Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:24:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Silk Road: anonymous marketplace. Feedback requested :)  (Read 152729 times)
elewton

Activity: 407
Merit: 100

DIA | Data infrastructure for DeFi

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 10:49:13 AM

The easiest thing to do is to download the Tor Browser Bundle.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
42kang

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 10:50:58 AM

doh, thanks bud.
evilpothead

Activity: 2

View Profile
May 20, 2011, 09:22:19 AM

hey guise:) 

feedback for idea: *****
feedback for community: *****

now, I haven't bought anything yet. Cause i would like to discuss some issues 1st. So, say i order something, what details would i give..I would need to give a valid phone number for the courier service to contact me. Tell me what you did

I am a bit worried that at some point the package will be scanned or somehow checked. So the cops/courier service will know whats inside.

whats your thoughts on all this
BitterTea

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 20, 2011, 01:06:38 PM
Last edit: May 20, 2011, 02:25:25 PM by BitterTea

Most sellers ship via postal service I believe. At least in the US I believe they need a warrant to open mail. Don't use your real name if you can avoid it, and if you know of a place other than your home that you can securely/anonymously receive a package, use that address. Don't include a phone number.
protagonist

Activity: 8

View Profile
May 20, 2011, 01:21:42 PM

Can anyone actually access Silk Road since last weekend?
BCEmporium
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 20, 2011, 02:06:50 PM

From TorDir:

Last check unix timestamp: 1305832581
Last status: On
Delay: 80 seconds
Successful checks: 85
Failure checks: 109

██████████████████            ██████████
████████████████              ██████████
██████████████          ▄█   ███████████
████████████         ▄████   ███████████
██████████        ▄███████  ████████████
████████        ▄█████████  ████████████
██████        ▄███████████  ████████████
████       ▄██████████████ █████████████
██      ▄███████████████████████████████
▀        ███████████████████████████████
▄          █████████████████████████████
██▄         ▀███████████████████████████
████▄        ▀██████████████████████████
██████▄        ▀████████████████████████
████████▄        ████████████████▀ █████
██████████▄       ▀█████████████  ██████
████████████▄       ██████████   ███████
██████████████▄      ▀██████    ████████
████████████████▄▄     ███     █████████
███████████████████▄    ▀     ██████████
█████████████████████▄       ███████████
███████████████████████▄   ▄████████████

▄█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███▄                ▄███            █████            ████████████████   ████████████████▄             █████
███▀                 ███             ███   ███   ████▄              ▄████           ███████           ███                ███           ▀███           ███████
███                  ███             ███   ███   █████▄            ▄█████          ███▀ ▀███          ███                ███            ███          ███▀ ▀███
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███ ███▄        ▄███ ███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄        ███                ███           ▄███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄
███                  ███████████████████   ███   ███  ▀██▄      ▄██▀  ███       ▄███▀     ▀███▄       ████████████████   ████████████████▀        ▄███▀     ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███   ▀███    ███▀   ███      ▄███▀       ▀███▄      ███                ███        ███          ▄███▀       ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███    ▀███  ███▀    ███     ▄███▀         ▀███▄     ███                ███         ███        ▄███▀         ▀███▄
███▄                 ███             ███   ███   ███      ██████      ███    ▄███             ███▄    ███                ███          ███      ▄███             ███▄
▀█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███       ████       ███   ▄███               ███▄   ████████████████   ███           ███    ▄███               ███▄

|
  TRUE BLOCKCHAIN GAMING PLATFORM 
DECENTRALISED AUTONOMOUS UNIVERSES

HOME PAGE                                                                  WHITE PAPER 
|
Ϛ

Activity: 7

View Profile
May 20, 2011, 02:49:22 PM

Can anyone actually access Silk Road since last weekend?
I've been on it everyday since last weekend.
Wdave

Activity: 8

View Profile
May 21, 2011, 04:37:12 AM

Seems like The Silk Road is down at the moment.  Undecided
Ϛ

Activity: 7

View Profile
May 21, 2011, 04:47:52 AM

Seems like The Silk Road is down at the moment.  Undecided
Up for me.
pasqal

Activity: 1

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 08:00:57 PM

I'm new to Silk Road, the anonymous newsletter pointed me here. SR sounds like a great idea, but its website says it's closed to new visitors...? I'd really like access, is there anything I can do to arrange it?
cuddlefish

Activity: 364

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 08:03:25 PM

I'm new to Silk Road, the anonymous newsletter pointed me here. SR sounds like a great idea, but its website says it's closed to new visitors...? I'd really like access, is there anything I can do to arrange it?

You need to come through Tor.
anisoptera

Activity: 308
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 25, 2011, 06:01:19 PM

Hi there I'm working on a project somehow similar to "Silk Road" called:

http://bitcoinaction.com/

We want to collect 1000 email in 30days of people interested to get Bitcoin deals similar to Groupon. If you like the idea please leave your mail, if you don't please tell me why Smiley

I think having a critical mass (aka lobbying) could be critical when it comes to convince business to accept BTCs.

How is this in any way like Silk Road? Have you even been there?

anisoptera

Activity: 308
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 27, 2011, 05:14:51 PM

Silk Road is building a market place via tor, on an eBay kind of model.

Yes. Though it's only like eBay in that sellers receive feedback.

Apart from "marketplace", what's similar about your service? Again, have you been to Silk Road? The types of things that are sold there aren't exactly conducive to a Groupon type thing. I doubt "much higher exposure" is on the list of goals for SR sellers.

And on top of that, you want to convince businesses to accept BTC with it, so you can't be similar to SR. I'm sure a business would love to run a "deal" on such a site.  Roll Eyes

I'm not saying that "Groupon with bitcoins" is necessarily a terrible idea. I'm saying it's completely unrelated to SR and advertising it here is basically spam.

Also I'm not sure what "a lot of bitcoin owners but very few bitcoin sellers" means. People selling bitcoins? People selling things for bitcoins? There aren't as many people taking BTC as payment as we'd like, but the way to change that isn't "Hey, offer a discount for paying in this currency that you don't even know exists."

BitterTea

View Profile
May 27, 2011, 06:37:57 PM

He's spamming his site all over the forum.

In other news...

Has anyone considered that Silk Road (and other similar sites) actually makes the drug trade less, in spite of prohibition? Consider the combination anonymity, escrow/arbitration, and a reputation system.

Reputation allows buyers to make informed decisions, escrow gives both buyer and seller added protection against fraud, arbitration gives both parties a non-violent recourse to disputes, and anonymity protects against any violent recourse outside the system. Notably, anonymity not only protects from violent recourse from other traders, but also from law enforcement.

Just something I was thinking about...
FatherMcGruder

Activity: 322

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2011, 06:45:59 PM

Has anyone considered that Silk Road (and other similar sites) actually makes the drug trade less, in spite of prohibition? Consider the combination anonymity, escrow/arbitration, and a reputation system.

Reputation allows buyers to make informed decisions, escrow gives both buyer and seller added protection against fraud, arbitration gives both parties a non-violent recourse to disputes, and anonymity protects against any violent recourse outside the system. Notably, anonymity not only protects from violent recourse from other traders, but also from law enforcement.

Just something I was thinking about...
I think Silk Road is still a little too esoteric to make much of a difference, but, yes, I agree. It means less business for the dealers at the ends of distribution chains who do nasty things and/or try too hard to make friends with customers.

Use my Trade Hill referral code: TH-R11519

Check out bitcoinity.org and Ripple.

Shameless display of my bitcoin address:
1Hio4bqPUZnhr2SWi4WgsnVU1ph3EkusvH
chops666

Activity: 14

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 07:52:03 PM

iv followed all the steps. ive downloaded tor, its running. i close and reopen fire fox and then click on the link again to go to it and it says its down till july 1st. i have a MacBook Pro. is there anything else i need to do?
FatherMcGruder

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2011, 08:22:30 PM

If you're too retarded to figure it out we don't want you there. There's already been a bunch of articles about it published which will probably ruin the site.
FFS don't be such a bogart.

iv followed all the steps. ive downloaded tor, its running. i close and reopen fire fox and then click on the link again to go to it and it says its down till july 1st. i have a MacBook Pro. is there anything else i need to do?
If that's what Silk Road's Tor Hidden Service (the .onion site) says, then you'll just have to wait.

chops666

Activity: 14

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 08:26:05 PM

thanks mcgruder. i just want to share my hobby with people. the other dude didnt need to be a dick.
BitterTea

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 08:34:35 PM

thanks mcgruder. i just want to share my hobby with people. the other dude didnt need to be a dick.

I think you might be visiting the landing page on the regular internet, not the Silk Road itself. Try this link instead.

Also, I would highly recommend downloading the Tor browser bundle in order to use Tor in the most secure way possible.
FatherMcGruder

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2011, 09:33:59 PM

Hey man, an injury to one is an injury to all.

I just checked and the site is up. I forgot how much I hate the use of the Thai bhat symbol for bitcoin. Why, Silk Road, why? But I digress. Try this link if BitterTea's doesn't work. Tor can be finicky, so be patient.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 »
  Print  

Jump to: