Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 11:14:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 [484] 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 ... 661 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][XCP] Counterparty - Pioneering Peer-to-Peer Finance - Official Thread  (Read 1276288 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
weex
Legendary

Activity: 1102
Merit: 1014

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 03:49:08 PM

I'm trying to understand all this. What is the difference between counterparty and clearinghouse? And why would one choose one platform over another? Are they both compatible with btc? A good friend of mine told me to come here and check out clearinghouse, he said that is the platform his company is actively looking at implementing into their business (a gaming company) much like how overstock is doing with counterparty.
The main difference is which block chain each system is on. Counterparty rides on Bitcoin so benefits from the best network security and longest track record. I don't know what tweaks Clearinghouse has made but it is conceivable that they have some features that don't know xist or aren't enabled for Counterparty.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ElTomeko27

Activity: 371
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 03:50:32 PM

I just went to clearinghouses page and it says they are based off the counterparty protocol and also run on the bitcoin blockchain. In other words they are a counterparty clone without the exposure and interest of big companies. As far as which is better? Well if they are clones then from a technical standpoint both are pretty much the same, the big difference will be in the people who are the lead developers of the coin and also the "community" of the coin. In the case of counterparty, the CEO of Overstock specifically said in his speech that he went to a bitcoin conference, met the counterparty guys "randomly" and had such a good connection with the devs he decided on the spot that he wanted to work with them.

Clearinghouse runs on the Viacoin blockchain not BTC.
TechGen

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 03:55:33 PM

That makes sense, thanks guys. This is all very new to me still.
GeminiSimba

Activity: 176
Merit: 100

Ain't no party like a Counterparty!

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 04:18:14 PM

I just went to clearinghouses page and it says they are based off the counterparty protocol and also run on the bitcoin blockchain. In other words they are a counterparty clone without the exposure and interest of big companies. As far as which is better? Well if they are clones then from a technical standpoint both are pretty much the same, the big difference will be in the people who are the lead developers of the coin and also the "community" of the coin. In the case of counterparty, the CEO of Overstock specifically said in his speech that he went to a bitcoin conference, met the counterparty guys "randomly" and had such a good connection with the devs he decided on the spot that he wanted to work with them.

I stand corrected, in that case Counterparty is definitely better to choose since the crypto ecosystem is starting to show as such that anything running on the ultra secure bitcoin blockchain is better than starting a new blockchain or using one less secure.

"You see, you and I, we believe in life. But you want to fight for it, to kill for it, even to die--for life. I only want to live it."  (Ayn Rand)
romerun
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1001

Bitcoin is new, makes sense to hodl.

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 04:56:39 PM

There's the reason why an alt should never surpass Bitcoin, because if it happens, it will break trust in both. Put it simple, how can investors, like Wallst, be sure that the alt won't be surpassed by newer alts ? So it should/will not happen.

Same logic can be applied to Counterparty, clones or other protocols on top of blockchain technology cannot compete with the original.
nakaone

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 04:58:06 PM

I stand corrected, in that case Counterparty is definitely better to choose since the crypto ecosystem is starting to show as such that anything running on the ultra secure bitcoin blockchain is better than starting a new blockchain or using one less secure.

first this and second much more imporantly

every week more btc adresses are added than any other altcoin has in total - counterparty indirectly uses this network effect.
deliciousowl

Activity: 432
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 06:06:34 PM

Food for thought, and why using the BTC Blockchain is a good idea.

Linked by Gavin in his AMA:

"Distributed Consensus from Proof of Stake is Impossible"
https://download.wpsoftware.net/bitcoin/pos.pdf

TechGen

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 06:16:32 PM

But from what I understand, isn't clearinghouse compatible with, but not reliant on the bitcoin blockchain? Giving it flexibility and security? Sorry if this is a dumb question, I'm a novice.
Matt Y

Activity: 647
Merit: 510

Counterpartying

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2014, 06:22:13 PM

But from what I understand, isn't clearinghouse compatible with, but not reliant on the bitcoin blockchain? Giving it flexibility and security? Sorry if this is a dumb question, I'm a novice.

No. Clearinghouse is not on Bitcoin. You're either on Bitcoin or you're not and Clearinghouse is not. It could be made to work with Bitcoin because Clearinghouse is a clone of Counterparty, but then, Counterparty is already on Bitcoin. If being on Bitcoin were not such a huge advantage the Counterparty developers could move it to another chain in a day or so. They won't because there is absolutely no reason to be on another chain, but it is possible. Any flexibility and security feature that Clearinghouse has, it has because the Counterparty developers wrote the code and open sourced it on GitHub so that other people could use it as well.

GeminiSimba

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 06:22:21 PM

I just want to come in and laugh at how hoarding everyone is on bter. I put in an order for 1.5 XCP (JUST 1.5!!) and it took almost an hour for the order to go through LMAO. People are holding to the max.

"You see, you and I, we believe in life. But you want to fight for it, to kill for it, even to die--for life. I only want to live it."  (Ayn Rand)
TechGen

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 06:43:09 PM

Ok, I think I understand. What I don't quite get yet is why would, say a gaming company, launch a gambling game on clearinghouse opposed to counterparty? I'm told because clearinghouse is much faster? Sorry if this is off topic.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2014, 06:52:07 PM

Clearinghouse is not on Bitcoin. You're either on Bitcoin or you're not and Clearinghouse is not. It could be made to work with Bitcoin because Clearinghouse is a clone of Counterparty, but then, Counterparty is already on Bitcoin. If being on Bitcoin were not such a huge advantage the Counterparty developers could move it to another chain in a day or so. They won't because there is absolutely no reason to be on another chain, but it is possible. Any flexibility and security feature that Clearinghouse has, it has because the Counterparty developers wrote the code and open sourced it on GitHub so that other people could use it as well.

There are  plenty of reasons to be on another chain.  Faster blocks, friendly relations with chain devs, quicker/better implementation of new features/bugfixes/etc.

Your absolute denial of them makes your position less reasonable and thus weaker, not stronger.

As for the forced choice between "either on Bitcoin or you're not"...treechains are coming!

http://bitcointlv.com/en/Agenda/Day-2-October-20

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
GeminiSimba

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 06:55:04 PM

Ok, I think I understand. What I don't quite get yet is why would, say a gaming company, launch a gambling game on clearinghouse opposed to counterparty? I'm told because clearinghouse is much faster? Sorry if this is off topic.

Well according to their page - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=734674.0
It does say their coin is faster, but you have to think a bit logically here, counterparty tokens (xcp) run on the bitcoin blockchain, which means they run as fast as bitcoin. Thus clearinghouse is in essence saying their coin runs faster than bitcoin, which is totally fine but another thought is do you find any company unsatisfied with bitcoins speed today? Is there any companies just dying to get a coin faster than btc? You don't really hear about such things...thus if having a coin that runs faster than counterparty is a perk it's a pretty cheap perk in my opinion.

TechGen

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 07:09:30 PM

Clearinghouse is not on Bitcoin. You're either on Bitcoin or you're not and Clearinghouse is not. It could be made to work with Bitcoin because Clearinghouse is a clone of Counterparty, but then, Counterparty is already on Bitcoin. If being on Bitcoin were not such a huge advantage the Counterparty developers could move it to another chain in a day or so. They won't because there is absolutely no reason to be on another chain, but it is possible. Any flexibility and security feature that Clearinghouse has, it has because the Counterparty developers wrote the code and open sourced it on GitHub so that other people could use it as well.

There are  plenty of reasons to be on another chain.  Faster blocks, friendly relations with chain devs, quicker/better implementation of new features/bugfixes/etc.

Your absolute denial of them makes your position less reasonable and thus weaker, not stronger.

As for the forced choice between "either on Bitcoin or you're not"...treechains are coming!

Yes, this is what I'm learning. I will say for certain, I know that a big social gaming co might be the first to make this jump to clearinghouse. From what I'm told, they simply weren't happy with counterparty for whatever reason. Though they haven't ruled out counterparty, they seem to be more intrigued with clearinghouse. I have no idea when this will happen, but I'm told the first move will be merging a type of betting game on the platform as an experiment. I was also told that they are even exploring offering company shares through the platform as well. Meanwhile, I'm still just sitting here trying to figure it all out.
Matt Y

Activity: 647
Merit: 510

Counterpartying

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2014, 07:21:41 PM
Last edit: October 21, 2014, 07:40:02 PM by Matt Y

There are  plenty of reasons to be on another chain.  Faster blocks, friendly relations with chain devs, quicker/better implementation of new features/bugfixes/etc.

How another project that cloned Counterparty is going to out compete Counterparty devs (who have proven to develop quicker than just about anyone) by putting out features and bug fixes faster than the guys who wrote the software in the first place completely escapes me.

You're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine and I do agree that my opinion is quite absolute, but it's not based out of some sort of denial.

Equality 7-2521

Activity: 118
Merit: 10

A difference which makes a difference

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2014, 07:47:13 PM

http://counterparty.io/news/counterparty-community-update-oct-2014/

Congratulations on the new hire! Keep up the great work everyone!

PhantomPhreak (OP)

Activity: 476
Merit: 300

Counterparty Chief Scientist and Co-Founder

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 07:49:42 PM

Thanks for posting that!

On the Bitcoin subReddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2jx405/counterparty_community_update_oct_2014/
GeminiSimba

View Profile
October 21, 2014, 10:00:04 PM

http://counterparty.io/news/counterparty-community-update-oct-2014/

Congratulations on the new hire! Keep up the great work everyone!

"We have another major announcement that we will be making sometime over the next few weeks. Stay tuned!"

Jeez you guys are advancing in the space way too fast...I remember my excitement back in March when I got into Vertcoin because it was going to be the first altcoin that was "asic resistant". I was so gungho thinking that would be a big seller...well we all know how that turned out haha good thing I invested my vtc into a startup before they fell below .001btc.  Anyways that level of excitement that I had then is like 100 fold right now for XCP. I almost feel that being a protocol to revolutionize the investing world will be that "killer app" that everyone has been waiting for that will bring on the huge adoption of bitcoin.

Equality 7-2521

Activity: 118
Merit: 10

A difference which makes a difference

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2014, 10:42:56 PM

My quick attempt at visualizing the current Counterparty ecosystem. I don't have the skills to do this justice so I hope someone is inspired to create and maintain a better one!

Patel
Legendary

Activity: 1321
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2014, 12:15:50 AM

great visualization.

and this is just for a bit of humor

Pages: « 1 ... 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 [484] 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 ... 661 »
  Print  

Jump to: