Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 06:08:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 [415] 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 ... 661 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][XCP] Counterparty - Pioneering Peer-to-Peer Finance - Official Thread  (Read 1276290 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
xpay

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 02:08:08 AM

Go compare NXT's UI (http://nxt.org) to Counterpary's UI.  NXT's is definitely winning on the UI front.  Counterparty has feeds, betting and CFDs, which NXT doesn't do yet.  NXT has a decentralised asset exchange with faster trading via 1 minute block times and doesn't waste any energy because it's proof-of-stake.  Counterparty has 10 minute block times and relies on Bitcoin, which requires a couple nuclear power plants to run.

There are advantages and disadvantages when comparing Counterparty with other decentralized exchanges.  NXT is by far the most user friendly I have found.

One of Swarm's main focuses for the next couple months will be improving the user experience around Counterparty, after which we expect that no one will be able to say that NXT or any other altcoin has better UI.

We plan to do this through swarming other coins, so if you have anything in particular you are itching to do please contact me. We want to support you and the XCP ecosystem.

Glad to hear that

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
xbet.io

Activity: 62
Merit: 14

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 10:09:58 AM

We wanted to let our users know that our hosting company is experiencing some issues, thus our website is currently unavailable.

We will allow them to sort things out for a few hours and after that we will run our own tests to make sure our system is healthy.

This process will take several hours to complete and therefore we will not broadcast results for several hours.

Our information is backed up so there is no need to be concerned about open bets you have made. All broadcasts will take place as soon as we will be back online.

We can be contacted through bitcointalk.

Thank you for your patience.

We have completed our testing.

Website is back online.

Come bet on today's matches:

Australia vs. Spain

Netherlands vs. Chile

Cameroon vs. Brazil

Croatia vs. Mexico

Bet safe with BTC - XBet.IO. Be your own bookie!
- You choose your odds - Bets are anonymous - Instant bets - No login
hughjays77

Activity: 728
Merit: 504

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 10:45:59 AM
Last edit: June 23, 2014, 10:59:03 AM by hughjays77

please explain to me how I can store my XCp on my computer. I cannot find a wallet for my windows 7 computer.

I am totally confused. Is their actually a functioning wallet I can use to store XCP ?
Is XCP related to bitcoin ?
deliciousowl

Activity: 432
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 11:57:04 AM

please explain to me how I can store my XCp on my computer. I cannot find a wallet for my windows 7 computer.

I am totally confused. Is their actually a functioning wallet I can use to store XCP ?

XCP is the internal Counterparty currency and technically "a part of Bitcoin" and can be stored on normal Bitcoin addresses.

Maybe this can help: https://www.counterparty.co/get-started/
There is also a web wallet: http://counterwallet.co

You can send XCP to any Bitcoin address and redeem them later, as long as you have the private key.

chong ching

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 12:03:02 PM

XCP is the internal Counterparty currency and technically "a part of Bitcoin" and can be stored on normal Bitcoin addresses.

You can send XCP to any Bitcoin address and redeem them later, as long as you have the private key.

there is a guide on xbet.io for how to buy xcp and use the counterparty webwallet here
Spekulatius
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 01:19:38 PM

What will happen if someone puts up an illegal asset? Has anybody raised that question yet?

Lets say somone anonymous creates an asset that infringes on some companies copyrights, called "Facebook" or "Nintendo" for example?
Or if I create an asset that makes money with illegal activities like DDOS blackmail or sale of drugs. Would a SilkRoad-asset be allowed to exist and is there any way to remove it? What is the official policy of the devs if they have regarding those cases?
Bitcoin++

Activity: 180
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 01:50:14 PM

Questions about the escrow:

If I understand correctly, all actions in counterparty send some dust amounts of BTC and embeds some metadata. Since OP-return only allows 40 bytes, and this is not enough, the escrow function is used as well. One of the addresses is my own and the other is non-existing address. The non-existing address contains some metadata. (1) Did I get this right?

I find on blockchain.info that 0.1086 mBTC are locked on each escrow. (2) Is there any way to release these?
PhantomPhreak (OP)

Activity: 476
Merit: 300

Counterparty Chief Scientist and Co-Founder

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 01:51:05 PM

What will happen if someone puts up an illegal asset? Has anybody raised that question yet?

Lets say somone anonymous creates an asset that infringes on some companies copyrights, called "Facebook" or "Nintendo" for example?
Or if I create an asset that makes money with illegal activities like DDOS blackmail or sale of drugs. Would a SilkRoad-asset be allowed to exist and is there any way to remove it? What is the official policy of the devs if they have regarding those cases?

Counterparty is an open platform, like Bitcoin itself, and no one (not even a dev) is capable of removing or renaming other users' assets
PhantomPhreak (OP)

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 01:53:43 PM

If I understand correctly, all actions in counterparty send some dust amounts of BTC and embeds some metadata. Since OP-return only allows 40 bytes, and this is not enough, the escrow function is used as well. One of the addresses is my own and the other is non-existing address. The non-existing address contains some metadata. (1) Did I get this right?

I find on blockchain.info that 0.1086 mBTC are locked on each escrow. (2) Is there any way to release these?

1) That's correct, yes.

2) Yep: http://api.bitwatch.co/redeem
Bitcoin++

Activity: 180

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 06:52:02 PM

1) That's correct, yes.

2) Yep: http://api.bitwatch.co/redeem

Great  Smiley
Thanks for quick feedback.
hughjays77

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 09:02:16 PM

Thank you. The site helped a bit as well as the first & last 20pages of the thread. I think the whole concept is brilliant yet after 40pages + extra reading I still dont feel I have a handle on what exactly Counterparty is and its potential. I can see 90% of people that end up here would never hang around. Its all very very confusing even to people with some technical ability. So you have some level of my ability.. my first computer was a TRS-80, I can do some basic C+ programming and I can compile in Linux. 90% of ALT coin users are windows based non technical users. I am surprised if even 10% of people that initially visit would hang around.  

Before we even get to slick videos, https://www.counterparty.co/get-started/ needs a total revamp for newbies. The 1st post on the thread also needs a total revamp. XCP is highly confusing for the newbie and spoon feeding is required for elementary things.

The 1st post on thread and homepage on website should have EASY TO UNDERSTAND paragraphs on each below:

1) What is counterparty ? [ in tech and easy speak]

2) Why should I be interested in counterparty ? [with real and potential simple examples]

3) How do I buy XCP ? [ past[proof of burn,etc] & present way ]

4) How do I store XCP ? [ simple explanations of the 3 wallet types and again why one may need the entire bitcoin blockchain & qt ]

5) A quick outline of future plans for Counterparty including other ALT blockchain links, etc, etc

The above is a basic start that would have maybe 50-75% of the people hanging around to maybe even try to understand the more complex issues like asset creation, etc

Matt Y

Activity: 647
Merit: 510

Counterpartying

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2014, 10:34:38 PM
Last edit: June 23, 2014, 11:34:06 PM by Matt Y

I agree for the most part with the above post. Here is a contribution to new text should it be changed.

(For the "description" part of the OP)

For people who are dissatisfied with centralized financial solutions and institutions, Counterparty is a peer-to-peer financial market which provides a medium for secure transactions that do not require a trusted third party. Unlike Wall Street, we have assembled a free to use software platform that allows everyone access to financial instruments that were previously cost prohibitive or not available.

hughjays77

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 12:30:36 AM

Thanks Matt,

I like your write up. This would be part 1 of my suggestion. I would add a few examples. Perhaps an example of a bet, a contract and a loan between friends/family

I agree for the most part with the above post. Here is a contribution to new text should it be changed.

(For the "description" part of the OP)

For people who are dissatisfied with centralized financial solutions and institutions, Counterparty is a peer-to-peer financial market which provides a medium for secure transactions that do not require a trusted third party. Unlike Wall Street, we have assembled a free to use software platform that allows everyone access to financial instruments that were previously cost prohibitive or not available.

eg. A

eg. B

eg. C

PhantomPhreak (OP)

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 01:00:20 AM

Announcement: Over the past few weeks, we've been doing a lot of work on the fee algorithm that Counterparty uses, and now transactions are effectively much cheaper than before. In particular, 'send' transactions can store all of their Counterparty metadata in a 40-byte OP_RETURN output, and you can now specify the exact fees paid for each transaction, as well as the default fee-per-KB amount, dust sizes, and so on. Multi-sig outputs need not be used, so no difficult-to-spend funds need to be sent back to your self at all.

This transaction is an example of a modern send transaction that cost only US $0.01 in fees, with a $0.03 output to the destination. It was constructed and broadcast with the following command: counterpartyd.py send --source=SOURCE --destination=DEST --quantity=1 --asset=XCP --encoding='opreturn' --fee=.00002, and it was confirmed almost immediately. If you're moving lots of assets around, or sending one asset to many users, you can use this script to automate the process and keep costs as low as possible.
hughjays77

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 01:54:00 AM

thats great news ( I have no clue what it means ] but sounds all good.

Announcement: Over the past few weeks, we've been doing a lot of work on the fee algorithm that Counterparty uses, and now transactions are effectively much cheaper than before. In particular, 'send' transactions can store all of their Counterparty metadata in a 40-byte OP_RETURN output, and you cit sounds all good an now specify the exact fees paid for each transaction, as well as the default fee-per-KB amount, dust sizes, and so on. Multi-sig outputs need not be used, so no difficult-to-spend funds need to be sent back to your self at all.

This transaction is an example of a modern send transaction that cost only US $0.01 in fees, with a $0.03 output to the destination. It was constructed and broadcast with the following command: counterpartyd.py send --source=SOURCE --destination=DEST --quantity=1 --asset=XCP --encoding='opreturn' --fee=.00002, and it was confirmed almost immediately. If you're moving lots of assets around, or sending one asset to many users, you can use this script to automate the process and keep costs as low as possible.
romerun
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1001

Bitcoin is new, makes sense to hodl.

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 02:04:55 AM

Announcement: Over the past few weeks, we've been doing a lot of work on the fee algorithm that Counterparty uses, and now transactions are effectively much cheaper than before. In particular, 'send' transactions can store all of their Counterparty metadata in a 40-byte OP_RETURN output, and you can now specify the exact fees paid for each transaction, as well as the default fee-per-KB amount, dust sizes, and so on. Multi-sig outputs need not be used, so no difficult-to-spend funds need to be sent back to your self at all.

WoW ! This is huge. Let's get it on reddit shall we ? http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/28xfxd/counterparty_transaction_has_finally_switched_to/
daviducsb

Activity: 155

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 02:13:30 AM

I transferred some btc to counter wallet, tried to exchange for XCP and no exchange but .028 BTC disappeared. It appears a commission was taken without performing the function of the currency exchange. Can anybody help? Around $16 at today's price but not very encouraging...
PhantomPhreak (OP)

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 02:45:39 AM

I transferred some btc to counter wallet, tried to exchange for XCP and no exchange but .028 BTC disappeared. It appears a commission was taken without performing the function of the currency exchange. Can anybody help? Around $16 at today's price but not very encouraging...

There aren't any commisions in Counterwallet, though there are Bitcoin fees which are paid to miners. Please PM me with all of the details of your usage (addresses involved, transaction hashes, timestamps, etc.), so that we can figure out what exactly happened. It's quite possible the trade is still in progress, and it's just taking longer than you might expect.
Patel
Legendary

Activity: 1321
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2014, 03:04:10 AM

Maybe it was used to prime? and probably waiting for confirmations.
udecker

Activity: 142
Merit: 252

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 05:36:30 AM

Nicely done, guys!

This is for sends only?  Other transactions types don’t fit?

]
Pages: « 1 ... 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 [415] 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 ... 661 »
  Print  

Jump to: