Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 11:11:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Windows gadget which displays BTC and currency amounts  (Read 69163 times)
NikolayS

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 05, 2018, 08:58:38 PM

Hello.
Thank you for the widget, it would have been really useful.
However, it is not now, because "correction in currency" doesn't really work.
Also, really small values are stripped.
I want to use it for altcoin pairs, and coins that cost ~100 satoshi are displayed totally wrong, like 0.00001, whey I want to see 0.00000113 or 113s or something like that.
Strangely, coins below 100 are displayed correctly.

http://monosnap.com/image/BU7xna0ktcYQeQRXaHZoK7QNVjKxyY.png
Here, ICX is stripped

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Domchi (OP)

Activity: 516
Merit: 268

View Profile
November 05, 2018, 10:06:49 PM

What problems are you having with correction in currency? By default it's 0 which gives no effect. If you input number 1 in that field, the value that'll be displayed in the bottom field should be incremented by 1.

I want to use it for altcoin pairs, and coins that cost ~100 satoshi are displayed totally wrong, like 0.00001, whey I want to see 0.00000113 or 113s or something like that.

Here, ICX is stripped

This is intentional. By design, gadget has a very limited amount of digits it can display - only about 7 digits of precision can fit in the space available. If you're trying to display a number that has too many digits (like 1.2345678), it will be rounded. This is what you see when you say "stripped" - the last decimal is stripped (rounded, actually) because there simply isn't enough space to display it.

Another way the gadget copes with really big or really small numbers is by using metric symbols. You know, k for kilo (or 1000) and so on. On your screenshot, when it displays 240.000n for NPXS, n means nano; it means that NPXS exchange rate is 240 * 0.000000001 = 0.00000024. This is a way to get maximum precision (and avoid rounding) when you don't have high precision, but have many zeroes that don't fit. All more common metric symbols are listed here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_prefix

Hope this helps.
stomachgrowls

Activity: 2856
Merit: 769

View Profile
November 05, 2018, 11:32:13 PM

I need this widget but it do give some prompts  Huh

Its totally safe  Grin
Thanks for this one.

Edit: https://www.virustotal.com/#/url/c1814dab7842c5ecf697e632d497e763cdabd3c76bf832d7a004efcf098d90f8/detection

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
▄▄█▄▄░░▄▄█▄▄░░▄▄█▄▄
███░░░░███░░░░███
░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░
▀██████████
░░░░░███░░░░
░░░░░███▄█░░░
░░██▌░░███░▀░░██▌
█░██░░███░░░██
█▀▀▀█▌░███░░█▀▀▀█▌
▄█▄░░░██▄███▄█▄░░▄██▄
▄███▄
░░░░▀██▄▀
REGIONAL
SPONSOR
███▀██▀███▀█▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀██
██░▀░██░█░███░▀██░███▄█
█▄███▄██▄████▄████▄▄▄██
██▀ ▀███▀▀░▀██▀▀▀██████
███▄███░▄▀██████▀█▀█▀▀█
████▀▀██▄▀█████▄█▀███▄█
███▄▄▄████████▄█▄▀█████
███▀▀▀████████████▄▀███
███▄░▄█▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▄███
███████▄██▄▌████▀▀█████
▀██▄█████▄█▄▄▄██▄████▀
▀▀██████████▄▄███▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
EUROPEAN
BETTING
PARTNER
Domchi (OP)

View Profile
November 05, 2018, 11:57:46 PM

Its totally safe  Grin

Yeah, it's totally safe. Every Win7 gadget will trigger the same prompt; that's because Microsoft abandoned the technology. But it's still the only way to display this stuff on desktop in Win7.

This gadget is open source, anybody can open it and inspect its contents (.gadget file is just a zip file with some HTML and Javascript inside). It doesn't access your wallets and it doesn't require any private keys.
NikolayS

View Profile
November 06, 2018, 08:57:28 AM

What problems are you having with correction in currency? By default it's 0 which gives no effect. If you input number 1 in that field, the value that'll be displayed in the bottom field should be incremented by 1.

As you can see on screenshot, I have only single field on gadget. I want to correct this field. Why do I need two fields? I kind of know that all of them are relative to BTC, I don't need separate line saying BTC 4 times for each coin used.

http://monosnap.com/image/BU7xna0ktcYQeQRXaHZoK7QNVjKxyY.png
Here, ICX is stripped

This is intentional. By design, gadget has a very limited amount of digits it can display - only about 7 digits of precision can fit in the space available.

