Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 11:16:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 [436] 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 ... 661 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][XCP] Counterparty - Pioneering Peer-to-Peer Finance - Official Thread  (Read 1276325 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
cityglut

Activity: 216
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 10:13:10 AM

@DEV, a guy named porqupine found a vulnerability, it can be used to attack XCP and cause our money lost, could you fix this issue

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=708879.0

His post in reddit:
Please don't feed the troll:
Please respond to the fact that I'm well known in this community, that there is working source code, and you've both refused my offer to make a CFD so I could demonstrate the vulnerability, and blocked all my posts from the bitcointalk thread.
Why would I spend months designing a website for CFD's and than try to discredit them? And further if there is no exploit, why wouldn't you make a CFD and prove me wrong, rather than trying to censor me?

http://www.reddit.com/r/counterparty/comments/2bmlg6/ann_counterparty_exploit_public_disclosure/

Please see PhantomPhreak's post directly above yours. The feature is being disabled in order to deal with the bug.

EDIT: to be perfectly clear, the bug is such that by making small CFDs against a large one, you can effectively increase the latter's exposure. This is an implementation issue, and is being fixed.
Chang Hum

Activity: 714
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 10:21:19 AM

Isn't Porqupine the person behind XCPfeeds.info?
cityglut

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 10:26:15 AM

Yes.
Chang Hum

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 10:31:33 AM

Yes.

Wow unless I'm missing something isn't it extremely arrogant of the XCP team to dismiss an intelligent senior member of Bitcointalk like this, He's clearly invested a lot of time and thought into this project and you seem to be deleting all his posts and branding him a troll.
cityglut

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 10:33:55 AM

Yes.

Wow unless I'm missing something isn't it extremely arrogant of the XCP team to dismiss an intelligent senior member of Bitcointalk like this, He's clearly invested a lot of time and thought into this project and you seem to be deleting all his posts and branding him a troll.

The way PhantomPhreak dealt with porcupine's criticisms was inappropriate. However, I do recommend that you read further about the issue and try to understand where the disagreements lie.
Chang Hum

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 11:11:05 AM

Yes.

The way PhantomPhreak dealt with porcupine's criticisms was inappropriate. However, I do recommend that you read further about the issue and try to understand where the disagreements lie.

I did try before posting, however Porqupine's post history and linking off the reddit thread only link to one interaction between the two.

"There is no security vulnerability. There is a bug in the current CFD implementation (open for discussion as GitHub Issue #191), which we are working on fixing now. User porcupine does not understand how the protocol works, and he is spamming and trolling, that's all. Please just ignore him."

As in Porqupine's post history he lays down logical and mathematical reasoning to why he believes theirs fault with the CFD implementation, I'm confused why that isn't tackled on head on to explain why he's mistaken.

If I'm missing something please can you link me to where I can read further about the issue and try to understand where the disagreements lie.
cityglut

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 11:18:57 AM

Yes.

I did try before posting, however Porqupine's post history and linking off the reddit thread only link to one interaction between the two.

"There is no security vulnerability. There is a bug in the current CFD implementation (open for discussion as GitHub Issue #191), which we are working on fixing now. User porcupine does not understand how the protocol works, and he is spamming and trolling, that's all. Please just ignore him."

As in Porqupine's post history he lays down logical and mathematical reasoning to why he believes theirs fault with the CFD implementation, I'm confused why that isn't tackled on head on to explain why he's mistaken.

If I'm missing something please can you link me to where I can read further about the issue and try to understand where the disagreements lie.

The bug *is* acknowledged by PhantomPhreak; it's a disagreement in terminology: PhantomPhreak's point is that it is not a "security vulnerability" in the sense that the multi-sig bug in February was.

Beyond that, there is disagreement as to how it can be fixed. Please see: https://github.com/CounterpartyXCP/counterpartyd/pull/190 and  https://github.com/CounterpartyXCP/counterpartyd/issues/191.
Fernandez
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 11:28:01 AM

Just wanted to know, is there any talk or even idea of moving the Counterparty onto a faster, less dependent on whims of th eCartel chain? There are a couple of PoS schemes which look promising. If  they prove robust enough over time is there a chance that we will move?

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

Chang Hum

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 11:29:12 AM

The bug *is* acknowledged by PhantomPhreak; it's a disagreement in terminology: PhantomPhreak's point is that it is not a "security vulnerability" in the sense that the multi-sig bug in February was.

Beyond that, there is disagreement as to how it can be fixed. Please see: https://github.com/CounterpartyXCP/counterpartyd/pull/190 and  https://github.com/CounterpartyXCP/counterpartyd/issues/191.

Thanks
magaiver007

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 12:17:49 PM

hello, could I have a help. I was sending bitcoins from counterparty wallet to get storj ipo  and the computer stuck and I had to restart the computer. After restarting computer when i logged on again and  there was no transactions pending, no bitcions and and no storj , what should i do? Did i lose the money? Please help!
JahPowerBit

Activity: 335
Merit: 255

Counterparty Developer

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 01:11:58 PM

Yes.

The way porqupine presented the bug is false and unacceptable. Especially from a respected member who clearly invested a lot time in Counterparty: when a lot of people listen to you, you have to pay attention on each word you use. It's no only a semantical debate with no importance, and PP just make his job of lead developer, when he disagree with porqupine wording.
Everybody in the team, include PP, have a great respect for porqupine, his works and his words. But I personally think, that is no acceptable to declare a war because we disagree with the solution he proposed. It is unacceptable to want to convince us by force. Even if you try, retry and retry to convinced with words, if you do not succeed that not give you right to use 'violent' means. Especially when goals are the same for all of us: make Counterparty better.
JahPowerBit

Activity: 335
Merit: 255

Counterparty Developer

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 01:18:49 PM

hello, could I have a help. I was sending bitcoins from counterparty wallet to get storj ipo  and the computer stuck and I had to restart the computer. After restarting computer when i logged on again and  there was no transactions pending, no bitcions and and no storj , what should i do? Did i lose the money? Please help!

most probably your send succeeded, but you don't receive yet storjcoin. Please check the address with blockchain.info and blockscan.
Chang Hum

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 01:24:46 PM

Sure, I accept I was missing something beyond what was visible on this forum from the links Xnova posted. It rang an alarm bell seeing someone who I know's heavily involved and invested in the project having his posts deleted and being called out as a troll, and perhaps for the sake of PR if nothing else could have been handled better by both sides.

Yes.

The way porqupine presented the bug is false and unacceptable. Especially from a respected member who clearly invested a lot time in Counterparty: when a lot of people listen to you, you have to pay attention on each word you use. It's no only a semantical debate with no importance, and PP just make his job of lead developer, when he disagree with porqupine wording.
Everybody in the team, include PP, have a great respect for porqupine, his works and his words. But I personally think, that is no acceptable to declare a war because we disagree with the solution he proposed. It is unacceptable to want to convince us by force. Even if you try, retry and retry to convinced with words, if you do not succeed that not give you right to use 'violent' means. Especially when goals are the same for all of us: make Counterparty better.

[/quote

mtbitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 876

Etherscan.io

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 02:13:58 PM
Last edit: July 26, 2014, 03:03:10 AM by mtbitcoin

most probably your send succeeded, but you don't receive yet storjcoin. Please check the address with blockchain.info and blockscan.

EDIT: issue resolved as per bottom post. Flask requires python 3.3 and above

Please do not check with blockscan, at least until I get the daemon running again. The latest update due to the CFD has broken my install even after attempting to install pip. Any assistance is of course appreciated

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\counterpartyd_build\dist\counterpartyd\counterpartyd.py", line 21, in <module>
    from lib import config, api, util, exceptions, bitcoin, blocks, blockchain
  File "C:\counterpartyd_build\dist\counterpartyd\lib\api.py", line 16, in <module>
    import flask
  File "C:\Python32\lib\site-packages\flask\__init__.py", line 17, in <module>
    from werkzeug.exceptions import abort
  File "C:\Python32\lib\site-packages\werkzeug\__init__.py", line 154, in <module>
    __import__('werkzeug.exceptions')
  File "C:\Python32\lib\site-packages\werkzeug\exceptions.py", line 111
    return u'<p>%s</p>' % escape(self.description)

EtherScan::Ethereum Block Explorer | BlockScan::Coming Soon
xnova

Activity: 390
Merit: 254

Counterparty Developer

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 02:58:04 PM

Please do not check with blockscan, at least until I get the daemon running again. The latest update due to the CFD has broken my install even after attempting to install pip. Any assistance is of course appreciated

File "C:\counterpartyd_build\dist\counterpartyd\counterpartyd.py", line 21, in <module>
  File "C:\counterpartyd_build\dist\counterpartyd\lib\api.py", line 16, in <module>
    import flask
  File "C:\Python32\lib\site-packages\werkzeug\__init__.py", line 154, in <module>

EDIT: Actually I see you're on windows. I'll have instructions soon for that. Assuming you already tried to rerun the setup script? Add me on Skype "xnovaxcp", and I can work with you interactively to resolve.

Try the following:

counterpartyd only, if using the build system manually (assuming that counterpartyd_build is installed into your home directory):
sudo ~/counterpartyd_build/env/bin/pip install --upgrade -r ~xcp/counterpartyd_build/dist/counterpartyd/pip-requirements.txt

If running a federated node:
sudo ~xcp/counterpartyd_build/env/bin/pip install --upgrade -r ~xcp/counterpartyd_build/dist/counterpartyd/pip-requirements.txt
sudo ~xcp/counterpartyd_build/env.counterblockd/bin/pip install --upgrade -r ~xcp/counterpartyd_build/dist/counterblockd/pip-requirements.txt

Visit the official Counterparty forums: http://counterpartytalk.org
mindtomatter

Activity: 434

Editor-in-Chief of Let's Talk Bitcoin!

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2014, 02:59:38 PM

Just wanted to know, is there any talk or even idea of moving the Counterparty onto a faster, less dependent on whims of th eCartel chain? There are a couple of PoS schemes which look promising. If  they prove robust enough over time is there a chance that we will move?

http://dogeparty.io

Let's Talk Bitcoin! Interviews, News & Analysis released Tuesdays and Saturdays
http://www.LetsTalkBitcoin.com - Listener Mail -> adam@letstalkbitcoin.com
mtbitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 876

Etherscan.io

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 04:57:44 PM

import flask

EDIT: Actually I see you're on windows. I'll have instructions soon for that. Assuming you already tried to rerun the setup script? Add me on Skype "xnovaxcp", and I can work with you interactively to resolve.

Try the following:

counterpartyd only, if using the build system manually (assuming that counterpartyd_build is installed into your home directory):
sudo ~/counterpartyd_build/env/bin/pip install --upgrade -r ~xcp/counterpartyd_build/dist/counterpartyd/pip-requirements.txt

sudo ~xcp/counterpartyd_build/env/bin/pip install --upgrade -r ~xcp/counterpartyd_build/dist/counterpartyd/pip-requirements.txt
sudo ~xcp/counterpartyd_build/env.counterblockd/bin/pip install --upgrade -r ~xcp/counterpartyd_build/dist/counterblockd/pip-requirements.txt

I figured this out... at last

Flask requires at minimum Python 3.3 and above. However, the minimum requirements prior to this was python 3.2 as per the counterparty install docs. I had to reinstall with 3.3 and it worked

I would recommend updating the docs to reflect this and also with new download links to the pre-reqs on the docs page

Cheers

EtherScan::Ethereum Block Explorer | BlockScan::Coming Soon
Janitor

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 05:11:59 PM

hello, could I have a help. I was sending bitcoins from counterparty wallet to get storj ipo  and the computer stuck and I had to restart the computer. After restarting computer when i logged on again and  there was no transactions pending, no bitcions and and no storj , what should i do? Did i lose the money? Please help!

import flask

Try the following:

Flask requires at minimum Python 3.3 and above. However, the minimum requirements prior to this was python 3.2 as per the counterparty install docs. I had to reinstall with 3.3 and it worked

I would recommend updating the docs to reflect this and also with new download links to the pre-reqs on the docs page

Cheers

Yes, the docs were updated but didn't get merged to master prior to the release.
The issue was also posted:
https://github.com/CounterpartyXCP/counterpartyd/issues/207

It's an FAQ
https://www.counterparty.co/resources/faqs/can-counterparty-work-on-blockchains-other-than-bitcoin/

IMO as long as fiat and virtual currencies are priced in BTC, it's impractical to run away from Da Blocartelchain. To exit and enter you need to use Da Blocartelchain.
xnova

Activity: 390

Counterparty Developer

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 05:12:56 PM

import flask

Try the following:

Cheers

Excellent. Ripper/Sean and I are working on a doc update for windows right now. Will be complete here shortly.

Visit the official Counterparty forums: http://counterpartytalk.org
LordMeowMeow

Activity: 617
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 06:42:11 PM

Just bought my first XCPs! Holding strong Smiley
Pages: « 1 ... 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 [436] 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 ... 661 »
  Print  

Jump to: