Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 09:37:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 [371] 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 ... 1311 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Ethereum: Welcome to the Beginning  (Read 2004206 times)
connexus

Activity: 774
Merit: 503

View Profile
May 09, 2016, 09:27:16 AM

Really interesting thing. It looks like this DAO is 2nd highest funded crowdfunding project of all time Shocked

Just finished listeining to https://letstalkbitcoin.com/blog/post/the-ether-review-26-the-dao-is-here

the future is bright and this becoming more more relevant

Listened to the show. Glad that "the DAO" and Ethereum is getting attention in the media and helping spread the word.
Just the fact that over 3 million ETH has currently been invested in "The DAO", or close to $USD 30 million is newsworthy in itself!

How long will that 3 million Ethereum be locked? How can you get your Etheruem back after you invest in the DAO?

Maybe after the crowdsale is over but I'm not sure. I think you need to sell back your DAO tokens in exchange for Ethereum.
revelacaogr
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1021

2009 Alea iacta est

View Profile
May 09, 2016, 10:15:28 AM

Really interesting thing. It looks like this DAO is 2nd highest funded crowdfunding project of all time Shocked

Just finished listeining to https://letstalkbitcoin.com/blog/post/the-ether-review-26-the-dao-is-here

Listened to the show. Glad that "the DAO" and Ethereum is getting attention in the media and helping spread the word.
Just the fact that over 3 million ETH has currently been invested in "The DAO", or close to $USD 30 million is newsworthy in itself!

How long will that 3 million Ethereum be locked? How can you get your Etheruem back after you invest in the DAO?

Maybe after the crowdsale is over but I'm not sure. I think you need to sell back your DAO tokens in exchange for Ethereum.

https://forum.daohub.org/t/how-do-we-get-our-eth-back-from-dao-tokens/749

How do we get our Eth back from DAO tokens?

GriffGreen

. Technically if you invest at 1 eth per 100 tokens and split immediately after the 28 day creation period and before any other proposals are accepted, you'll be getting back a little more than you put in.. but you also won't be entitled to rewards from future proposals. If you split after the slock.it (or any other) proposal is accepted, you'll get back less than you put in, but will be entitled to future rewards from any proposals that passed before you split.
I know you know you were mistaken now, but I want to elaborate so that people don't think this is actually possible.

I am going to slam down a wall of text... I am sooooo Sorry!!! But this stuff is not simple and if you want to fully understand it, I want to give you that option!

TL;DR

After the Creation phase is over, the DAO will hold 1 ETH for every 100 DAO tokens. The extra ETH raised above this amount because of the higher prices during the last 1/2 of the Creation phase is sent to an account called extraBalance (to avoid your potential attack vector), this extraBalance will be added back into the DAO only after the DAO has spent this amount of ETH or more on Proposals, so that 100 DAO can never be backed by more than 1 ETH in the DAO.

Here is my normal Schpeal on splits for more information:

Ok so The DAO Creation phase will be 28 days long:

2 weeks: 1 ETH for 100 DAO

10 days: A daily increase of .05 ETH per day

4 days: 1.5 ETH for 100 DAO

Until the Creation phase is over you cannot trade tokens, the DAO cannot pass proposals and DAO token Holders cannot split the DAO....

After the Creation phase is over, the DAO will hold 1 ETH for every 100 DAO tokens. The extra ETH raised above this amount because of the higher prices during the last 1/2 of the Creation phase is sent to an account called extraBalance (to avoid a potential attack vector), this extraBalance will be added back into the DAO only after the DAO has spent this amount of ETH or more on Proposals, so that 100 DAO can never be backed by more than 1 ETH in the DAO.

DAO Token Holders can always sell DAO tokens on an exchange, and Bittrex and Gatecoin will be open for DAO token trading as soon as the Creation phase is complete. But we wanted to make sure that the DAO Token Holders are always in control of their fair portion of the ETH and Reward Tokens that the DAO holds at all times. We want the fully autonomous DAO to be made up of fully autonomous DAO Token Holders!

To do that we had to enable “Splits.” The way Splits work:

Any DAO Token Holder (DTH) can create a Proposal to request a new Curator. In the case of a private split they would name themselves as the new Curator (but this can also be done as a new open-to-the-public DAO Creation).

The DTH would vote for their own proposal.

They will call the function SplitDAO() and split The DAO.

Their old DAO tokens will be destroyed, the digital assets that the old DAO tokens represented will be moved to the user’s new personal DAO where they control 100% of the new DAO tokens to do with what they wish. (Including sending their ETH to an exchange if they desire).

I say digital assets because there is the ETH but also, if the ETH gets spent on proposals, then they are replaced by Reward tokens.. But reward tokens deserve their own question :stuck_out_tongue:

The point of This functionality is to save the DTH in the case of a bad Curator or some other kind of attack. It also allows groups of DTHs to split from the main DAO and accept proposals that were not able to be passed in the main DAO.

I do not expect splits to be used to actually Cash out of the DAO for trading purposes, it is much simpler just to trade the DAO tokens on an exchange. But in the case that DTHs see an oppertunity that they do or do not want to pursue, then they have the option to Split the DAO with their ETH and their Reward Tokens. They control these assets at all times.

So what this really means is that DAO tokens are effectively backed by ETH and Reward tokens :slight_smile:

So if you start with 100 DAO tokens, they are BACKED by 1 ETH at the end of the Creation phase. You control your DAO tokens so you can trade them to exchanges, or do what ever you want with them at any time, you will always hold 100 DAO tokens, there is no way for them to evaporate from your account unless you choose to split.

When a proposal is passed sending 20% of the DAO's ETH to the Proposal's Smart Contract, your 100 DAO tokens are now backed by 0.8 ETH and 0.2 Reward tokens (forgetting about the extra balance complication).

So the Value of DAO tokens as the value for anything is always in the Eye of the Beholder. but there is effectively a minimum value held because DAO tokens are backed by ETH so the holder can always Split the DAO to retrieve it.

But after that 20% proposal if you decide to do a "solo" Split with your 100 DAO tokens, you will burn your DAO tokens (effectively lowering the total supply) and receive newDAO tokens for your own personalNewDAO.
The newDAO tokens will be backed by the reward tokens and ETH that are held in the personalNewDAO, but you of course hold all of these tokens so you can rob your personalNewDAO of all the ETH that is in there.

The Reward Tokens cannot be transferred except by spliting. So now your personalNewDAO has 0.2 reward tokens in it and you have sent 0.8 ETH to your self but your newDAO tokens still have value because they are backed by 0.2 Reward tokens.... We will see what solutions the free market comes up with fof trading these newDAO tokens... but I hope that answers your question.
kliown

Activity: 1080
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 09, 2016, 12:09:33 PM

I buy ether on poloniex,
Can i send my ether to backup online wallet myetherwallet.com ?
Legendary

Activity: 1382
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 09, 2016, 12:20:34 PM

I buy ether on poloniex,

For backup I would definitely use a local wallet rather than keeping funds online on someone else's computer!
I use Mist, https://github.com/ethereum/mist/releases works great, though it takes a long time to download the blockchain before you can start using it.
jalmari

Activity: 814
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 09, 2016, 12:22:15 PM

Some basic (maybe stupid) questions regarding smart contracts:

A) When a contract is executed, is it executed in all full nodes?
B) If A is true, if I run full node, does that mean that my machine is executing the contract code each time some one is calling a contract?
C) If B is true, doesnt that require quite a lot of cpu?

▄▄██▄▄
          ▄▄██████████▄▄
      ▄▄██████████████████▄▄
  ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▀▀██████████▄▄
▄█████████▀▀          ▀▀█████████▄
██████▀▀        ▄▄        ▀▀██████
██████      ▄▄██████▄▄      ██████
██████    ██████████████    ██████
██████      ▀▀██████▀▀      ██████
██████          ▀▀        ▄▄██████
▀█████    ▄▄          ▄▄█████████▀
   ▀▀█    ████▄▄ ▄▄██████████▀▀
          ████████████████▀▀
          ▀▀██████████▀▀
              ▀▀██▀▀
P H O R E

█
    █
   █
  █
   █
    █
   █
  █
 █
    KryptKoin rebranded to Phore   
     █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █
PoS 3.0  –  Masternodes  –  Zerocoin

█
    █
   █
  █
   █
    █
   █
  █
 █

▄▄██▄▄
        ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄▄████████▀▀████████▄▄
 ▄████████▀▀      ▀▀████████▄
▐█████▀▀              ▀▀█████▌
▐████       ▄▄██▄▄       ████▌
▐████    ▄██████████▄    ████▌
▐████    ████████████    ████▌
▐████    ▀██████████▀    ████▌
▐████       ▀▀██▀▀       ████▌
 ▀███                 ▄▄█████▌
    ▀    █▄▄      ▄▄████████▀
         █████▄▄████████▀▀
         ▀██████████▀▀
            ▀▀██▀▀
bcmine

Activity: 1014
Merit: 1055

View Profile
May 09, 2016, 12:42:22 PM

https://forum.daohub.org/t/how-do-we-get-our-eth-back-from-dao-tokens/749

How do we get our Eth back from DAO tokens?

GriffGreen

. Technically if you invest at 1 eth per 100 tokens and split immediately after the 28 day creation period and before any other proposals are accepted, you'll be getting back a little more than you put in.. but you also won't be entitled to rewards from future proposals. If you split after the slock.it (or any other) proposal is accepted, you'll get back less than you put in, but will be entitled to future rewards from any proposals that passed before you split.
I know you know you were mistaken now, but I want to elaborate so that people don't think this is actually possible.

I am going to slam down a wall of text... I am sooooo Sorry!!! But this stuff is not simple and if you want to fully understand it, I want to give you that option!

TL;DR

After the Creation phase is over, the DAO will hold 1 ETH for every 100 DAO tokens. The extra ETH raised above this amount because of the higher prices during the last 1/2 of the Creation phase is sent to an account called extraBalance (to avoid your potential attack vector), this extraBalance will be added back into the DAO only after the DAO has spent this amount of ETH or more on Proposals, so that 100 DAO can never be backed by more than 1 ETH in the DAO.

Here is my normal Schpeal on splits for more information:

Ok so The DAO Creation phase will be 28 days long:

2 weeks: 1 ETH for 100 DAO

10 days: A daily increase of .05 ETH per day

4 days: 1.5 ETH for 100 DAO

Until the Creation phase is over you cannot trade tokens, the DAO cannot pass proposals and DAO token Holders cannot split the DAO....

After the Creation phase is over, the DAO will hold 1 ETH for every 100 DAO tokens. The extra ETH raised above this amount because of the higher prices during the last 1/2 of the Creation phase is sent to an account called extraBalance (to avoid a potential attack vector), this extraBalance will be added back into the DAO only after the DAO has spent this amount of ETH or more on Proposals, so that 100 DAO can never be backed by more than 1 ETH in the DAO.

DAO Token Holders can always sell DAO tokens on an exchange, and Bittrex and Gatecoin will be open for DAO token trading as soon as the Creation phase is complete. But we wanted to make sure that the DAO Token Holders are always in control of their fair portion of the ETH and Reward Tokens that the DAO holds at all times. We want the fully autonomous DAO to be made up of fully autonomous DAO Token Holders!

To do that we had to enable “Splits.” The way Splits work:

Any DAO Token Holder (DTH) can create a Proposal to request a new Curator. In the case of a private split they would name themselves as the new Curator (but this can also be done as a new open-to-the-public DAO Creation).

The DTH would vote for their own proposal.

They will call the function SplitDAO() and split The DAO.

Their old DAO tokens will be destroyed, the digital assets that the old DAO tokens represented will be moved to the user’s new personal DAO where they control 100% of the new DAO tokens to do with what they wish. (Including sending their ETH to an exchange if they desire).

I say digital assets because there is the ETH but also, if the ETH gets spent on proposals, then they are replaced by Reward tokens.. But reward tokens deserve their own question :stuck_out_tongue:

The point of This functionality is to save the DTH in the case of a bad Curator or some other kind of attack. It also allows groups of DTHs to split from the main DAO and accept proposals that were not able to be passed in the main DAO.

I do not expect splits to be used to actually Cash out of the DAO for trading purposes, it is much simpler just to trade the DAO tokens on an exchange. But in the case that DTHs see an oppertunity that they do or do not want to pursue, then they have the option to Split the DAO with their ETH and their Reward Tokens. They control these assets at all times.

So what this really means is that DAO tokens are effectively backed by ETH and Reward tokens :slight_smile:

So if you start with 100 DAO tokens, they are BACKED by 1 ETH at the end of the Creation phase. You control your DAO tokens so you can trade them to exchanges, or do what ever you want with them at any time, you will always hold 100 DAO tokens, there is no way for them to evaporate from your account unless you choose to split.

When a proposal is passed sending 20% of the DAO's ETH to the Proposal's Smart Contract, your 100 DAO tokens are now backed by 0.8 ETH and 0.2 Reward tokens (forgetting about the extra balance complication).

So the Value of DAO tokens as the value for anything is always in the Eye of the Beholder. but there is effectively a minimum value held because DAO tokens are backed by ETH so the holder can always Split the DAO to retrieve it.

But after that 20% proposal if you decide to do a "solo" Split with your 100 DAO tokens, you will burn your DAO tokens (effectively lowering the total supply) and receive newDAO tokens for your own personalNewDAO.
The newDAO tokens will be backed by the reward tokens and ETH that are held in the personalNewDAO, but you of course hold all of these tokens so you can rob your personalNewDAO of all the ETH that is in there.

The Reward Tokens cannot be transferred except by spliting. So now your personalNewDAO has 0.2 reward tokens in it and you have sent 0.8 ETH to your self but your newDAO tokens still have value because they are backed by 0.2 Reward tokens.... We will see what solutions the free market comes up with fof trading these newDAO tokens... but I hope that answers your question.

this sounds very complicated.

I guess the most easy one is buying with btc on gatecoin exchange.
wilson039

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 09, 2016, 01:01:36 PM

Hi guys, I wanted to share a new mining pool. http://www.ethermine.co Enjoy!
kliown

Activity: 1080

View Profile
May 09, 2016, 01:17:58 PM

I buy ether on poloniex,

For backup I would definitely use a local wallet rather than keeping funds online on someone else's computer!
I use Mist, https://github.com/ethereum/mist/releases works great, though it takes a long time to download the blockchain before you can start using it.
I try local wallet on my computer windows 32 bit, wallet error
Any solution?

So i can still received and send ether on backup myetherwallet
aurigae

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2016, 08:06:53 PM

Is it possible to mine ATI GPU's (HD series) with 1024MB or less RAM ?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Washika

Activity: 332
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 09, 2016, 08:09:01 PM

Is it possible to mine GPU's with 1024MB or less RAM ?

No. You need at least 2GB GPU memory.
aurigae

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2016, 08:14:19 PM

Is it possible to mine GPU's with 1024MB or less RAM ?

No. You need at least 2GB GPU memory.
No way to chunk up the DAG?

If no, how fast is the DAG growing? Will 2GB/4GB be sufficient in a year from now?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Brazzers1080p

Activity: 51

View Profile
May 09, 2016, 08:15:11 PM

Hi guys!
I wanted to ask if I can mine eth without downloading the whole blockchain...I will send my money directly to polo so keep that in mind!
smaxz

Activity: 430
Merit: 253

VeganAcademy

View Profile
May 09, 2016, 09:29:13 PM

Hi guys!
I wanted to ask if I can mine eth without downloading the whole blockchain...I will send my money directly to polo so keep that in mind!
of course you can. it is not recommended to sent mining rewards directly to exchange wallets though. although i personally have not had any issues with it in the past.

you will have a DAG file created for mining ethereum though which you may have confused with the blockchain. you will still need 2GB or more of video memory.

- NGdTwHRSdnThdi1drQuHGT3khAHRtZ1HMq -
Mrpumperitis
Legendary

Activity: 2744
Merit: 1075

View Profile
May 10, 2016, 12:45:44 AM

https://twitter.com/4YFN_MWC/status/702180445170098176
And the winner for the #4YFN Awards #IoT is.... @slockitproject Well done guys!!
"The 4YFN Awards is the world's largest startup competition on mobile technologies and business models which will benefit the lives of digital entrepreneurs and will highlight the most promising projects. International media, global investors, innovation directors and potential clients will be attending the 4YFN Awards looking for the world´s top startups. The chosen 24 finalists will travel to Barcelona to pitch to investors, media, potential clients and the best qualified jury of experts, but only 3 will be the best 4YFN mobile startups of the year."
Congrats @slockitproject - winner of this years @4YFN_MWC awards - internet of things! #MWC16

slockit ip.....https://www.reddit.com/r/slockit/comments/4373br/will_there_be_an_announcement_when_the_crowdsale/    
count me in guys  Grin Grin Grin Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09R8_2nJtjg&ebc=ANyPxKryitE5AIxUvNk1WHALgCQEfh35JoF2avFmIXUbpVaHs9fnqH45vyoPLnQfdY4Sxku_ExhzMrlPeXwrhO4rsaPB_6z3sw   Maroon 5 - Sugar     Grin Grin
, Thanks to THE DAO, Slockit proposal will get my votes
I got DAOed today  Tongue
50% less ETH now  Cry 
But already buying more ETH right now  Grin

Technically Bitcoin is a fork and Bitcoin Cash is the original blockchain.When the hard fork occurred, people had access to the same amount of coins on Bitcoin and Bitcoin Cash.- NIST
arielbit
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1059

View Profile
May 10, 2016, 01:13:35 AM

having trouble having peers here with my wallet...any add nodes or something like that?
Maicol792
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1010

View Profile
May 10, 2016, 06:24:31 AM

BTC is an Empty box ... ETH is an Full box  Kiss  Cool
RastoMan

Activity: 294

View Profile
May 10, 2016, 07:00:09 AM

having trouble having peers here with my wallet...any add nodes or something like that?

You just need to be patient. It happens to me some times. After a few hours wait, I will get peer and block update.
Brazzers1080p

Activity: 51

View Profile
May 10, 2016, 07:06:15 AM

Hi guys!
of course you can. it is not recommended to sent mining rewards directly to exchange wallets though. although i personally have not had any issues with it in the past.

you will have a DAG file created for mining ethereum though which you may have confused with the blockchain. you will still need 2GB or more of video memory.

Thanks bro.So now how do I delete the whole blockchain shit?
nembit86

Activity: 588

NEM ....best currency distribution ever ...!!!!!!!

View Profile
May 10, 2016, 07:06:34 AM

hi newbie here.......      I downloaded win 64 0.7.2  wallet     it says node needs to synch ........how long does it take to sync ?   and it says listening on {::}:30303

......is this normal ?....am I on the right track ?..

NDZ4YPCKVKWAIIZBB5T7T5EL67N2XWPQODGGWIYT
brianlee01

Activity: 476

View Profile
May 10, 2016, 07:17:51 AM

hi newbie here.......      I downloaded win 64 0.7.2  wallet     it says node needs to synch ........how long does it take to sync ?   and it says listening on {::}:30303

......is this normal ?....am I on the right track ?..
Do you have download geth? If not download it first
Releases ethereum/go-ethereum

geth 1.4.0 win64
Do not know how long it take to sync done with 1,000,000+ block. It depend on your network or device spec.
Pages: « 1 ... 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 [371] 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 ... 1311 »
  Print  

Jump to: