Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 08:32:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Gavin will visit the Council on Foreign Relations  (Read 54974 times)
Adrian-x
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 06:15:42 PM

Bitcoin will survive but Gavin may be scarred for life.
Going with the Star Wars meme

Yoda played by: Satoshi
Luke played by:Gavin,
CFR played by: The Empire – lead by Darth Vader

There will be taint
Luke : I feel the good in you
Darth: join me...

... Risking his life sure but he just loses a hand in the end.

Thank me in Bits 12MwnzxtprG2mHm3rKdgi7NmJKCypsMMQw

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1195

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 06:20:04 PM

having aljazeera there as press brings alot of suspicion. knowing their agenda and who they work for..

What is their agenda and who do they work for?

Here is a brief history on the origin and purpose of the CFR with some must see quotes from influential members. Invest 35 min

Rule from the Shadows - The Psychology of Power - Part 1

I meant Aljazeera lol.
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2014, 11:25:25 PM

having aljazeera there as press brings alot of suspicion. knowing their agenda and who they work for..
Al Jazeera has come a long way and is, in fact, a respected news organisation.

Indeed. Any organization that would hire https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lori_Jane_Gliha isn't the worst out there.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 12:13:23 AM

Please don't be so naive. Many of these think tanks you all despise actually do quality work, you don't need to agree with their politics to see that.

I don't think that anyone was asserting that they do shoddy work. However, when there is a group who _conspires_ (in the true sense of the word) to rule over the vast majority of their fellow humans, I'd rather they not be particularly good at it. Vast skill in doing evil is certainly NOT preferable to bungling while attempting evil.

straw man down

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
imanikin

Activity: 702
Merit: 503

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 12:47:46 AM

The countdown:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgFUAhz7h2U

Hippie Tech
aka Amenstop
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1001

All cryptos are FIAT digital currency. Do not use.

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2014, 02:18:23 AM

OMFG !! They're gonna launch a coin ! Tongue

Lloydie

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 02:22:09 AM

How do you know this? Is this FUD? My humour detector is not very good.
Hippie Tech
aka Amenstop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2014, 03:44:24 AM

How do you know this? Is this FUD? My humour detector is not very good.

I'm soo SERIAL !

Hillary is in on it.

Behold ! SNUKEcoin. Grin

seljo
Legendary

Activity: 1178
Merit: 1014

Hodling since 2011.®

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 09:36:35 AM

I hope he gets back from there today and with some good news.  Grin

Hodling since 2011.®
Patel
Legendary

Activity: 1321
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2014, 11:12:19 AM

I hope he gets back from there today and with some good news.  Grin

I hope he gets back from there, period. lol
knight22
Legendary

--------------->¿?

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 01:42:56 PM

It’s live
http://www.cfr.org/economics/voices-next-generation-gavin-andresen-bitcoin/p32339

btcusury

Activity: 433
Merit: 260

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 02:28:42 PM

I've accepted an invitation to do a question and answer session at the Council on Foreign Relations (CFR) in Washington, DC on Thursday, February 6, 2014.
Congratulations on being invited to speak at the CFR, it's an honor and a milestone for the bitcoin community.

Really? How so, exactly?

Is it because they are a powerful bunch? The Mafia is also a powerful group of people; if they invited Gavin to speak, would you consider that an "honor and a milestone for the bitcoin community"?

Or is it because you believe they are nice, honest people?
Please don't be so naive. Many of these think tanks you all despise actually do quality work, you don't need to agree with their politics to see that. Read a copy of Foreign Affairs sometime and you'll see that the analysis is professional and comprehensive, whatever the policy recommendations happen to be.

It's an honor for Gavin to represent bitcoin at the CFR because it shows that some of the nation's top researchers take bitcoin seriously. Why else would they bother inviting him? Only the uneducated believe in conspiracy theories.

Let's not forget that "think tank" can refer to almost any social-political research institution.

It's actually quite the opposite: Only the uneducated use the term "conspiracy theory."

I question your premises:

Can you explain what exactly makes CFR members "some of the nation's top researchers"?

Can you elucidate what exactly constitutes a "professional and comprehensive" analysis of geopolitics?

Can you explain to me why you are holding these people as honorable authorities?

I think you're the one who's being extremely naive. Can you show us an example of their "quality work"? Are you into empire building, war-mongering, grand-scale mass murder (aka war), creating Big Lies, wealth accumulation, resource stealing, predatory lending...? Is that what you're calling "quality work"?

This level of cluelessness in a Bitcoin forum is surprising.

FACT: There were hundreds of thousands of unnecessary deaths by December 2020 due to the censorship of all effective treatments (most notably ivermectin) in order to obtain EUA for experimental GT spike protein injections despite spike bioweaponization patents going back about a decade, and the manufacturers have 100% legal immunity despite long criminal histories.
MikeH

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 02:52:04 PM

the CFR - reminds me of this..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCOqF8gZeh8
Adrian-x
Legendary

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 02:53:30 PM
Last edit: February 06, 2014, 03:04:38 PM by Adrian-x

I missed the first 10 minutes so if anyone finds the video please list it.

All in all Gavin did well, he wasn't the guy to challenge TPTB on the merits of Austrian economics, but did a great job of expressing illustrating Bitcoins decentralized nature.

I think my take away is Bitcoin is supported buy a bunch of nutters who would rather give money to poor people than fund regime change, or encouraged corporate resource extraction for "mutual benefit " "the greater good" monopolistic profit.  

I don't think he emphasized enough, the blockchain as a tool to track money in crime is superior to cash and unlike other records "corporate fraud" you can't burn the records.

No value here, it's a flawed system trying to disrupt PayPal rent seeking, central banks weren't challenged.

Thank me in Bits 12MwnzxtprG2mHm3rKdgi7NmJKCypsMMQw
MikeH

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 03:01:38 PM

regime change even through apparent revolution is nearly always based on lies..
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2014, 04:09:50 PM

I missed the first 10 minutes so if anyone finds the video please list it.

All in all Gavin did well, he wasn't the guy to challenge TPTB on the merits of Austrian economics, but did a great job of expressing illustrating Bitcoins decentralized nature.

I think my take away is Bitcoin is supported buy a bunch of nutters who would rather give money to poor people than fund regime change, or encouraged corporate resource extraction for "mutual benefit " "the greater good" monopolistic profit.  

I don't think he emphasized enough, the blockchain as a tool to track money in crime is superior to cash and unlike other records "corporate fraud" you can't burn the records.

No value here, it's a flawed system trying to disrupt PayPal rent seeking, central banks weren't challenged.

That the bitcoin blockchain is open and unencrypted is part of why governments are as complacent about it as they are.

The session was recorded to the CFR youtube channel.
You can watch it again and again if you like
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgFUAhz7h2U

This was wise for everyone.  Maybe they read enough of this thread to sort of "get it".  The CFR has an interest in making their group less scary to people, even though many of their ideas and goals are very wrong headed1, they do engage in debate and this stuff gets discussed even if their innate sense of entitlement and assurance in their knowledge of "the way things ought to be" leads them down so many dead ends.

If you want to know the CFR better, I'd recommend reading their public magazines and publications.  Like any group the members are fairly diverse, but overall have a particular slant.  Theirs is very much slanted for TPTB.  Maybe the CFR should come out with "compliancecoin" complete with central bank keynesian adjustments at all the wrong times and directions and beholden to political forces just like the central bankers use.

1That their members are openly proud of money backed by military might and float extraterrestrial asteroids as justification for this is sufficient evidence in just this one video.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
Hippie Tech
aka Amenstop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2014, 05:06:49 PM

the CFR - reminds me of this..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCOqF8gZeh8

You and the other 90% of the World.

Big thanks goes out to everyone who participated in my poll / debate.

Final tally : (BOOOO!)--> ACCEPT 184 + (YAAAY WOOOT WOOHOOO !)--> DECLINE 85 =  Cool Things are not as grim as I once thought. Grin

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=418110.0

pEACe
HT xD 

cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 05:22:16 PM

just finished it.

fantastic performance by Gavin. he comes across as measured, thoughtful, caring, and with the right principles. he also hit on many important points and answered questions appropriately.

couldn't have been better. this is why we have Gavin as the Chief Scientist.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 05:25:22 PM

If you want to know the CFR better, I'd recommend reading their public magazines and publications.  Like any group the members are fairly diverse, but overall have a particular slant.  Theirs is very much slanted for TPTB. ...

I followed someone's link the other day to the front page of their website.  Of the 6 articles I saw on was by Elliot Abrams and another by Max Boot.  That's enough to convince me that the organization is yet another nest of neocon wankers.  Yawn.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
February 07, 2014, 12:02:19 AM

straw man down
Wikipedia logician detected.

Not even _that_ sophisticated. Just calling 'em as I see 'em.

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: