Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 09:46:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 »
  Print  
Author Topic: New Ixcoin fork -> I0coin  (Read 216909 times)
Spacy

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 10:04:14 AM

that still doesn't answer the question why he's just hitting 100 i0coins after 9 hours and I hit 100 i0coins in an hour at half the hashrate xD

why would someone of much lower hashrate be ABLE to get shares in and someone with much higher hashrate NOT BE ABLE TO get shares in? xD

plus.. even with %75 stales the whole time mining I've still made 5 times what he's made and it should be the complete opposite he should make 50-100 times MORE then me..

Revenue = HashingPower * MiningSkills ;-)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MaGNeT
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1002

Waves | 3PHMaGNeTJfqFfD4xuctgKdoxLX188QM8na

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2011, 10:14:33 AM
Last edit: August 17, 2011, 10:53:56 AM by MaGNeT

I'm now testing with CGminer and poclbm.
Seems to be a big difference in stales.

Results in 15 minutes!

Update!
CGMiner has 13% stales vs poclbm with 21% stales!

We have a winner!
Detritus

Activity: 295
Merit: 98

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 10:24:33 AM

If that's the boundary of your imagination, I feel sorry for it. How about pruning and consolidating old blocks?  how about faster block download and verification? how about using blocks as an Internet time-keeping tool? how about making the hashing power more useful?  how about allowing transaction expiration to prevent lost coins?

Dare to dream, my friend. Dream.

You need to run right right over to K-mart and by a new sarcasm detector. Yours is broken.
simonk83

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 11:05:26 AM

Ok, need a little help here.

The crappy, buggy windows client has sent away my coins into the ether (to a bitparking address), but it's been stuck on 0/confirmations all day and refuses to budge.  I close it down and come back later, only to watch all my older transactions accrue heaps of confirmations, but the sent just sits there doing nothing.

Tried a rescan, didn't help.

Normally when you send a transaction to bitparking it's registered straight away on the site with how much you sent, then eventually clears after enough blocks.  In this case bitparking doesn't even recognise anything is incoming.

It's only 144 coins so not the end of the world, but annoying regardless.  I'd like to be able to install this thing from my PC so would like this transaction to go through.

Any ideas?
Detritus

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 11:07:39 AM

The crappy, buggy windows client has sent away my coins into the ether (to a bitparking address), but it's been stuck on 0/confirmations all day and refuses to budge.  I close it down and come back later, only to watch all my older transactions accrue heaps of confirmations, but the sent just sits there doing nothing.

Normally when you send a transaction to bitparking it's registered straight away on the site with how much you sent, then eventually clears after enough blocks.  In this case bitparking doesn't even recognise anything is incoming.

It's only 144 coins so not the end of the world, but annoying regardless.  I'd like to be able to install this thing from my PC so would like this transaction to go through.

Any ideas?

Sounds like they were sent to an invalid receiving address.
Clipse

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 11:09:26 AM

I'm now testing with CGminer and poclbm.
Seems to be a big difference in stales.

Results in 15 minutes!

Update!
CGMiner has 13% stales vs poclbm with 21% stales!

We have a winner!

And the reason is, different difficulty levels.

We are now at diff 4096 and I bet my tophat you did a test with poclbm on diff 1024.

Im running poclbm and right now on diff 4096 Im getting ~7% stales

...In the land of the stale, the man with one share is king... >> Clipse

We pay miners at 130% PPS | Signup here : Bonus PPS Pool (Please read OP to understand the current process)
simonk83

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 11:12:49 AM

The crappy, buggy windows client has sent away my coins into the ether (to a bitparking address), but it's been stuck on 0/confirmations all day and refuses to budge.  I close it down and come back later, only to watch all my older transactions accrue heaps of confirmations, but the sent just sits there doing nothing.

Normally when you send a transaction to bitparking it's registered straight away on the site with how much you sent, then eventually clears after enough blocks.  In this case bitparking doesn't even recognise anything is incoming.

It's only 144 coins so not the end of the world, but annoying regardless.  I'd like to be able to install this thing from my PC so would like this transaction to go through.

Any ideas?

Sounds like they were sent to an invalid receiving address.

Yeah, but it matches exactly what's on the bitparking page.  Just copied and pasted it anyway.

Aaaaand, as soon as I type that and refresh the bitparking page, it shows the incoming coins.  Super weird.  I did this transaction 9 hours ago and have refreshed that page heaps of times.

Whatever.
Detritus

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 11:17:48 AM

Yeah, but it matches exactly what's on the bitparking page.  Just copied and pasted it anyway.

Aaaaand, as soon as I type that and refresh the bitparking page, it shows the incoming coins.  Super weird.  I did this transaction 9 hours ago and have refreshed that page heaps of times.

Well I guess that rules out an invalid address. The really isn't a lot more you can do except wait, or get doublec to go look through the logs on his end and see what he's seeing.
caston

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2011, 11:29:03 AM
Last edit: August 17, 2011, 11:58:18 AM by caston

Has anyone seen this in regards to how this client works a bit differently to the others such as bitcoin and namecoin?

You need to specify server or put server=1 in the i0coin.conf file
http://forum.i0coin.org/index.php?topic=10.0

I wonder if this is one of the reasons why so many people went in the pool instead of sticking to solo for the low difficulty settings

As well that some people may have lost blocks because of this.

I was solo mining with poclbm but didn't have the -server mode set and I do remember getting a couple of blocks that never came. I assumeed they may have been orphaned later but now I wonder.

Technocrat said:
"I found 2 blocks without having server=1 in my bitcoin.conf file.
They did not show up in the client.
Can these be recovered?"

If this turns out to affect a lot of people and the coins can't be recovered it could be as good a case as any for a reset.

bitcoin BTC: 1MikVUu1DauWB33T5diyforbQjTWJ9D4RF
bitcoin cash: 1JdkCGuW4LSgqYiM6QS7zTzAttD9MNAsiK

-updated 3rd December 2017
pbj sammich

Activity: 272
Merit: 250

Fighting Liquid with Liquid

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 12:09:15 PM

Has anyone seen this in regards to how this client works a bit differently to the others such as bitcoin and namecoin?

I wonder if this is one of the reasons why so many people went in the pool instead of sticking to solo for the low difficulty settings

I was solo mining with poclbm but didn't have the -server mode set and I do remember getting a couple of blocks that never came. I assumeed they may have been orphaned later but now I wonder.

Technocrat said:
Can these be recovered?"

If this turns out to affect a lot of people and the coins can't be recovered it could be as good a case as any for a reset.

How is this different, this is how it's been
caston

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2011, 12:28:30 PM

Technocrat said:
Can these be recovered?"

How is this different, this is how it's been

Doesn't the regular bitcoind start in server mode?

kano
Legendary

Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 12:36:38 PM

Orphans, Stales, Rejects, etc
Everyone hates them and some people want to make up an excuse why they get them.
... and when a new block-chain starts, they of course sky-rocket.

If someone swapped a flag and thus got more people to pool instead of solo and wanted that - well they were smart weren't they Smiley

Otherwise - yeah understand what an orphan is and why it happens - during the early stages of a new block-chain they will occur regularly

Hmm how many pooled block single share orphens was I marked against ... checks ... 50 in the first 90 minutes ... I think I actually got and lost 5 or 6 of the orphens - oh well that's the way it is, that's part of the security of how it works - and btw my mining rig is only 710Mh/s - not very big ... but I did successfully get 6 non-orphened single share blocks in the first 90 minutes.

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
caston

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2011, 12:39:47 PM

Orphans, Stales, Rejects, etc
Everyone hates them and some people want to make up an excuse why they get them.
... and when a new block-chain starts, they of course sky-rocket.

If someone swapped a flag and thus got more people to pool instead of solo and wanted that - well they were smart weren't they Smiley

Otherwise - yeah understand what an orphan is and why it happens - during the early stages of a new block-chain they will occur regularly

Hmm how many pooled block single share orphens was I marked against ... checks ... 50 in the first 90 minutes ... I think I actually got and lost 5 or 6 of the orphens - oh well that's the way it is, that's part of the security of how it works - and btw my mining rig is only 710Mh/s - not very big ... but I did successfully get 6 non-orphened single share blocks in the first 90 minutes.

Yes, I am hoping someone will answer my question: If solo miners that were mining I0coind didn't have the server mode switch would they have lost any blocks they mined during that time?

kano
Legendary

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 12:50:14 PM

How can you do work requests to a server that isn't a server?

You think someone actually modified the server code to stop it from submitting blocks to the network?
Well if they did, yeah I guess you'd be unhappy about it ... but I seriously doubt someone did that.
When taken in context it sounds exactly like someone trying to blame their orphens on something other than the fact that they are expected.

Again, orphens ran rampant during the early stages I even saw some of those 6 I lost disappear when the network corrected them - that's how it works and it happens with solo and pool mining of course.

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
caston

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2011, 01:10:50 PM

How can you do work requests to a server that isn't a server?

You think someone actually modified the server code to stop it from submitting blocks to the network?
Well if they did, yeah I guess you'd be unhappy about it ... but I seriously doubt someone did that.
When taken in context it sounds exactly like someone trying to blame their orphens on something other than the fact that they are expected.

Again, orphens ran rampant during the early stages I even saw some of those 6 I lost disappear when the network corrected them - that's how it works and it happens with solo and pool mining of course.

Well some versions of the code you type in ./bitcoind it starts the daemon and you then get a command prompt below it where you can type things such as ./bitcoind getinfo on this configuration you have to open
another terminal and type ./bitcoind getinfo (or in this case ./i0coind getinfo )  The problem is that people were still able to start poclbm with the username and password in the i0coin.conf file but it would be unable to write to the wallet as the directory would have been in use by the iocoind running in non-server mode. Therefore people were wondering why the hell they were not  getting the blocks they had mined and in fact it looks like they may have lost them completely. I hope there is a way for these people to recover them. I myself believe I mined a few blocks in this situation. They have simple becomes orphans and I may have lost them anyway but I was not running the i0coind in server mode so it appears that I may have lost those blocks simply for that reason. If it was just me then tough luck but if it turns out that many hundreds of people lost entire blocks due to this this is quite a serious issue.

Additionally people were unsure which port to specify in the i0coin.conf leading many to be forced to mine through pools further undermining the open and p2p nature of the currency.

The whole purpose of opening this up and having an official launch  to give as many people as possible a chance to take part in this new block chain has unfortunately been side stepped in some cases by technical errors and unfriendly default configurations and in other cases may have been manipulated by blatant financial gain leaving the rest of us with feeling short changed.

Fletch

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

I'll have a steak sandwich and a... steak sandwich

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 01:29:57 PM

No.

HashPeak - GPU mining hashrate peak detector
BTC: 1FLETCHvcUKosefrcZCLUQTtvx4WvgnYMC
GoWest

Activity: 563
Merit: 501

betwithbtc.com

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2011, 01:35:30 PM

Trading is already done here.  IXC traded between 0 and 0.01, so people already have in their minds that I0C has a value that straddles 0.005.  It will continue trading in a tight range around 0.005 until buyers get bored and it falls back to something really tiny.   Thanks for the 18 BTC, that was all I could squeeze out of this one.

Considering i0coins have 3 times the volume of Ixcoins at similar points in time and I0coins actually have some useful features over BTC, I think you're being a bit generous with straddling 0.005.

0.02 will likely be hit. But thanks anyhow for selling low. Smiley

Still sure about that?  The price hasn't budged.

kano
Legendary

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 01:41:36 PM

Firstly, in case there's a misunderstanding ... the (blocks and) coins you get are in the block-chain.
The wallet is not actually like a normal wallet that contains the actual items of value, it contains the keys that give you access to the items of value in the block-chain.

Secondly, the miner requests work from the server (or pool) and that contains the address (key) that is placed in the block and makes up part of the data that is hashed and tested to see if you win it.
(so also you can't steal a successful block hash and give it to another address (key) - the address (key) is part of it)

Now, if the server code can actually generate a new key, not write it in the wallet and then also pass that key out as a work request, then you could lose a block, but again, I doubt the code is that stupid ...

Xephan

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 01:43:54 PM

I've not done solo mining on Bitcoin since I'm late to the party. But for the rest, I always had to start xxxcoind with the -server flag for solo mining. No difference with i0coin except there is too much hash power going into it from the start. Especially with a single pool having what appears to be way more than 50% of the hashrate, it makes absolutely no point to mine solo. Any blocks you get in, will most likely be erased when the pool solve that block before your block reaches their daemon. With multiple blocks per seconds in the beginning, it is almost guaranteed to do so.

doublec
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 01:59:49 PM

No.
Yes, it does. All 'server' mode does is enable the JSON-RPC interface. This is automatically done in the programs ending with 'd'.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 »
  Print  

Jump to: