Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 03:42:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 [386] 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 ... 7012 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][DASH] Dash (dash.org) | First Self-Funding Self-Governing Crypto Currency  (Read 9722721 times)
eduffield (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1036

Dash Developer

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2014, 02:51:16 PM

For the record - I think open source is the only way to go - however, again, I think it matters how that is done - it's not as simple as saying - "open source it".

I believe the plan - as per the dev - is to open it once DarkSend has been fully debugged - which I think is entirely reasonable. I think others want it to have a little more momentum in the market and with adoption before it goes open source - which I don't think is unreasonable either. However, it's ultimately the developer's choice - I'm sure though that he will take the input of the community seriously.

I know he has said that closed source is NOT an option in this thread - however, is this on any of the sites so its known to new users?
Because, the community knows that closed source was never an option - but I don't think others do.

Well I know a dev working on paper wallets and brain wallets for DRK.  They are unsure on releasing their work to the wild on the idea DRK may be going to use a closed-source model.  That's one example alone of the effect using a closed-source model would have on eco-system development outside of the core dev-team.  Not publicly releasing your code until your happy with it is one thing but to try and patent it and go closed-source is another.  Hopefully the ideas on using a closed model are just that ideas from some guy on the internet and not hints by the dev team testing the water.

No, DarkSend is definitely going to be an opensource project. We'll do some audits and make sure there's nothing wrong with the concepts and code, then open it up. By the way, it's going to be about 10000 lines of code you would have to add to your coin. It's not easy and you could destroy your coin by adding it. So good luck, this isn't like adding KGW. I don't think there will be many coins with developers that confident in their abilities. There's literally not one file that I didn't rip apart to do this.

DarkSend being opensource isn't that big of a deal, I've dedicated at least a couple years of full time work to making this coin successful. Can any other coin compete with a full time dev? It's the innovation that makes a coin like this successful and there's alot of ideas out there I can implement after DarkSend. We'll have one hell of a coin.

DarkSend is backwards compatible with the underlying protocol, so your dev that's working on the paper wallet need not worry.

Dash - Digital Cash | dash.org | dashfoundation.io | dashgo.io
overcurrent

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 02:51:45 PM

Is there a version of ig0tik3d's cpuminer minerd which will run on 32 bit Windows?
TanteStefana

Activity: 280
Merit: 100

The Future Of Work

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 03:13:13 PM

For the record - I think open source is the only way to go - however, again, I think it matters how that is done - it's not as simple as saying - "open source it".

I believe the plan - as per the dev - is to open it once DarkSend has been fully debugged - which I think is entirely reasonable. I think others want it to have a little more momentum in the market and with adoption before it goes open source - which I don't think is unreasonable either. However, it's ultimately the developer's choice - I'm sure though that he will take the input of the community seriously.

I know he has said that closed source is NOT an option in this thread - however, is this on any of the sites so its known to new users?
Because, the community knows that closed source was never an option - but I don't think others do.

It gets drowned out by everyone arguing this point over and over again  Roll Eyes

The developer wants darksend to be fully functional before releasing it into the wild so that anything that might be wrong won't propagate in every other coin.  I don't think of it as closed source, I think of it as smart.  Alt coins are all just copy > paste and I don't think there is much thought given to it, so it could mess a lot of users up and in the process, give darksend/darkcoin a bad reputation.  Evan needs to keep control until it's ready, then it will be released open source, and yes, others will then improve on it.  That's what open source is all about.  In the mean time, I suspect Evan will be coming up with other great features for our coin and implementing any improvements made to darksend.

that's how I see our future here.

█ ANN THREAD █
﹝Whitepaper﹞
【BLACKBOX OS】
The Future of Work. Decentralized.
TELEGRAM﹞﹝FACEBOOK
TWITTERYOUTUBE
mayday9

Activity: 11

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 03:19:37 PM

Official fundraiser for Darkcoin marketing & branding

Since Darkcoin was 0% premined, we will be doing this the old fashioned way, with a fundraiser. Many people in the community have expressed an interest in pushing our marketing effort along. We wanted to make sure the time was right, while Evan sorted out the kinks in the Darksend code. But we are nearly ready to show Darkcoin and Darksend to the world, so let's get this moving.

I will release a list of bounties for marketing & branding in the next day or so when I have a bit of spare time. For now, you may donate to the official fundraising wallet (anonymously if you like!). You can also PM me with your donation details and I'll keep some accounting, if only for the sake of making sure your donation is accounted for and spent appropriately.

As always, you are a fantastic community and we appreciate your support!

Fundraising wallet: Xc8xGSP7FwWGPQpgw298z7NYdA8xJK8ooh

Sent 50 DRK!

Sent 50 DRK.

sent 50
rickraw

Activity: 387
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 03:20:48 PM

No, DarkSend is definitely going to be an opensource project. We'll do some audits and make sure there's nothing wrong with the concepts and code, then open it up. By the way, it's going to be about 10000 lines of code you would have to add to your coin. It's not easy and you could destroy your coin by adding it. So good luck, this isn't like adding KGW. I don't think there will be many coins with developers that confident in their abilities. There's literally not one file that I didn't rip apart to do this.

DarkSend being opensource isn't that big of a deal, I've dedicated at least a couple years of full time work to making this coin successful. Can any other coin compete with a full time dev? It's the innovation that makes a coin like this successful and there's alot of ideas out there I can implement after DarkSend. We'll have one hell of a coin.

DarkSend is backwards compatible with the underlying protocol, so your dev that's working on the paper wallet need not worry.

This is an awesome response! Eduffield is the man!

DASH - Private. Instant. Digital Cash.   DASHPAY.IO
coins101
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 03:22:48 PM

Well I know a dev working on paper wallets and brain wallets for DRK.  They are unsure on releasing their work to the wild on the idea DRK may be going to use a closed-source model.  That's one example alone of the effect using a closed-source model would have on eco-system development outside of the core dev-team.  Not publicly releasing your code until your happy with it is one thing but to try and patent it and go closed-source is another.  Hopefully the ideas on using a closed model are just that ideas from some guy on the internet and not hints by the dev team testing the water.

Wow - I was like thinking of being only 50% in Darkcoins by the time beta ends........might have to up that  Wink

Can the current sellers up their rate of selling please...thanks in advance.
TanteStefana

The Future Of Work

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 03:25:46 PM

Couldn't this result in darksend transactions being exposed? If someone denominates, darksends, and then denominates again at a later time, the transaction for the second denominate will likely include both the change address for the darksend, and addresses used in the first denominate. This would link the change address to the rest of the wallet, and since there is likely to be only one corresponding output in the darksend, the darksent portion could be identified.

Even if that couldn't be done, denominating the whole wallet together allows anyone who knows one receiving address to identify most if not all of the other receiving addresses. It seems to me treating each receiving address as separate instead of operating on the whole wallet would be a safer, although more annoying, choice.

But I don't see any of that information on the blockchain.  Is there more information on the blockchain that isn't covered in the explorer?

█ ANN THREAD █
﹝Whitepaper﹞
【BLACKBOX OS】
TELEGRAM﹞﹝FACEBOOK
TWITTERYOUTUBE
Lloydie

Activity: 140

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 03:26:27 PM

Darkcoin is looking better and better.
TanteStefana

The Future Of Work

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 03:29:29 PM

OK...Please Let's end this discussion once and for all.  Evan has said that DarkCoin will be open sourced... once Darksend is out of beta. The plan is to be open sourced.  I'm am very certain that Mr. Eduffield is aware that this is and will be an on going evolution with many more features to be added with time.  I for one am quite confident that Evan and Ape have taken the time to consider the route they wish for this coin. it would far more productive if we could come up with a wish list of additional features that people would think as cutting edge.  

Great idea.  I'll reiterate that I love the short message idea HammerHedd came up with.

I'll add an idea, Would it be possible, with a click or two, to take part or all of your balance off line, on to a jump drive or paper wallet?  then a click or two to reload when you need it?  Could be called "Banking the balance?"

█ ANN THREAD █
﹝Whitepaper﹞
【BLACKBOX OS】
TELEGRAM﹞﹝FACEBOOK
TWITTERYOUTUBE
Lloydie

Activity: 140

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 03:38:10 PM

Most likely Btc and ltc will not improve privacy.

Idea: allow Btc to be kept in darkcoin wallet. Allow Btc to be "converted" to drk via broadcast to other darkcoin wallets, who can choose to buy and sell Btc/drk. Ie decentralised exchange. Dev can build fee into wallet to recoup costs if he wants.  Provide wallet to Btc users as an optional privacy tool.

If decentralised exchange too difficult then integrate wallet with an existing online exchange as a first step.
CHAOSiTEC
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 03:45:16 PM

lotterymining.com

Todays Winner is: elberethz amount won: 35.298358 DRK

node-vps.com - Tron / Masternode hosting services
TanteStefana

The Future Of Work

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 03:46:24 PM

Tell me, WHY on earth would i care about anonymous transactions if i wanted to buy Amazon Gift Cards?

I don't know why, I never do anything illegal, but I am anal about privacy.  family members are tagging photos of me on facebook, and I cringe, I freak out!  I can't explain it, but yes, I want my checkbook closed to outside eyes.  

I'm already exposed, I've lost my privacy.  Anyone can find me if they wanted to.  My Sister and Mother use their real names on facebook, I can't imagine doing that, LOL, but I am being worn down. However, I truly think that it's not a good thing.

Why would i care about anonymous transactions?  I don't know, I just do!  It's not the one transaction, but the habits being recorded.  Believe me, if there is a way for marketing people to do it, they'll figure out where you shop, what you buy, what boggles my mind is that so many people don't care!

█ ANN THREAD █
﹝Whitepaper﹞
【BLACKBOX OS】
TELEGRAM﹞﹝FACEBOOK
TWITTERYOUTUBE
tifozi

Activity: 742
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 03:51:21 PM

I would love for some more merchants and markets to show DarkCoin affinity already even though we are in Beta.

Some of the best projects the world has even seen have prospered even while in beta, some even closed source. It is inherently in our nature to send millions of bytes of sensitive information via closed source email solutions of centralized corporations (gmail was in beta for 5 years), but for whatever reason clonesters cannot wait for this project to go open source citing lack of trust. I'd rather have them come here and say we just want a DarkCoin meme clone and not insult the collective intelligence of this group.

@evan, while the threat of an existing coin adopting DarkSend may be neutered due to complexity, that doesn't mean new forks are not possible by mindless clonesters and that itself will hold this project back for quite some time. Look what Dogecoin did to Litecoin. People underplay it a bit, but Dogecoin absolutely was the #1 reason Litecoin valuation dropped when people saw they could do the same thing in a much more cheap and allegedly funny way.

I am not saying project should be closed source, but please do not yield into pressures from a select few about timelines etc. Let it mature a bit more. In the meantime let us establish some additional goals and targets for this project and set wheels in motion to achieve them, the very first one being what is already going on with respect to collecting funds. There should be pretty big ones down the road

1) Presentations/Conferences.
2) Get white hack hacker certifications.
3) Ongoing tech developments/enhancements.

To those pushing for open source, please take a step back and bring more to the table first via contributions to DarkCoin project. To further assert validity to your assertions, please post open source projects your have contributed to and co-relate that to how you think you will enhance DarkCoin project.

--DarkCoin bag holder of 580 DRKs ---

TanteStefana

The Future Of Work

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 03:52:13 PM

Ah fuck it. Dark coin should be Voyeur sourced. That way if you want to take a look at the code, you have to be cheeky about it. Grin

Cheesy  Grin  Cheesy  Grin +1

█ ANN THREAD █
﹝Whitepaper﹞
【BLACKBOX OS】
TELEGRAM﹞﹝FACEBOOK
TWITTERYOUTUBE
TanteStefana

The Future Of Work

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 03:55:41 PM

I understand keeping the alpha closed source on a test-net but bitcoind has been in beta since 2009.  So how long is darksend going to be in 'beta'?

Based on all the info I have - not much longer at all - a few weeks at most I would think.
Anyone in the "know" care to comment? (since I've offered my opinion based on reading this thread only)

Gee, it's been in beta about 4 days now?  this is too long, we must open now!  (jk)

Seriously, though, it's not ready.  It's safe enough to invite the public to try it, and that's where it currently is.  I'll guess less than a month to full functioning open source but only Evan and the good lord can know for certain Smiley

█ ANN THREAD █
﹝Whitepaper﹞
【BLACKBOX OS】
TELEGRAM﹞﹝FACEBOOK
TWITTERYOUTUBE
coins101
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 03:59:17 PM

I ask people to sell [me  Grin] their coins and people buy more of them. wtf?

This is not reverse psychology 101. Jesus, some people.
TanteStefana

The Future Of Work

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 04:00:39 PM

You can put so much to rest by popping in and writing a few lines, I'm going to store the link to this post and quote it once a day,  Grin Cheesy

█ ANN THREAD █
﹝Whitepaper﹞
【BLACKBOX OS】
TELEGRAM﹞﹝FACEBOOK
TWITTERYOUTUBE
TanteStefana

The Future Of Work

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 04:05:14 PM

Is there a version of ig0tik3d's cpuminer minerd which will run on 32 bit Windows?

I'm sorry to say that 32 bit will have such horrible hash rate, that nobody will bother to make one.  You could, if you don't mind, run Linux on a jump drive in 64 bit, and then run minard:

Copy and paste into a terminal:

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install -y build-essential m4 libssl-dev libdb++-dev libboost-all-dev libminiupnpc-dev git automake libcurl4-openssl-dev

sudo git clone https://github.com/elmad/darkcoin-cpuminer-1.3-avx-aes

cd darkcoin-cpuminer-1.3-avx-aes

sudo chmod +x autogen.sh

sudo ./autogen.sh

sudo ./configure CFLAGS="-O3 -march=native"

sudo make

Then do this command: sudo ./minerd -a X11 -o stratum+tcp://drk.lotterymining.com:4444 -u You.YourWorker -p Password

lotterymining.com is a great pool Smiley

█ ANN THREAD █
﹝Whitepaper﹞
【BLACKBOX OS】
TELEGRAM﹞﹝FACEBOOK
TWITTERYOUTUBE
TanteStefana

The Future Of Work

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 04:08:34 PM

lotterymining.com

Todays Winner is: elberethz amount won: 35.298358 DRK

Super BIG congratulations to elberethz!!!

█ ANN THREAD █
﹝Whitepaper﹞
【BLACKBOX OS】
TELEGRAM﹞﹝FACEBOOK
TWITTERYOUTUBE
cryptogrammar

Activity: 8

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 04:22:59 PM

this open source discussion is getting ridiculous

of course it has to be open source.

there's this fear that it should remain closed so that no one can clone Darksend for another coin -- that we should wait til our community is already huge before we open the source code. here's the thing: no one is going to use Darksend in the first place if it remains closed source. many of my friends won't even try the beta because they don't not trust the binaries.
Pages: « 1 ... 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 [386] 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 ... 7012 »
  Print  

Jump to: