Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 01:36:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Introduction to DualMiner USB (could mine both BTC and LTC)  (Read 114581 times)
CruzCoins

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 10:44:16 PM
Last edit: February 26, 2014, 08:39:27 AM by CruzCoins

@mineryyyyy

Find a right //./COMxx name for LTC only is a pain, so that is why we developed a GUI for that. GUI uses a script to detect miners and ports, than use the right port automatically.

Is there anything I can do to get the GUI to be more stable with LTC only?  I am running 55 DualMiners and I would say an average of 6 of them go idle after 10 minutes or so.  The only thing I can do is to restart the software/computer and then they all mine fine for 10 minutes.  I tried setting the LTC Delayed Start to various numbers but it didn't seem to help anything.  Other than the few going idle these things run great - nice and cool 70k all day.  
What hubs are you using? How many units per hub?
[/quote]

6 Orico P10-U2 with 9 DualMiners per Hub and then 3 of the hubs plugging into a 7th Orico.
[/quote]
First I would begin by connecting one strip at a time and testing for 10 minutes or so to see if any idle. Also make sure you are power cycling like in the image below. Systematically test each hub/DM as you add them. It may take a little time but should get you with a stable setup, and isolate any problematic variables.  
https://i.imgur.com/np9DJGO.jpg

I have 99 units with p10-u2 hubs running on raspberry pi. I will be posting a guide soon for others who are interested.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Hektek

Activity: 329
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 11:53:05 PM

@CruzCoins

that would be very nice from you to have a guide to use them on an raspberry PI.

best regards

Hektek

Tathata

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 01:12:22 AM
Last edit: February 26, 2014, 01:23:52 AM by Tathata

Ya that would be awesome CruzCoins. Ill just have 3 dualminer units//rasp atm on a rosewill hub. 99 units thats insane...
CruzCoins

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 02:47:50 AM
Last edit: March 18, 2014, 12:51:44 AM by CruzCoins

This guide (v0.3) is using Raspberry Pi Model B and 2014-01-07-wheezy-raspbian flavor of Linux. If you already have your Pi running how you want, your may skip to step 5 for information specific to the dualminer cgminer build.

1. Begin with fresh install of 2014-01-07-wheezy-raspbian. Instructions here: http://elinux.org/RPi_Easy_SD_Card_Setup

2. Insert SD card into Pi, insert ethernet cable connected to your network, and insert power supply cable to boot up your Pi. If you only see a red light and no green flashing you probably messed up somewhere installing Raspbian to your SD card. Try it again.

3. SSH is enabled by default, so SSH into the Pi.
   a. To SSH first you need the local IP of your Pi device. The easiest way for most is to go to your router's config page (usually 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.2 with default login usually admin/admin- just google your specific router to find this info).
      Look for devices connected to your home network, locate device called 'raspberrypi' and note the IP address it had. Example: https://i.imgur.com/tnQkxcw.jpg
   b. Once you have local ip, use PuTTY (http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html?) if running windows or your kernel if Linux to SSH to the IP belonging to your Pi.
      Agree to the alert that will popup. Login with default credentials: username= pi password= raspberry
   c.Change default login info for security if you wish. You can lookup these details yourself or I may add later if there is need.
   d.Run the following commands after you have successfully logged in:

Code:
      sudo aptitude update
      sudo aptitude upgrade
      sudo reboot
  e.If you wish run the following command to expand filesystem, change language or hostname etc.

Code:
sudo raspi-config 

4. Originally in the guide I use tightvnc but I am going with another solution to free up CPU resources. We are going to disable X at startup (no GUI) and we are going to set SSH up to continue the process after we terminate the SSH session. To disable x ui run the following command:
Code:
sudo raspi-config
Then select choose boot option like in the picture I provide and make sure graphical desktop is not enabled.
https://i.imgur.com/x1rsDkS.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/J3692nT.jpg

Now we are ready to get a program to allow us to continue the cgminer process after ending the SSH session (thanks to demonmaestro for this advice). Run:
Code:
sudo apt-get install screen

5.Install dependencies for cgminer:

Code:
sudo aptitude install git autoconf libtool libcurl4-openssl-dev libncurses5-dev pkg-config yasm make libusb-1.0-0-dev libudev-dev 
 #all of these may not be completely necessary but it's what I used and it works

6.Grab dualminer cgminer code from git:
Code:
  git clone git://github.com/dualminer/dualminer-cgminer.git cgminer
  cd cgminer
  sudo chmod +x autogen.sh
  sudo chmod +x configure
  ./autogen.sh
  ./configure --enable-dualminer --enable-scrypt --disable-opencl  --prefix=/home/pi/cgminer  
  #replace 'pi' with your username if step 3c taken.
Code:
  make && make install 

7.Now your Pi is configured. It is time to plug in hardware and make sure it is done in the proper cycle. Also I highly recommend that before you attempt connecting large arrays you test your units, hubs, power supplies etc individually to eliminate problems.
If you are sure your hardware is all good plug in your hubs like in the diagram or however yours array. Remember to make sure the DMs are getting enough power from your hubs (check power supply of hubs to calculate if they can provide for your miners- there are many threads on this).
https://i.imgur.com/np9DJGO.jpg
Power hubs on following the diagram. You will not have to do this every time you reboot, but it is still best to follow the cycle to eliminate problems.
Note: while the orico p10-u2 hubs should technically support 10 DMs per hub, I have only been able to find stability with 9 DMs per hub.

8.Login to a new SSH session with your user. Run
Code:
sudo screen -R myminer

9.Run the following commands after creating a 'screen' to run cgminer in:  
Code:
cd /home/pi/cgminer   
     #where pi is your username from step 2c.

Code:
sudo ./cgminer --scrypt -o stratum+tcp://yourfavoritepool.com:3333 -u yourusername -p x 
     #replace 'yourfavoritepool.com:3333' and 'yourusername' with your pool/worker information

This should get you mining. Now you can press Ctrl+A then Ctrl+D to close your screen and then you may end you SSH session to continue mining after you power off your computer. To reopen your cgminer process, simply run:
Code:
sudo screen -R myminer
Please let me know if I have left out anything crucial. I have been running this setup for over a week with 99 DMs.
https://i.imgur.com/7QJS8yA.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/CEPbINT.jpg

-CruzCoins

If this was helpful, please consider donating to the Litecoin Core Development Fund 2014: LcUP7ZU3Xpk1BUR3qut3dTjC3aK5JoZMYx
Tathata

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 03:50:32 AM

Thanks, cant wait to pick up the digital pick axe...
Tathata

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 04:01:40 AM

With 99 DM's IMHO I would invest in some usb fans for that 10th slot to be safer. Nice rig setup it's clear you have trust in the coins future Tongue
CruzCoins

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 04:03:01 AM

With 99 DM's IMHO I would invest in some usb fans for that 10th slot to be safer. Nice rig setup it's clear you have trust in the coins future Tongue
Everything stays cool to the touch with the current setup. Thanks.
Blackbird0

Activity: 207
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 04:38:58 AM

I know MultiMiner support is coming but in the meantime I am using the windows GUI.

This is progressing well btw  Smiley

Just to make here as well: I've successfully compiled and use nwoolls BFGMiner fork with DualMiner support on my Raspberry Pi. It is running my test Dualminer in LTC-only mode successfully. Another instance of the same fork also is running my SHA-256 based devices fine at the same time, from the same USB 2.0 hub.
ryannguyen18

Activity: 183

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 04:42:04 AM

This guide (v0.1) is using Raspberry Pi Model B and 2014-01-07-wheezy-raspbian flavor of Linux.

1. Begin with fresh install of 2014-01-07-wheezy-raspbian. Instructions here: http://elinux.org/RPi_Easy_SD_Card_Setup

2. Insert SD card into Pi, insert ethernet cable connected to your network, and insert power supply cable to boot up your Pi. If you only see a red light and no green flashing you probably messed up somewhere installing Raspbian to your SD card. Try it again.

3. SSH is enabled by default, so SSH into the Pi.
   a. To SSH first you need the local IP of your Pi device. The easiest way for most is to go to your router's config page (usually 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.2 with default login usually admin/admin- just google your specific router to find this info).
      Look for devices connected to your home network, locate device called 'raspberrypi' and note the IP address it had. Example: https://i.imgur.com/tnQkxcw.jpg
   b. Once you have local ip, use PuTTY (http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html?) if running windows or your kernel if Linux to SSH to the IP belonging to your Pi.
      Agree to the alert that will popup. Login with default credentials: username= pi password= raspberry
   c.Change default login info for security if you wish. You can lookup these details yourself or I may add later if there is need.
   d.Run the following commands after you have successfully logged in:
      >sudo aptitude update
      >sudo aptitude upgrade
      >sudo reboot
   e.If you wish run the following command to expand filesystem, change language or hostname etc.
     >sudo raspi-config

4. I've been using tightvnc but you can use other options or just SSH. To install the following commands:
    >sudo aptitude install tightvncserver
    >tightvncserver
   Create a password for yourself
   To make vnc start at startup run
    >sudo nano /etc/rc.local
   Add 'sudo -u pi /usr/bin/vncserver :0 -geometry 1280x800 -depth 16 -dpi 100'  without quotes before the line 'exit 0' and replace 'pi' with your username, if step 2c is done.
   Save rc.local file.

5.Install dependencies for cgminer:
  >sudo aptitude install git autoconf libtool libcurl4-openssl-dev libncurses5-dev pkg-config yasm make libusb-1.0-0-dev libudev-dev
  #all of these may not be completely necessary but it's what I used and it works

6.Grab dualminer cgminer code from git:
  >git clone git://github.com/dualminer/dualminer-cgminer.git cgminer
  >cd cgminer
  >sudo chmod +x autogen.sh
  >./autogen.sh
  >./configure --enable-dualminer --enable-scrypt --disable-opencl  --prefix=/home/pi/cgminer  
   #replace 'pi' with your username if step 2c taken.
  >make && make install

7.Now your Pi is configured. It is time to plug in hardware and make sure it is done in the proper cycle. Also I highly recommend that before you attempt connecting large arrays you test your units, hubs, power supplies etc individually to eliminate problems.
If you are sure your hardware is all good plug in your hubs like in the diagram or however yours array. Remember to make sure the DMs are getting enough power from your hubs (check power supply of hubs to calculate if they can provide for your miners- there are many threads on this).
https://i.imgur.com/dAWzqhj.jpg
Power hubs on following the diagram. You will not have to do this every time you reboot, but it is still best to follow the cycle to eliminate problems.
Note: while the orico p10-u2 hubs should technically support 10 DMs per hub, I have only been able to find stability with 9 DMs per hub.

8.If using tightvnc install it on your computer and connect to your Pi with it's local IP from step 3a and password from step 4 (this is not necessary, feel free to use ssh only).

9.Open a terminal if you used vnc to connect to your Raspbian's GUI or begin an SSH session. Run the following commands after gaining access to your Pi:  
  >cd /home/pi/cgminer  
      #where pi is your username from step 2c.
  >sudo ./cgminer --scrypt -o stratum+tcp://yourfavoritepool.com:3333 -u yourusername -p x
      #replace 'yourfavoritepool.com:3333' and 'yourusername' with your pool/worker information

This should get you mining. Please let me know if I have left anything crucial out. I have been running this setup for over 24 hours with 99 DMs.
https://i.imgur.com/7QJS8yA.jpg

-CruzCoins

Donations for continued support/troubleshooting: 1K39hmfLN2CJyXXWcvNtkW9pNA5VJe15Su

in step 4, how I install tightvncserver on raspberry pi ? Copy it to usb or sd....if you can make youtube video...thanks

Bitcoin - 1NCmJ3hXLywaRHTsnm17rGkaJbjtbiKxZW
demonmaestro

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

Mining for the hell of it.

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 05:17:35 AM

I like apt-get

anyways.
Also something that you could do if you use SSH on your pi is to run the cgminer instance in a "screen"
Code:
sudo apt-get install screen
sudo screen -R myminer
sudo ./cgminer/cgminer --scrypt -o stratum+tcp://yourfavoritepool.com:3333 -u yourusername -p x

to "close" the screen but keep cgminer running do CTRL+A, CTRL+D. Then you can close the SSH terminal and keep cgminer runing.

To reopen the cgminer instance you could just do
Code:
sudo screen -R myminer

CruzCoins: Does this work with the 49 port hub?

Feel Like Donating? bc1q0v5nfdejapffewu67gft7zw7zsmnfmmkt3lf02
Buy/Sell BitCoin & LiteCoin  Click here! | Looking for a great exchange? CoinBase Has you covered.
CruzCoins

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 05:36:22 AM
Last edit: February 26, 2014, 07:44:11 PM by CruzCoins

in step 4, how I install tightvncserver on raspberry pi ? Copy it to usb or sd....if you can make youtube video...thanks   
To install run the following commands from your SSH session:
    >sudo aptitude install tightvncserver

This was taken from the guide. Just run the command.

CruzCoins: Does this work with the 49 port hub?
I do not have a 49 port hub to test with.
ManeBjorn
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 07:08:27 PM

I just wanted to let everyone know I put up a small review of the DualMiner on cryptocoinsnews.com
http://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/2014/02/26/dualminer-sha-256-scrypt-usb-miner/

It really is a good product and I wanted to share my experience using it with everyone.

FlensGold
Legendary

Activity: 1405
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 07:13:28 PM

Is there a recommended USB HUB which is available in Europe?
I am having my problems with D-Link 7 Port HUBs which were perfect for the Block Erupters some time ago, and also my TeckNet USB 3.0 HUB does not like them. I am not able to get more than one device running without COM Errors :-(
sikke

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 07:34:30 PM

Dualminer support is coming to BFGminer so maybe can use that awesome ra-pi quide to setup my pi to mine. Dont like the old cgminer version, i need to support antminers same time.
poopypants

Activity: 134

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 09:47:46 PM

Dualminer-3 :  for the github linux cgminer, will the --dualminer-pll freq setting work?  It accepts that variable when I use it but I am not sure if it is actually adjusting the frequency since I see no output in cgminer saying that I set the freq to 850?

Einsteinium: http://einsteinium.org/    Helping advance Science

SilkCoin: BCZFuLUX2XfGF4W5cRK3efcg6U5Pv1tuaj
akeetlebeetle

Activity: 221

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 10:31:54 PM

I just wanted to let everyone know I put up a small review of the DualMiner on cryptocoinsnews.com

It really is a good product and I wanted to share my experience using it with everyone.

Good article.

I tried your overclocking params and no matter what CGMiner instantly shuts down. Could you elaborate on what you did to achieve that?
ManeBjorn
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 10:52:19 PM

Thanks!
Here is the exact code param I use.
--dualminer-pll 850
Let me know how that works for you.
Also make sure you have a good hub.  The DualMiner overclock also only works in scrypt mode not dual mode.  At least so far.

Good article.

I tried your overclocking params and no matter what CGMiner instantly shuts down. Could you elaborate on what you did to achieve that?

velvethammer2

Activity: 65

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 12:37:42 AM

cool
hey all, just thought I'd let you all know a new server to point your dualminer usbs.....it's ran by btcguild.com server admin....

https://www.scryptguild.com/index.php

Did I Help?
BTC:   1CNjvKYdqXNmkNvt87fQSRbEftxsDanV1H
LTC:   LWUkLNiGTwBZkgKRH3VKuLvZHGVvjmxVXZ
akeetlebeetle

Activity: 221

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 12:41:39 AM

That worked. On your site you had a space between --dualminer and -pll

It had a negligible increase and seemed to make it a tad more unstable, so I just set it back. Not worth breaking the warranty (such that it is) for it.

Thanks!
Here is the exact code param I use.
--dualminer-pll 850
Let me know how that works for you.
Also make sure you have a good hub.  The DualMiner overclock also only works in scrypt mode not dual mode.  At least so far.

Good article.

Tathata

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 01:29:19 AM

CruzCoins after step 9 do you need to leave the  pc on with the vnc//SSH running? The whole point for me to setup this is to not have th mega WATTS pc on 24/7. Hope you don't need it on Tongue
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 »
  Print  

Jump to: