Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 06:18:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 [511] 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 ... 661 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][XCP] Counterparty - Pioneering Peer-to-Peer Finance - Official Thread  (Read 1276301 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
GeminiSimba

Activity: 176
Merit: 100

Ain't no party like a Counterparty!

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 12:17:05 AM

You will not find the ideal answer to your question here. I am a business person and investor myself, so I understand you when you talk about counterparty having or not having proprietary code or business plans etc..
The problem with your question is you are asking coders about their business plan so that you can decide on whether to invest...The coders create code out of their own pocket, not with the idea to profit (if they do profit as in the case with Overstock CEO hiring them) that is great but they create innovative technology without the assumption that their ideas will stay only with them. In this open source world of creating innovative code, nothing is "proprietary". Just as we incorporated ethereum into our code, other alt coins or alt chains can certainly build counterparty-like systems on their chains. You cannot do anything to stop that.

With all that said knowing that everything is open source, knowing that this is a protocol (not a business) you want to potentially (and rightfully so) profit from the growth in price and value of XCP. Because of your desire to profit as an investor in XCP you wish to get reasons why you should invest with this Counterparty asset over any other system (like ethereum or paycoin). There can only be one logical answer to your question. That is the potential of highly profitable companies (Actual businesses that have actual products tangible or not) that will be built on top the Counterparty protocol vs being built on Ethereum or Paycoin or any other protocol. How can you know if multi million dollar or multi billion dollar companies will build their business' on Counterparty rather than those competitors? Unfortunately, the truth of it is you don't know.... But you can make a speculative and informed guess that investing into XCP will be worth it even if those other protocols find success. Why do I say that? Because Counterparty is ran on the Bitcoin blockchain rather than it's own blockchain, this means it's automatically going to be more secure than any of the other coins you've mentioned in any of your messages. Bitcoin has over 90% of the market value of all crypto currencies, Bitcoin has first mover advantage and that is HUGE. Counterparty is the only protocol of it's kind that runs on the Bitcoin blockchain...If you can't make an informed investment decision with this information, I don't know what to tell you. But please stop spamming this thread with stuff about hashcoin/paycoin...

"You see, you and I, we believe in life. But you want to fight for it, to kill for it, even to die--for life. I only want to live it."  (Ayn Rand)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
PhantomPhreak (OP)

Activity: 476
Merit: 300

Counterparty Chief Scientist and Co-Founder

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 12:25:05 AM

You will not find the ideal answer to your question here. I am a business person and investor myself, so I understand you when you talk about counterparty having or not having proprietary code or business plans etc..
The problem with your question is you are asking coders about their business plan so that you can decide on whether to invest...The coders create code out of their own pocket, not with the idea to profit (if they do profit as in the case with Overstock CEO hiring them) that is great but they create innovative technology without the assumption that their ideas will stay only with them. In this open source world of creating innovative code, nothing is "proprietary". Just as we incorporated ethereum into our code, other alt coins or alt chains can certainly build counterparty-like systems on their chains. You cannot do anything to stop that.

Just to be clear, Counterparty does not have any proprietary code or 'business plans'. Counterparty is a non-profit, open-source project through and through.
getts

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 02:33:20 AM

GeminiSimba, thank you for making an attempt to answer my question.  What you have addressed, regarding the value of Counterparty, is precisely the dilemma: Paycoin is allegedly also coded onto the Bitcoin blockchain according to the WSJ article.  If this design is what has made Counterparty so unique and valuable, then this exclusivity may not continue moving forward into the future.

At this point, it seems impossible to know if the open source Counterparty code will be implemented into Paycoin.  But it would certainly make sense to thoroughly investigate and know the  facts before pulling the trigger on any sizable position in either currency.  

I will speculate and say that if I were the one with big bucks like Cantor Fitzgerald backing Paycoin, who does $20 trillion dollars in financial transactions per year, I would certainly want to implement the very best technical approach presently available, which IMHO is Counterparty coding.  
Anotheranonlol

Activity: 588
Merit: 504

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 03:43:49 AM
Last edit: November 26, 2014, 07:13:27 AM by Anotheranonlol

GeminiSimba, thank you for making an attempt to answer my question.  What you have addressed, regarding the value of Counterparty, is precisely the dilemma: Paycoin is allegedly also coded onto the Bitcoin blockchain according to the WSJ article.  If this design is what has made Counterparty so unique and valuable, then this exclusivity may not continue moving forward into the future.

At this point, it seems impossible to know if the open source Counterparty code will be implemented into Paycoin.  But it would certainly make sense to thoroughly investigate and know the  facts before pulling the trigger on any sizable position in either currency.  

I will speculate and say that if I were the one with big bucks like Cantor Fitzgerald backing Paycoin, who does $20 trillion dollars in financial transactions per year, I would certainly want to implement the very best technical approach presently available, which IMHO is Counterparty coding.  

If you (as a supposed independent investor) want to discuss paycoin, go to the appropriate thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.1020

(You are also free to discuss on hashtalk, or converse amongst the other many shill grounds but it's common knowledge critical opinions will be censored (you will also face a negative effect in the loss of points), or you will receive threatening cease and desist notices.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2l7myv/
http://dcmagnates.com/gaw-miners-accused-of-ponzi-practices-ceo-garza-defends-company/
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2ng2aa/gaw_makes_threat_to_coin_fire_directly_via_email/

romerun
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1001

Bitcoin is new, makes sense to hodl.

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 04:18:33 AM

here are reasons why am I hodling my XCP

-protocol over bitcoin blockchain. Although in 2 years we could see sidechain merged into bitcoin and hundreds of alts born in the there, protocol over blockchain is one of a kind. There are pros and cons on both approaches, so I don't think counterparty would be obsolete by sidechain, not to mention counterparty can be moved to sidechain too if sidechain is the clear winner. So far, there are only 2 platforms over bitcoin blockchain, us and mastercoin. Even counterparty does not become the internet of bitcoin 2.0, there's a good chance to become the internet of bitcoin 2.0 over blockchain.

-those hashcoin, paycoin, honestly first time I hear about them, sounds like another alt chains. So they will have to fight in the 2nd league, pts, nxt, stellar, ethereum and whatnot. If nothing goes wrong in the technical side of bitcoin, I do believe bitcoin will be the Internet of money. It doesn't mean all alts die, of course, just be irrelevant, especially those that have no relation to bitcoin. Again, even if bitcoin is not to be what we hope for, counterparty can still adapt.

-I trust movement, I don't trust company/organization. See how shit hit fan on mastercoin? Same could totally happen to ethereum, although so far they seems to have more organized team behind it.

-counterparty team is solid. In the cryptomoney market, putting trust on people seems to work so far, at least I don't get screwed by scammers or incompetent irresponsible people. Oh so paycoin involves with that GAW thing, it's piece of shit then, done.
yeXIABC

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 08:43:20 AM

Having people using the protocol is what will bring the ROI.
deliciousowl

Activity: 432

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 09:25:12 AM

Not recognizing true value of XCP is my favorite thing about crypto market psychology.

okman007

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 09:28:12 AM

can't understand so many words.
PhantomPhreak (OP)

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 01:13:43 PM

Let's keep the discussion here focused on Counterparty. (PayCoin, in particular, seems to have no real connection to Counterparty or its functionality, and there already exist multiple clones of Counterparty on faster blockchains.)
Equality 7-2521

Activity: 118
Merit: 10

A difference which makes a difference

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2014, 02:24:38 PM

Let's keep the discussion here focused on Counterparty. (PayCoin, in particular, seems to have no real connection to Counterparty or its functionality, and there already exist multiple clones of Counterparty on faster blockchains.)

Here, here. Keep up the great work!

Not recognizing true value of XCP is my favorite thing about crypto market psychology.

I agree. Until Counterparty is traded on a significant exchange the price is meaningless. I have a feeling that as soon as Kraken sort out their takeover of Mt.Gox and their push into the Japanese market they are the type of exchange who will support XCP and other CP asset trading. Before this happens a few things would help facilitate that:

1. Desktop/Server CP client (with GUI).
2. Enterprise security features: Multi-sig, Trezor Support etc. Think Armory for Counterparty.
3. At least a few high trading volume XCP assets (A version of Nubits [possibly one for every major Fiat curency] built on top of Counterparty would achieve this). Swarm really taking off could establish this too.
4. Establishment of the Counterparty Foundation (an official body that can be consulted for help).
5. Counterparty turning 1 year old (soon!).
6. Understanding that the Decentralized Exchange can be a powerful tool for a Centralized Exchange to interface with.
7. Understanding that the Smart Contracts can be a powerful tool for a Centralized Exchange to interface with.

Did I miss anything?

PhantomPhreak (OP)

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 03:16:07 PM

I agree. Until Counterparty is traded on a significant exchange the price is meaningless. I have a feeling that as soon as Kraken sort out their takeover of Mt.Gox and their push into the Japanese market they are the type of exchange who will support XCP and other CP asset trading. Before this happens a few things would help facilitate that:

2. Enterprise security features: Multi-sig, Trezor Support etc. Think Armory for Counterparty.
3. At least a few high trading volume XCP assets (A version of Nubits [possibly one for every major Fiat curency] built on top of Counterparty would achieve this). Swarm really taking off could establish this too.
4. Establishment of the Counterparty Foundation (an official body that can be consulted for help).
6. Understanding that the Decentralized Exchange can be a powerful tool for a Centralized Exchange to interface with.
7. Understanding that the Smart Contracts can be a powerful tool for a Centralized Exchange to interface with.

Did I miss anything?

That's a good list! Smiley

(1) is in the works. re: (2), multisig is almost ready, and Trezor should work today AFAIK. (4), too, is already done! The rest of the list is sort of out of the Foundation's hands. Wink
Equality 7-2521

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2014, 06:59:52 PM

Did I miss anything?

That's a good list! Smiley

(1) is in the works. re: (2), multisig is almost ready, and Trezor should work today AFAIK. (4), too, is already done! The rest of the list is sort of out of the Foundation's hands. Wink

Thanks for the response Adam. I knew about most of that progress, but that is just because I keep up to speed on developments. What is interesting is how people new to Counterparty will react in say, 6 months, when they stumble upon this project which has an incredibly powerful infrastructure and ecosystem. Even looking at it know there is a sense of "Crikey, they thought of everything!".

One thing I forgot to mention on that list can be captured by what I addressed to the Blockscan developer in his thread earlier today -

How well are you prepared for a huge amount of traffic directed towards Blockscan.com? I am aware of a number of projects (one in particular, once the free Asset Issuance rolls out) that will use online Counterparty Block Explorers (currently only Blockscan) heavily. Is there any way to pay for increased use of your API? Could you add more functionality to your API?

Are you familiar with services like https://block.io/ and https://chain.com/? Have you thought about positioning yourself to serve the corresponding Counterparty Market? Particularly focusing on "Enterprise" solutions? Perhaps you could be a go to service that the impending Counterparty Foundation recommends?

How many nodes are you connected to at any one time? I.e. are you well protected from a sybil attack?

Essentially, having one or more dedicated Counterparty/Bitcoin API companies may facilitate more innovation and applications even more quickly!

P.S: That is great to hear about the Trezor support. If it actually rolls out in Counterwallet shortly, then it could be the first wallet besides "myTrezor" - https://mytrezor.com/ - to officially support it! Electrum and Armory have yet to roll out their respective official implementations. On that note, Counterwallet is an absolutely awesome web wallet. Is there any chance of marketing it more to regular Bitcoin users?

yeXIABC

Activity: 266

View Profile
November 27, 2014, 12:12:39 AM

very good progress
Equality 7-2521

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2014, 12:17:25 PM

I'd like to run the idea of an "offline" Counterparty Database by people. Right now by running a full Counterparty/Bitcoin node one gets their new updated set of Counterparty data every 10 minutes-ish with the release of each new valid Bitcoin Block (assuming there is even any new Counterparty data in the most recent Bitcoin block).

What if an application only needs a daily or weekly or yearly snapshot of all the Counterparty Data? If we had a hash of all Counterparty Data embedded in the Bitcoin Blockchain regularly,  every 100 blocks say. Then an application could download just the most recent snapshot from any source (p2p, usenet, torrents, cloudstorage, ftp etc.). By using any trusted Bitcoin API or Blockexplorer they could check the hash of their downloaded Counterparty Data against the embedded hash.

This allows certain applications to remain disconnected from the internet for a period of time. Better still, the checkpoint hashes could be broadcasted via radiowaves (low cost, low power) to ensure the integrity of the data. In this case an application with a Counterparty snapshot could remain offline forever (if that makes sense for the application in question).