I understand the cause of this, but how can it be used then? If correction from above worked properly for all fields, I could place +100 000 000 in there and see value in satoshi, for example. Now I am just not able to see whole value.
Also, 240.000n  looks ugly, I want to be able to see '24' there.

Thank you!
Domchi (OP)

View Profile
November 06, 2018, 12:40:37 PM

As you can see on screenshot, I have only single field on gadget. I want to correct this field. Why do I need two fields? I kind of know that all of them are relative to BTC, I don't need separate line saying BTC 4 times for each coin used.

Hm, still not sure what's the problem, but why are you using MyBitcoins? Try downloading MyCoins gadget: http://domchi.cc/mycoins/

Then you can set "Customize top field" to "hide top field".

I understand the cause of this, but how can it be used then? If correction from above worked properly for all fields, I could place +100 000 000 in there and see value in satoshi, for example. Now I am just not able to see whole value.
Also, 240.000n  looks ugly, I want to be able to see '24' there.

Thank you!

Yeah, definitely download MyCoins and then set:

Customize top field: hide top field
Correction: 100000000
Primary exchange URL: https://api.binance.com/api/v3/ticker/price?symbol=NPXSBTC
Exchange rate JSON key: price
Ticker currency: NPX

...and you'll get 24. Does that help?
NikolayS

View Profile
November 06, 2018, 12:52:16 PM

Yeah, definitely download MyCoins and then set:

Customize top field: hide top field
Correction: 100000000
Primary exchange URL: https://api.binance.com/api/v3/ticker/price?symbol=NPXSBTC
Exchange rate JSON key: price
Ticker currency: NPX

...and you'll get 24. Does that help?

OMG you are my savior, thank you!
I was using MyCoins, my problem was, I never saw 'hide top field' in the combobox, only 'Hide bottom field' checkbox, and with it, I saw top w/o corrections.
Now only minor issue is that I can set Main currency/top field label to 4 symbols but Ticker currency is limited by 3, even when it is placed on same spot. With altcoins there are many 4-letters coins.
stomachgrowls

Activity: 2856
Merit: 769

View Profile
November 06, 2018, 03:03:05 PM

Its totally safe  Grin

Yeah, it's totally safe. Every Win7 gadget will trigger the same prompt; that's because Microsoft abandoned the technology. But it's still the only way to display this stuff on desktop in Win7.

This gadget is open source, anybody can open it and inspect its contents (.gadget file is just a zip file with some HTML and Javascript inside). It doesn't access your wallets and it doesn't require any private keys.
Currently on Windows 10. I did tried to download on the link but this one shows like this:

███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
▄▄█▄▄░░▄▄█▄▄░░▄▄█▄▄
███░░░░███░░░░███
░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░
▀██████████
░░░░░███░░░░
░░░░░███▄█░░░
░░██▌░░███░▀░░██▌
█░██░░███░░░██
█▀▀▀█▌░███░░█▀▀▀█▌
▄█▄░░░██▄███▄█▄░░▄██▄
▄███▄
░░░░▀██▄▀
REGIONAL
SPONSOR
███▀██▀███▀█▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀██
██░▀░██░█░███░▀██░███▄█
█▄███▄██▄████▄████▄▄▄██
██▀ ▀███▀▀░▀██▀▀▀██████
███▄███░▄▀██████▀█▀█▀▀█
████▀▀██▄▀█████▄█▀███▄█
███▄▄▄████████▄█▄▀█████
███▀▀▀████████████▄▀███
███▄░▄█▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▄███
███████▄██▄▌████▀▀█████
▀██▄█████▄█▄▄▄██▄████▀
▀▀██████████▄▄███▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
EUROPEAN
BETTING
PARTNER
Domchi (OP)

View Profile
November 06, 2018, 10:21:17 PM

Now only minor issue is that I can set Main currency/top field label to 4 symbols but Ticker currency is limited by 3, even when it is placed on same spot. With altcoins there are many 4-letters coins.

Yeah, 3-letter space is kind of becoming crowded. Well, I could do something about it in next version if there's enough interest, but it's a pickle since it should probably involve changing the design as well. But... you could hack it yourself.

Go to this folder (assuming you have Windows installed on C: drive; also, change <username> to your Windows username):
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Sidebar\Gadgets\MyCoins.gadget\

Edit file Settings.html and go to line 117 (or search for "Ticker currency" and look at line right below it) and change maxlength="3" to maxlength="4". Save the file.

That should do it. No need to reload your gadgets, just go to settings and set 4-letter ticker currency.
Domchi (OP)

View Profile
November 06, 2018, 10:30:31 PM

Currently on Windows 10. I did tried to download on the link but this one shows like this:

Windows gadgets work only on Windows 7 (and Vista, but noone uses Vista anymore). After Windows 7, Microsoft has discontinued support for gadgets, but there are ways to run gadgets on newer Windows versions. See here: https://www.intowindows.com/desktop-gadgets-for-windows-10/

I believe there are also some alternatives showing similar stuff as tiles.
Myown55

Activity: 105
Merit: 1

View Profile
November 06, 2018, 10:32:21 PM

WOOOOWWWWW! Bitcoin and blockchain will never seize to amaze people. This gadget is wonderful. The calculations are always on point . Bitcoin operations is getting easier and effective.

✪GoWithMi - Mapping the World on Blockchain✪  
◉ http://gowithmi.com/◎☛https://twitter.com/GoWithMi_GL☚◎https://t.me/gowithmi_en ◉
NikolayS

View Profile
November 07, 2018, 08:32:34 AM

Go to this folder (assuming you have Windows installed on C: drive; also, change <username> to your Windows username):
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Sidebar\Gadgets\MyCoins.gadget\

Edit file Settings.html and go to line 117 (or search for "Ticker currency" and look at line right below it) and change maxlength="3" to maxlength="4". Save the file.

That should do it. No need to reload your gadgets, just go to settings and set 4-letter ticker currency.

Thank you, it worked!
Domchi (OP)

View Profile
February 14, 2019, 07:09:22 PM

As of today (14th February 2019), third-party service that is used for fiat exchange rate (if you're using target currency field in settings) is no longer available due to change in licensing terms. I'm working on a fix and will update the gadget in the next few days.

I'd like this gadget to remain simple to use and free of any fees, even third-party ones. Of course, as always, donations are appreciated. Smiley

In the meantime, exchanges are slowly adding different stablecoins and fiat currencies, so whenever possible, use direct exchange rate from exchange if it's available.
Domchi (OP)

View Profile
February 17, 2019, 04:46:07 PM

The new version of the gadget is available. Please upgrade if your target currency field in settings is not blank.

Please note that gadget is using third party API for conversion to fiat. You'll have to register with third party API to continue using this feature (it's free and you don't have to leave any personal data apart from your e-mail). I'm not affiliated with this service in any way.
movellan

Activity: 353
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 13, 2019, 05:10:26 PM

Would you be so kind as to post the Bitfinex link for Litecoin? TIA.
Domchi (OP)

View Profile
May 14, 2019, 08:30:00 AM

Would you be so kind as to post the Bitfinex link for Litecoin? TIA.

Sure. Use one of these two depending which LTC price you want (against BTC or against USD):

Bitfinex

exchange URL: https://api.bitfinex.com/v1/pubticker/LTCBTC
exhange rate JSON key: last_price
ticker currency: BTC
field 1 JSON key: ask
field 2 JSON key: last_price
field 3 JSON key: bid

exchange URL: https://api.bitfinex.com/v1/pubticker/LTCUSD
exhange rate JSON key: last_price
ticker currency: USD
field 1 JSON key: ask
field 2 JSON key: last_price
field 3 JSON key: bid
movellan

Activity: 353
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 14, 2019, 09:52:10 AM

Thank you, sir. Worked nicely.
paduser

Activity: 432
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 06, 2019, 11:23:39 AM

First I want to say thanks for the work.

Also I got a little issue.
If I change some variables in the gadget, for example switch from LTC/BTC to LTC/USD, nothing happens.
After I restart the sidebar I noticed the gadget spams the API Server with requests.

Am I doing something wrong?
Domchi (OP)

View Profile
October 06, 2019, 11:33:18 AM

First I want to say thanks for the work.

Also I got a little issue.
If I change some variables in the gadget, for example switch from LTC/BTC to LTC/USD, nothing happens.
After I restart the sidebar I noticed the gadget spams the API Server with requests.

Am I doing something wrong?

Check the values under "Updates" section in settings. They might be too low. For example, for exchange data update interval in seconds, if you're not a trader, 600 (seconds, or 10 minutes) is quite enough. Also, if you're having multiple instances of the gadget, be aware that they will all refresh as soon as sidebar starts them, as soon as they start.
paduser

Activity: 432
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 06, 2019, 10:02:30 PM

Thanks for the reply.
I did add the value you recommended but the behavior didn't change.
I still get 100 api request per second after I apply the settings.

What I noticed it's only on my Windows 10 machine with "8gadgetpack" installed.
Maybe that's the reason for the strange behavior?

Thanks
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: