██ ██ ██

White Paper
pinarphan

Activity: 21

View Profile
October 12, 2011, 09:53:35 PM

Agree!
Interjekcion

Activity: 26

View Profile
October 13, 2011, 03:17:30 AM

Blegh, what a horrible world we live in. I know a buddy who got ripped by his business partner. Poor guy lost 100K.

I cant even imagine how to deal with that kind of thing. Hell, when I got scammed for 15$ I was blowin steam outta my ears  Grin
Party Hard

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 15, 2011, 01:19:00 AM

Blegh, what a horrible world we live in. I know a buddy who got ripped by his business partner. Poor guy lost 100K.

I cant even imagine how to deal with that kind of thing. Hell, when I got scammed for 15$ I was blowin steam outta my ears  Grin

Dude, you're a robot! That's friggin sweet. Just go bash his non-robot face in and get your dollas back.

Ladies ladies, one at a time.
baconbit

View Profile
October 15, 2011, 10:14:52 PM

Note taken, I will trust no one except my encryption software!
Immanual Stop

Activity: 8

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2011, 12:13:05 AM

Note taken, I will trust no one except my encryption software!
Same here. And my offline cold storage wallet.
Kumala

Activity: 525
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 16, 2011, 05:02:18 PM

Another useless Newbee forum thread. Everyone is posting without any value add.

Hacked Account! Don't send any money.
g2x3k

Activity: 147
Merit: 100

PooL-X.eu

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2011, 02:44:17 AM

no shit sherlock

http://PooL-X.eu/ join the crew, bring your slaves
http://wallet.it.cx/ Instant LTC Wallet service
dproG

View Profile
October 17, 2011, 04:58:02 AM

Nice info for us new people. Will follow the tips.
L00n3y

Activity: 490

View Profile
October 18, 2011, 04:48:22 PM

What's the point of bitcoin if you have to be so paranoid?

Exactly my thoughts.
Then again, he's right. Don't trust anyone online
rowdyrasta

Activity: 2

View Profile
October 18, 2011, 11:56:00 PM

Seriously. Don't trust the exchanges, don't trust online wallet services, don't trust your anti-virus software, and don't trust anybody online.

If you absolutely must trust someone with your bitcoins, for the love, choose carefully!

• Do you know their full name?
  • Do you know where they are located?
  • Have they demonstrated trustworthiness in the past?
  • Are they asking you to trust them? (red flag)
  • Do they have insurance?

Insurance? Impossible, you say. Not so!

When I needed people to trust me to hold bitcoins for a contest, I deposited 50 bitcoins as a bond with a well-respected forum member, so that even if I did something stupid and lost people's money, they would still be reimbursed. You can read about it here: http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=10008.0

Consider carefully who you will trust. With bitcoins, elaborate scams may be profitable. For instance, someone may develop trust for their user name over many months with small transactions on this forum, then take advantage of that trust to make off with a lot of money. Such a scam would only be worth doing on this forum. No other forum in the world would be worth the effort.

If you want someone to hold your bitcoins for you, there are NO online services that have the transparency and security to make me comfortable using them for storing bitcoins for more than a short time in small amounts. The only way to do it is like I did - choose someone whom you believe to be trustworthy, and approach them. If they approach you, or in any way say or insinuate that they are a trustworthy person to hold your coins, STAY AWAY.

If you are thinking that I might not be trustworthy, since I am writing this post about the issue, you are approaching the appropriate level of paranoia.

If you want to store your bitcoins with maximum security, there are lots of resources about how to do it, such as this: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Securing_your_wallet

Here's my summary:

1. Put all your coins in a new wallet that has never connected to the network
2. Encrypt that wallet with the maximum security you can find, using the most secure password you can keep track of
3. Delete the plaintext wallet, and distribute the encrypted wallet to every piece of physical media you own, store it online, and send it to several people you trust

Don't think you can generate and remember a secure enough password? Create a super-long password, and store clues to help you remember it. For instance, your password clue file might say:

My standard password + My throwaway password (backwards, all caps) + &#$%@ + First two sentences of first paragraph of page 19 of my favorite book (include all capitalization and punctuation) + My wife's mother's middle name + My son's favorite superhero + My favorite number times 8734 + food my wife hates (backwards, all caps) + 9-digit number stored with my paper will + 10-character password stored in my safety deposit box + . . . .

You can go on in this way to create as long a password as you want. Store this password clue file with your encrypted wallet, and optionally encrypt both with a simple standard password to keep out snoopers.

In this way, not only can you recover your coins from your "savings account" at a later date, if you get hit by a chicken truck tomorrow and die, your loved ones can probably piece together your password and recover the coins too (better make sure you trust them, and that between them they have or can get the answers to those clues).

I recommend that you practice your wallet encryption and recovery a few times with a small number of coins, until you are very comfortable with the process before you try it with the bulk of your savings.

And remember, this is how most bitcoins services get started:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-lgm4poF3JWE/TgsHwby-BlI/AAAAAAAADwQ/twan94HT6p4/020.jpg

Comic from: http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=13903.0

thank you reading this post has opened my eyes wider,they wern't closed completly but thanks again.
freshzive

Activity: 447

View Profile
October 19, 2011, 04:55:29 AM

Just went ahead and encrypted my wallet thanks to your post Smiley

mr chong

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 19, 2011, 05:40:48 PM

Unfortunately the more popular this gets the more scammers are going to come out of the woodwork, they always are looking for the next opportunity so you can never be to paranoid.
TheBlackDahlia

Activity: 14

View Profile
October 20, 2011, 02:31:13 AM

And don't trust HiddenWiki for links! Full of phishing sites.  Lips sealed
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ... 112 »
  Print  

Jump to: