Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 03:39:31 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 [250] 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 ... 684 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Vertcoin - First Scrypt N | First Stealth Address - Privacy without mixer  (Read 1232521 times)
ivanrebroff

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2014, 07:42:24 PM

https://i.imgur.com/9QNAqFm.png

Come and join us at http://vtc.coinvention.net!
* Stratum for CPUMiner and GPUMining
* 0.5% fee
* We re constantly finding blocks and have a very low TX fee from 0.001 Manual/Automatic
* Guide for Mining with CUDA, VERTMINER, CPUMINER
* Every 15 min Payout Schedule
* Servers Located in Germany with Low Latency

freenode #coinvention
http://vtc.coinvention.net!
mfpowernl

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 07:43:35 PM

What about changing the name to VerticalCoin? Sound more appealing than VertCoin

Not really i like vertcoin more!
deky_

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 07:48:12 PM

What about changing the name to VerticalCoin? Sound more appealing than VertCoin

Not really i like vertcoin more!

Also, it's too late, vertcoin has 100000+ wallets at this point, and a market cap that is impressive for the currency so young, not to mention there is a number of articles already written about it, people know about vertcoin, a lot of them. If we did something radical like changing the name of it, that would send a bad vibe and would affect currency's credibility IMHO

And in finance world, credibility in very important (look at the mess Mt. Gox is in right now, and watch what will happen when it starts allowing customers to withdraw the funds, real indicator of what happens when your credibility takes a hit)

VTC Donations : VmdSExjrX9wxVt3mSq2mGXd4bLtNrpyGhJ
alc

Activity: 129

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 07:48:32 PM

Just a thought on the ELI5 explanation of the merits of Vertcoin -

Vertcoin is designed to be only produced by off-the-shelf commonly available hardware, which ensures wide adoption and decentralization.  

Large scale operation of the Vertcoin network and minting using specialized hardware is impractical and cost prohibitive, by design.
Succinct, but the problem is that regular folk don't care about this stuff. Paypal don't list the minutiae of their technical differences vs. credit card companies.

Short-term, adoption is only going to be seen among people who are already cryptocurrency-savvy. I really don't think there's any changing this. You can't just add a cute mascot and expect Dogecoin returns in community size (the ship has sailed on that one and playing at being a second-rate Dogecoin seems both unwise and unnecessary to me). Over the long term I don't think it'll be an issue - any vendors who accept one coin can add support for more fairly easily, and if Bitcoin et al take off in the real world then adding Vert as a payment option just won't be a big deal. This assumes that a significant number of people have Vertcoins. Given the combined network hashrate among current scrpyt altcoins, and the current threat to those GPU miners from ASICs, I think it's plausible to say that a lot of people could be mining Vertcoin one day, and if that happens, network effects kick in.

The intractable problem is that Vertcoin doesn't offer anything for the point-of-sale user over and above existing and better-established coins. Attempting to talk your way out of this with clumsy marketing and mascots is a fool's errand.
jtpeters

Activity: 56

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 07:48:39 PM
Last edit: February 10, 2014, 08:01:57 PM by jtpeters

Your remarks are totally correct. The people decide, we don't. And if you take my statement a few minutes ago, by no later than the mid term, usability determines the value (and profitability for the miners). This is why you could print the biggest shit on the dollar today, people would of course keep using it. Nobody would hold too many DOGE if there weren't any ideas for its usability to be announced... The best way to make it successful would be to create demand for it. If you just put this into the market as another alternative, it is a roulette game at maximum for the Vertcoin to become successful. If you create demand by putting into a favourable position for purchases (faster, easier than other methodes), that will boost it.

I totally agree with your "The best way to make it successful would be to create demand for it. " statement.

I would add that the only way to create demand for it (unless we're doing B2B only) would be to allow consumers to develop an emotional relationship with the product.

Then the question becomes, how do we allow people to connect emotionally with what we are doing?

The answer is neither strictly logical nor technical. It is emotional.

We must remember that people had trust issues with PayPal too because of their name. But now nobody cares. Businesses trusted both Google and Yahoo despite the looks of their websites. Whether or not a mascot is a bad idea is only an issue for our imagination until we have actual evidence that it is not. But right now the most successful altcoin has a mascot and smart companies follow and improve upon their competitors' offerings. Any new coin would be foolish not to follow in Dogecoin's footsteps simply because they would be ignoring the most successful (although brief) competitor.
jtpeters

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 07:56:07 PM

Just a thought on the ELI5 explanation of the merits of Vertcoin -

Vertcoin is designed to be only produced by off-the-shelf commonly available hardware, which ensures wide adoption and decentralization.  

Large scale operation of the Vertcoin network and minting using specialized hardware is impractical and cost prohibitive, by design.
Succinct, but the problem is that regular folk don't care about this stuff. Paypal don't list the minutiae of their technical differences vs. credit card companies.

Short-term, adoption is only going to be seen among people who are already cryptocurrency-savvy. I really don't think there's any changing this. You can't just add a cute mascot and expect Dogecoin returns in community size (the ship has sailed on that one and playing at being a second-rate Dogecoin seems both unwise and unnecessary to me). Over the long term I don't think it'll be an issue - any vendors who accept one coin can add support for more fairly easily, and if Bitcoin et al take off in the real world then adding Vert as a payment option just won't be a big deal. This assumes that a significant number of people have Vertcoins. Given the combined network hashrate among current scrpyt altcoins, and the current threat to those GPU miners from ASICs, I think it's plausible to say that a lot of people could be mining Vertcoin one day, and if that happens, network effects kick in.

The intractable problem is that Vertcoin doesn't offer anything for the point-of-sale user over and above existing and better-established coins. Attempting to talk your way out of this with clumsy marketing and mascots is a fool's errand.

Well, I suppose time will tell. I'm only speaking from experience at having built several multi-million dollar businesses from scratch and working at one of the Big 6 ad firms.

Whether the emotional connection is done with a catchy tune or good marketing or a mascot or whatever, it'll be quite integral to the long-term success of this coin.

I can only hope that we will populate our forums and meeting tables with the kinds of people that will ultimately use the product (not just technical people). Not doing so would be a big mistake.
luthan

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 08:03:02 PM

i'm wondering about something.
I'm mining on p2pool, current node http://p2pool.etyd.org/
However, i'm also seeing that there are a lot of blocks found in the last hours, when i check my miner i see shares being accepted.
But, i havent recieved any transactions for 8 hours already but in that timespan about 14 blocks have been found already.

Either i'm missing something or i'm not getting payed all the time.
Anyone who can explain?

You only get paid if you have shares in the sharechain. Click on Graphs and find your address, you can see a history graph of how much value you had in the share chain plotted over time. If you run less than a couple MH you might try mining on my east node for now, I'm running a test patch to p2pool to lower variance for smaller miners. (Your shares are worth less value but you find them more often, so payments are more steady. You don't make any more/less income though.) Pool link in my sig. (West node is not running test patch.)

US is a bit far from the EU, so better not do that Cheesy
But this is what i'm seeing in my miner:

setup your own node, and payout issues will go away.  im assuming you have quite a bit of horsepower if your payouts are this large.  i was getting sporadic payments with 600kh/s.  setup my own node, and never had an issue again

This is the payout scheme for me btw:

setup your own node, and payout issues will go away.  im assuming you have quite a bit of horsepower if your payouts are this large.  i was getting sporadic payments with 600kh/s.  setup my own node, and never had an issue again

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
PLINKO    |7| SLOTS     (+) ROULETTE    ▼ BIT SPINBITVESTPLAY or INVEST ║ ✔ Rainbot  ✔ Happy Hours  ✔ Faucet
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Alakazam2000

Activity: 98

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 08:06:26 PM

Why don't we ask doge developers help? I mean marketing help, we could ask them some kind of partnership: we have a strong currency and they have a lot of users, since doge is not meant to be a gold currency we could party up, we could make vert/doge exchanges and when vert grow stronger even the doge could benefit from it... what do you think? Vert for big payments and doge for micropayments, it could do well
luckygenough56
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1012

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 08:06:32 PM
Last edit: February 12, 2014, 11:40:41 AM by luckygenough56

edit
jocke_

Activity: 41

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 08:09:46 PM

i think vtc need to be seen everywhere doge is seen... like in google search "doge" there should be links to vert also in first page. etc. doge has lots of visibility and they are doing great, but their product is exactly not what normal money using person would need.. vert could use this doge visibility to offer everyone reading about doges something different and more stable and secure. better currency to invest. better to use in everyday shopping. more stable and whatnot..
because vert is different than doge or other cryptos. at least i hope so.
id like to see vert as an option for normal people. i think doge is for internet people only aka "nerds" just because its hard to take seriously. its money worth and they are doing really great and i also have doges, but i think its still not the "seriously taken" future currency.. not least because of the dog.

vert has a chance to be that serious money that is stable and fast, not just another altcoin for the "nerds" (as me) to be play with.

IMHO these anime and astronaut "memes" are not the way. when i see pics like that it assosiates me that this is just a poor copy of dogecoin.. only not as funny though. too much trying.. to be like doge.
i like much more little more serious ads/"memes". and i think people who are new to cryptos would like them too.. if they are putting some money in to it..

turtoro

Activity: 364

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 08:10:12 PM

Your remarks are totally correct. The people decide, we don't. And if you take my statement a few minutes ago, by no later than the mid term, usability determines the value (and profitability for the miners). This is why you could print the biggest shit on the dollar today, people would of course keep using it. Nobody would hold too many DOGE if there weren't any ideas for its usability to be announced... The best way to make it successful would be to create demand for it. If you just put this into the market as another alternative, it is a roulette game at maximum for the Vertcoin to become successful. If you create demand by putting into a favourable position for purchases (faster, easier than other methodes), that will boost it.

I totally agree with your "The best way to make it successful would be to create demand for it. " statement.

I would add that the only way to create demand for it (unless we're doing B2B only) would be to allow consumers to develop an emotional relationship with the product.

Then the question becomes, how do allow people to connect emotionally with what we are doing?

We must remember that people had trust issues with PayPal too because of their name. But now nobody cares. Businesses trusted both Google and Yahoo despite the looks of their websites. Whether or not a mascot is a bad idea is only an issue for our imagination until we have actual evidence that it is not. But right now the most successful altcoin has a mascot and smart companies follow and improve upon their competitors' offerings.

Its possible to create an emotional attachment without reverting to cartoonish gimmicks. You mentioned geicko before and i thought that was an unfair comparison. Geicko has been around for nearly 100 years. The gecko campaign has only been around the last ~5 years, long after it solidified itself as a market leader. This is the nature of business. Stand out as a serious contender, gain market share, then work on "hype" marketing.

In regards to Paypal/Google/Yahoo...I remember when they first came out. It wasn't "viral marketing" which drove them to the top, it was the quality of their services. The product spoke for itself. Marketing is needed and is a must, but it has to be based on facts, not gimmicks.
jtpeters

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 08:11:35 PM

Here's a question.. how do we create the cult of Vertcoin?

One of the secrets of some large companies is that they employ people to answer such questions.

Some of the biggest companies in the world have both enthusiastic workers and buyers of their products. Microsoft, Google, Apple, Starbucks, etc.

These companies all create emotional connections with people. And people pay money to be a part of it. They become passionate about it. They spend lots of money to figure out how to do this. It is what goes on behind closed doors.

I won't go into too much detail (for fear of people thinking I am nuts for bringing it up) but it is something to consider.
jtpeters

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 08:15:41 PM

[snips]... but their product is exactly not what normal money using person would need.. [snips]...
id like to see vert as an option for normal people. i think doge is for internet people only aka "nerds" just because its hard to take seriously. its money worth and they are doing really great and i also have doges, but i think its still not the "seriously taken" future currency.. not least because of the dog.[snip]

funny.. people were saying something quite similar about Bitcoin just a couple of years ago.
jtpeters

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 08:20:21 PM

Then the question becomes, how do allow people to connect emotionally with what we are doing?

We must remember that people had trust issues with PayPal too because of their name. But now nobody cares. Businesses trusted both Google and Yahoo despite the looks of their websites. Whether or not a mascot is a bad idea is only an issue for our imagination until we have actual evidence that it is not. But right now the most successful altcoin has a mascot and smart companies follow and improve upon their competitors' offerings.

Its possible to create an emotional attachment without reverting to cartoonish gimmicks. You mentioned geicko before and i thought that was an unfair comparison. Geicko has been around for nearly 100 years. The gecko campaign has only been around the last ~5 years, long after it solidified itself as a market leader. This is the nature of business. Stand out as a serious contender, gain market share, then work on "hype" marketing.

In regards to Paypal/Google/Yahoo...I remember when they first came out. It wasn't "viral marketing" which drove them to the top, it was the quality of their services. The product spoke for itself. Marketing is needed and is a must, but it has to be based on facts, not gimmicks.

"Marketing is needed and is a must, but it has to be based on facts, not gimmicks. ".. I had to chuckle when I read this. It's all gimmicks unless you're sticking with b2b

would not the Spartan graphic be a cartoonish gimmick? (with a lot less-broad appeal, I might add)

I'm not suggesting we go with a cartoon image. What I am saying is that it is very important we create an identity that has an emotional connection with our market. (After defining who our market is, of course) This can be done in a variety of ways. But on the internet, it's through the visual.
turtoro

Activity: 364

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 08:22:22 PM

Here's a question.. how do we create the cult of Vertcoin?

One of the secrets of some large companies is that they employ people to answer such questions.

Some of the biggest companies in the world have both enthusiastic workers and buyers of their products. Microsoft, Google, Apple, Starbucks, etc.

These companies all create emotional connections with people. And people pay money to be a part of it. They become passionate about it. They spend lots of money to figure out how to do this. It is what goes on behind closed doors.

I won't go into too much detail (for fear of people thinking I am nuts for bringing it up) but it is something to consider.

"cult" culture comes from the ground up. Concentrate on delivering the best service possible and the community will grow organically. Vtc is a testament to that. Look at where we are now compared to 3 weeks ago, it has grown exponentially.
alc

Activity: 129

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 08:24:13 PM

Well, I suppose time will tell. I'm only speaking from experience at having built several multi-million dollar businesses from scratch and working at one of the Big 6 ad firms.

Whether the emotional connection is done with a catchy tune or good marketing or a mascot or whatever, it'll be quite integral to the long-term success of this coin.

I can only hope that we will populate our forums and meeting tables with the kinds of people that will ultimately use the product (not just technical people). Not doing so would be a big mistake.
I think the problem here is that you're trying to sell a product, and Vertcoin is a service. That kind of marketing can work for service brands ("For everything else there's Mastercard") but I really don't see how adding a cute mascot, at this stage, would help in any way. Jingles are for television adverts, "good marketing" is too vague to discuss. What exactly do you propose? Bear in mind you're trying to sell something that doesn't have intrinsic benefits for anyone other than the people mining it. I think Vertcoin's viability rests solely on adoption by miners, at least in these early days. You won't convince them to come with cute or sexy marketing; either they'll see the potential in the gains that the algo provides, or they won't. I'm taking a fairly long view here. Litecoin didn't start out valuable, it became valuable because the mining community adopted it in response to FPGAs/ASICs. The network conditions that kind of situation creates validate the currency, and I hope to see the same for Vertcoin.

That's my take, anyway. I welcome criticism.
Alakazam2000

Activity: 98

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 08:24:23 PM

Why don't we ask doge developers help? I mean marketing help, we could ask them some kind of partnership: we have a strong currency and they have a lot of users, since doge is not meant to be a gold currency we could party up, we could make vert/doge exchanges and when vert grow stronger even the doge could benefit from it... what do you think? Vert for big payments and doge for micropayments, it could do well

Any feedback on this? It might be a good idea, afterall doge devs can understand why Vert is a strong coin
jocke_

Activity: 41

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 08:24:59 PM

[snips]... but their product is exactly not what normal money using person would need.. [snips]...
id like to see vert as an option for normal people. i think doge is for internet people only aka "nerds" just because its hard to take seriously. its money worth and they are doing really great and i also have doges, but i think its still not the "seriously taken" future currency.. not least because of the dog.[snip]

funny.. people were saying something quite similar about Bitcoin just a couple of years ago.

yeah you are right, honestly id love to see dogecoin as a serious currency to everyone, (serious dog money would be hilarious) i just dont quite believe that will be happening.. this is a crazy world though and it is of course possible..
still right now i dont know how much people believe in bitcoins reliability after all.. that is why there might be market for more stable and little more advanced crypto currency.
nasone32

Activity: 69

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 08:30:14 PM

the best advertisement for us would be to have a listing on coinwarz for the most profitable coin...  Grin
micryon

Activity: 154

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2014, 08:30:27 PM

Not sure why you guys are arguing..

More of everything is good for Vertcion.  More marketing, more memes, more gimmicks, more development, more tech, more blogs, more word of mouth, more viral marketing.

More, more, more.. let's fire on all cylinders!

VTC: Vi5NxyF6FPCCEQDrsDcA34P8pXe1Yck21y
PDR: PP3EQsV3oX9bBkjpsnESguMHz3tfMqHXhy PlanetDollar
Pages: « 1 ... 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 [250] 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 ... 684 »
  Print  

Jump to: