Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 03:26:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 ... 396 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [POT]PotCoin - Banking for the Legal Cannabis Industry ✦ ✦ ✦Grow With Us ✦ ✦ ✦  (Read 920051 times)
Vinculin

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 03:48:10 AM

edging toward 2ghash =)

FYI - i have actually stopped mining, i feel that even with my speed it is not even really viable at this stage (below 5mhash)

No room for me to mine too (with a single 280X only) with such difficulty..

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sevoque

Activity: 196

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 03:57:07 AM

over 2.15 ghash and over 20 diff..

i am not gona bother mining now, lol, this is where i feel holding comes in handy Cheesy
sevoque

Activity: 196

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 04:04:27 AM

heaidng toward 3ghash real quick

net hash has more than doubled in last 24hrs
ny2cafuse
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1002

HODL for life.

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 04:06:27 AM

Man there are people hashing at 35,000 kh/s what is going on here... smells like asic script mining

35MH is nothing, man.  It's just a lot of GPUs in a mining farm.

-Fuse

Community > Devs
piropig

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 04:08:29 AM

Man there are people hashing at 35,000 kh/s what is going on here... smells like asic script mining

its hashing farms.  there are people that have spent a bunch of money on video cards.  google it and you will see some big farms people have created.  dont think asics are out yet. 
ny2cafuse
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1002

HODL for life.

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 04:12:47 AM

There are dual mode asics out already, but they aren't worth the cost, imo.  You need to sink $3k for something that does the same hash rate of GPU rigs at less cost.  Power is the deciding factor, but still not really worth it unless you're paying an arm and a leg for electric.

Give them a few months, and the dedicated ASICs will be out and might be better as far as kh/$.  But GPUs will still be very relevant.

-Fuse

Community > Devs
piropig

Activity: 60

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 04:19:27 AM

you would also need an insane amount of those to match the hashing power of some of the people who have 200000-300000 khs.  alphas asics were expensive but i believe will be worth it.  still less than half the cost of going with enough cards to match hashing power and waaaayyy less power usage.  cant wait!!
efarah2549

Activity: 98

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 04:28:34 AM

over 2.15 ghash and over 20 diff..

i am not gona bother mining now, lol, this is where i feel holding comes in handy Cheesy
I don't know why you would just stop what else are you going to mine?  I think I'm coming to the point where I'll use my PC for gaming again I've been craving ac4 for a week, but I've only got 150kh/s though
drduck

Activity: 83

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 06:51:41 AM

new poll announced:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=444266.new#new

please cast your votes

Please vote!

PotCoin [POT] Supporter => http://www.potcoin.com/
Lovethecoins

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 07:03:55 AM

What is potcoin mining rate compared to others? Also is there a site I can check too see these things... great job great coin great community

drduck

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 08:10:45 AM

hashco.ws has added POT. Huge sign for breakthrough!

blaze10to10

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 08:32:21 AM

Im on pot.hashfast.de from the first day.

No problems. Very stable. Nice and instand support on IRC!!
Recommend this pool for all new miners!

Same here! 4 professional admins. Nice DDOS protection. Only working pool for me during the attacks.

This pool is constantly working.

+1

I love this pool. Works well. No downtimes. Stable mining without pain!

pot.hashfast.de
drduck

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 08:36:44 AM

Maybe devs should think about adding Kimotos Gravity? Anyone with thoughts and insights
about pros and cons of this?

Khaoimon

Activity: 59

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 08:54:40 AM
Last edit: February 02, 2014, 09:40:46 AM by Khaoimon

For the devs I would also considering when approaching business to consider their profit margin.  If its a 10% margin (usually it is less for many businesses but just as an example) if they considered accepting 5% of the sale in coin and the rest in fiat then it would be an investment for them.  If the price rises considerably, like some guess (say .00004 to .001,.01, etc), their profit margin on those sales would increase substantially.  

This would allow them to try it, without going into red revenue, while still being able to embrace the idea and possibly profit greatly from being an early adopter.  From a business standpoint the idea of accepting it outright is a tough decision when many of these businesses are not making giant profits.  Another idea, would be accepting a certain amount per day so someone didn't jump on their website and drop 2mil coins, leaving the risk in their hands.

If any of them are following crypto closely they are aware of the fluctuations and the (sometimes) difficulty and volatility of dropping a large number of coins on the market to cash out.  Giving them ideas in this regard may take some from strict 'no way's to 'hmm, we can find a way to work with this'.

Them working with it gives it substance, and eventually stability in comparison to bitcoin and the other altcoins.  I would never accept a large volume of volatile currency when considering the underlying cost of my business, but supporting it as an investment that did not impact my ability to operate would be a completely different idea.  As stability comes I would be able to rely on it more and more and I know my customers would love it--it would even become a selling point which would cause others to have to use it as a selling point.
zedicus
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2014, 09:38:07 AM

Is the difficulty really at 16!

****!! Its was at 10.5 yesterday! ~

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
dogechode

Activity: 182

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 09:44:34 AM

For the devs I would also considering when approaching business to consider their profit margin.  If its a 10% margin (usually it is less for many businesses but just as an example) if they considered accepting 5% of the sale in coin and the rest in fiat then it would be an investment for them.  If the price rises considerably, like some guess (say .00004 to .001,.01, etc), their profit margin on those sales would increase substantially.  

This would allow them to try it, without going into red revenue, while still being able to embrace the idea and possibly profit greatly from being an early adopter.  From a business standpoint the idea of accepting it outright is a tough decision when many of these businesses are not making giant profits.  Another idea, would be accepting a certain amount per day so someone didn't jump on their website and drop 2mil coins, leaving the risk in their hands.

If any of them are following crypto closely they are aware of the fluctuations and the (sometimes) difficulty and volatility of dropping a large number of coins on the market to cash out.  Giving them ideas in this regard may take some from strict 'no way's to 'hmm, we can find a way to work with this'.

Them working with it gives it substance, and eventually stability in comparison to bitcoin and the other altcoins.  I would never accept a large volume of volatile currency when considering the underlying cost of my business, but supporting it as an investment that did not impact my ability to operate would be a completely different idea.  As stability comes I would be able to rely on it more and more and I know my customers would love it--it would even become a selling point which would cause others to have to use it as a selling point.

Dude I seriously doubt any credible business is accepting cryptocoins with the intention of holding them as an investment. You are missing the bigger point here. They can accept crypto and save HUGE on transaction fees. A lot of businesses pay a few % of the transaction toward visa/mc/amex etc when a customer uses a credit card. With crypto, they could pay almost nothing (just what it costs them to exchange the currency to fiat, which should be a lot less than their credit card fees.) Also they can potentially increase their sales by accepting any additional payment method...that is why businesses take credit cards, food stamps, etc rather than only accepting cash.
drduck

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 09:46:07 AM

Is the difficulty really at 16!

****!! Its was at 10.5 yesterday! ~

Yes that is crazy! I guess i will stop mining now ;(

Kimoto's Gravity Well?

Khaoimon

Activity: 59

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 09:56:32 AM
Last edit: February 02, 2014, 02:04:59 PM by Khaoimon

Dude I seriously doubt any credible business is accepting cryptocoins with the intention of holding them as an investment. You are missing the bigger point here. They can accept crypto and save HUGE on transaction fees. A lot of businesses pay a few % of the transaction toward visa/mc/amex etc when a customer uses a credit card. With crypto, they could pay almost nothing (just what it costs them to exchange the currency to fiat, which should be a lot less than their credit card fees.) Also they can potentially increase their sales by accepting any additional payment method...that is why businesses take credit cards, food stamps, etc rather than only accepting cash.
At least in the US the power I see in this is not transaction fees.  With it still being federally illegal and the standpoint possibly changing with the next president many people do not want transactions with known retailers on their records.  They would prefer to deal in cash--which supports the idea of crypto.  Going to an ATM before a shop is not an out of the way transaction.  This is a risk to the seller as they have not only product to be taken, but large amounts of cash(say in a coordinated robbery).  But with that cash you are considering crypto fees vs no fees as well.

The other side of that is, these are budding businesses, just opening with huge investments that are nowhere near paid off.  To take something that could plummet in value tomorrow is dangerous.  Also, the volume is not moving greatly because it has not been adopted widely.  Even $1,000(30,000 coins-ish) worth a day would be a risk--and an expense in the terms of the time of having someone monitor markets and making sure you could drop it for what you charged.  If I was doing 20-30k a day, I wouldn't dare take half of that in coins I might not be able to sell unless I was hoping for future gain (and mind you 30k a day is not profit, its revenue-there are employees, rent, utilities, production, transport, etc, to pay).  The only way I would ever accept it when my future as a business was in question would be as a portion of profit only.  By putting faith in the system, and being one of the first to take it, I would have to assume that it is viable, and my competitors have to eventually take it as well.  Hence, investment.  It would be a short sell, but still, if I would consider it worth the risk of accepting at all, it would mean I put some faith behind it.  Faith in its adoption would mean I would want to consider how much I could take to ride out for a week or two, or more, without endangering my business.

It is also worth mentioning that I work with a single business that spends tens of thousands on transaction fees(on a corp level it would be tens of millions for our multi billion dollar corp) as a credit card merchant.  As easy as it is to talk about, with crypto, you pay a trade fee, and then when you withdraw in fiat. Unless you take more risky low currency value measures, you also pay a fee to withdraw and in some cases another fee to take from the party you withdrew to, to your bank account.  While you can find ways to do it to lower fees, its difficult in large volumes, and with a large daily revenue business you are talking about large sums of money are that are not easy to transfer through lesser exchanges with lower fees.  I've been able to transfer out 1,000 without fees, and by other means I've seen 1,000 turn into 900 (a huge 10% between selling, transferring out of exchange and then transferring from that party to the bank).  The grass is only partially greener.  In a large business having someone handle this day to day while accounting for prices charged vs prices sold at and market fluctuations, you have to consider actually paying someone to do that.  A whole different discussion is crypto developers streamlining that to make it not an accounting nightmare, but currently, there is a cost to that.  You could argue that a wonderful program could be created to do that by the company--exploiting the best lines into fiat, profit vs flux, when to hold, when to sell, monitoring fraud, etc--but since it does not currently exist, the development costs alone for a multimillion dollar business would not offset the merchant fees.  

So yes, as a business considering the value of accepting the coin outright vs a smart idea to increase my PROFIT some, there is a lot to consider.  No business, starting with investors--whether their own money or others, is going to risk going red on revenue (or more red as many business do not make profit for years), to grab a few more customers(and yes, us cryptos are still a small minority in the world view of customers or even in the Colorado view of customers).  To take a cut of profit and gamble that it becomes more profit is a risk a CEO and CFO can get behind.  While you might not be thinking on a corp level, even small pot shops have people behind them trying to make money with business minds and in many cases educations.  These are serious considerations.

In the long term you are completely right.  In the short term, and getting people to start with it, I disagree.  If you are considering countries that it is completely legitimate in, that is a completely different question.  I was just suggesting an idea, that might get more people on board.  Not trying to discredit the idea of it as a 100% pay currency.  It is perfect for this emerging industry, but the implications are very different depending what country and economic impact you are considering.  Selling the idea to Amsterdam with long established businesses vs Colorado with weeks to months old businesses are completely different playing fields.  Both may be interested and stand to profit, but how you sell it to an invested party in different markets will make or break their interest. I want this to succeed, so yes, I submit an idea beyond  'possibly' saving on credit card fees for another path for the dev's to market toward potential businesses.

davetheshrew

Activity: 140

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 10:11:07 AM

looks like hash cows are focusing on pot, could the devs give any indication what happens if they take 51% of the hashrate? looks like its getting there

My [POT] address PKGbqyqnVLvMoxmYq1YAm7dKAxue52LeNj
zedicus
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2014, 12:58:18 PM
Last edit: February 02, 2014, 01:14:54 PM by zedicus

many people do not want transactions with known retailers on their records.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/02/technology/when-no-one-is-just-a-face-in-the-crowd.html?_r=0

We are all going to be Very Important People soon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktvTqknDobU

I'm waking up, I feel it in my bones
Enough to make my systems blow
Welcome to the new age, to the new age

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 ... 396 »
  Print  

Jump to: