Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 01:10:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 [76] 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitmain launches the Z9 Equihash miner  (Read 37166 times)
Angelob

Activity: 9
Merit: 3

View Profile
August 08, 2018, 02:00:17 PM

Has anyone done any research on reversing the airflow?  AND even putting the fan on the other end and pulling the air through?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4404847.msg43446447#msg43446447

Re: Z9 list of working pools/Fork updates
Today at 04:55:03 AM
Reply with quote  +Merit  #637
Quote from: greyday on Today at 03:42:17 AM
Quote from: acidrush on Today at 03:29:55 AM
Quote from: Sprucemoose78 on Today at 03:26:07 AM
Quote from: xxoanser on August 03, 2018, 09:06:20 AM

https://preview.ibb.co/modtYz/IMG_20180803_090110.jpg
https://preview.ibb.co/nCEHtz/Screenshot_2018_08_03_08_55_10_483_com_android_chrome.png

I only reversed the airflow

My temps at 750mhz:
Before: 67-71° at 80%
Now: 54-59 at 70%

Is it possible that your fan had been set the wrong way from the factory? Can you confirm which direction the air flows now after you switched? And how about sound, did it change in any way (especially the pitch)?

The fan used to suck air in, now its blowing out. Speed is about 1k rpm less.

To avoid confusion, it pushed air in, now it is pulling air out, correct?

correct

I actually just tried this out and now my fan is pulling air out (blowing out and not through the machine) and my PCB temps dropped 9-11 degrees per PCB and about 4-6 degrees per chip.  Fan on auto also it spinning about 1k RPM lower and doesn't do the constant up and down ramping when I had it the other way.  Seems strange they wouldn't try this configuration and ship it that way...

Pulling air is a better method of cooling.  Proven in data centers, A/C units,..  I will be moving my fans to the back of the unit and the blank metal plate to the front of the unit in my data center on Tuesday and give a report on it.

A/C units pull air because the coil is very close and larger than the fan and an even air flow through the coil is desired.

Also be carefull when pulling air over uneven coil as in the Z9 mini, the air will flow more with the least resistance areas, if you push air and the coil/ fins are close like the Z9, the static pressured air will not have time to find another course through the fins. In other words its better to push in on the Z9.

I just took the Z9minis and put them into the garage with the fan on the back end.  The first two are of them running with the fan on the front pushing the air (original).  The second two are them running with the fan on the back pulling the air through.

---FAN ON THE FRONT---

https://i.imgur.com/8LTEUYf.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/3PrT67Z.jpg

---FAN ON THE BACK---

https://i.imgur.com/3j2azZU.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/6lnaiIB.jpg

[/quote]
What did you do with the rear grill and fan grill?.
Sandal_Hat

Activity: 462
Merit: 118

View Profile
August 08, 2018, 08:01:31 PM

Cryptocompare shows 314usd per month at 10 cents electricity now. How u guys doing.
New Z9 mini and Z9 coming soon

Selling 100 dollar coupons (8units expire 11th June, 14 units expire 1st july) and 125 dollar coupon (2 unit exp 30th June). Selling at 20% of value
AriesIV10
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1006

Mine for a Bit

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2018, 03:27:35 AM

Has anyone done any research on reversing the airflow?  AND even putting the fan on the other end and pulling the air through?

My temps at 750mhz:

Is it possible that your fan had been set the wrong way from the factory? Can you confirm which direction the air flows now after you switched? And how about sound, did it change in any way (especially the pitch)?

correct

I actually just tried this out and now my fan is pulling air out (blowing out and not through the machine) and my PCB temps dropped 9-11 degrees per PCB and about 4-6 degrees per chip.  Fan on auto also it spinning about 1k RPM lower and doesn't do the constant up and down ramping when I had it the other way.  Seems strange they wouldn't try this configuration and ship it that way...

Pulling air is a better method of cooling.  Proven in data centers, A/C units,..  I will be moving my fans to the back of the unit and the blank metal plate to the front of the unit in my data center on Tuesday and give a report on it.

A/C units pull air because the coil is very close and larger than the fan and an even air flow through the coil is desired.

Also be carefull when pulling air over uneven coil as in the Z9 mini, the air will flow more with the least resistance areas, if you push air and the coil/ fins are close like the Z9, the static pressured air will not have time to find another course through the fins. In other words its better to push in on the Z9.

I just took the Z9minis and put them into the garage with the fan on the back end.  The first two are of them running with the fan on the front pushing the air (original).  The second two are them running with the fan on the back pulling the air through.

---FAN ON THE FRONT---

---FAN ON THE BACK---

[/quote]

I put the entire grill that was on the back onto the front.  I took the fan and plate from the front and put it on the back.

BTC Address (Donations):  3LepZAju88ZRuNVD4cS6Xv5hKyKrjvirkB     Website:  www.MintMining.com
Email: Mining@MintMining.com      Power Supplies: https://bit.ly/2TtvdOR
ltcsprite

Activity: 269
Merit: 101

View Profile
August 09, 2018, 03:54:18 AM

Cryptocompare shows 314usd per month at 10 cents electricity now. How u guys doing.
New Z9 mini and Z9 coming soon

I see you're still completely retarded.

Still making $21-$23/day on the Z9 mini even with the MASSIVE CRYPTO CRASH.

Do you even research anything at all or just go by shit you read on twitter?

Too many tards on here.  Cool
Angelob

View Profile
August 09, 2018, 04:40:05 AM
Last edit: August 09, 2018, 06:12:11 AM by Angelob

https://preview.ibb.co/modtYz/IMG_20180803_090110.jpg
https://preview.ibb.co/nCEHtz/Screenshot_2018_08_03_08_55_10_483_com_android_chrome.png

My temps at 750mhz:

correct

---FAN ON THE FRONT---

https://i.imgur.com/8LTEUYf.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/3PrT67Z.jpg

---FAN ON THE BACK---

https://i.imgur.com/3j2azZU.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/6lnaiIB.jpg

I put the entire grill that was on the back onto the front.  I took the fan and plate from the front and put it on the back.
[/quote]

Ok, a couple of things to think about.

The original fan setup pics show that the fans are stepping in speed, this is a good thing, as the chip temp changes the fan adjusts. is the suction fan stepping, if its not and is constant thats not good.

The fan speed changes with pcb sensor, not completly sure if the temp chip sensor engages fan speed, could be secondary limit. Either way the drop in fan speed between the suction fan setup is due to lower pcb sensor temp, not necessarily from a better setup.

Have a look at the heatsink setup, the top of the unit has little restriction, and air can flow easily through this area, also the left side is board no 3 (bottom sensor) it has always the hottest readings, but it should be the coolest you would think, why because it flows more air near it, notice the gap between the board and the side case, a good 15mm, now have a look at the other side, board no 1 top sensor its always the second hottest and you would think it would be the hottest, it has less space than the rest, its jammed against the side wall.
This is a good example in the original setup of static pressure forcing air into the restricted board no 1, where as board no 3 the static pressure on the fins are lost and escapes around the 15mm gap in the side wall, more air passes but its hotter.

Im being objective here only to theroise what is happening with suction setup.

Nowing the air will suck easly through that big 15mm side gap and through the single fins at the top of the unit and through the gaps between the boards and swirl the air causing a pcb and chip temp drop. As i have suggested in the first post with the sensors being at the rear, The reason i suggest this is i have been able to reduce the pcb temps by redirecting the air and forcing it to flow closer to the sensors.

The suction setup could be good, i'm just not confident that its better due to all the factors in play,  some ways you could improve the unit without changing the fan setup, firstly remove the rear grill and put it aside. second, remove the fan grill, i made a new grill like a mouse cage and fitted it over the fan approx 50mm deep, also raise the unit off the table so the air can go through the cage bottom into the fan. third make a thin metal plate, best if i send a pic its a bit complicated, the plate improves pcb temps and brings down board no 3 now board no 1 is the hottest, its working well for me hope it does the same for you.

https://imgur.com/suA5T9q
https://imgur.com/EOK7lxd
smaxz

Activity: 430
Merit: 253

VeganAcademy

View Profile
August 09, 2018, 05:58:17 AM
Merited by bones261 (2)

wow where are you guys getting your builder bob expertise from?

a/c units utilize whats known as an "A" coil evaporator.. its built in line to the flow of air in your duct work. if you "pushed" air through the evap coild you would be cooling the exhaust or return air flow of your circulating system, quite defeating the purpose of getting cental air.

if you are talking about the condensor coil outside the home, yes in general I would consider they pull air because it more evenly draws air through the fins.

data centers facilitate whatever the cooling configuration of the room is.. if a hot/cold isle dc is in effect you arent going to exhaust your hot air into the cold isle. 1/2/3/4u chassis only mount to racks in one direction. mostly dealing with supermicro equipment its all been preconfigured to push air across board/components.

ideally though push is a more efficient system. automotive research has proven this fact.. but airflow is a tricky thing and a proper fan shroud will make or break your cooling system.

on my old s7 single fan unit I have noticed reversing airflow aided performance.. not sure why but it didnt adversly affect the lifespan of the unit.

I made some posts about it if anyone cares to check history.

- NGdTwHRSdnThdi1drQuHGT3khAHRtZ1HMq -
Angelob

View Profile
August 09, 2018, 06:22:27 AM

wow where are you guys getting your builder bob expertise from?

a/c units utilize whats known as an "A" coil evaporator.. its built in line to the flow of air in your duct work. if you "pushed" air through the evap coild you would be cooling the exhaust or return air flow of your circulating system, quite defeating the purpose of getting cental air.

if you are talking about the condensor coil outside the home, yes in general I would consider they pull air because it more evenly draws air through the fins.

data centers facilitate whatever the cooling configuration of the room is.. if a hot/cold isle dc is in effect you arent going to exhaust your hot air into the cold isle. 1/2/3/4u chassis only mount to racks in one direction. mostly dealing with supermicro equipment its all been preconfigured to push air across board/components.

ideally though push is a more efficient system. automotive research has proven this fact.. but airflow is a tricky thing and a proper fan shroud will make or break your cooling system.

on my old s7 single fan unit I have noticed reversing airflow aided performance.. not sure why but it didnt adversly affect the lifespan of the unit.

I made some posts about it if anyone cares to check history.

like you, air cond, air flow, ducting, static air, velocity, volume etc, in the old days before flexi duct it was a science, now days they just wack a monster on the slab and away it goes. LOL

cheers.
wesdak

Merit: 0

View Profile
August 13, 2018, 12:41:59 AM

Hi cryptomaniacs,

Since two days ago Z9 Mini is -Sold Out- so...

What's the next step of Bitmain?

Release a new batch of 'Z9 Mini' cheapest than 850$?

New batch with the same price?

Not sale 'Z9 mini' again?

Will be interesting to know what they did before with similar ASIC machines...

Thanks for your time !!
OurManInHavana

Activity: 91
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 13, 2018, 10:29:42 AM

Equihash miners went up in performance so fast, it probably doesn't make sense to sell the Mini again. I bet they switch to only selling the big Z9 (against the A9 ZMaster and others) and competing on hashrate+shipping-volume (where Bitmain can throw miners in the mail for buyers faster than anyone else).
chinguyensg

Activity: 46

View Profile
August 13, 2018, 12:51:32 PM

Equihash miners went up in performance so fast, it probably doesn't make sense to sell the Mini again. I bet they switch to only selling the big Z9 (against the A9 ZMaster and others) and competing on hashrate+shipping-volume (where Bitmain can throw miners in the mail for buyers faster than anyone else).
That's right. A9 right now makes <$50 per day and will drop more for sure, so what is the chance for Z9 mini in next month?
d.v.

Activity: 48
Merit: 4

View Profile
August 13, 2018, 03:23:26 PM

Hi cryptomaniacs,

Thanks for your time !!

my guess is that this will be the end of the Z9 mini and only the Z9 will remain with the remainder inventory plus price adjustments for next batches.
mfurman

Activity: 173
Merit: 2

View Profile
August 13, 2018, 04:17:04 PM

That's right. A9 right now makes <$50 per day and will drop more for sure, so what is the chance for Z9 mini in next month?

I still see $53/day. My Z9 mini is still making ~0.11-13 ZEC a day (it was making ~ 0.15-0.16 ZEC/day in June)
greyday

Activity: 434
Merit: 52

View Profile
August 13, 2018, 09:05:12 PM

Hi cryptomaniacs,

Thanks for your time !!

my guess is that this will be the end of the Z9 mini and only the Z9 will remain with the remainder inventory plus price adjustments for next batches.

For sale? Probably. For use? It's the same hashrate/power consumption per chip, the mini will continue to be profitable at the same ratio as the bigger guys, just less on a day to day level.
mfurman

View Profile
August 13, 2018, 11:08:58 PM

Hi cryptomaniacs,

Thanks for your time !!

For sale? Probably. For use? It's the same hashrate/power consumption per chip, the mini will continue to be profitable at the same ratio as the bigger guys, just less on a day to day level.

Also Z9 mini is realistically the only ASIC miner for mining at home without any special investment in electrical installation (even if you a have a few of them). The noise level is border line tolerable and it is using not much more power than GTX1080Ti (with the price of second batch with coupon, comparable as well)
greyday

Activity: 434
Merit: 52

View Profile
August 13, 2018, 11:15:17 PM

Also Z9 mini is realistically the only ASIC miner for mining at home without any special investment in electrical installation (even if you a have a few of them). The noise level is border line tolerable and it is using not much more power than GTX1080Ti (with the price of second batch with coupon, comparable as well)

Not at all, pretty much all Bitmain miners are usable at home without any electrical mods (provided your house doesn't have pre-60s wiring still); any 20amp circuit will easily suffice, and most of them run fine on a 15amp line. That said, ALL miners are more efficient on a 220v line, and the A3 and S9 both require their own dedicated lines (I assume the Z9 biggie does as well)...
minefarmbuy

Activity: 1022
Merit: 221

We are not retail.

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2018, 12:31:15 AM

Not at all, pretty much all Bitmain miners are usable at home without any electrical mods (provided your house doesn't have pre-60s wiring still); any 20amp circuit will easily suffice, and most of them run fine on a 15amp line. That said, ALL miners are more efficient on a 220v line, and the A3 and S9 both require their own dedicated lines (I assume the Z9 biggie does as well)...

Make sure to use a psu that will function on a 110v line at the wattage you need.

Premier asic sourcing minefarmbuy.com #mineon
Twitter:@minefarmbuy -LN Tips-
Email: info@minefarmbuy.com PGP:1A1C A4D4 CE04 F57E 1C0C 5240 592A 09BF CCB4 F0C3
mfurman

View Profile
August 14, 2018, 01:56:36 AM

Make sure to use a psu that will function on a 110v line at the wattage you need.

You misunderstood me or I should have said that these Z9 mini miners are in addition to the existing GPU mining rigs (2.5kW). Do not forget that a house has lots of appliances and some of them also take up to 1.8 KW in peak. Temperatures this Summer are high and I had to add a portable AC (in addition to central air). I could not add a S9 without adding 220V installation.
extra_sauce

Activity: 11

View Profile
August 14, 2018, 06:02:46 AM

You misunderstood me or I should have said that these Z9 mini miners are in addition to the existing GPU mining rigs (2.5kW). Do not forget that a house has lots of appliances and some of them also take up to 1.8 KW in peak. Temperatures this Summer are high and I had to add a portable AC (in addition to central air). I could not add a S9 without adding 220V installation.
[/quote]

Yeah, 230VAC is the key if you want to do something more than just a few units.  I have a 100A main with a 60A feed to a subpanel.  On that subpanel I have all of my mining and networking equipment as well as the lighting and HVAC for the room housing it all.  Right now I'm running 6xL3+, 4xL3++, and 8xA4+ along with a Z9 Mini and about 5ksol worth of GPU's spread over two PCs.  All of that equipment is running at 230VAC with no issues.  However, before I finished the room, I was constantly doing a fine balancing act with everything on 120VAC!
wesdak

View Profile
August 15, 2018, 12:01:08 PM

Well,

Looks like they have "thousand" of Z9 Mini in other warehouse because now is in STOCK again...

Let's see what's happen in the future, I don't think they will devalue the price of 'Z9 Big' if they still having Minis for sale at 850$.

Once they sold out all the Minis, maybe they sell the Z9 it cheapest than now.

smaxz

Activity: 430
Merit: 253

VeganAcademy

View Profile
August 15, 2018, 02:44:41 PM

it seems like a modular enough design, I wouldent be surprised if they robbed full size z9 units to create z9mini counterparts if the sales were sluggish.

I think smaller appliance tyle asics are good for crypto, entry level investors and the manufacturer as well.. by selling more chassis and control boards you are increasing your profit margins.

would love to see similarly competative sha256 and ethash solutions.

- NGdTwHRSdnThdi1drQuHGT3khAHRtZ1HMq -
Pages: « 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 [76] 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »
  Print  

Jump to: