Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:32:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Silk Road: anonymous marketplace. Feedback requested :)  (Read 152729 times)
Drifter

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 02:46:00 PM

I don't believe anyone claimed that parents and children never make the wrong decision.  However if your proposal is that the Government is more likely to make the correct decision then I will have to disagree wholeheartedly.

Point taken.

And sorry for the OT discussion. Carry on  Grin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
greenfloyd

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2011, 03:07:39 PM

I find your statement to be pretty offensive to so called "children".  You are implying that they are completely helpless and have no ability to make decisions with consequences.  In my book, if they can figure out how to use the internet, tor encryption, bitcoin, order something through SR, all without it being detected by anyone who cares to stop them, they are certainly mature enough to comprehend the consequences.  Please consider that you are turning kids into bubble boy (if you've seen that movie).   

Kids are often offended by restrictions imposed on them by parents and other adults.  Kids also often think they are indestructible and know everything.  Maturity, in many ways, is the awareness of your own mortality, and ignorance.  Plenty of "smart" people, young and old, remain very immature.  Especially when it comes to drugs.
greenfloyd

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2011, 04:16:09 PM

Guess what? There's parents like that out there arleady  Shocked. Ever see those vids of parents giving their kids weed or chain smoking cigarettes? I've seen one or two where the parents gave them ecstasy. The kid seems to slightly enjoy himself even, besides his eyes shooting back and forth. Uncommon, but it happens, and in those situations the child doesn't have options to say no. I guess some would say the courts have to decide if the child is mature enough or not to make the decision for himself? Hm. Tricky.

I don't believe anyone claimed that parents and children never make the wrong decision.  However if your proposal is that the Government is more likely to make the correct decision then I will have to disagree wholeheartedly.

I don't want to encourage off-topic discussion here, although I think it's important that both Bitcoin and Silk Road deal with the legal and moral implications of their current business model.  However, if it's an act of defiance against our screwed-up drug laws and NOT actually engaged in any transactions, I wholeheartedly support it.  Yet, from what I've learned so far, that does not appear to be the case.

If you, Phenomenon, eliminate government's role in drug policy aren't you then simply advocating the status quo and encouraging the prison-industrial complex along with a host of other serious social, economic and humanitarian problems?  Somebody is going to control the drugs.  Who or what do you recommend?
BitterTea

Activity: 294

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 04:19:07 PM

If you, Phenomenon, eliminate government's role in drug policy aren't you then simply advocating the status quo and encouraging the prison-industrial complex along with a host of other serious social, economic and humanitarian problems?  Somebody is going to control the drugs.  Who or what do you recommend?

What? If the government abandoned its drug control policy, who would be arresting people and putting them in jail for drug manufacture/distribution/use‽‽‽
hans030390

Activity: 8

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 04:29:03 PM

Now that government officials have publically mentioned their knowledge of Silk Road, what can they actually do about it, the people running it, and the people that use it? This isn't an area I have much knowledge in, so I'm interested to hear thoughts on this given that I think Silk Road is an excellent idea.
Phenomenon

Activity: 29

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 04:38:16 PM

I don't want to encourage off-topic discussion here, although I think it's important that both Bitcoin and Silk Road deal with the legal and moral implications of their current business model.  However, if it's an act of defiance against our screwed-up drug laws and NOT actually engaged in any transactions, I wholeheartedly support it.  Yet, from what I've learned so far, that does not appear to be the case.

By eliminating the government's role in drug policy I would be changing the current situation.  By definition this would be the opposite of advocating the status quo, so i'm not entirely sure what you are trying to say.

As far as "encouraging the prison-industrial complex along with a host of other serious social, economic, and humanitarian problems", again, I am unsure of what you are trying to say.  By removing government from the equation I am definitely not encouraging prisons of any sort.  To the contrary, I am discouraging people from being sent to prison as observed by BitterTea.  I am proposing that each person must bear the responsibility of deciding for themselves if they wish to consume drugs, alcohol, or other mind altering or even hazardous materials.  Obviously parents would be responsible for their children.  You are going to have to be more specific about all these "serious social, economic, and humanitarian problems" you foresee, because I don't see any except that people must take responsibility for their own persons and their own actions.
greenfloyd

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2011, 04:39:19 PM

What? If the government abandoned its drug control policy, who would be arresting people and putting them in jail for drug manufacture/distribution/use‽‽‽

That's a fair point.  Although we are getting off-topic, i.e. Silk Road and Bitcoin.  Seems to me government has already abandoned drug control, the actual number of people caught and drugs interdicted are but a small fraction of the total consumer market.  A market SR and Bitcoin seem to embrace, despite the low-life thugs and psychopathic killers who populate it.  You are known by the company you keep, my mother use to tell me.
FatherMcGruder

Activity: 322

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2011, 05:03:57 PM

‽‽‽
The interrobang: I love it. However, you should only ever put one at the end of a sentence lest, as I understand it, you defeat part of its purpose, to reduce punctuation. That is, a single interrobang serves the purpose of a question mark followed by an exclamation point, halving the punctuation you'd otherwise require to convey such a tone.

But, I digress...

Use my Trade Hill referral code: TH-R11519

Check out bitcoinity.org and Ripple.

Shameless display of my bitcoin address:
1Hio4bqPUZnhr2SWi4WgsnVU1ph3EkusvH
BitterTea

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 05:28:23 PM

Seems to me government has already abandoned drug control

In what sense?

From Federal drug control spending by agency:

(Budget Authority in Millions) [...] FY 2010 Request [...] $15,069.1

15 billion FEDERAL dollars spent on drug control in the United States.

From FBI arrest statistics:
The highest arrest counts among the Part I and Part II offenses were for drug abuse violations (estimated at 1,663,582 arrests), driving under the influence (estimated at 1,440,409), and larceny-theft (estimated at 1,334,933).

The arrest rate was 4,478.0 arrests per 100,000 inhabitants of the total estimated United States population. The arrest rate for violent crime (including murder and nonnegligent manslaughter, forcible rape, robbery, and aggravated assault) was 191.2 per 100,000 inhabitants, and the arrest rate for property crime (including burglary, larceny-theft, motor vehicle theft, and arson) was 571.1 per 100,000 inhabitants.

That second point isn't specifically drug related, but it's interesting to see that violent and property crimes account for a very small portion of the number of arrests (17%). Wonder what the rest were from...

the actual number of people caught and drugs interdicted are but a small fraction of the total consumer market.

That just means that their enforcement is not effective as per their stated goal. They can still be effective at ruining the lives of a significant percentage of the population simply for choosing to attain an altered state of consciousness or helping others do so.

A market SR and Bitcoin seem to embrace, despite the low-life thugs and psychopathic killers who populate it.

Utter bullshit. Using Silk Road dramatically lowers the chance of having a drug trade turn violent. Furthermore, its use of reputation, escrow, and arbitration dramatically lowers the chance of fraudulent behavior by either party.
greenfloyd

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2011, 05:33:17 PM

By eliminating the government's role in drug policy I would be changing the current situation.  By definition this would be the opposite of advocating the status quo, so i'm not entirely sure what you are trying to say.

As far as "encouraging the prison-industrial complex along with a host of other serious social, economic, and humanitarian problems", again, I am unsure of what you are trying to say.  By removing government from the equation I am definitely not encouraging prisons of any sort.  To the contrary, I am discouraging people from being sent to prison as observed by BitterTea.  I am proposing that each person must bear the responsibility of deciding for themselves if they wish to consume drugs, alcohol, or other mind altering or even hazardous materials.  Obviously parents would be responsible for their children.  You are going to have to be more specific about all these "serious social, economic, and humanitarian problems" you foresee, because I don't see any except that people must take responsibility for their own persons and their own actions.

Yes!  That's exactly why I am seeking clarification from Silk Road, Bitcoin and anyone involved in the illegal drug market today.  No one appears to be stepping forward, at least not yet, to give us an idea of where SR, etc. stand on the moral and ethical issues I and others have raised.  
It's a great item for debate, that much is for sure judging by recent events and this lively thread.  

Note about eliminating govt, it's often a choice of evils.  Shall we surrender civil society to blood-thirsty thugs, as is happening right now in parts of Mexico and Latin America?  Is that our future?  Somebody is going to control (and profit) from drugs no matter what.  Perhaps SR is something of a stepping-stone out of this quagmire.  I'd be interested on what, if any, role they envision for govt. if there were to be significant changes to current laws.  Or, does Silk Road consider itself above the law?

BitterTea

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 05:40:31 PM

Note about eliminating govt, it's often a choice of evils.  Shall we surrender civil society to blood-thirsty thugs, as is happening right now in parts of Mexico and Latin America?  Is that our future?

You seem to lack a basic understanding of the cause of the cartels' rise to power. Let me give you a hint: they love the war on drugs. Governments around the world (urged/coerced by the U.S.) have made drugs illegal, essentially handing a monopoly of drug production and distribution to violent individuals.

Somebody is going to control (and profit) from drugs no matter what.

If the production, distribution, and use of all drugs is legal, legitimate businesses will form to fill these roles. They will be protected by police and/or private security. Look at alcohol prohibition and the end of the same in order to see how a market run by thugs is transitioned to a peaceful one once it is no longer forced underground.

Perhaps SR is something of a stepping-stone out of this quagmire.  I'd be interested on what, if any, role they envision for govt. if there were to be significant changes to current laws.  Or, does Silk Road consider itself above the law?

It is a stepping stone. The government will either end the prohibition of drugs or go bankrupt trying to fight against sites like Silk Road.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 05:43:24 PM

Yes!  That's exactly why I am seeking clarification from Silk Road, Bitcoin and anyone involved in the illegal drug market today.  No one appears to be stepping forward, at least not yet, to give us an idea of where SR, etc. stand on the moral and ethical issues I and others have raised.  

We are not Silk Road.  Try talking to them.  Bitcoin is not related to Silk Road, beyond being an enabling technology.  None of us take any responsibility for what they are doing, nor are we responsible for trying to defend their position on anything.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
greenfloyd

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2011, 06:02:32 PM

Seems to me government has already abandoned drug control

In what sense?

From Federal drug control spending by agency:

(Budget Authority in Millions) [...] FY 2010 Request [...] $15,069.1

15 billion FEDERAL dollars spent on drug control in the United States.

From FBI arrest statistics:
The highest arrest counts among the Part I and Part II offenses were for drug abuse violations (estimated at 1,663,582 arrests), driving under the influence (estimated at 1,440,409), and larceny-theft (estimated at 1,334,933).

The arrest rate was 4,478.0 arrests per 100,000 inhabitants of the total estimated United States population. The arrest rate for violent crime (including murder and nonnegligent manslaughter, forcible rape, robbery, and aggravated assault) was 191.2 per 100,000 inhabitants, and the arrest rate for property crime (including burglary, larceny-theft, motor vehicle theft, and arson) was 571.1 per 100,000 inhabitants.

That second point isn't specifically drug related, but it's interesting to see that violent and property crimes account for a very small portion of the number of arrests (17%). Wonder what the rest were from...

the actual number of people caught and drugs interdicted are but a small fraction of the total consumer market.

That just means that their enforcement is not effective as per their stated goal. They can still be effective at ruining the lives of a significant percentage of the population simply for choosing to attain an altered state of consciousness or helping others do so.

A market SR and Bitcoin seem to embrace, despite the low-life thugs and psychopathic killers who populate it.

Utter bullshit. Using Silk Road dramatically lowers the chance of having a drug trade turn violent. Furthermore, its use of reputation, escrow, and arbitration dramatically lowers the chance of fraudulent behavior by either party.

I should have better qualified my comment.  Yes the spending is outrageous, it's now over a trillion since Nixon first declared this stupid "war" back in 1972.  Most of it a complete waste.  Bear in mind the vast majority of drug users, manufactures and distributors go undetected and thus render the law unenforceable by any legitimate measure.  That's not to suggest enforcement and imprisonment has not effected many, many people, with a disproportionate number being poor and minorities.  This part is, of course, by design.

While I don't suggest SR or Bitcoin would actively participate in acts of overt violence.  I still think we need to ask if selling tar heroin to a young teen isn't a from of violence in and of itself?

BitterTea

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 06:10:52 PM

While I don't suggest SR or Bitcoin would actively participate in acts of overt violence.  I still think we need to ask if selling tar heroin to a young teen isn't a from of violence in and of itself?

It's none of your business or mine, only that of the child and guardian.

In exactly the same way, I consider religious indoctrination to be a form of child abuse, but its none of my business if others indoctrinate their children into their choice of religion.
Phenomenon

Activity: 29

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 06:36:52 PM

Note about eliminating govt, it's often a choice of evils.  Shall we surrender civil society to blood-thirsty thugs, as is happening right now in parts of Mexico and Latin America?  Is that our future?  Somebody is going to control (and profit) from drugs no matter what.  Perhaps SR is something of a stepping-stone out of this quagmire.  I'd be interested on what, if any, role they envision for govt. if there were to be significant changes to current laws.  Or, does Silk Road consider itself above the law?

First of all I do not speak for Silk Road or for Bitcoin, as I am not affiliated directly with either. 

Second of all, I reject as false your assertion that eliminating government is "often a choice of evils" and would involve "surrender[ing] civil society to blood-thirsty thugs".  What is happening in Mexico and Latin America is a direct result of the government attempting to regulate something and being completely ineffective at it, which is causing mayhem.  Furthermore, if you think up all of the worst oppressions and "blood-thirsty thugs" that have plagued humanity over the course of history, you will find that the majority of them were governments.  In fact the most prosperous and happy societies in history were those with the most limited forms of government.

This has proceeded sufficiently off-topic now however that I will no longer reply to this train of thought in this thread, however if you wish to discuss how you think that government is necessary to save us all from the "blood-thirsty thugs", please feel free to create another thread and PM me the link.  I'd love to stop by.
ene

Activity: 42

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 06:38:09 PM

It's none of your business or mine, only that of the child and guardian.

In exactly the same way, I consider religious indoctrination to be a form of child abuse, but its none of my business if others indoctrinate their children into their choice of religion.

So you support people's right to abuse their children? I think you're exaggerating when you say you consider religious indoctrination to be a form of child abuse.
drugsmang

Activity: 27

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 06:38:39 PM

Christ, there's always some whiteknight idiot claiming mail order sites sell teens/children evuuul drugs

#1 they can probably already buy it, at school. i could in grade 9 dealers were everywhere.
#2 mail will probably get opened by parents and drugs seized. they would be too paranoid to order
#3 mail order is too expensive. what kid can afford to blow $100+ on drugs when they could just pay somebody's older bro/sis to go get them bitch bombs of winecoolers aka Panty Remover
#4 parents already have stashes of Oxy, Valium, Drugs and Booze kids are getting into easily (Didn't you?)
#5 dirtbag skids at my jr. high huffed gas in the parkinglot and shop class all the time. at least if they can smuggle real drugs past their parents, it isn't a rag soaked with freaking GAS

in other news I lol'd when that senator in the US said today he would pull the Silk Road domain. series of tubes, hurrderp let's seize that .onion domain derrrrrrr what

greenfloyd

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2011, 06:39:48 PM

We are not Silk Road.  Try talking to them.  Bitcoin is not related to Silk Road, beyond being an enabling technology.  None of us take any responsibility for what they are doing, nor are we responsible for trying to defend their position on anything.

Dear creighto,
Thank you for that clarification.  Although I do not understand what you mean by "enabling technology?"

So what is your role with Bitcoin?  Do you speak for the organization?
drugsmang

Activity: 27

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 06:41:42 PM

troll much?
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 06:41:49 PM

Dear creighto,
Thank you for that clarification.  Although I do not understand what you mean by "enabling technology?"

No, I speak only for myself.  I represent the owners of this forum in a limited fashion, but that is as far as it goes.  There is no bitcoin "organization".  If there were, this project would fail.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 »
  Print  

Jump to: