Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 05:48:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Silk Road: anonymous marketplace. Feedback requested :)  (Read 152725 times)
wb3

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

^Check Out^ Isle 3

View Profile
April 10, 2011, 04:14:46 PM

I have none experience in this matter but isn't it risky to ship illegal drugs worldwide?
Isn't outgoing mail checked by drug-sniffing dogs some times? At least when shipping from one country to another? Or are drug-dogs more uncommon than I think?

Depending on the country, but the police would have to prove you ordered the stuff and someone didn't 'accidentally' mail it to you. Perhaps an enemy?  Wink If they had the Bitcoin transaction traced to you - then your screwed.

If dogs are a problem in your jurisdiction they will vacuum seal it

That will stop air, not the smell. Enough PPM will get through for a good dog to still find.  And I am assuming your talking about MJ. While I don't do drugs, I never understood why people buy MJ. It is a weed that almost anyone can grow. If it is for personal use, you can grow enough from 1 or 2 bushes in your house and no one would be the wiser. Even in your back yard if you want to, but I bet the neighborhood kids would start coming around.

Net Worth = 0.10    Hah, "Net" worth Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
FooDSt4mP

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 10, 2011, 04:18:57 PM

I have none experience in this matter but isn't it risky to ship illegal drugs worldwide?
Isn't outgoing mail checked by drug-sniffing dogs some times? At least when shipping from one country to another? Or are drug-dogs more uncommon than I think?

Depending on the country, but the police would have to prove you ordered the stuff and someone didn't 'accidentally' mail it to you. Perhaps an enemy?  Wink If they had the Bitcoin transaction traced to you - then your screwed.

That will stop air, not the smell. Enough PPM will get through for a good dog to still find.  And I am assuming your talking about MJ. While I don't do drugs, I never understood why people buy MJ. It is a weed that almost anyone can grow. If it is for personal use, you can grow enough from 1 or 2 bushes in your house and no one would be the wiser. Even in your back yard if you want to, but I bet the neighborhood kids would start coming around.

If you get caught with a small bag of weed, it's usually a misdemeanor.  Cultivation is a whole different story, and almost always a felony.  It's almost a form of protection money.  You are paying the dealer to protect you from the risk of the government throwing you in prison.

As we slide down the banister of life, this is just another splinter in our ass.
wb3

Activity: 112

^Check Out^ Isle 3

View Profile
April 10, 2011, 04:44:00 PM

Yea, but if it is really for personal use, who is to know?

If you are lucky enough to live in the right climate, and next to woods, you wouldn't have to "cultivate" anything. Just let the weed grow.

Net Worth = 0.10    Hah, "Net" worth Smiley
FooDSt4mP

Activity: 182

View Profile
April 10, 2011, 04:52:49 PM

If you are lucky enough to live in the right climate, and next to woods, you wouldn't have to "cultivate" anything. Just let the weed grow.

Yes, given the right conditions there is little risk.  However, for most people the risk is too high, thus they pay others to manage the risk for them.  In urban areas, for example, you can only grow indoors.  And if your neighbor smells anything and rats you out you're fucked.  The cops also work with power companies to look for grow light patterns in electricity usage.  You can mitigate that by storing the electricity at a more constant rate, but that adds a lot of cost and time to set up.  You can hope they go after the bigger fishes first, but if they are looking to make a bust, a small fish making a few mistakes will be an easier target.  In the end, it's easier to just buy it unless your time is worthless, or you have some private land.

As we slide down the banister of life, this is just another splinter in our ass.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2011, 04:55:48 PM

Yes, given the right conditions there is little risk.  However, for most people the risk is too high, thus they pay others to manage the risk for them.  In urban areas, for example, you can only grow indoors.  And if your neighbor smells anything and rats you out you're fucked.  The cops also work with power companies to look for grow light patterns in electricity usage.  You can mitigate that by storing the electricity at a more constant rate, but that adds a lot of cost and time to set up.  You can hope they go after the bigger fishes first, but if they are looking to make a bust, a small fish making a few mistakes will be an easier target.  In the end, it's easier to just buy it unless your time is worthless, or you have some private land.

If you're a Bitcoin miner, then you have an advantage: you can get a Kill-A-Watt meter and once you know your usage, you can offset your lights off time with an even wattage of mining!

*smirk*

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
April 11, 2011, 04:47:45 AM

Obviously you have never actually tried this, because the result is some crappy product.  It's the female flower bud the produces the majority of the THC, and production dies if a male plant is nearby and the females are pollinated.  And growing outdoors means that plants are subject to being eaten, and there are a surprising numbers of creatures that really like to eat mj, from bugs to rabbits to deer.  To have any success at all, females need to be isolated and protected, which means "cultivation" in any practical sense.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
April 11, 2011, 04:51:31 AM

That will stop air, not the smell.

Glass will though.  A proper mason jar can defeat a drug dog, so long as the seal is proper, the top tight (and made of metal, not plastic) and there are no hairline cracks in the glass.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

flix
Legendary

Activity: 1227
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 11, 2011, 02:08:12 PM

>1000 users on silk road.. not bad
FatherMcGruder

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2011, 03:55:12 PM

Glass will though.  A proper mason jar can defeat a drug dog, so long as the seal is proper, the top tight (and made of metal, not plastic) and there are no hairline cracks in the glass.
Don't be so paranoid: http://reason.com/archives/2011/02/21/the-mind-of-a-police-dog?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+reason%2FArticles+%28Reason+Online+-+All+Articles+%28except+Hit+%26+Run+blog%29%29

Use my Trade Hill referral code: TH-R11519

Check out bitcoinity.org and Ripple.

Shameless display of my bitcoin address:
1Hio4bqPUZnhr2SWi4WgsnVU1ph3EkusvH
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
April 11, 2011, 06:29:57 PM

Don't be so paranoid:

Who is being paranoid?  If you were in this business, wouldn't you consider intelligent steps to avoid detection a prudent use of resources?

FatherMcGruder

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2011, 07:17:20 PM

Who is being paranoid?  If you were in this business, wouldn't you consider intelligent steps to avoid detection a prudent use of resources?
Dogs are not super narc sidekicks. Therefore, a buyer shouldn't freak out if his vacuum sealed contraband purchase came via mail not contained in a mason jar.

MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
April 11, 2011, 07:19:31 PM

Dogs are not super narc sidekicks. Therefore, a buyer shouldn't freak out if his vacuum sealed contraband purchase came via mail not contained in a mason jar.

You didn't read the thread, did you?  I wasn't saying that other methods didn't exist, nor did I make any comments about the levels of risks.  All that I did was comment that glass is an effective vapor barrier to the smell that drug dogs are trained to locate.

FatherMcGruder

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2011, 07:39:11 PM

You didn't read the thread, did you?  I wasn't saying that other methods didn't exist, nor did I make any comments about the levels of risks.  All that I did was comment that glass is an effective vapor barrier to the smell that drug dogs are trained to locate.
I've read the thread. I didn't direct my comment at you specifically. I just didn't want to do a big quote chain. I was simply addressing the false, but prevalent, premise that search dogs are infallible, not that you believed in it yourself, of course. Please don't take offense at the paranoid stoner reference.

Modoki

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 12, 2011, 09:57:42 AM

In fact, if it is a few times vacuum sealed and then just wrapped in some paper, it's already not sniffable by dogs.
I overestimated dogs as well; however, after trying such services like 20 times allready (and, moreover, never heard of friends busted) I can tell that it's not very hard to seal is unsmellable.
Greets
fetokun

Activity: 210

Presale is live!

View Profile
April 12, 2011, 10:08:45 AM

I really liked this!

bullox

Activity: 131

View Profile
April 13, 2011, 02:08:51 AM

tor site appears down... 504 connect failed
Modoki

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 13, 2011, 03:25:25 PM

same here.
Can't view the site.
dammit, hopefully its nothing serious!
Greets

Activity: 102

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2011, 08:05:20 PM

Timing out for me all day. Wonder if they have met their inevitable fate?
JackSparrow

Activity: 116

View Profile
April 13, 2011, 08:41:32 PM

tor site appears down... 504 connect failed
Seems to be a TOR related problem.
Read on here --> http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3984.msg65666#msg65666

If you want to check if Silk Road is down for everyone or just you, you can check via tor2web.org

Timing out for me all day. Wonder if they have met their inevitable fate?
Roll Eyes
BitterTea

Activity: 294

View Profile
April 13, 2011, 08:46:44 PM

Yep, I was able to connect and browse without any issues at all.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 »
  Print  

Jump to: