Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 10:40:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 3558 3559 3560 3561 3562 3563 3564 3565 3566 3567 3568 3569 3570 3571 3572 3573 3574 3575 3576 3577 3578 3579 3580 3581 3582 3583 3584 3585 3586 3587 3588 3589 3590 3591 3592 3593 3594 3595 3596 3597 3598 3599 3600 3601 3602 3603 3604 3605 3606 3607 [3608] 3609 3610 3611 3612 3613 3614 3615 3616 3617 3618 3619 3620 3621 3622 3623 3624 3625 3626 3627 3628 3629 3630 3631 3632 3633 3634 3635 3636 3637 3638 3639 3640 3641 3642 3643 3644 3645 3646 3647 3648 3649 3650 3651 3652 3653 3654 3655 3656 3657 3658 ... 7012 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][DASH] Dash (dash.org) | First Self-Funding Self-Governing Crypto Currency  (Read 9722540 times)
child_harold

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 01, 2014, 08:49:30 PM

I'd argue the min MN chain should be at least 4 long.

Assuming (with medium paranoia settings) that the "bad guy" has a handle on 10%-20% of MN's (100-250 nodes), then with a 2 MN chain length the above numbers predict between a 1%-4% chance of a de-anonymization. This is far too high IMO.

There should be no option to select rounds... it should be 8 minimum with those that want added mixing to go above that. With no fees per round, it makes sense not to have less anon'd coins (those in which the user chooses less than 8 rounds).

What are the drawbacks (if any) of increasing the number of rounds from a default of 2 to 8?

EDIT: I guess it'll take longer but will this be mitigated by InstantTX? For that matter will DarkSend and InstantTX be compatible/interoperable (used simultaneously)

qwizzie
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1245

View Profile
December 01, 2014, 08:52:06 PM

oh oh, looks like we voted too early Smiley

Learn from the past, set detailed and vivid goals for the future and live in the only moment of time over which you have any control : now
oblox
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1018

View Profile
December 01, 2014, 08:57:27 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=855130.msg9711037#msg9711037

Please voice your opinion on having to vote via twitter/fb.
thelonecrouton
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
December 01, 2014, 08:58:28 PM

Assuming (with medium paranoia settings) that the "bad guy" has a handle on 10%-20% of MN's (100-250 nodes), then with a 2 MN chain length the above numbers predict between a 1%-4% chance of a de-anonymization. This is far too high IMO.

There should be no option to select rounds... it should be 8 minimum with those that want added mixing to go above that. With no fees per round, it makes sense not to have less anon'd coins (those in which the user chooses less than 8 rounds).

What are the drawbacks (if any) of increasing the number of rounds from a default of 2 to 8?

EDIT: I guess it'll take longer but will this be mitigated by InstantTX? For that matter will DarkSend and InstantTX be compatible/interoperable (used simultaneously)

Darksend is the process of coin anonymisation. You anonymise your coins before sending them, if you choose to. It has nothing to do with InstanTX, you can IX anonymised coins, or non anonymised coins, or both. IX will not speed the Darksend anonymisation process.
GhostPlayer
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
December 01, 2014, 09:01:51 PM

Two totally distinct concepts. Darksend rounds will always take the time they will take. You can't InstantX rounds. But once your coins have been anonymised, the yes, you're free to InstantX them at will. InstantX Darksend or InstantX regular. At least, this is preliminary testnet findings.

The more the rounds, the deeper the anonymity. 2 rounds is already crazy good, 8 is like ultra-mode.
oblox
Legendary

View Profile
December 01, 2014, 09:04:38 PM

The more the rounds, the deeper the anonymity. 2 rounds is already crazy good, 8 is like ultra-mode.

I don't think you need to give people the option for less than 8 rounds. People anon'ing their coins won't care if it takes a bit longer to go the additional rounds if it cuts the percentage down by a ton. After all, this is a privacy-centric coin at heart. The difference between 3^2 and 3^8 is HUGE.
defunctec
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
December 01, 2014, 09:09:19 PM

I don't think you need to give people the option for less than 8 rounds. People anon'ing their coins won't care if it takes a bit longer to go the additional rounds if it cuts the percentage down by a ton. After all, this is a privacy-centric coin at heart.

Thing is, you could pause darksend as it reach's 4 rounds, use coin control to select the coins with 4 rounds and send those.

Unless you made them undependable until they reach 8 rounds, which is bullshit anyway.

Users can asses the risk involved and make a sound judgment on how many rounds are appropriate.

I like the option of 1-8, infact why not 1-100?
oblox
Legendary

View Profile
December 01, 2014, 09:15:19 PM

I don't think you need to give people the option for less than 8 rounds. People anon'ing their coins won't care if it takes a bit longer to go the additional rounds if it cuts the percentage down by a ton. After all, this is a privacy-centric coin at heart.

Thing is, you could pause darksend as it reach's 4 rounds, use coin control to select the coins with 4 rounds and send those.

Unless you made them undependable until they reach 8 rounds, which is bullshit anyway.

Users can asses the risk involved and make a sound judgment on how many rounds are appropriate.

1 is out of the question (3) and 100 is extreme (1.2676506e30). As for the rounds, you would remove the input factor leaving the start button. I see two viable pathways at this point, locks on the coins entering the round process to prevent them from being able to be spent (much like instantx locks coins) or disabling the ability to stop it once started. There is no reason why going 8 rounds has to take longer than a few hours assuming there are people darksending. I dream of a day when there is enough activity that 8 rounds would literally take 8 blocks.

If this is out of the question, simply putting a table underneath the option of rounds setting specifying the percentage might be enough to show people to go 8 rounds.
thelonecrouton
Legendary

View Profile
December 01, 2014, 09:23:55 PM

1 is out of the question (3) and 100 is extreme (1.2676506e30). As for the rounds, you would remove the input factor leaving the start button. I see two viable pathways at this point, locks on the coins entering the round process to prevent them from being able to be spent (much like instantx locks coins) or disabling the ability to stop it once started. There is no reason why going 8 rounds has to take longer than a few hours assuming there are people darksending. I dream of a day when there is enough activity that 8 rounds would literally take 8 blocks.

If this is out of the question, simply putting a table underneath the option of rounds setting specifying the percentage might be enough to show people to go 8 rounds.

I'd go one further - 8 automatic and mandatory rounds. You can't spend until your coins have been anonymised. It would speed up mixing hugely.  Cheesy
anonymousxx1503

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 01, 2014, 09:29:33 PM

I just posted my Darkcoin Masternode payment summary to twitter - 6 Masternodes - 129.557 DRK for December is 305.75$ currently - 30$ in VPS fees @Vultr is 275.75$ profit (If I were to cash it out, which I'm not). How about you guys?

I'd like to thank eduffield and the other developers for this critically important evolution in virtual currency. DarkCoin is what bitcoin should have been. Some might call it "Bitcoin 2.0" but would do better by saying: "DarkCoin is digital cash." - Child Harold - February 28, 2014
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=421615.msg5424980#msg5424980
oblox
Legendary

View Profile
December 01, 2014, 09:31:24 PM

I'd go one further - 8 automatic and mandatory rounds. You can't spend until your coins have been anonymised. It would speed up mixing hugely.  Cheesy

I'd be for that but not sure how that would work with exchanges and pools.
thelonecrouton
Legendary

View Profile
December 01, 2014, 09:51:57 PM

QT client default ON, darkcoind default OFF.

edit: How much of a problem would it really be for exchanges anyway? Remember that exchanges have a disproportionate relevance in the speculative stage, which we're still in. They become less important as adoption and use increase. I don't see why exchanges shouldn't be anonymising their coins too, same as everyone else. All users would benefit.

And I don't care about centralised pools, they're just parasites.  Grin
oblox
Legendary

View Profile
December 01, 2014, 09:56:49 PM

Then you wouldn't be able to say it's automatic or mandatory if there would still be an option for those to get around having to do it from the start.
thelonecrouton
Legendary

View Profile
December 01, 2014, 10:02:14 PM

Then you wouldn't be able to say it's automatic or mandatory if there would still be an option for those to get around having to do it from the start.

I think just having DS on by default in the QT client would greatly speed the mixing process. How many regular users are going to mess about with it or run the daemon instead? Why would they? DRK is a private coin, if you don't care about privacy there's BTC.
qwizzie
Legendary

View Profile
December 01, 2014, 10:13:21 PM

I think just having DS on by default in the QT client would greatly speed the mixing process. How many regular users are going to mess about with it or run the daemon instead? Why would they? DRK is a private coin, if you don't care about privacy there's BTC.

i like to have choices and the way Darksend is setup right now it gives me choices. What yr proposing (or whats being proposed) is basicly converting Darksend into an Apple
rolemodel with very few choices... i dont like it.

Learn from the past, set detailed and vivid goals for the future and live in the only moment of time over which you have any control : now
strix

Activity: 231
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 01, 2014, 10:20:17 PM

If I was strategy commander for Darkcoin (which I'm not by the way  Wink ), I'd create some kind of contingency whereupon the mining majority could somehow protect the masternode majority in some kind of symbiotic dependency.

i.e. to subvert the masternode population you'd have to subvert the mining population as well.

You have that utterly arse backwards.

90% of mining goes through 5 pools. And you would need at most 3 of them to control or destroy the coin.

Mining provides exactly fuck all security.

I doubt it.

I realise that it's fashionable right now to be maligning the idea of pools because of their "potential" to threaten the network. But the reality is that pools are still aggregations of decentralised mining power, Its subscribers are generally actors in good faith. You can't just "buy up" that kind of mining power.

On the other hand, masternodes can be bought. I don't have enough technical understanding to know how much of a threat this poses to the network or even if it's a threat at all, but I've set up a masternode and could envisage how, overtime, a single player could monopolise the network.

Aggregated mining is not the same thing as "centralised" mining. Whereas if I bought up 50% of the masternodes that WOULD be centralised masternoding because I have control over all those masternodes myself - they can't "wander off" to another pool.

Toknormal, I have really enjoyed and learned much from your posts, but I am curious about your reasoning here. I have made no secret of agreeing with TheloneCrueton on this point, but freely acknowledge my limited understanding in all things crypto. On the other hand, I'd like to think that I can follow the logic and rhetoric of an argument. It seems to me that you keep missing the primary point of TLC's argument. We all recognize that there are thousands of individual miners out there, but if they all were to feed into one non-p2pool pool it is functionally only ONE miner. Furthermore, IF the servers of three to five of the largest pools were compromised or seized, the coin could be brought to its knees regardless of the good intentions of the thousands of individual miners feeding those pools, or their managers.

What am I misunderstanding here? I have yet to hear you address this argument, which leads me to believe you have either not heard it, or not understood it, or I am not understanding the relevance of your objection. Could you please help me to understand this? (I'm sorry if this is not a cogent explanation of what I am asking for :-(  ).

Peace to you,

Strix

Je le hibou, suis ↄash; because while the days are evil good must hurry, lest evil parading as an agent of light restrict its activity.
XnUjqiYV5mvXAWrWUbGFmitPvmWSthxhBi
thelonecrouton
Legendary

View Profile
December 01, 2014, 10:26:46 PM

i like to have choices and the way Darksend is setup right now it gives me choices. What yr proposing (or whats being proposed) is basicly converting Darksend into an Apple

I understand your desire to have choices, but comparing DRK to Apple is fighting talk.  Cheesy

Default on in the QT client benefits all DS users and doesn't do anyone any harm, if you want to use Darkcoin transparently (say you're just interested in IX and don't care about privacy) you could click a button and do so. Seems reasonable to me?

What seems odd to me is having it OFF by default. It suggests a lack of confidence in the process. Like buying a V10 Ferrari and having to go out of your way to fire up the other 9 cylinders.
qwizzie
Legendary

View Profile
December 01, 2014, 10:34:42 PM

2014 Proof of Honor (POH) Awards | It Has Begun, Vote Now!
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=855130.840

Voting Phase Update #1

To vote via social media, or to view your canadates page: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hcphJLfALJwqhpR_H3yxlYgmLShhr_6ahlt7Gq2Aj_k/edit?usp=sharing

All information regarding social media voting is provided in that google sheet.

Note: Bitcointalk votes will not be immediately credited towards the voting occuring over social media. Votes will be tallied possibly per week (Bitcointalk+social media). So the number of votes reflected on Coins Source may not be the actual count at any time.

Again for all specific Candidate URL pages: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hcphJLfALJwqhpR_H3yxlYgmLShhr_6ahlt7Gq2Aj_k/edit?usp=sharing

Edit: Bitcointalk voting is restricted to 250 Activity+ Full-Members/Senior-Members++ and beyond only. Information regarding how to vote on this thread is on page 42.

If you have any questions, feel free to post them here and we'll respond as soon as we can.

Happy voting everyone!

take special notice of the red highlighted info !! Any BTC member below 250 activity should choose alternative voting methode.
and any BTC member who voted before this exact page should vote again !!  --> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=855130.msg9711411#msg9711411

edit : and yes.. this all pretty much sucks !!
edit : eh and yes, i'm done editing now Smiley

Libertario

Activity: 118
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 01, 2014, 10:46:37 PM

I understand your desire to have choices, but comparing DRK to Apple is fighting talk.  Cheesy

I agree with precedent opinion!
For me, bitcoin:microsoft = darkcoin:apple
(the % of users is like this)
((sorry for my bad english))
semajjames

Activity: 528
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 01, 2014, 10:46:59 PM

Sounds normal to me ,,, I don't see why ppl should expect to be able to spend their coins whilst they are being anonymised

however disabling the stop seems a little intrusive  
Pages: « 1 ... 3558 3559 3560 3561 3562 3563 3564 3565 3566 3567 3568 3569 3570 3571 3572 3573 3574 3575 3576 3577 3578 3579 3580 3581 3582 3583 3584 3585 3586 3587 3588 3589 3590 3591 3592 3593 3594 3595 3596 3597 3598 3599 3600 3601 3602 3603 3604 3605 3606 3607 [3608] 3609 3610 3611 3612 3613 3614 3615 3616 3617 3618 3619 3620 3621 3622 3623 3624 3625 3626 3627 3628 3629 3630 3631 3632 3633 3634 3635 3636 3637 3638 3639 3640 3641 3642 3643 3644 3645 3646 3647 3648 3649 3650 3651 3652 3653 3654 3655 3656 3657 3658 ... 7012 »
  Print  

Jump to: