Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 08:46:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 [588] 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 ... 661 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][XCP] Counterparty - Pioneering Peer-to-Peer Finance - Official Thread  (Read 1276301 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
fartbags
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1004

View Profile
September 02, 2015, 07:59:38 AM

Is XCP still relevant in the crypto scene?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
deliciousowl

Activity: 432
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 02, 2015, 08:58:04 AM

Is anything except XCP and its Bitcoin meta-protocol relevant at all currently? I'm having trouble with my search... Everything else seems to be an out of consensus Bitcoin fork.

bitcoinrocks
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 02, 2015, 01:26:40 PM

Keep talking about Symbiont in this thread becomes a little bit off topic. We all know now the first priority of Symbiont is the private ledger and their potential big customers are banks. Let's concentrate on the progress of Counterparty itself.

Disagree.
bitwhizz
Legendary

Activity: 910

View Profile
September 02, 2015, 01:29:09 PM

Is anything except XCP and its Bitcoin meta-protocol relevant at all currently? I'm having trouble with my search... Everything else seems to be an out of consensus Bitcoin fork.

+1

However as i said back in the beginning of post-burn, and again now, Counterparty needs greater marketing effort.
Symbiont is a small fish in the sea of potential adopters yet whenever i check this thread symbiont is all everyone talks about.
Counterparty revolutionises finance, it hitches on the back of bitcoin protocol fame, security and robustness. It makes new coins like ethereum irrelevent.
Question is,
How can we maximise efforts to tell the world about Counterparty?
thats all that is needed!
bitcoinrocks
Legendary

View Profile
September 02, 2015, 02:13:34 PM

+1

However as i said back in the beginning of post-burn, and again now, Counterparty needs greater marketing effort.
Symbiont is a small fish in the sea of potential adopters yet whenever i check this thread symbiont is all everyone talks about.
Counterparty revolutionises finance, it hitches on the back of bitcoin protocol fame, security and robustness. It makes new coins like ethereum irrelevent.
Question is,

I disagree.  Any crypto project that could use Counterparty will already consider using Counterparty.
bitwhizz
Legendary

View Profile
September 02, 2015, 02:29:12 PM

+1

Question is,

I disagree.  Any crypto project that could use Counterparty will already consider using Counterparty.
I am not solely talking about crypto projects
bitcoinrocks
Legendary

View Profile
September 02, 2015, 02:57:32 PM

+1

Question is,

I am not solely talking about crypto projects

I think that's (part of) what Symbiont is up to.
Matt Y

Activity: 647
Merit: 510

Counterpartying

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2015, 04:13:34 PM

+1

Question is,

Symbiont is the best marketing you could ever ask for.

bitwhizz
Legendary

View Profile
September 02, 2015, 05:24:50 PM

+1

Question is,

i know its great marketing,
but its not the only marketing Counterparty should be relying on,
deliciousowl

Activity: 432
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 07, 2015, 07:50:30 PM

+1

Question is,

i know its great marketing,
but its not the only marketing Counterparty should be relying on,

There needs to be more exposure in the developer community I think. With the Ethereum smart contracts VM, there will also be more focus on XCP. At the moment the secret is in the code...

BitThink
Legendary

Activity: 882

View Profile
September 08, 2015, 10:14:35 AM

Smart contracts has been added in testnet long long ago, when the price was pumped over 0.02. Then first "need more tests on testnet."; then "wait until Etherrium release cause they did not accept pull request before releasing; then after Etherium was released, "wait until it is fully tested in Etherium platform".

To me it's more like "currently we have more important things to do for our potential big customers. Let Etherium to do all the smart contract coding first."

Sorry if I made a mistake and smart contracts are already online or soon to be online.
bitcoinrocks
Legendary

View Profile
September 08, 2015, 02:27:23 PM

BitThink has a point.  It seems like there's always an excuse to push back smart contracts on mainnet.
Matt Y

Counterpartying

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2015, 05:12:07 PM

You can either believe what they say (as we have no reason not to) or think they are lying for one reason or another. It's up to you.

freedomfighter

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 08, 2015, 08:10:50 PM

BitThink has a point.  It seems like there's always an excuse to push back smart contracts on mainnet.

there is enough history with the founders to give them credit. no one is lying.

if someone thinks that maybe it is time to move on.

it actually makes sense to see that the ETH platform is safe enough. it will get attacked most likely at some point is and is in alpha and dangerous (according to the frontier web site)
bitcoinrocks
Legendary

View Profile
September 08, 2015, 10:41:44 PM

Not a conspiracy theory.  More an expression of mild frustration.
BitThink
Legendary

View Profile
September 09, 2015, 12:01:54 AM

You can either believe what they say (as we have no reason not to) or think they are lying for one reason or another. It's up to you.
The point is that the explanations are not consistent, which one should we believe?

If counterparty waited for mastercoin to be more mature, will there even be XCP? If people choose Ether for smart contract, will they come back to use XCP? If waiting for failure of ETH, at least you need to test before Etherium fails. No real test can be run on testnet cause there's no users there.

I am not saying they are lying, they are just short of time and energy on counterparty. Check the submit history of github yourself. I think this is reasonable. Running a Startup certainly takes up most of their time. They just need to admit it and hire someone else spend full time on counterparty or even fully transfer it to the community.
Matt Y

Counterpartying

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2015, 12:11:09 AM

The point is that the explanations are not consistent, which one should we believe?

If counterparty waited for mastercoin to be more mature, will there even be XCP? If people choose Ether for smart contract, will they come back to use XCP? If waiting for failure of ETH, at least you need to test before Etherium fails. No real test can be run on testnet cause there's no users there.

I am not saying they are lying, they are just short of time and energy on counterparty. Check the submit history of github yourself.

Things change. That's the way it is. They were waiting to see what Ethereum launched with and then adjusted when new information came in.

Mastercoin is still not mature so not sure how to answer that.

If people choose Ethereum over Bitcoin, then that's a choice they make. It's Bitcoin and Counterparty or Ethereum. Not Counterparty or Ethereum.

They clearly stated they are waiting for security audits to be run, not sure how that turns into waiting for Ethereum to fail.

It's also been stated that there is a large unpublished update that's going live to GitHub soon. Keep an eye out for it.

BitThink
Legendary

View Profile
September 09, 2015, 07:28:56 AM

Exactly. How about Etherium never matures?

If people choose Ethereum over Bitcoin, then that's a choice they make. It's Bitcoin and Counterparty or Ethereum. Not Counterparty or Ethereum.
Smart contracts requires currency to be escrowed. So no BTC, has to be either ETH or XCP.

They clearly stated they are waiting for security audits to be run, not sure how that turns into waiting for Ethereum to fail.
The reason why waiting for ETH release they said is not to create forks so if Etherium fails users can change to counterparty.
It's also been stated that there is a large unpublished update that's going live to GitHub soon. Keep an eye out for it.
It's not like the last commits are months ago. It's like the last commit was recent, but there's only 1 digit commits each month for the previous months. Not just the master branch, but also the dev branch. And most of the changes are on document.

Unless there's a unpublished "smart contract" branch, which I admit is possible. Let's wish we can see the updates soon.

Finally, Matt, you are really a great PR of counterparty. they really should include you in the foundation. No sarcasm, I am serious.
Matt Y

Counterpartying

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2015, 03:14:12 PM
Last edit: September 09, 2015, 03:29:47 PM by Matt Y

Exactly. How about Etherium never matures?

Smart contracts requires currency to be escrowed. So no BTC, has to be either ETH or XCP.

The reason why waiting for ETH release they said is not to create forks so if Etherium fails users can change to counterparty.
It's not like the last commits are months ago. It's like the last commit was recent, but there's only 1 digit commits each month for the previous months. Not just the master branch, but also the dev branch. And most of the changes are on document.

Unless there's a unpublished "smart contract" branch, which I admit is possible. Let's wish we can see the updates soon.

Finally, Matt, you are really a great PR of counterparty. they really should include you in the foundation. No sarcasm, I am serious.

1. Waiting for security audits and some platform stability of the VM is different than Ethereum maturing. Ethereum is a huge undertaking compared to the part Counterparty uses and some parts may never mature. For example, Counterparty does not have to wait for proof of stake to be implemented on Ethereum, which is what Ethereum originally promised after citing proof of work as the devil... then they launched with proof of work, lol.

2. Counterparty will be BTC aware and will have the security of the Bitcoin network, which has a 4+ year track record. It will take a long time before serious financial transactions happen on Ethereum, because nobody can be certain it's safe at this time, let alone when/if POS is actually implemented (I think they're hoping a year from now?) and it will remain unproven for another X months/years.

3. Yeah, there will be a large update to GitHub soon which will eliminate the concerns you rightly have on this issue. Not sure it's smart contract related, but it will demonstrate that they've been working quite a bit on the Counterparty related code.

4. I agree. Wink I did not run for anything though as I did quite a bit earlier in the project and was short on time when the elections came around (having a baby soon and needed to make some money). I think the guys who have those positions now are doing a great job and have a skill set that better matches this phase of the project than me. I do what I can here, in this thread, as there is a lot of misinformation and people who have not interacted with the Founders directly worry a lot about various things, and rightly so. I'd stake my personal reputation on their ethics and commitment to the project, though.

freedomfighter

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 10, 2015, 04:40:16 PM

2. Counterparty will be BTC aware and will have the security of the Bitcoin network, which has a 4+ year track record. It will take a long time before serious financial transactions happen on Ethereum, because nobody can be certain it's safe at this time, let alone when/if POS is actually implemented (I think they're hoping a year from now?) and it will remain unproven for another X months/years.
[/quote]

The above is one of the most important positives about this project in particular and about the crypto world in general (as far as where to invest). The BTC network is the most likely to be the go-to blockchain by large players, even if each of them currently plays around with other blockhains. The fact that the BTC network has been attacked numerous times and withstood it could make it the platform of choice for a conservative legacy player. If indeed the founders are still in it in a serious way, then this project's chances are relatively strong.

and congratulations on the new addition. put aside some BTC for him/her.  Wink  
Pages: « 1 ... 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 [588] 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 ... 661 »
  Print  

Jump to: