Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 12:57:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 »
  Print  
Author Topic: How can a goverment trace you have BTC?  (Read 4020 times)
Rana590

Activity: 1750
Merit: 267

View Profile
May 16, 2018, 08:57:46 PM
Last edit: May 18, 2018, 09:13:55 AM by Rana590

As bitcoin is a decentralized method, it is not easy work for government to track identity. It is really difficult for the government to track anyone who using btc without giving proper information.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
vnck25

Activity: 392
Merit: 11

View Profile
May 16, 2018, 09:10:50 PM

If you buy and sell Bitcoins from a person there is no way for ANYBODY to track it. If you can ask for cash when selling and pay in cash when buying that would make thing perfect, no trace what so ever that you made a transaction! Bitcoin transactions via the blockchain is 100% anonymous, so there's no way to track that its you who are move them everywhere. The one place that people can know that its you is if you buy/sell BTC or to that matter any other crypto via an exchange ( eg: Coinbase ).  Hope this helps! 
jhonnydeep87

Activity: 378
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 16, 2018, 09:55:03 PM

Exchange now every day requires veriication of your information data for you to exchange bitcoin through fiat. The government can also use IP addresses to track you. When you can use decentralized exchanges to avoid them. I myself do not use any of it. You can also use something like TOR to hide your real IP address. You do not have to worry about not easily tracking you as long as you can hide your identity from an exchange that requires verification. Cool
Ishiro5
Copper Member

Activity: 224
Merit: 3

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2018, 09:58:13 PM

I doubt this is really possible or practicable. For the purpose of investigating a crime, that may be reasonably feasible but not to monitor transactions for the general public.
bitctrimor1

Activity: 252
Merit: 104

“Blockchain Connection Framework”

View Profile
May 16, 2018, 10:20:29 PM

How can the government discover I own BTC, let's say I'm from Venezuela where crypto is banned, what they can do to discover and arrest me?

At the moment, I don't think that a government is concerned with that, but I would say this, if a government really wants to do that, I would say that they have such capacity to do so. The government holds the most people in one country, including the capacity to use any technology they desire to better their interests even if its means invading one's privacy and looking into his dealings, including his cryptocurrency dealings, most especially if you are in technologically advanced countries like the USA or China.

O M N I T U D E              BLOCKCHAIN E-COMMERCE                      JOIN NOW
▄ ▄ ▄ █ █    W H I T E P A P E R    █ █ ▀ ▀ ▀

FACEBOOK          TWITTER          LINKEDIN        TELEGRAM          REDDIT         ANN THREAD
Brookie

Activity: 81
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 16, 2018, 10:38:06 PM

Probably, it depends on the governments who want to find bitcoin users who are already if bitcoin is banned in the country. You should be careful with transactions made using bitcoins.
fernandoaleixo (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 4

Community Manager at Bitsurf.eu

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2018, 02:18:27 PM

I've seen a lot of mixed opinions whether the government can or not track my transactions, so let's say unless you make really big deals in a country like Venezuela you won't need to worry, right?
fernandoaleixo (OP)

Merit: 4

Community Manager at Bitsurf.eu

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2018, 02:20:25 PM

How can the government discover I own BTC, let's say I'm from Venezuela where crypto is banned, what they can do to discover and arrest me?

You should avoid reusing addresses. You should also be careful to use coin control: remember that signing transactions with outputs from multiple addresses associates all those addresses together.

You should always use IP address obfuscation when broadcasting transactions to the network. You can push raw transactions over TOR using a push service like https://blockchain.info/pushtx or you can connect to the network through a good VPN.

Bitcoin transactions are anonymous. As long as you don't reveal your identity, no one know you are a bitcoin holder.
For this purpose you have to buy bitcoin peer to peer from a person you trust. Never use exchanges that force you to verify your identity.

Bitcoin transactions are not anonymous. They are pseudonymous. Even if you never fully verify your identity with an exchange, things like IP addresses, cookies and PII like physical addresses (e.g. if you've bought an Amazon gift card with BTC and had something shipped to your home) can be used to identify you. Lots of PII gets leaked when dealing with third parties via web browser. And if blockchain analysis companies (working with governments) can identify one or two of your used addresses, clustering techniques may allow them to map much of your transaction history.

I see! Thanks for the info bro, and that leaves me with another question... What if I try to mask my IP? Is that possible? I'm worried about the people of small countries where BTC is banned but I wonder if the government also has the means to track you effectively (since they're really poor governments after all).

Be careful out there!
HatakeKakashi

Activity: 1274
Merit: 513

View Profile
May 17, 2018, 02:26:36 PM
Last edit: May 21, 2018, 03:18:39 AM by HatakeKakashi

It easy to track I think because of the IP address you used. Like if the account of your wallet also have your name and your idetification.
If you not do bad I don't think we scared to the government because bitcoin is a legit . If work with legit company and that is bitcoin.  But if you not submit any of your information maybe you will not be trace.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit AirDrop $.|.Get 700 YoDollars for Free!.🏆
joebrook

Activity: 644
Merit: 259

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
May 17, 2018, 02:40:20 PM

Bitcoin transactions are anonymous. As long as you don't reveal your identity, no one know you are a bitcoin holder.
For this purpose you have to buy bitcoin peer to peer from a person you trust. Never use exchanges that force you to verify your identity.
Inspite of all these assumptions, there are still cases where bitcoins transactions has been tracked by law enforcement agencies like FBI and others and this goes on to show that it's really not that anonymous as we thought that it was and therefore can be traced.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
YoBit AirDrop $|
Get 700 YoDollars for Free!
🏆
bitfocus

Activity: 532
Merit: 15

View Profile
May 17, 2018, 02:44:58 PM

Exchanges and KYC helps government to Trace you Smiley
Thecryptocurrency09

Activity: 346
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 17, 2018, 02:49:55 PM

At first, I also taught that bitcoin was n metely fprmed anonymously. This b is how it is made and was made. Yet, as fast as technology evolve and innovate, so does organisation and/or people could great a way to track bitcoin users n
squatter
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1196

STOP SNITCHIN'

View Profile
May 17, 2018, 11:20:53 PM

If you buy and sell Bitcoins from a person there is no way for ANYBODY to track it. If you can ask for cash when selling and pay in cash when buying that would make thing perfect, no trace what so ever that you made a transaction! Bitcoin transactions via the blockchain is 100% anonymous, so there's no way to track that its you who are move them everywhere.

This is the best way to retain privacy -- p2p trading with cash. Technically, it isn't anonymous since you still need to interface with the buyer/seller. He knows some things about you like Localbitcoins username, what you look like, maybe your phone number.

That's the only way I use Localbitcoins -- basically as classified ads. You won't pay escrow fees or deal with KYC that way.

The government can also use IP addresses to track you.

Use TOR for web browsing (including broadcasting raw transactions). You can also automatically route your internet connection through a good VPN like Private Internet Access.

I doubt this is really possible or practicable. For the purpose of investigating a crime, that may be reasonably feasible but not to monitor transactions for the general public.

Indeed. But let's think about that.

When you interface with the internet, web sites, merchants and third party payment processors, you leave behind an abundance of data. Cookies, IP addresses, email addresses, usernames, wallet public keys/addresses (as with lightweight wallets), browser and OS information, etc. Much of that data will be stored, somewhere, in a database.

And one day, when the police/government are investigating you, that information might become accessible to them. That may not matter, depending on what you are hiding (or not hiding). But due to the public nature of the blockchain, if they can tie some transactions to you, they may be able to discover much more about your historical activities and financial holdings.

Maybe this possibility is remote; maybe I am paranoid. But I think we all ought to be thinking about this shit now, before governments and blockchain analysis companies develop more sophisticated surveillance systems.

Noli151821

Activity: 6

View Profile
May 17, 2018, 11:24:18 PM

Of course they cannot as long as you don't reveal it by you own.
bayu7adi

Activity: 1400
Merit: 544

paper money is going away

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2018, 11:37:43 PM

it all depends on your privacy
what data do you share on the internet?
the digital world has a treasure, called DATA, where every information, is very valuable and can be used for various purposes
chel0

Activity: 196

View Profile
May 17, 2018, 11:55:46 PM

Since bitcoin transactions is done in a peer-to-peer network, I think government won't be able to trace if you have bitcoins unless you yourself or somebody tells them that you have.

bamboylee

Activity: 1148
Merit: 504

View Profile
May 18, 2018, 12:01:46 AM

It will be very hard for them to know if you own bitcoin or not, unless you are announcing it to the world. Transactions are almost anonymous and hard to track. Avoid centralized exchange that requires KYC and you will be fine. Good luck to them tracking every address in the blockchain just to find you.
brawdias

Activity: 84

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2018, 01:01:42 AM

Good question !!

I think the transactions are encrypted and decentralized, but the cypto exchanges aren't. I believe they can trace when you convert to fiat money or when you spend it.
Cheenguboc143

View Profile
May 18, 2018, 01:07:39 AM

if you know this is banned  in your area , seek and you really to look for ways to you not to trace by government, they can't easily know you there because your account is anonymous,  unless your neighbor or friends will tell others that your a member of it.  That's why if it is not OK in your country,just private your details about it.
Jocuserious

Activity: 1935
Merit: 290

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2018, 01:24:20 AM

Absolutely have some ways to field search bitcoin users and got them.buy sell tracker in your country.2FA verification of your NIC card. exchange KYC verification.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 »
  Print  

Jump to: